NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Wii U General Discussion

Recent "rumours" from "Nintendo insiders" seem to be pointing towards a lack of support for the second half of 2016 when it comes to the Wii U - and the only known title in the second half is being assumed as such, which is the new Legend of Zelda Wii U game.

Kav82, I agree that it gives it credence. Though, is it possible that Nintendo will continue their tradition of backwards compatibility by releasing it for the Wii U, then having it playable on the NX? I mean, assuming it releases this year (Holiday 2016 seems about right for a new console release), having a new version of an already released game might send Wii U owners over the edge.

Edited by Julius Caesar

I'd happily sacrifice backwards compatibility if it meant the console could be much more powerful. If I want to play Wii U games, that's what my Wii U is for. Can't believe Microsoft is blowing so much money and resources on it.

I'd happily sacrifice backwards compatibility if it meant the console could be much more powerful. If I want to play Wii U games, that's what my Wii U is for. Can't believe Microsoft is blowing so much money and resources on it.

Can't help but agree with this. Literally can't understand the fuss about Red Dead Redemption compatibility. On the off chance I wanted to replay if I would just boot up my PS3.

I can understand because if I get an NX and it's backwards compatible then I can trade in my WiiU.

I agree. Though, with cloud storage and such rumoured for Nintendo Network, it has to make you wonder if that's what it could be for. And many, many previous consoles of Nintendo's have been backwards compatible.

Using Zelda Wii U as an example, it wouldn't make sense to release the game on two different home consoles, especially around the touted Holiday 2016 launch. They are still trying to sell Wii U's, after all.

I can understand because if I get an NX and it's backwards compatible then I can trade in my WiiU.

I suppose. Looking at the 360 though, it's around £18-30 sale value on CEX now (model dependent) and even then backwards compatibility only works with so many games. Wouldn't surprise me if the Wii U was worth similar money by the point its successor had formidable BC.

Don't get me wrong, I get it has utility but don't get the excitement some have for it. It's surely one of the best things to sacrifice if it means making a better console in other areas.

I suppose. Looking at the 360 though, it's around £18-30 sale value on CEX now (model dependent) and even then backwards compatibility only works with so many games. Wouldn't surprise me if the Wii U was worth similar money by the point its successor had formidable BC.

Don't get me wrong, I get it has utility but don't get the excitement some have for it. It's surely one of the best things to sacrifice if it means making a better console in other areas.

I understand but I do agree with you. I don't put on my WiiU as it is so I couldn't care less for BC. Like you, I'd much rather they sacrifice it to better the console!

Agreed, I'd rather have a better console in the event they had to leave something on the cutting room floor. I still think they'll carry it over (or we'll see a bunch of titles come out on the eShop) though, this is Nintendo at the end of the day.

I'd love for them to drop BC just say they can get rid of the mess they've gotten themselves in with all the different controllers! Just go back to a standard controller (with a screen if they want to carry on with that) that has analogue shoulder buttons!

I'd love for them to drop BC just say they can get rid of the mess they've gotten themselves in with all the different controllers! Just go back to a standard controller (with a screen if they want to carry on with that) that has analogue shoulder buttons!

Although at first it seemed a good idea being able to use your old controllers it has become a confusing mess.

I'm all for getting rid of backwards compatibility on the proviso that basic features are included in the console this time.

STOP THE PRESSES!!!!!

Forget all these silly rumours, they don't matter!

Something far more important has finally happened...

http://www.retrostudios.com/

RETRO STUDIOS HAVE FINALLY UPDATED THEIR WEBSITE DESIGN!!!

IT DOESN'T LOOK LIKE A GEOSITES PAGE FROM 1995 ANYMORE!!!

It actually looks... good!

34262718.jpg

STOP THE PRESSES!!!!!

Looks far better than it did yesterday. The thing was a broken mess when it first came back online. :D

Hmm it depends. There are three VR services launching this year compared to one console so each one doesn't need to do particularly well to cumulatively do better.

I think the article / original analysis was trying to suggest that it's down to opinion. If Nintendo releases a machine in line, or a bit better, than PS4/One it could be seen as technologically lacking compared to all the shiny new VR stuff coming out. It may very well have other technical clout and VR could very well fizzle out (I don't personally believe it will, but it's a possibility) but perception accounts for a lot (also known as the "kiddy console affect").

STOP THE PRESSES!!!!!

34262718.jpg

They have a 'news' section. :heh:

Whilst their games are always great, the section for their titles on that site just goes to show how few we get. At this point it's pretty much one game per generation.

And their logo reminds me of a brand of batteries.

Nope, their logo reminds me of a better time. Metroid Prime time.

REALLY hoping for an NX first party launch lineup of Zelda, Mario and Metroid. NINTENDO BRING BACK YOUR TRINITY

REALLY hoping for an NX first party launch lineup of Zelda, Mario and Metroid. NINTENDO BRING BACK YOUR TRINITY
It's quite possible. Come E3 it will have been two and a half years since the Mario team delivered 3D World, and I think they said a while back about wanting to use Mario to show off their next console.

Zelda may well be getting a port... that just leaves whatever Retro has been working on. Mind you, that's not to say Retro don't deliver something new, or reignite another franchise, whilst a different team has been tasked with the next Metroid, be it 2D or 3D.

I'm still holding out hope for that rumoured Diddy Kong Racing Wii U to emerge as an NX title

I'm still holding out hope for that rumoured Diddy Kong Racing Wii U to emerge as an NX title

I'd be absolutely delighted about that :hehe: They could easily just move Mario Kart 8 to NX and keep pumping it with new cups and modes and leave Diddy Kong Racing to provide something different with the inclusion of different vehicles :grin:

Having said that, the Mario Kart brand is so strong that this would be an unrealistic expectation. However, I'd love the next iteration to include things like planes, jet skis, scramblers and perhaps even snowboards, especially if 1080, Wave Race and Excitebike aren't to be revived!

On a completely unrelated note - http://bgr.com/2016/02/23/nintendo-nx-release-date-vs-vr-headsets/

How can people actually think VR is going to outdo a dedicated console? Especially this year?

To address your earlier thing about BC - I'm also in the camp in favour of dropping it. I think if they try to do with ZeldaU what they did with TP or put BC into their next console it's going to be a grave mistake. Both for alienating customers but also for restricting the system.

As for VR - I think it's far too early, so no, not this year. It's still quite expensive, still quite new; it'll take a while for it to become more supported and more importantly cheaper in price and then into more hands and so forth. I'm not saying there's no demand, and there's a few people on here already interested/dabbling, but I think at the current price it's going to take a while to become commonplace enough to really matter. Nintendo should be aware of it and be considering it, but I don't think they should jump on it quite yet.