Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Wii U General Discussion

Hero-of-Time

Who decides what's needed? I was amused, that's all. It really wasn't worth all the uproar.

Just imagine how many more millions Splatoon would have sold if it had voice chat!

Don't worry, I found it amusing that Splatoon outsold Bloodborne.

What I found more amusing is that people are upset about you being amused. Anyone who finds it upsetting is a manchild. To call your behaviour provocative is even more amusing and shows how certain people literally can't deal with anything.

The fact is, you found certain sales figure comparisons 'amusing'.

Funny, because when something on the PS4 drastically outsells something on the Wii U it's always hilarious and definitive proof that Nintendo does nothing right.

I genuinely can't think of any instance on this board when someone had laughed at the sales of a PS4 game over a Wii U game, but anyway.

Clearly any reaction towards Ronnie's post here is based on the argumentative history of the forum, which made the post appear antagonistic. Trying to take a moral high with such a post is equally laughable Zechs.

Splatoon's sales figures are awesome!

Can't wait to see what they do with the sequel and hopefully the single player gets expanded upon. Some sort of squad based 4 player co-op campaign would be incredible.

Bloodborne's sales are equally fantastic for a game in such a niche market. Such games appear to get so much press and attention to us because gaming is our interest and hobby. An M rated, cruelly difficult game, in a gothic Victorian setting isn't an easy sell to the casual gamer.

Edited by Retro_Link

From the investor Q&A

Nintendo want to put out titles for Wii U in 2016 that had the same favourable effect that Splatoon and Super Mario Maker had.

So what is that then? Hopefully an unannounced game. Of the currently known games, only Zelda could even dream of having that effect surely?

Edit:

Can't wait to see what they do with the sequel and hopefully the single player gets expanded upon. Some sort of squad based 4 player co-op campaign would be incredible.

Love that idea! Would buy in a second.

So what is that then? Hopefully an unannounced game. Of the currently known games, only Zelda could even dream of having that effect surely?

Edit:

Love that idea! Would buy in a second.

If Nintendo wants another Splatoon on its hands, it needs to look at what made it such a success. An exciting new IP that didn't just involve putting Mario into a new scenario. I think it also broke new ground - both for Nintendo and for the genre.

It would be a tough call to replicate that success, but if Nintendo are going to look to replicate it, they need to get people involved in the planning stages that aren't typical Nintendo thinkers.

Remember, Miyamoto and several others at Nintendo couldn't see the appeal of Splatoon, and after less than a year on the shelves it is already outselling many traditional franchises.

I would say Nintendo need to start giving a little more room to internal voices that are calling for new and exciting developments that stray away from the normal safe bets that Nintendo keep doubling down on.

And this is no way means I think Nintendo should stop making Mario, Zelda or Pikmin, but they should continue adding to their portfolio of top class IPs. I would say that after less than a year, Splatoon is already a top class IP and has shown just how fresh ideas can bring in big money and get the whole industry's attention.

It happened (to a lesser extent) with Mario Maker this year as well. Both of these games we knew about this time last year. To me it just sounds like a wish in the investors report rather than something they could actually hope to achieve. If they needed that success they should have been working on the game it was going to be by at least 12 months.

I genuinely can't think of any instance on this board when someone had laughed at the sales of a PS4 game over a Wii U game, but anyway.

Maybe not that specifically, but the sales thread very often has things people find amusing, sheikhah thought it was funny that the ps4 sold insane amounts, also funny that Fifa from 2o12 is in the top Wii u threads. No one cared. What's wrong with it all being slightly amusing? Why is this place filled with people so highly strung? I'm sure it's getting worse and worse... I don't understand it.

Maybe not that specifically, but the sales thread very often has things people find amusing, sheikhah thought it was funny that the ps4 sold insane amounts, also funny that Fifa from 2o12 is in the top Wii u threads. No one cared. What's wrong with it all being slightly amusing? Why is this place filled with people so highly strung? I'm sure it's getting worse and worse... I don't understand it.
Fair enough, I don't tend to go in the sales thread. I don't think it's getting worse, I've stopped caring and reading it :p

This is exactly why back when I was a mod we stopped the sales talk from happening in specific threads and kept the chatter on neutral ground in the Sales Thread. For whatever reason, things remain less hostile in that thread.

In regards to @Zechs Merquise post, in the recent investors meeting it looks like Kimishima address that they are letting more younger developers take a shot at making something. At least that's what it sounds like from the rough translations.

Splatoon is a fine example of what a fresh and younger perspective can add to the company. It's given them a very successful new IP that they can build upon. If they can keep on doing stuff like this, then it will add for a lot more variety to their lineup, as well as introduce new characters for younger generation of gamers.

I don't mind anyone expressing an opinion but his comparison was just a poor one. Like I said, Bloodborne and Bayonetta 2 would be an actually fair comparison in terms of audience/gameplay as Bloodborne is just a very niche game whereas Splatoon isn't.

I don't get this 'Bloodborne is a niche' game nonsense. Its clearly a triple A game with a gritty horror aesthetic. What's more, the argument it is 'mature' doesn't wash with me either, COD and Battlefield carry the same rating as Bloodborne. It really looks like it was aimed at the mainstream and marketed as such - something comparable to Resident Evil and Dark Souls. What's more it's on a console with a much bigger user base.

Splatoon is a game about squids shooting paint at each other. I remember people deriding the marketing for the game when it came out and claiming it didn't have the mass market it appeal.

Now Splatoon is selling well and Bloodborne hasn't performed as well, it's like we're living in opposite world and Bloodborne is a mature title (because they have problems selling) destined for a niche market and Splatoon is something made to appeal to all!

I missed the original announcement of this, apparently the Google street view app is being taken down in a couple of days. The app itself will be discontinued on the 31st of March which means it will no longer work.

[tweet]693078770073354241[/tweet]

I know the app was originally free as my sister has it on her Wii U which she had since launch, but they've been charging money for it since the end of 2014, so I have to wonder if people that paid for it will get a refund.

Yeah I can't imagine many people spent the £4.49 on it once they added a price tag. All the same, it doesn't seem very good that it was purchasable and within a couple of years of its release its taken away like that.

It does seem odd that its being removed so quickly though. Nintendo seemed quite proud to have the app on Wii U at the time. There was even an Iwata's asks with the dev team, that of course gave us this fantastic picture:

slide002.jpg

Whilst Nintendo make a great effort on their backwards compatibility front (which can be argued to be to of benefit or detriment depending who you ask and how they go forward) there does certainly seem to be noted occasions of them suffering with legacy features. I don't believe they plan or think short-term, but when you hear about services and apps being discontinued it doesn't look great to me. I can't think of much that can be considered similarly from competitors, however.

My wife is exercising so I wanted the meter just as a bonus to give the little extra (like make yourself to do the extra 500 steps to be on 5-10k and burn the extra calories during that).

The game would be just for fun.

I have Wii Fit, but we are not really using it (forgot I could use it in the Wii U :D).

But that's why I need the Wii U Fit meter to be "cheap" as it mostly will be used as a pedometer.

If I have understood you correctly, the meter works fine? That's the most important thing for me, so I maybe just get it without the game.

Btw. I can't access the forum via web browser.

Just give her your 3DS to go out with and she can maybe net you some free streetpasses in the process too :p?

To be honest, Splatoon is just as "AAA" (whatever that actually means) as Bloodborne. It's a high profile 1st party Nintendo game that was advertised a lot and pushed to sell consoles. Sure, it's great to see it do well, but the comparison is a bit pointless.

Sales and amusement aspect aside - I'm with Flink in that I honestly couldn't think of two more different games. Admittedly I've not even touched or know much about Bloodborne, but I have very little interest in what is apparently a rather bastard hard masochistic game with huge difficulty spikes - but I find it quite amusing myself seeing it for some bizarre reason being compared to something as light-hearted, open, and accessible as Splatoon! The latter of which definitely deserves its numbers btw, I just hope Nintendo find a way to capitalise further on its success going forwards in a positive way.

In Retro's defense, I think his point was more about time and place, and the loaded history associated with different parts of the boards. I won't re-tread old ground with it, but I can see where he's coming from. Personally, I think the takeaway point from it is that Splatoon has done fantastically for a new IP, and I think it's really well deserved - just hope they manage to find a way to capitalise on it well. I think it was HoT who suggested in the Sales thread maybe attempting something like a tie-in anime(if it could work) which I think is a great idea - my friend in Japan was recently telling me how huge it is over there, and if they could somehow try and spill over and extend that hype further in the West then I'd personally think it excellent!

Edited by Rummy

I don't get this 'Bloodborne is a niche' game nonsense. Its clearly a triple A game with a gritty horror aesthetic. What's more, the argument it is 'mature' doesn't wash with me either, COD and Battlefield carry the same rating as Bloodborne. It really looks like it was aimed at the mainstream and marketed as such - something comparable to Resident Evil and Dark Souls. What's more it's on a console with a much bigger user base.

Splatoon is a game about squids shooting paint at each other. I remember people deriding the marketing for the game when it came out and claiming it didn't have the mass market it appeal.

Now Splatoon is selling well and Bloodborne hasn't performed as well, it's like we're living in opposite world and Bloodborne is a mature title (because they have problems selling) destined for a niche market and Splatoon is something made to appeal to all!

Allow someone who has both played the game and rinsed it of all its content to tell you what it is like, rather than just guessing.

It's niche.

Bloodborne is niche for 2 main reasons:

- It is very difficult compared to most games. A lot of people won't try it for that reason alone.

- It is obscure - communities assemble on message boards to figure out what the hell is going on.

Just because it looks good, it doesn't mean it isn't a niche game. They can afford to spend a lot on it because even though it's niche, it will still sell a lot and draw in customers to the console. It just won't sell anywhere near like what another big game made by a big developer will have the opportunity to sell.

Zech's... Because it's a long, bollock frustrating game with RPG elements that quite frankly people are either put off by or don't have the time for... It's also an aesthetic that doesn't necessarily appeal to a lot of people. Some of these reasons are why I myself haven't bought it.

Splatoon can be played by literally anyone, and is one of very few competitive online multiplayer games on the entirety of the Wii U's software line-up, with an active community and post launch support. These games are incredibly few and far between from Nintendo. Mario Kart, Smash, Splatoon. Of course it's going to sell. Plus the wait for games on Wii U is vast. The fact it's sold this well is great!

This is the most bizarre post I've ever read. Bloodborne couldn't be more unappealing to the masses - it's a slow, difficult game and pretty much sits in a genre of itself.

Out of interest, do you consider Metroid Prime mainstream because it's a first person game? What about Bayonetta? It seems to me that you read stupid comments about Splatoon not being appealing and took it to be some kind of industry wide criticism?

I agree that Bloodborne is actually niche, but also agree with @Zechs Merquise in that the TV advertising certainly put across as though it would appeal to the masses, whereas Splatoon's certainly didn't!

...but I do think the lack of software and quantity of software within a (lack of) diversity of genres on the WiiU helped Splatoon out big-time!

Edited by Kav

I think the part in bold is perfect. You don't understand it. Ronnie doesn't understand it and there are some in this thread who still don't understand that it's such a poor, poor comparison.

Bloodborne is NOT a mainstream game. It does NOT appeal to the masses and to say it does so is wrong. I would call myself a "typical" gamer. I grew up with Nintendo and SEGA, I own a Commodore64 (somewhere still in Wales) and I play a mixture of stuff, from FIFA to Zelda to Uncharted to Cities Skylines.

I've only ever traded in one game in my lifetime: Pokemon Red, because I wanted Twisted Edge Snowboarding. I massively regretted my choice and vowed to never ever trade in another game again. I still live by that.

HOWEVER, I came reeeeeeally fucking close to doing that with Bloodborne. I never, ever post on Facebook about games pissing me off, but I did with Bloodborne. I never tend to post negative thoughts so early on in a game, but I did with Bloodborne. I got extremely angry at the game. I hated everything about it. I hated the clunky combat. I hated the lack of a map. I hated that I didn't know what the fuck I was doing. I hated that there was no tutorial, or even an introduction to explain where I was, or what the objective of the game was. I hated that there were no objectives! (all of the things which make games accessible to the masses...Bloodborne has NONE of these!)

I played the game for about two hours straight (maybe more) and didn't make it past the now infamous "street with 50 dudes" as it's known by many. I would run, hit a few enemies, get killed and go back to a loading screen. Oh yeah, the save system! Fuck me.

This game is ANYTHING but mainstream. It is not a mainstream game. The vast majority of people would play this game, have no fucking clue what they were doing and turn it off immediately. I turned it off and had the intention of returning this to the store. For me to want to do that tells you how much I hated this game.

However, I stuck with it (persuaded by many on here) and I ended up finishing it...and it's now in my top ten of all-time games. Fucking incredible, incredible game. It's also made me appreciate and look at the Machina album by the Smashing Pumpkins in a whole new light, with it now becoming my new favourite album by them (due to listening to them on Spotify whilst playing this game).

To compare this to Splatoon is laughable. They are nothing alike. It's a ridiculous comparison to make and anybody who has played Bloodborne would know that instantly. They're aimed at completely different markets, have different gameplay mechanics, are of completely different genres and styles and are just not comparable. You can't say "this is a first party game, that's an exclusive, let's compare" because that's just such a basic thing to do. It's that sort of stuff which causes arguments; ill-informed comments and comparisons which are just made to stir up trouble rather than actually having an intelligent debate. Instantly, it ruins the credibility of the poster because...it's just such a bad comparison. Sorry to criticise you and Ronnie on this, but you are both very, very wrong. Play the game and see for yourselves.

...but I do think the lack of software and quantity of software within a (lack of) diversity of genres on the WiiU helped Splatoon out big-time!

Lack of diversity of genres? The Wii U has the 3D platformer, 2D platformer, survival horror, racing, action, adventure, strategy, RPG, brawler, hack and slash, puzzler, level creator, space shooter, multiplayer shooter genres all ticked. What other genres do you think are missing? The volume of titles is certainly poor (though not in terms of first party releases), but in terms of the breadth of content, there's certainly something for everyone.

And put it another way, the PS4's 3x install base would have helped Splatoon a hell of a lot more, would we have seen 12 million sales?

Ok let's move on, Splatoon selling 4+ million units is pretty amazing. Well done Nintendo. A fantastic game selling fantastically well.

Yeah, I can't wait to chat to people about it while we all play Splatoon online!

...too soon?

Lack of diversity of genres? The Wii U has the 3D platformer, 2D platformer, survival horror, racing, action, adventure, strategy, RPG, brawler, hack and slash, puzzler, level creator, space shooter, multiplayer shooter genres all ticked. What other genres do you think are missing? The volume of titles is certainly poor (though not in terms of first party releases), but in terms of the breadth of content, there's certainly something for everyone.

And put it another way, the PS4's 3x install base would have helped Splatoon a hell of a lot more, would we have seen 12 million sales?

The Wii U missed out on virtually every survival horror, sports, adventure, racing and FPS title. In each of those genres it got maybe 15% of the available titles or so. That is the reason why it's struggling in the West and have done since Gamecube - they simply can't compete there.

The only genre Nintendo dominate is 2D platformers. DK, Mario, Yoshi..if someone enjoyed platform games you would direct them to the Wii U but for genres that are big in the West the Wii U is just way too lacking.

Edited by Goron_3

The Wii U missed out on virtually every survival horror, sports, adventure, racing and FPS title. In each of those genres it got maybe 15% of the available titles or so. That is the reason why it's struggling in the West and have done since Gamecube - they simply can't compete there.

The only genre Nintendo dominate is 2D platformers. DK, Mario, Yoshi..if someone enjoyed platform games you would direct them to the Wii U but for genres that are big in the West the Wii U is just way too lacking.

All I was saying was that the Wii U does not lack "a diversity in genres" which @kav82 was suggesting. Yes it lacks in terms of volume, but of all the major Wii U games there's something for everyone there.

So why do not all games sell millions and millions? Also when the Wii was crazy popular, people dismissed sales of Wii fit, Wii play, nsmb etc for selling insane amounts because the user base was so big it was bound too. They can't win!

I just think Nintendo make amazing games and sell a shit tonne of software. Whether that's from a pool of 10m people or 100m.

All I was saying was that the Wii U does not lack "a diversity in genres" which @kav82 was suggesting. Yes it lacks in terms of volume, but of all the major Wii U games there's something for everyone there.

That's really what I was getting at. Having 1 or maybe 2 games of one genre isn't really "covering the genre", as there are many subtleties that distinguish games from one another within each genre. The WiiU isn't covering many genres at all simply through the lack of content within each genre.

@dazzybee, not all games sell millions because some are niche, some aren't even advertised and some are basically shit!

Edited by Kav