NEurope
Retro_Link

Splatoon

So this game does look good, but it needs so many more modes, unless it's a free to play game, or part of another collection.... It also needs voice chat, and this i something I never clamour for, but you need to talk to each other. What's TERRIFYING is that you can see the dpad has basic instructions like in Luigis Mansion, HELP, or come here or whatever... It isn't going to have it...

What I want to know, why do game sites and mags never question them? Why does someone not ask, why are you so scared of voice chat?! Games have it, it's not a problem, you can have options to turn it off... What are they so scared of?! They had friend codes for unbelievably stupid reasons that never EVER made sense, no one really quizzed them on it, now they don't have friend code and oh look, nothing's different...

This game looks amazing. I want its potential to be fulfilled!!

This has annoyed me for years. These people get paid to find these kind of things out and let readers know but they never ask them anything relevant. What's even worse you can't contact a Nintendo rep ( Microsofts Phil Spencer answers fans tweets as does Yoshida for Sony ) and ask these questions.

Preset dpad messages, no voice chat.... what the hell?!

Looks like a great team based game but without voice chat, as Zechs likes to say, we'll all be running round like headless chickens.

Preset dpad messages, no voice chat.... what the hell?!

Looks like a great team based game but without voice chat, as Zechs likes to say, we'll all be running round like headless chickens.

Has it been confirmed then? Oh, Nintendo.....:shakehead

Seriously, what is their beef with people, even friends, talking to each other?

This has annoyed me for years. These people get paid to find these kind of things out and let readers know but they never ask them anything relevant. What's even worse you can't contact a Nintendo rep ( Microsofts Phil Spencer answers fans tweets as does Yoshida for Sony ) and ask these questions.

One strange thing I'm starting to notice is that journalists do seem keen to find these things out, like Kotaku did regarding the Mother joke Nintendo made (in conjunction with the "No mario" joke and the follow up with Mario Maker) and Reggie just goes "Don't go there".

Yet in the actual scheduled interviews, they don't go for it. Maybe this is something Nintendo sneakily has sneaked into the terms of agreement for the interviews, not to ask "Why isn't there this or that".

One strange thing I'm starting to notice is that journalists do seem keen to find these things out, like Kotaku did regarding the Mother joke Nintendo made (in conjunction with the "No mario" joke and the follow up with Mario Maker) and Reggie just goes "Don't go there".

Yet in the actual scheduled interviews, they don't go for it. Maybe this is something Nintendo sneakily has sneaked into the terms of agreement for the interviews, not to ask "Why isn't there this or that".

It wouldn't surprise me to be honest. It keeps a level of control on their side of things.

It wouldn't surprise me to be honest. It keeps a level of control on their side of things.

It sounds about right to me and completely understandable in some respects and the only reason I can think of about why journalists come out of Nintendo interviews looking completely incompetent sometimes.

Has it been confirmed then? Oh, Nintendo.....:shakehead

Seriously, what is their beef with people, even friends, talking to each other?

No but from what Retro and dazzybee have said, its not looking very likely.

No but from what Retro and dazzybee have said, its not looking very likely.

Ah, I thought it had been confirmed. Hope lives on....

To be honest that video they make it pretty obvious there isn't voice chat, he asks will there be voice chat and he said the map is readily available so you can see what to do and there'll be some communication... it's so fucking tragic, you can't create proper strategy, you can't assign roles for each other or change them mid game... it s fucking bollocks. I really wish journalists would rally, this game will be destroyed without it; even the gloating aspect would be gone... It's so fucking anger inducing!!!

To be honest that video they make it pretty obvious there isn't voice chat, he asks will there be voice chat and he said the map is readily available so you can see what to do and there'll be some communication... it's so fucking tragic, you can't create proper strategy, you can't assign roles for each other or change them mid game... it s fucking bollocks. I really wish journalists would rally, this game will be destroyed without it; even the gloating aspect would be gone... It's so fucking anger inducing!!!

I'm going to spam Miiverse completely in hope it gets put in. Everyone needs to voice their opinion, if Nintendo do listen (as Serebii says they do) then surely they'll take heed?

Let's get spamming Miiverse asking for full voice-chat!!!

I'm going to spam Miiverse completely in hope it gets put in. Everyone needs to voice their opinion, if Nintendo do listen (as Serebii says they do) then surely they'll take heed?

Let's get spamming Miiverse asking for full voice-chat!!!

Which board on Miiverse do we spam though? The E3 one will probably be gone next week.

And twitter. I'll get an article up on Nintendo Review too. I don't want this game ruined by their utter ineptitude!

Nintendo exert such unnecessarily high control over everything, mostly from Japan. It's one of the ways they are fundamentally at odds with modern gaming. They are stuck in the 90s when it comes to communication and seem to be so afraid of making any kind of misstep that everything becomes sanitised and the company themselves are unattainable.

A prime example... http://n-europe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54541

Nintendo will include voice chat in this game and then the fans will proclaim that "Nintendo really do listen to us!" Quickly forgetting that the feature should have been included in the first place anyway. :p

It's pretty obvious that this game needs voice-chat. I reckon it'll be there. If anything, for Nintendo to "prove a point". Would be surprised if it's not there after all the fiasco surrounding Mario Kart.

Which board on Miiverse do we spam though? The E3 one will probably be gone next week.

The E3 one for now and then also the general activity feed and then we should start invading other online game boards... spam the hell out of them!

Maybe you should hire paintball guns and write it on the side of their building.

Doesn't seem to work like that with Mario Kart. You put your headset in and you get the audio through it but it doesn't use the mic. It still uses the mic on the GamePad so you pick everything up and everyone sounds like are using Wii Speak again.

What‽

I assumed nobody heard me last night because I had my headset mic off, but from the sounds of that nobody heard me because I was talking into my headset and had the Nintendo Treehouse thing on in the background loud enough to hear over my headphones.

I did hear someone mention hearing the Treehouse over voice chat, so I presume that was me.

Well, that's me never turning voice chat on again in Mario Kart. I've always used voice chat where I turn my mic on when I want to talk then turn it off again. Not being able to do that without turning voice chat off completely AND it being able to hear other stuff. That's just insane.

What‽

I assumed nobody heard me last night because I had my headset mic off, but from the sounds of that nobody heard me because I was talking into my headset and had the Nintendo Treehouse thing on in the background loud enough to hear over my headphones.

I did hear someone mention hearing the Treehouse over voice chat, so I presume that was me.

Well, that's me never turning voice chat on again in Mario Kart. I've always used voice chat where I turn my mic on when I want to talk then turn it off again. Not being able to do that without turning voice chat off completely AND it being able to hear other stuff. That's just insane.

I could be wrong but that was what it seemed like during my experience with it. Lostmario had his headset on yet it was all muffled and I was picking up everything that was going on in the background, just like when Wii Speak is being used. When we used the headsets in CoD or MH there was zero background noise coming through.

You guys should test it out again next time you're on. Just cover you're mic and speak and see if they can still hear you. If they can then its definetly just using the GamePad.

Having just looked at the back of the box of Mario Kart there is no headset support sign, yet on COD there is. Strangely MH supports it but doesn't have it on the box either, so I guess you can't depend on that.

At least we know local multiplayer is nailed!

We don't even know if it has local multiplayer.

If they do end up putting voice chat in this it will quickly become my most hyped game! I think the premise of it is absolutely fantastic... a brilliant, strategic, clever shooter! It soooo needs voice chat!

We don't even know if it has local multiplayer.
Oh ok then, playing with four people on 4 TV's in the same room ;)

I hear the music from Splatoon continuously now, even in my sleep! :laughing:

Just can't get it out of my head.

So damn catchy. :bouncy::yay:

I can understand Nintendo's stance, to a limited extent, but rather than saying "this is a problem with voice chat, let's not include it" they need to look for a way of solving the problem.

I'm not really so fussed on voice chat, but as has already been said, it is clearly needed.

Having recorded phrases accessible at the touch of the d-pad could be useful, but more to augment voice chat rather than to replace it.