NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

If it ends up being $250 in America then it probably wouldn't cost any more than £220 over here, even with an inflated price. I think they'd appeal to a lot of people at a price point that low.

£220 would be a great price, but I suspect if it's $250 it'll be £250 here.

If it ends up being $250 in America then it probably wouldn't cost any more than £220 over here, even with an inflated price. I think they'd appeal to a lot of people at a price point that low.

If that's £250 with a game that isn't BotW then that would be very close to being my Day 1 purchase price. The strange thing is, even with that price, I'm still feeling a little apprehensive and might not get it on launch but maybe a few months after instead - just to see what thoughts and feelings are generally first.

Hopefully I'm more of a minority with the above, but if not then I do have to wonder if it might be slow to take off which won't be great for it. I'd also wonder if it's going to come out around £220 here whether it'll go for a paid online model like the competition. I think...£280 for the system, a game, and a year's online isn't too bad really.

£250 would be good for me. Would be surprised if it was any lower than £229. Maybe they will go £279 with a game but defiantly won't be cheap as it needs to make money at point of purchase.

It's all about how they market the product and making it desirable. New Tech devices under £300 isn't too much for tech enthusiasts.

Yes they have competition but the right product should sell to the same people who buy the competitors consoles.

Edited by liger05

http://gonintendo.com/stories/268475-rumor-switch-pricing-starts-in-the-uk-at-199-99-249-99-optio

- retailer GAME been informed of Switch’s wholesale price to retailers, is planning on selling their basic SKU of system in stores for £199.99

- not a Nintendo set RRP, as in the UK manufacturers are not allowed to set RRP prices for consoles

- separate SKU with more internal storage and a pack in game is planned for £249.99

- Switch Pro Controllers are expected to sell at launch for £39.99

- Nintendo is planning for the Switch to be close to direct conversion price comparable across regions

- tied into their push for the system to be region free

So I should be able to get everything I need - aside from extra games - for around £300 hopefully, not bad. :)

That would be an amazing price if that's true! I expected much much worse for the UK! ($199.99-229.99 might even be possible if that's the case!) That's a killer starting price for sure!

That being said, I can't help but feel that it's a mistake to start off with two SKUs again... I get that they want to squeeze a higher margin out of the hardware (they're almost certainly making a loss with the cheaper model), but this strategy has not done anything but fall flat on its face every single time anyone has done it at launch.

NOBODY buying this thing at launch wants anything but the higher priced model. Even if it's just cheap, useless tat being included in the higher priced one, nobody wants to feel like they're getting the "crappy" model; as such, the perceived default price is going to be £250 if they do this; the same price as the PS4 Slim...

This strategy has never and will probably continue to never work. It was an absolute disaster when they tried it with the Wii U (to the point where they ended up having to recall the Basic models from retail and repackage them; resulting in a hilarious and incredibly embarrassing "negative shipment" during that quarter), it was a disaster when Sony tried it with the PS3 and it was a disaster when MS tried it with the 360 (the "Core" model, without a HDD).

Just have the one SKU at launch, that's it. Encourage retailers to force their own bundles on consumers if you really need to squeeze a margin out of it, but for Godsake! Don't do the multiple SKU thing again! Don't mess this up and make people think that it's the same price as the PS4 by default, you will lose in this comparison!

Pull a Wii here! Go simple, with one low priced SKU at launch and stay at that point for as long as possible! Don't pull a Wii U and confuse people with multiple SKUs. It Will Not Work!

That would be an amazing price if that's true! I expected much much worse for the UK! ($199.99-229.99 might even be possible if that's the case!) That's a killer starting price for sure!

That being said, I can't help but feel that it's a mistake to start off with two SKUs again... I get that they want to squeeze a higher margin out of the hardware (they're almost certainly making a loss with the cheaper model), but this strategy has not done anything but fall flat on its face every single time anyone has done it at launch.

NOBODY buying this thing at launch wants anything but the higher priced model. Even if it's just cheap, useless tat being included in the higher priced one, nobody wants to feel like they're getting the "crappy" model; as such, the perceived default price is going to be £250 if they do this; the same price as the PS4 Slim...

This strategy has never and will probably continue to never work. It was an absolute disaster when they tried it with the Wii U (to the point where they ended up having to recall the Basic models from retail and repackage them; resulting in a hilarious and incredibly embarrassing "negative shipment" during that quarter), it was a disaster when Sony tried it with the PS3 and it was a disaster when MS tried it with the 360 (the "Core" model, without a HDD).

Just have the one SKU at launch, that's it. Encourage retailers to force their own bundles on consumers if you really need to squeeze a margin out of it, but for Godsake! Don't do the multiple SKU thing again! Don't mess this up and make people think that it's the same price as the PS4 by default, you will lose in this comparison!

Pull a Wii here! Go simple, with one low priced SKU at launch and stay at that point for as long as possible! Don't pull a Wii U and confuse people with multiple SKUs. It Will Not Work!

Totally agree. 2 sku's at launch is a mistake. Early adopters don't want the gimped version.

That would be quite an amazing price point.

Might sway me towards getting one rather sooner than later (i.e. after a year instead of 2-3).

I just realised that this price would mean that buying a Switch and Zelda BOTW would be cheaper than buying a Wii U and that version of BOTW :laughing:

That says it all!

The rumoured price of the Nintendo Switch at GAME is very encouraging :hehe:

Ultimately, if I can get the console with adequate memory, a game and a second controller for less than £300 I'll be pretty satisfied with that :smile:

The presentation in January can't come soon enough!

That would be a fantastic price point and it should fly off the shelves if that's the case. Hopefully she's right or else there'll be a lot of disappointed people on Jan 12th.

My current grumpy pet peeve: the phrase 'price point'. Just say 'price'. The word 'point' is completely superfluous. It rankles every time I hear or read it.

£199.99 gives Nintendo a good chance of success, but I honestly don't think it bodes well for the amount of technology we'll be getting. This thing has a pretty big screen and a docking station, yet it's all coming in for less than the 3DS in 2011. It really does cement the machine as a handheld with TV out, which is not a bad thing, but I don't think it's in any way a home console.

I also think this has implications for Zelda: Breath of the Wild, although this has been the case ever since it was delayed a few years ago.

£199 is a solid price and is about what I was expecting. A lot of people seem to be surprised that it's not closer to £300, but it's fairly obvious that it was never going to be as expensive as the Wii U was. The rumours earlier in the year suggested that Nintendo got a really good deal on the chip, and the lack of hard drive and disk drive will also help push costs down. It's a 720p screen too and those are dirt cheap.

At the end of the day, given that the power of the console is somewhere between the Wii U and XBO, it's fairly reasonable to expect it to be closer to £200 than £300.

£199.99-229.99 is a great price point imo - and if these rumours are accurate then I'm rather excited as it makes me think Nintendo are approaching things with a decent amount of thought for the market too. I do agree with @Grazza that such a price would give me a worry on the level of tech - but hasn't it already been debated to death how good this thing could/would/should be? Like the tech we're expecting sounds like it's decent enough to do a pretty good job and has good levels or interest and potential support so far? Ofc still the pricing makes me wonder, are Nintendo or the system itself taking some sort of hit to allow for it? The system needs to be the best it can be, even if they have to take the hit initially to make back later- tbh given the amount of 1st party content they end up creating/selling, I actually think they'll easily make profit on a system even after taking said initial hit.

For me price really is the big thing to get right off the bat though - this system needs to get sold and into homes/hands to then build upon its success further. It's almost self-fulfilling beyond a point.

This all bodes well, £250 with a pack in game would be excellent. Hopefully the whole second SKU thing is false though and its just a bundle with an SD card created by the retailer. I'm sure they won't be gimping the basic Switch as much as they gimped the basic Wii U, but having two units would complicate things for consumers again. £199 - £250 doesn't seem like enough of a price increase to be that different though when you consider they're packing in a game too.

Although saying that, that was exactly the difference in price between the Basic Wii U and the Premium at launch. Granted the pack in game was Nintendo Land - for £329 (or £349 at Game) you could get the ZombiU edition with the pro controller packed in.

£199.99-229.99 is a great price point

You're on my list.

Under £300 with a game and a pro controller seems like a very good price. Personally I think they should just release the £199 sku as under £200 puts it into the impulse buy bracket and then let the shops make up their own bundles. If it's powered between Wii U and XB1 for a console, I'll take that, for a handheld then WOW!

Apart from some vague statements no publishers are saying anything so the nda's must still be in place until the Jan reveal at least.

£199.99 gives Nintendo a good chance of success, but I honestly don't think it bodes well for the amount of technology we'll be getting. This thing has a pretty big screen and a docking station, yet it's all coming in for less than the 3DS in 2011. It really does cement the machine as a handheld with TV out, which is not a bad thing, but I don't think it's in any way a home console.

I also think this has implications for Zelda: Breath of the Wild, although this has been the case ever since it was delayed a few years ago.

I wouldn't say that... it's around the same price as the Nvidia Shield K1 and that was released around a couple of years ago. The Switch is basically the Shield K2 in terms of internals, with a few things switched (ha!) around, that would've retailed for around the same price. It's actually what I would've expected the price to be around pre-brexit. All it means is that Nintendo is seemingly willing to take an early hit for that all important low price point at the start. The price indicates that it's still using the Shield K2 parts, which rightfully should comfortably outperform the Wii U.

It's still more expensive than the Wii (or any other Nintendo home console at launch not called Wii U), but it's very good news all round! I know it seems cheap, but consoles didn't used to cost £300-500 back in the day... If anything, the price is in-line with what consoles used to sell for (and back to the historic, Nintendo-like range)

Edited by Dcubed

It's still more expensive than the Wii (or any other Nintendo home console at launch not called Wii U), but it's very good news all round! I know it seems cheap, but consoles didn't used to cost £300-500 back in the day... If anything, the price is in-line with what consoles used to sell for (and back to the historic, Nintendo-like range)

Didn't the N64 launch at £349 or something equally crazy? I remember not being allowed one at launch as it was too expensive, but my friend who did get one at launch got a couple of free games off Nintendo when they did end up dropping the price a couple of months later.

Didn't the N64 launch at £349 or something equally crazy? I remember not being allowed one at launch as it was too expensive, but my friend who did get one at launch got a couple of free games off Nintendo when they did end up dropping the price a couple of months later.

It was £249.99 on launch and then the dropped it to £199.99 quickly afterwards (IIRC, it was within the first 4-6 months - it was the 3DS emergency price drop of its day ;) )

It was £249.99 on launch and then the dropped it to £199.99 quickly afterwards (IIRC, it was within the first 4-6 months - it was the 3DS emergency price drop of its day ;) )

Found this on IGN.

Then, to make things worse, Nintendo chose to cut the price of its 64-bit system less than two months after launch by a whopping £100, causing certain members of the IGN team considerable childhood pain. It dropped from $199 to $149 at around the same time.

Ouch, no wonder my mate's mum went crazy over it, she bought it for his birthday which was April 29th (days before the price drop). That price compared with the US and then a "free game" to make up for it is pretty disgusting. Glad I was made to wait :D

If they can get the Switch out for less than £200, I think it will be a pretty irresistible impulse buy, especially at a time where not much else will be happening in the industry. Maybe Nintendo do know what they're doing after all.... ;)