NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Wii U General Discussion

Play Xenoblade, give it a chance. Unless you really don't like exploring at all you should try it. I never had any problems with missions because of affinity, at least not for the missions in the main story.

I still haven't finished it, but only because I am exploring now and don't want to start the last chapter (now I am probably overpowered anyway).

I absolutely LOVED Xenoblade on the Wii.

I loved exploring, although I absolutely could not be bothered with side-quests.

The post below confirmed that I should not get this game, after others had already swayed me against it.

So I made it to level 30, go to accept the next story mission and... "requirements not met". :blank:

Turns out I also needed to do another affinity quest too. *sigh* So I begin looking for this affinity quest, and when I finally find it and attempt to start it... "requirements not met". :mad:

Not enough affinity with a certain NPC apparently. Are you kidding me!? :heh:

*closes software*

*ejects disc*

*powers off Wii U*

Yeah, pretty sure I'm done with this game now.

It's a shame, as I really wanted to try out the flying Skells and see how the story unfolded. But guess I'll just watch the remaining cutscenes on YouTube to save myself from the additional aggravation of grinding levels (and affinity :indeed:) and just generally struggling against the bizarre mechanics of this game.

Note to self:

DO NOT BUY ANYMORE GAMES LIKE THIS!

I absolutely LOVED Xenoblade on the Wii.

I loved exploring, although I absolutely could not be bothered with side-quests.

The post below confirmed that I should not get this game, after others had already swayed me against it.

Come on, that has to be utter bollocks, as Xenoblade Chronicles basically required sub quests and enemy farming at times to ensure you were correctly levelled to fight bosses. There were several difficultly spikes which sent people off farming enemies for hours!

Xenoblade Chronicles X is an excellent game. Whilst it losses some of what was in the first in terms of story, it adds a hell of a lot more in terms of the Skells and the size of scope of the world. Literally hours and hours can be spent just exploring and if you set your classes up correctly there is a LOT less farming needed in this game, in fact I found I always over levelled for all the main story levels.

Missing out on a game like this is crazy, especially if you enjoyed the first. It is well layered that each time you think you're getting to a point where you are comfortable a whole new layer open up and you realise there is so much to do.

Come on, that has to be utter bollocks, as Xenoblade Chronicles basically required sub quests and enemy farming at times to ensure you were correctly levelled to fight bosses. There were several difficultly spikes which sent people off farming enemies for hours!

Xenoblade Chronicles X is an excellent game. Whilst it losses some of what was in the first in terms of story, it adds a hell of a lot more in terms of the Skells and the size of scope of the world. Literally hours and hours can be spent just exploring and if you set your classes up correctly there is a LOT less farming needed in this game, in fact I found I always over levelled for all the main story levels.

Missing out on a game like this is crazy, especially if you enjoyed the first. It is well layered that each time you think you're getting to a point where you are comfortable a whole new layer open up and you realise there is so much to do.

I hardly touched any side-quests, the only ones I did were the "kill 10 of this beast" ones. Only against Lorithia did I need to do any grinding... and I didn't have to do much after figuring that Melia was ace against her!

I was under the level of all bosses I fought but still defeated them all.

Edited by Kav

I really don't understand how it happend to RedShell, I just don't get it.

Yes if you really just go for the main mission it can happen, but I don't know why would someone skip some of the exploration, especially later in the game, as it is really good. I have one mission to go and just don't want to finish the game, but will have to finish it so I can get Lego City Undercover and Lego Batman 2.

I've got to admit, @RedShell's post was also the bit that tipped me over the fence into the "no" side. I was initially veeeeeery excited for the game, but the more and more info that came out, the more my excitement dwindled. The grinding in Xenoblade was annoying and the sidequests pissed me off at times due to their randomness. I once posted on here about searching for two hours for one item that just wouldn't appear...that's not fun.

I'll probably pick it up at some point, but I'm not super-pumped to play it. Thinking back, the characters, setting and music made Xenoblade Chronicles amazing for me and the same voices that said this was amazing in the Wii game were also saying it was notably not as great in X. The fact that it is STILL full price almost a year after release takes the piss too, imo.

Also, The Witcher 3 has kinda destroyed any hype I had to play this. @Blade will know what I mean.

Mario 3D World was a really enjoyable game. There was nothing really special or ground breaking about it. I found it very similar to 3D Land to be honest. It has nothing on Galaxy, SM64, SMW or even SMB3. I'd probably even rank Sunshine over it.

I've got to admit, @RedShell's post was also the bit that tipped me over the fence into the "no" side. I was initially veeeeeery excited for the game, but the more and more info that came out, the more my excitement dwindled. The grinding in Xenoblade was annoying and the sidequests pissed me off at times due to their randomness. I once posted on here about searching for two hours for one item that just wouldn't appear...that's not fun.

I'll probably pick it up at some point, but I'm not super-pumped to play it. Thinking back, the characters, setting and music made Xenoblade Chronicles amazing for me and the same voices that said this was amazing in the Wii game were also saying it was notably not as great in X. The fact that it is STILL full price almost a year after release takes the piss too, imo.

Also, The Witcher 3 has kinda destroyed any hype I had to play this. @Blade will know what I mean.

Because the game is out for long time now, when you have a problem, just check online and continue with it and it will make these quests a lot easier.

You will not need to do it often as you can buy some of the staff with reward tickets.

I really don't understand how it happend to RedShell, I just don't get it.

Yes if you really just go for the main mission it can happen, but I don't know why would someone skip some of the exploration, especially later in the game, as it is really good. I have one mission to go and just don't want to finish the game, but will have to finish it so I can get Lego City Undercover and Lego Batman 2.

Well, my two cents to go with those of others...

I absolutely adored the original Xenoblade and completed it fully; one of my favourite games of the generation.

I have put maybe 20-25 hours into Xenoblade X over Christmas and honestly don't have much inclination to go back. The whole game is so nuanced and just nowhere near as fun to play as the original. It can at times be pretty tiresome even initiating a quest (being told you must assemble a party in a particular way, then finding out you have to do another quest first, etc). The party setup system and quest initiation left me feeling like it was more of an MMORPG in that respect. It is structured in a way that makes it quite boring - you report back to the base for more missions. It's not like in the original where your party continuously explored the world and the story unfolds around you.

The battle system and the quirks of it feel much less enjoyable, and even at times tedious. I don't like the extra complexity of gun mode and character progression - I think the relative simplicity of battling in the first game was perfect. There's a lot that could have been explained I think, that would have made certain parts less tedious (not that I like games that hold your hand, but this is too far the other extreme in places). The game can be fun in doses but honestly was a world apart from the original, for me.

Also...I cannot overstate how much of a supermassive dick move it was for them to move away from story and a cool main character. It was one of the best things about the original, and story is a very important thing in RPGs. Total fuck up. Sorry.

I have heard the game 'opens up' when you aquire a Skell; given that's quite a bit later, I'm somewhat far from getting there (if I get there). I'm a little dubious of this statement but we'll see. Many of my grievances I imagine are there for the long haul.

Edited by Sheikah

Yeah the impressions by people on here put me off. The lack of involved story put me off massively. The original xenoblade was amazing. Why they got rid of the characters i will never know. S

Nevertheless if I was a Nintendo only gamer then I would have picked this game up but seeing that i'm not there are other games that I would prefer to get and play.

The art style/character of 3D World reeeeeally bothers me. I just don't like the vibe it gives off.

I'd be well up for giving the game a go, especially for the multiplayer, but the game just bothers me.

Mario 3D World was a really enjoyable game. There was nothing really special or ground breaking about it. I found it very similar to 3D Land to be honest. It has nothing on Galaxy, SM64, SMW or even SMB3. I'd probably even rank Sunshine over it.

It's a great game and looks gorgeous but it's no Galaxy beater. The soundtrack alone in the Galaxy games make these the ones to beat.

I do enjoy the challenge of the post game worlds in 3D World. The main game is super easy but things really kick up a notch when you get to those final stages. Same thing with Captain Toad and Yoshi's Woolly World. Gorgeous games, very polished but super easy until the extra stuff is unlocked.

Level design wise I think it easily beats Galaxy, but I suppose the latter is more popular because it involves open ended levels.

Level design wise I think it easily beats Galaxy, but I suppose the latter is more popular because it involves open ended levels.

I preferred the Galaxy levels to 3D World, but I enjoyed Galaxy 2 more than Galaxy, which is odd, as Galaxy 2 was almost like all the ideas and crazy bits that never made it to Galaxy, which in a way made it less of a cohesive experience, but at the same time was so diverse in game play and just such a joy to play.

I think the strength of 3D Mario titles is they are all so different. 3D World felt different to Galaxy, which felt different to Sunshine which felt different to Mario 64. I think after so long, Nintendo are still innovating and still finding new ways for the game to play.

But with it being Nintendo they're damned if they do and damned if they don't. When they move something in a different direction or change the formula they are shouted down because it isn't Mario 64 Version 2.0. Equally, when Nintendo stick to a formula like they do with the 2D games they are shouted down for not changing the formula!

It's similar to Xenoblade Chronicles X, the complaints that Nintendo weren't producing huge, involving games in massive open worlds that were aimed at the core gamer were answered with that title, but then no one bought it as it wasn't a replay of the Wii title. (For the record, XCX is not as good as XC, but it is still an excellent game)

Mario Galaxy 2 is my favourite game of all time I think. Followed by Galaxy.

I also loved 3D world, excellent game. Best 3D platformer since Galaxy 2. I can't think of anyone even coming close to Mario games on any platform over the years (I personally don't think Banjo games come close either) and don't quite understand why people are so quick to criticise. Yeah, it may not be as good as Galaxy, or as innovative as mario 64 - but literally NOTHING IS! Mario 3D work being in the top 5 3d platformers of all time is still a reasonable achievement...

Mario Galaxy 2 is my favourite game of all time I think. Followed by Galaxy.

I also loved 3D world, excellent game. Best 3D platformer since Galaxy 2. I can't think of anyone even coming close to Mario games on any platform over the years (I personally don't think Banjo games come close either) and don't quite understand why people are so quick to criticise. Yeah, it may not be as good as Galaxy, or as innovative as mario 64 - but literally NOTHING IS! Mario 3D work being in the top 5 3d platformers of all time is still a reasonable achievement...

I rate Banjo Kazooie higher than Mario 64. Far more character, hilarious writing and innuendo, amazing soundtrack all made for a better game, IMO.

As for other platformers, the original Jak and Daxter ( before ND went all GTA on us ) was absolutely amazing and the Ratchet and Clank series is also up there, as well.

Still, the release of a 3D Mario game is always a special time.

I do enjoy the challenge of the post game worlds in 3D World. The main game is super easy but things really kick up a notch when you get to those final stages. Same thing with Captain Toad and Yoshi's Woolly World. Gorgeous games, very polished but super easy until the extra stuff is unlocked.

I love how many of Nintendo's games are designed in this way, particularly the platformers : peace:

Not everybody has been playing Mario games for as long as we have and although this may mean that the first few stages in Super Mario 3D World were quite pedestrian and almost entirely joyless, personally, I knew that it was going to get much more fun and challenging as I progressed :hehe:

I play a few levels in Yoshi's Woolly World with my wife every now and again to hunt down the collectables together and it adds such a different dimension to the game other than simply making it to the end of each stage. The fact that there are badges you can purchase before levels is yet another great addition as it can remove some of the frustration of not being able to find some of the hidden items, particularly the invisible winged clouds :heh:

There are games that I will endeavour to beat 100% straight away, such as most Mario platformers and Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker but having lots of things to go back for in Yoshi's Woolly World and Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze keeps them fun and relevant for years :hehe:

I love how many of Nintendo's games are designed in this way, particularly the platformers : peace:

Not everybody has been playing Mario games for as long as we have and although this may mean that the first few stages in Super Mario 3D World were quite pedestrian and almost entirely joyless, personally, I knew that it was going to get much more fun and challenging as I progressed :hehe:

I play a few levels in Yoshi's Woolly World with my wife every now and again to hunt down the collectables together and it adds such a different dimension to the game other than simply making it to the end of each stage. The fact that there are badges you can purchase before levels is yet another great addition as it can remove some of the frustration of not being able to find some of the hidden items, particularly the invisible winged clouds :heh:

There are games that I will endeavour to beat 100% straight away, such as most Mario platformers and Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker but having lots of things to go back for in Yoshi's Woolly World and Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze keeps them fun and relevant for years :hehe:

Or a long weekend for me. :heh:

I do enjoy this kind of setup, though. I don't mind if a game is easy, as long as it's fun. I love the added bonus of the unlockables and post world content in Nintendo platformers, especially the Mario stuff. The final levels in 3D World, Captain Toad, 3D Land and Galaxy 2 were absolutely amazing and offered a fantastic challenge that has your heart racing.

With the arrival of Wario Land Shake Dimension on the eShop this week, it highlights another fantastic 2D platformer that is easy to play but difficult to master. Getting 100% in that game was an absolute joy.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

Or a long weekend for me. :heh:

I do enjoy this kind of setup, though. I don't mind if a game is easy, as long as it's fun. I love the added bonus of the unlockables and post world content in Nintendo platformers, especially the Mario stuff. The final levels in 3D World, Captain Toad, 3D Land and Galaxy 2 were absolutely amazing and offered a fantastic challenge that has your heart racing.

With the arrival of Wario Land Shake Dimension on the eShop this week, it highlights another fantastic 2D platformer that is easy to play but difficult to master. Getting a 100% in that game was an absolute joy.

I had that pleasure with Kirby's Epic Yarn last year where going back to obtain all the collectables opened up my eyes to how incredible that game really is : peace:

I actually contemplated doing the same with Wario Land: The Shake Dimension afterwards but I wasn't finding it as compelling and didn't go through with it.. yet :heh:

To be fair, though, despite enjoying clearing it originally, Wario Land games tend not to resonate so much with me!

To be fair, though, despite enjoying clearing it originally, Wario Land games tend not to resonate so much with me!

I'm not the biggest fan of the series but I adored Shake Dimension. Must have something to do with Good Feel making it. :D

I'm not the biggest fan of the series but I adored Shake Dimension. Must have something to do with Good Feel making it. :D

i'm genuinely tempted to give it a go. How many hours long is it?

i'm genuinely tempted to give it a go. How many hours long is it?

I honestly don't know, but I do remember this game having some great animation.

tumblr_lp8mbyRLCD1qmc5obo1_250.gif

Yep, some top-notch animation.

Production IG spared no expense in putting those frames where it counted ;)

Surely that's bottom-notch.. :blank:

To me 3D World is a greatest hits album. It's full of greats but I'm only ever inclined to dip in as it lacks a cohesive voice.