Play Nintendo - Announcing Nintendo @ E3 2014

Serebii

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's me following our agreement to not to derail threads with arguments :p

As and when it suits.

Anyway, I understand them not covering the qol stuff during the main show, but hopefully journalists can tease out some information during E3, even if it's an indication of when to expect more information.

Great video. The human touch using 21st century tools to create a buzz. Nintendo's social media output has been a breath of fresh air compared to most huge companies that remain extremely corporate in nature.

The iron curtain remains in Japan but seeing the curtain lifted at NOA is a nice nod for the fans too. I had no idea what this was but when I realised it was actually Nintendo-made I was surprised. Great fun.

Also: hyped for QoL stuff. Fascinates me due to our ageing population and the possibilities for the wider application that 'play' can have.

Great video. The human touch using 21st century tools to create a buzz. Nintendo's social media output has been a breath of fresh air compared to most huge companies that remain extremely corporate in nature.

The iron curtain remains in Japan but seeing the curtain lifted at NOA is a nice nod for the fans too. I had no idea what this was but when I realised it was actually Nintendo-made I was surprised. Great fun.

Also: hyped for QoL stuff. Fascinates me due to our ageing population and the possibilities for the wider application that 'play' can have.

Having seen inside the EU offices, I suspect that was hired space (and I'd understand the reasons why if so). It's just too radically different, and Papa Japan rules all after all, but I could be wrong. Would be weird though, but stranger things have happened.

And let's not forget the word "social" is an important part of social media. Do Nintendo ever respond to tweets/facebook posts? Not all of them, obviously, but I can't recall seeing any. But again, this is probably because Papa Japan rules all.

Papa Japan seems to be my new term for Nintendo of Japan...

Having seen inside the EU offices, I suspect that was hired space (and I'd understand the reasons why if so). It's just too radically different, and Papa Japan rules all after all, but I could be wrong. Would be weird though, but stranger things have happened.

And let's not forget the word "social" is an important part of social media. Do Nintendo ever respond to tweets/facebook posts? Not all of them, obviously, but I can't recall seeing any. But again, this is probably because Papa Japan rules all.

Papa Japan seems to be my new term for Nintendo of Japan...

If you're wondering whether or not that the setting in the video was actually the real NOA HQ... it is the real one (we've seen a lot of those areas shown in the video before, in past US versions of Nintendo Direct - unfortunately I can't seem to remember which ones and buggered if I'm gonna shift through them to find out which ones - but they've generally been keen to show off the US HQ ever since it got revamped)

Edited by Dcubed

A Wii U slim would be good.

And a name change.

Do you not think a name change would make the whole thing even more confusing? I agree the name is clearly terrible for the market, but changing now could be even more confusing. Would you think Wii 2 would be better, or something completely different?

Do you not think a name change would make the whole thing even more confusing? I agree the name is clearly terrible for the market, but changing now could be even more confusing. Would you think Wii 2 would be better, or something completely different?

I don't think the Wii U really has enough market penetration to be confusing to the existing knowledge base; likewise, 'what a Wii U is' isn't clearly enough differentiated from the Wii to a lot of people, so it's causing confusion already.

Depends how they handled it. I think the Wii 2 is the perfect answer, and there's nothing wrong with that name. Generally I don't think the Wii brand is that bad, the problem is the Wii U never really come into its own brand.

I don't think the Wii U really has enough market penetration to be confusing to the existing knowledge base; likewise, 'what a Wii U is' isn't clearly enough differentiated from the Wii to a lot of people, so it's causing confusion already.

Depends how they handled it. I think the Wii 2 is the perfect answer, and there's nothing wrong with that name. Generally I don't think the Wii brand is that bad, the problem is the Wii U never really come into its own brand.

I agree

Having a number after the name never did the Playstation brand any harm.

I agree

Having a number after the name never did the Playstation brand any harm.

Actually, I would have prefered U (Ultra Nintendo Entertainment System?) to have its own name brand - Its different from the Wii after all.

Can someone remind me why the 'U' was included anyway? ...:blank:

A Wii U slim would be good.

And a name change.

I like that - kind of like the Wii Mini - they could slip in a redefining name, mass market and go! Just like they have shown to be able to do with the 2DS.

A name change at this point would be pointless. I doubt even calling it Wii 2 from the very beginning would have impacted sales much if at all.

Also I like being able to add U to the end of games when discussing them. Pilotwings U, Metroid U, Zelda U

• 2 weeks later...