N-Europe

Gamecube Controller Adapter compatible with... Bugger all.

Serebii

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So obviously this means that they have to release new software that uses it now, so that means that we're getting GCN VC games soon right? Right!?

I hope so!

I've got a folder labelled 'GC' to fill, not to mention the ones for N64 and a rather lonely looking Brain Training game inside the DS folder. :heh:

Yup. To be launched alongside the N64 and DS catalogue no less. :indeed:

i-want-to-believe.jpg

£18 for the adapter now looks like an even bigger rip-off. Sure it would be nice to have Gamecube controller support but I'm not paying €25 for that luxury. I've every other control method covered. I think Nintendo should have bundled it in for free or at most €5 extra. They've not marketed it very well. Like what future uses will it have if any? Patched in support for existing games, GC VC support?

Nintendo made an accessory that only works for one game...guys, you really should have learnt by now this is what they do.

To be fair... this actually has never happened. Every single accessory they've ever released HAS been used with multiple games (yes, even the infamous N64 Microphone was actually used with two games - Hey You Pikachu and Densha de Go 64), so I do actually expect it to be utilised by some other software in some other way in the future...

But yeah, don't expect it to be used commonly.

To be fair... this actually has never happened. Every single accessory they've ever released HAS been used with multiple games (yes, even the infamous N64 Microphone was actually used with two games - Hey You Pikachu and Densha de Go 64), so I do actually expect it to be utilised by some other software in some other way in the future...

But yeah, don't expect it to be used commonly.

Yeah, I don't think Ashley meant the one game comment literally. :indeed: Rather that these type of things get released and hardly supported, as seen with various examples from past consoles.

I dunno, I think it's best to go in with low expectations on this sort of thing. It was confirmed to be used in Smash Bros, so everything else/anything else is a bonus.

Plus, do we really need ANOTHER method of control for the WiiU? There's too many as it is. In fact, I don't even think that they should have gone back to the GameCube controller at all...isn't that more or less admitting that they had things right generations ago?

The GC pad is their most current wired controller, The Wii used it (afaik the wii didn't support any other official wired controller did it?) so now the Wii U may benefit from using one it is gaining functionality to use it.

two points.

1) does this open up the possibility of using GC controllers on PC's using this adapter in conjunction with appropriate drivers?

2) I use the 2 usb ports at the back for my HDD. If I get this, I need to use the two at the front. If I play online I'm recommended to use the LAN adapter... which I can plug where exactly? 3NewE Wii U with 8 USB ports, slick light weight gamepad with 80 hour battery life, enhanced RAM/CPU to enable Wii Chat in game and dual gamepad support to be announced at E3 2015 :D

The GC pad is their most current wired controller, The Wii used it (afaik the wii didn't support any other official wired controller did it?) so now the Wii U may benefit from using one it is gaining functionality to use it.

two points.

1) does this open up the possibility of using GC controllers on PC's using this adapter in conjunction with appropriate drivers?

I bet that someone will cook up some homebrew drivers in a matter of days, if not hours...

2) I use the 2 usb ports at the back for my HDD. If I get this, I need to use the two at the front. If I play online I'm recommended to use the LAN adapter... which I can plug where exactly? 3NewE Wii U with 8 USB ports, slick light weight gamepad with 80 hour battery life, enhanced RAM/CPU to enable Wii Chat in game and dual gamepad support to be announced at E3 2015 :D

The Wii U does support USB hubs, so you can actually use one of those if you need more ports.

I might actually look into using one of those myself as I'm currently using the back two ports and I don't really want ugly wires sticking out from the front of my console :heh:

The Wii U does support USB hubs, so you can actually use one of those if you need more ports.

I might actually look into using one of those myself as I'm currently using the back two ports and I don't really want ugly wires sticking out from the front of my console :heh:

I should probably know this, but wouldn't using a hub affect data flow in a negative way?

I dunno, I think it's best to go in with low expectations on this sort of thing. It was confirmed to be used in Smash Bros, so everything else/anything else is a bonus.

Plus, do we really need ANOTHER method of control for the WiiU? There's too many as it is. In fact, I don't even think that they should have gone back to the GameCube controller at all...isn't that more or less admitting that they had things right generations ago?

I dunno about the latter - I think it's neccessary in some ways for Smash because it's been such a thing for it. People have been smashing with the Cube pad since 2001/2002, keeping it for this version(especially given the state of the WiiU) will be quite valuble to increasing its sales amongst those who want it.

Ofc, one could argue that if they made pad choices like Sony/PS has, it might not be quite such an issue ;)(before anyone tries, there's no need to trump this point, as I'm referring to previous sentiments expressed)

It's possible that some fool at The Hut Group wrote it before getting the official description (between when they removed it and added the apology they had the same description as elsewhere).

Only just seen this, good thinking. Totes forgot they were handling bits for Ninty.

I dunno about the latter - I think it's neccessary in some ways for Smash because it's been such a thing for it. People have been smashing with the Cube pad since 2001/2002, keeping it for this version(especially given the state of the WiiU) will be quite valuble to increasing its sales amongst those who want it.

Ofc, one could argue that if they made pad choices like Sony/PS has, it might not be quite such an issue ;)(before anyone tries, there's no need to trump this point, as I'm referring to previous sentiments expressed)

Only just seen this, good thinking. Totes forgot they were handling bits for Ninty.

True, it's good that they've allowed GC support for the legacy side of it. But, where's the evolution? Surely you'd think that the Pro Controller would be the natural step up for many gamers who used the GC controller in the past. To me, it almost sends out the wrong message because they're (in a way) saying that they have made the Wiimote, nunchuk, classic controller, classic controller pro, pro controller, GamePad, balance board and yet...they kinda had it right all those years ago with the GC controller.

Just seems a bit strange to me to go backwards and use a controller from two generations ago when there is already a decent controller there with the Pro Controller. But yeah, I can also see why many who had Melee would want to use the GC controller...especially after some probably skipped the Wiimote and Nunchuk combo on Brawl. I have to admit, I found that game pretty cumbersome to enjoy using that set up.

another missed opportunity by nintendo....

whats the running total now?

the worlds best controller never gets any love

To be honest, I find the GC controller too small nowadays. If that controller whould've had bigger versions of the N64 grips, THEN it would've been the all time best.

It's quite understandable that the controller doesen't work with older games. But I still think that developers are allowed to make use of it in future releases. As is now, this will be the only means of playing a game with analogue triggers on the Wii U. So, hopefully Project CARS will support it.

Because that is the only racing game coming to the Wii U, isn't it?

Err... well, Velocity Stream is as well.

Nintendo made an accessory that only works for one game...guys, you really should have learnt by now this is what they do.

I don't understand this.

Let's actually look at what has happened:

Nintendo make a game that people like playing with the GC pad. People who play the game competitively use the GC pad as a preferred option. Nintendo then offer people the OPTION of buying an adaptor to allow player to use the GC pad if they wish to.

Now, this is NOT an accessory that is needed to play the game. There are several other control methods - the Wii U Gamepad, the classic controller, the classic controller pro and the Wii remote and nunchuk. The GC pad adaptor is an optional extra for those who want it.

To me, Nintendo have done a good thing. They have offered professional and competitive players who wanted to keep using their GC pads the option to do so with a hand adaptor.

For those who just want to play the game with one of the other control methods, they are not forced to buy the adaptor. It is not a 'gun to the head' situation where you have to buy something.

Now let's look at the reaction:

Arrrrrggghhhh Nintendo are releasing an adaptor, they are forcing me to buy a peropheral, it only currently works with one game!!!

How people are reacting doesn't match the situation. If you want to play Smash Bros. on the Wii U you can do with no extra peripherals. You can buy the game and enjoy it as much as anyone with the disk only version. However, if you are really into Smash Bros. and want to play it with an older controller - you can do that as well for a little extra investment.

I think it's more if you want to play the game with zero lag give us £20 to allow you to play with a 12 year old controller because God knows what we've done to make a better controller in the mean time.. But you're right, nobody's forcing us to buy it and I'm not. The end.

I think it's more if you want to play the game with zero lag give us £20 to allow you to play with a 12 year old controller because God knows what we've done to make a better controller in the mean time.. But you're right, nobody's forcing us to buy it and I'm not. The end.

The "lag" will affect approximately 0.001% of players.

The "lag" will affect approximately 0.001% of players.

I know and I don't care. The lag I'm more concerned about is online. You know what else has disappeared off the radar? Voice chat. Have people just accepted that Nintendo won't do it right?

I don't understand this.

Let's actually look at what has happened:

Nintendo make a game that people like playing with the GC pad. People who play the game competitively use the GC pad as a preferred option. Nintendo then offer people the OPTION of buying an adaptor to allow player to use the GC pad if they wish to.

Now, this is NOT an accessory that is needed to play the game. There are several other control methods - the Wii U Gamepad, the classic controller, the classic controller pro and the Wii remote and nunchuk. The GC pad adaptor is an optional extra for those who want it.

To me, Nintendo have done a good thing. They have offered professional and competitive players who wanted to keep using their GC pads the option to do so with a hand adaptor.

For those who just want to play the game with one of the other control methods, they are not forced to buy the adaptor. It is not a 'gun to the head' situation where you have to buy something.

For me, the problem lies with how long they took to admit that it's only for this game. When the adaptor was revealed, I was more excited about the fact I could use it with my existing GC controllers for games like Mario Kart. It seemed like an easy/cheap option to get 4 people playing existing games, using controllers I already owned rather than buying several more, or leaving some users unhappy with Wii remote controls etc..

If they had announced from the start what it was going to do, nobody would mind, instead they left us in the dark, knowing we would assume that this would basically emulate a pro controller where desired.

When the adaptor was revealed, I was more excited about the fact I could use it with my existing GC controllers for games like Mario Kart.

It also seems strange that they couldn't get the Wii Mode to detect it as a GameCube controller, considering the OS has native support for the controller.