NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Wii U General Discussion

Got a bit of a gaming itch... I've given it a bit of thought, and realised I want a game that I could explore, a 3-d world, preferably open world.. leaving it basic because I was wondering what games people could recommend to me?

An open world on the Wii U? Lego City Undercover is a solid choice.

An open world on the Wii U? Lego City Undercover is a solid choice.

Yeah I love that game, but I struggle to play single player games once I've completed them! I know there are a few missions I could finish off to get 100%... I think really I was wanting an experience a little outside of my existing game library!

I may just try firing up my gamecube and see if there are any games there that do the job!

Yeah I love that game, but I struggle to play single player games once I've completed them! I know there are a few missions I could finish off to get 100%... I think really I was wanting an experience a little outside of my existing game library!

I may just try firing up my gamecube and see if there are any games there that do the job!

I hadn't realised that you had played it.

It's very slim pickings on the Wii U for that genre. You could try Watch Dogs or Assassins Creed: Black Flag.

I was actually thinking BoTW could have been just the thing... Assassins Creed sounds the most likely.. I know that the Wii U version is the weakest one, but without comparisons to other platforms, Black flag fares well as a game, right? Watchdogs I'm not as sure on, the game has had people calling it awesome and trash... and I understand an active online userbase is necessary to get the most from it? Considering even Splatoon is struggling now for an online user base I don't fancy the watchdogs scene being very lively (is it even online or is that a mis-memory???)

I was actually thinking BoTW could have been just the thing... Assassins Creed sounds the most likely.. I know that the Wii U version is the weakest one, but without comparisons to other platforms, Black flag fares well as a game, right? Watchdogs I'm not as sure on, the game has had people calling it awesome and trash... and I understand an active online userbase is necessary to get the most from it? Considering even Splatoon is struggling now for an online user base I don't fancy the watchdogs scene being very lively (is it even online or is that a mis-memory???)

Black Flag is great and will keep you busy for a long time. It's certainly better than Creed 3, which is also available on the Wii U.

As you mentioned, Watch Dogs is a bit of a marmite game. I found it very boring and dull but others on here really enjoyed it.

The BBC iplayer will be discontinued for Wii U in January next year:

We would like to inform you that due to an end in the license agreement between the BBC and Nintendo, as of 31st August 2016 the BBC iPlayer application on Wii U is no longer available to download from the Nintendo eShop.

The BBC iPlayer service will continue, for those users who have it installed on their Wii U console, until 16th January 2017, after which the service will be fully discontinued.

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for enjoying the BBC iPlayer application on Wii U.

Edited by Helmsly

Strange, I wonder what's caused them to abandon it. That said, most people have another solution for this now, like Chromecast or Smart-TV. If you love iPlayer through your Wii U something like the Roku Express might be good for your Christmas list :)

Strange, I wonder what's caused them to abandon it. That said, most people have another solution for this now, like Chromecast or Smart-TV. If you love iPlayer through your Wii U something like the Roku Express might be good for your Christmas list :)

I imagine it's because the WiiU is on it's way out. Didn't a very similar thing happen at the end of the Wii's lifespan?

It could also have to do with the fee they are going to charge for access to the iplayer? it may constitute a change in the terms to the agreement between themselves and Nintendo and rather than create a new agree ment for the Wii U Nintendo may be more interested in the NX...

Funnily enough I just set up my 2 Wii U Pro controllers on my PC with Windows 10 about 2 days ago.

Windows 10 now makes it easier than ever to set up. No Toshiba Stack, just a cheap USB bluetooth dongle, and the WiinuPro/soft download. It literally took me 3 minutes to get it all downloaded and running.

Hi, I've found some bluetooth device, so I would try to make it work. It's an old device, but let's try it.

So, my first effort didn't work, so can you help, please? Thx.

EDIT: It could be the USB adapter as it is an old one....

EDIT 1: When I install the WiiUSoft softaware the device doens't work anymore. I can see it, but when I want to do something with it it says it's not connected.

Edited by Kounan

I imagine it's because the WiiU is on it's way out. Didn't a very similar thing happen at the end of the Wii's lifespan?

Well, they discontinued the iplayer for the Wii in February 2015 so at least the Wii U was out already by this time. I'd imagine with there being so few Wii U owners in the UK and with less and less of those people using the console as the months go on, hardly anyone is using the app for them to justify keeping it running.

I wish they were keeping it running for a little while longer though. At last until the NX has a version of the app.

Hi, I've found some bluetooth device, so I would try to make it work. It's an old device, but let's try it.

So, my first effort didn't work, so can you help, please? Thx.

EDIT: It could be the USB adapter as it is an old one....

EDIT 1: When I install the WiiUSoft softaware the device doens't work anymore. I can see it, but when I want to do something with it it says it's not connected.

It may well be the Bluetooth USB adapter. Are you using the supplied drivers or Windows 10 own driver for the Bluetooth dongle?

And when setting up WiinUSoft make sure the Bluetooth driver check is NOT checked. You should allow Win 10 to do all the driver work and not WiinuSoft.

First make sure the USB adapter is fully recognised by Win 10 and can at least detect your controller.

Then unistall WiinUSoft and reinstall, but with the driver NOT checked. Have a look at this, as well;

https://www.reddit.com/r/wiiu/comments/3bzdx0/wii_u_pro_controller_as_xbox_controller_on/

Because you have Win 10, skip straight to Step 4.

Did this help?

It may well be the Bluetooth USB adapter. Are you using the supplied drivers or Windows 10 own driver for the Bluetooth dongle?

And when setting up WiinUSoft make sure the Bluetooth driver check is NOT checked. You should allow Win 10 to do all the driver work and not WiinuSoft.

First make sure the USB adapter is fully recognised by Win 10 and can at least detect your controller.

Then unistall WiinUSoft and reinstall, but with the driver NOT checked. Have a look at this, as well;

https://www.reddit.com/r/wiiu/comments/3bzdx0/wii_u_pro_controller_as_xbox_controller_on/

Because you have Win 10, skip straight to Step 4.

Did this help?

Last night I also started installing toshiba stack and finished it this morning (before I've read what you've wrote).

It can find the controller i recognized it (the bluetooth device and the WinUSoft), but I can't use it.

How do I connect it (I have tried with the red button)?

EDIT: OK It works, It looks like I've skiped one step. Thx a lot :)

Edited by Kounan

More so Wii than anything; but I got talking to someone at work about the BMJ's general Christmas articles and in looking for the one I was after I came across this one that rather amused me;

http://www.bmj.com/content/349/bmj.g7267

Wii Knee! Coming to your home soon! Perform revolutionary "Surgerii" to help patients get their legs better in time for the big race at Wuhu Island!

What do you mean it's not a game?

I always said I'd never buy any external storage for my Wii U and yet here we are, almost 4 years since the release of the console, and I've finally taken the decision to expand the measly 32GB of the Wii U!

Having recently obtained FAST Racing Neo and expecting to purchase Never Alone tonight, I don't have enough room in the fridge to download the latter and have decided to purchase a 16GB Sandisk Ultra Fit, despite these not being recommended for use with Wii U and the supposed heat the comes with this model :heh:

1410573263327-P-2009677.jpg

It's not a huge upgrade but I was always disgusted by the thought of having to plug in an extra device and have it sitting around the Wii U so this is something of a compromise as it'll fit neatly into one of the USB ports at the back and I shouldn't even really notice it :smile:

If it doesn't work, I can use it for something else but at £4.99 it isn't much of a risk :grin:

I always said I'd never buy any external storage for my Wii U and yet here we are, almost 4 years since the release of the console, and I've finally taken the decision to expand the measly 32GB of the Wii U!

Having recently obtained FAST Racing Neo and expecting to purchase Never Alone tonight, I don't have enough room in the fridge to download the latter and have decided to purchase a 16GB Sandisk Ultra Fit, despite these not being recommended for use with Wii U and the supposed heat the comes with this model :heh:

1410573263327-P-2009677.jpg

It's not a huge upgrade but I was always disgusted by the thought of having to plug in an extra device and have it sitting around the Wii U so this is something of a compromise as it'll fit neatly into one of the USB ports at the back and I shouldn't even really notice it :smile:

If it doesn't work, I can use it for something else but at £4.99 it isn't much of a risk :grin:

I used a USB stick for ages with my Wii U (although not one as tiny as that :o) before finally upgrading to an external HDD, and encountered no problems whatsoever. But yeah, I think you should be OK.

Pretty mad you've lasted this long without additional storage, although knowing you and your insanely high standards *cough* fussy gamer *cough* :heh::hug: I shouldn't be surprised. :laughing:

I used a USB stick for ages with my Wii U (although not one as tiny as that :o) before finally upgrading to an external HDD, and encountered no problems whatsoever. But yeah, I think you should be OK.

Pretty mad you've lasted this long without additional storage, although knowing you and your insanely high standards *cough* fussy gamer *cough* :heh::hug: I shouldn't be surprised. :laughing:

I never really embraced the Wii U VC as my Wii is full of classic titles and I didn't want to do a Wii to Wii U transfer.

I was actually just going to delete games I'd got extremely cheaply from a humble bundle that I have no real intention or desire to play but I figured I'd attempt to expand the storage instead, especially since my download speeds are criminally slow :nono:

I never really embraced the Wii U VC as my Wii is full of classic titles and I didn't want to do a Wii to Wii U transfer.

I was actually just going to delete games I'd got extremely cheaply from a humble bundle that I have no real intention or desire to play but I figured I'd attempt to expand the storage instead, especially since my download speeds are criminally slow :nono:

Actually I never really got much in the way of VC titles either, and also didn't transfer over from Wii.

I think if I did some sorting out and deleted old demos and crap I never play (like the 10GB Xenoblade patch! :o) I could probably lose my external HDD and at least go back to just using a USB stick.

Can't really be bothered though. :zzz:

Still get a bit annoyed when thinking about the data management system on Wii U, and how much of a faff it is. Really hope Nintendo have put some serious thought into this area for the NX.

I still haven't upgraded the memory in any way and seeing as Paper Mario looks to be the final game that I will play on the console, it looks as though i've managed to make it through all the way to the end of the consoles lifespan without having to splash the extra cash.

Once Paper Mario is done I think I may as well just box the console up. There's only Zelda left to come out but even then I will be opting for the NX version and just getting a Wii U copy for collection purposes.

I still haven't upgraded the memory in any way and seeing as Paper Mario looks to be the final game that I will play on the console, it looks as though i've managed to make it through all the way to the end of the consoles lifespan without having to splash the extra cash.

Once Paper Mario is done I think I may as well just box the console up. There's only Zelda left to come out but even then I will be opting for the NX version and just getting a Wii U copy for collection purposes.

Have you been deleting stuff over time, or did you just not fill the system memory with everything you've saved/downloaded?

Pretty sad Paper Mario is basically the final game for most of us. :(

I could never box up my Wii U until the next Mario Kart is out though. :hehe:

Have you been deleting stuff over time, or did you just not fill the system memory with everything you've saved/downloaded?

Pretty sad Paper Mario is basically the final game for most of us. :(

I could never box up my Wii U until the next Mario Kart is out though. :hehe:

I had to jig a few things around. Any digital Wii games that I have bought usually got deleted once I had finished them and stupidly large patches from stuff like Xenoblade, Smash Bros and Hyrule Warriors also got thrown in the bin. All my VC games and eShop stuff is still on the console though. I think it's just all the patches that eat away at the memory.

Yeah, sad times. Saying that, the console has been on life support for over a year now, with games just being drip fed to us.

I set mine up last weekend after my girlfriend's kids asked me to... after a bit of SM3DW, Rayman, MK8 and Splatoon they quickly wanted to go back to Minecraft, Rocket League and Battlefront on the Xbox One.

Are Nintendo losing their appeal to kids?

@kav82

I think they lost their appeal to kids a long time ago. Nintendo believes that kids play games like mario and MK. Lots do of course (just look at the sale figures of MK alone) but many more play the games you have cited.