N-Europe

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

Serebii

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't wait for some good ol' fashioned Geoff and Reggie banter seeing as the bIg man himself is coming.

These guys should seriously do a let's play together sometimes.

Geoff is great in not letting Reggie off the hook. Not afraid to ask Challenging questions.

I'd actually expect it to be mostly WiiU footage, isn't it a WiiU game through and through simply being ported to switch? I'm certain the only reason it has been delayed again for Wii U past March is because of porting problems and wanting to release it on Switch first. If it wasn't for this transformers tablet then we'd no doubt be playing Zelda this Christmas if not a few months ago.

I can't help but think Rabbids and Mario is a truly awful mix but then I'm another person who only knows them from their minigame early Wii days, if what I've read about Rabbids Land is true then perhaps I don't have to be so worried. It still doesn't do much for the Mario brand or even the Switch in trying to start afresh and away from that whole Wii era stuff. Nothing says 'casual Wii' more than Rabbids.

I'd actually expect it to be mostly WiiU footage, isn't it a WiiU game through and through simply being ported to switch? I'm certain the only reason it has been delayed again for Wii U past March is because of porting problems and wanting to release it on Switch first. If it wasn't for this transformers tablet then we'd no doubt be playing Zelda this Christmas if not a few months ago.

I can't help but think Rabbids and Mario is a truly awful mix but then I'm another person who only knows them from their minigame early Wii days, if what I've read about Rabbids Land is true then perhaps I don't have to be so worried. It still doesn't do much for the Mario brand or even the Switch in trying to start afresh and away from that whole Wii era stuff. Nothing says 'casual Wii' more than Rabbids.

Would of been a real shame. Zelda would of been wasted being released solely on a dead platform.

Would of been a real shame. Zelda would of been wasted being released solely on a dead platform.

It's true that it would be foolish to have done it for this Christmas, but if they could have released it last Christmas as previously promised (and Miyamoto DID promise before anyone jumps to their defence) then it could easily have done a couple of million considering the high attach rate for first party software on the system and wouldn't have left so many Wii U fans sour.

They could have then done a GTA 5 and released an improved version for switch, raking in money twice. As it stands they've messed around WiiU owners due to many failings, such as failing to allow appropriate development time, allowing the system to die so dramatically and by promising things that were clearly unrealistic.

I just really hope they've learnt their lessons for switch as I can't believe we're in the exact same situation as we were with Twilight Princess. It's certainly a step too far for me and I won't getting a switch at launch.

I don't know what my point is, I'm just annoyed about it and wanted to vent :p I didn't watch the new trailer because at this point it feels more milked than the Smash Dojo.

To save you all time I'll reply to myself with this:

“A delayed game is eventually good, a bad game is bad forever.”

― Shigeru Miyamoto

It's one of the reasons that it's a shame Yooka-Laylee was crowdfunded, I think Playtonic would have switched development from Wii U to Switch by now but they're contractually obliged to release it for Wii U because of the Kickstarter.

More news today, there will be a hands on event for the public on January 13th in New York, so hopefully there are other events announced around the world soon after.

First off, it wouldn't be the first time a crowdfunded game gets a promised version or feature dropped.

Second... Who said they can't release for both?

First off, it wouldn't be the first time a crowdfunded game gets a promised version or feature dropped.

Second... Who said they can't release for both?

Of course it wouldn't be the first time promises have been broken, but crowdfunded games have got something of a negative press in recent months so companies like Playtonic are more likely to play it safe and follow through with their initial promise.

And it will undoubtedly come to the Switch at some point, my argument was simply that if they had ditched the Wii U version in favour of developing one for the Switch then the Switch version would be able to come out at the same time as other platforms, rather than a few months down the road as will probably be the case.

They could have then done a GTA 5 and released an improved version for switch, raking in money twice. As it stands they've messed around WiiU owners due to many failings, such as failing to allow appropriate development time, allowing the system to die so dramatically and by promising things that were clearly unrealistic.

Now this is the really pertinent point. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this trend of remakes and HD remasters - it's all about choice. Nintendo, however, has a habit of winding people up by taking away that type of choice and making dual releases where each holds back the other.

Not that I'm emotionally invested in the game this time (unlike Twilight Princess). I still think it looks great and will probably prefer it on Switch. I just thought it was a good point.

That quote isn't really relevant any more due to the ability to patch games. A bad game at launch doesn't mean it'll be a bad game forever. :D

I think the Miyamoto quote absolutely still applies. A patched bad game will in all likelihood still be bad. Patches are more for fixing bugs or issues rather than suddenly making a bad game (at its core) good.

Wind Waker was rushed and that's one of the greatest Zelda games ever made.

And Majora's Mask was put out in one year!

I wouldn't mind them using the world of Breath of the Wild again and give it a unique overhaul in the same vain they reused much of the assets of Ocarina of Time for Majora's Mask.

That quote isn't really relevant any more due to the ability to patch games. A bad game at launch doesn't mean it'll be a bad game forever. :D

Unfortunately, that attitude with publishers has all but destroyed quality control and we end up with broken games with the mindset of "Oh they'll fix it later" which is a terrible thing

This idea that games releasing with bugs is new/more common is fallacious. Games have always had bugs, but we just used to give them names (Missingo) or exploit them for speed runs (Zelda, Mario).

Weirdly now that we can patch them more we accept it less. Whether it's because it's easier for us to find them now and talk about them I don't know, but they're certainly not new and it's certainly not something Nintendo don't suffer from, although they are better than most.

I think the Miyamoto quote absolutely still applies. A patched bad game will in all likelihood still be bad. Patches are more for fixing bugs or issues rather than suddenly making a bad game (at its core) good.

No Man's Sky and Drive Club both had patches that fundamentally change the game and open it up. Less common, but a patch can do more than fix a bug.

Edited by Ashley