NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Wii U General Discussion

That video is fantastic @Rummy. That guy must have put so much work into it, I really like all of his ideas, the hot air balloon thing seems like such a no-brainer now. I've been begging for the option to be able to draw on the map since I played Phantom Hourglass and found it so valuable for the gameplay in that, I don't know why they didn't implement it into New Leaf.

Apparently shortages of Wii U in Japan, which can be seen in the sales numbers.

Does it mean that we could expect a price drop as the new consoles should be cheaper to make now?

Price drop after NX is released, no point doing it before.

Apparently shortages of Wii U in Japan, which can be seen in the sales numbers.

Does it mean that we could expect a price drop as the new consoles should be cheaper to make now?

I don't think it'd see a price drop - mostly because if its new manufacture yes it will be cheaper but they'll need to recoup the cost of the earlier high manufacture and subsequent costs of keeping all that stock etc. I'm also not sure how much the price of manufacture would drop over time for the WiiU, as I think it's more proprietary of sorts than the XBone or PS4 which has been said to use more off-the-shelf sort of parts, which will fall faster than custom parts. I'm sure someone out there is more knowledgeable than me - I have a feeling I might even be wrong tbh!

That video is fantastic @Rummy. That guy must have put so much work into it, I really like all of his ideas, the hot air balloon thing seems like such a no-brainer now. I've been begging for the option to be able to draw on the map since I played Phantom Hourglass and found it so valuable for the gameplay in that, I don't know why they didn't implement it into New Leaf.

I know right! Was wondering whether to give it its own thread for some new AC discussion, but wondered if it might end up too NX heavy and pull up the same discussions that seem to recur a lot. I was really impressed with the level of work he'd put in though - doesn't even seem like a cheap mockup, his level of detail is good enough for it to be the real thing for me! Did get me wondering if a launch AC could be a good idea - it'd certainly get people on their system regularly due to the real-time nature of AC. I haven't had much time to look into whether he's done/is going more stuff, but think he's definitely going to be someone to keep an eye on if so!

Price drop after NX is released, no point doing it before.

I don't think it'd see a price drop - mostly because if its new manufacture yes it will be cheaper but they'll need to recoup the cost of the earlier high manufacture and subsequent costs of keeping all that stock etc. I'm also not sure how much the price of manufacture would drop over time for the WiiU, as I think it's more proprietary of sorts than the XBone or PS4 which has been said to use more off-the-shelf sort of parts, which will fall faster than custom parts. I'm sure someone out there is more knowledgeable than me - I have a feeling I might even be wrong tbh!

But didn't they already make money on that, there was a report that now they are making nice profit on consoles as they have stopped producing and are selling the stock?

Also, even if the CPU is similar with the price, shouldn't the game pad be cheaper?

I also don't expect it to be cheaper, but was wondering if they will try to push more consoles out as their software is selling quite nicely.

That Animal Crossing video is brilliant! Very nicely done and some great ideas

IGN have made a list of their top 25 games on the Wii U so far.

Minecraft beating Tropical freeze? No Wonderful 101? :mad::mad::mad:

There are 25 games out on the Wii U?

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

Well, someone was bound to say it on here. :D

W101 so needs to be in there, I loved that game!

Baffles me that it didn't make their list. The ending stages of that game are hands down some of the most hype inducing stuff on the Wii U. It also helps that the game is absolutely hilarious. :D

Baffles me that it didn't make their list. The ending stages of that game are hands down some of the most hype inducing stuff on the Wii U. It also helps that the game is absolutely hilarious. :D

It's not as surprising to me. Towards the end, I was definitely feeling the fatigue.

The bosses and cutscenes are great, but the stuff in between started to feel like a right drag.

I totally agree that Minecraft over Tropical Freeze is mad though!

Minecraft and the lack of Wonderful 101 apart, that's a great list. I forgot how much fun Splatoon was, watching the video made me desperate to play it again.

I would have put Mario 3D World at the top though, platforming perfection, easily a 10/10 game.

Having actually watched the video now :p I am surprised by the inclusion of games like NES Remix and Captain Toad. (And also how high Shovel Knight was.)

Those games were fine games to play, but I don't think I would ever even consider them for a list like this when there are other 'full' games to consider. Obviously, good gameplay can make up for a lack of content, but I don't think these had particularly high peaks in that sense either.

Splatoon should have been higher than 10 as well!

Having actually watched the video now :p I am surprised by the inclusion of games like NES Remix and Captain Toad. (And also how high Shovel Knight was.)

Those games were fine games to play, but I don't think I would ever even consider them for a list like this when there are other 'full' games to consider. Obviously, good gameplay can make up for a lack of content, but I don't think these had particularly high peaks in that sense either.

Splatoon should have been higher than 10 as well!

This bad boy should have made the top 5!

Also, there's no Yoshi's Wooly World in the list. Crazy.

I don't get the love for Shovel Knight. I bought it a launch and still haven't finished it. Brian adores the game, so its no surprise its on the list.

Also, there's no Yoshi's Wooly World in the list. Crazy.

Oh damn! I just realised that!

That's terrible! Best Yoshi game since the SNES one and it's nowhere to be seen.

That long wait for the American version must have soured them badly!

The lack of Yoshi's Woolly World is even crazier than no W101!

IGN LOVE NES Remix, so no surprise to see that up there.

Captain Toad is top 5 for me as well, easy.

Shovel Knight is fantastic, I'm surprised by the criticism above. It felt like a celebration of Mega Man, Zelda II, Castevania and Duck Tales all in one.

Given how the vast majority of that list are Nintendo exclusives, I'd have dumped Minecraft and Disney Infinity and put in Yoshi and W101. Would have been nice to have found a spot for Hyrule Warriors or NintendoLand as well, the latter I find especially under-appreciated.

Shovel Knight is fantastic, I'm surprised by the criticism above. It felt like a celebration of Mega Man, Zelda II, Castevania and Duck Tales all in one.

I enjoyed Shovel Knight when I first played it but the further I got into it, the less I felt the need to continue. Maybe the nostalgia feelings it created just simply wore off.

As far as Shovel Knight is concerned I don't have nostalgic feelings for any of the sources mentioned (despite having played them all at the time) and I just can't see most games that feed off that sort of nostalgia belonging that high in a best of list.

Shovel Knight may feed off nostalgia but it's a fully realised game in its own right. The platforming is excellent, the world-building brilliant and the art and sound lovely. It has plenty of ideas on its own to be worthy of a place on the list, in fact I think it was in most GOTY lists that year, including IGN's.

Shovel Knight may feed off nostalgia but it's a fully realised game in its own right. The platforming is excellent, the world-building brilliant and the art and sound lovely. It has plenty of ideas on its own to be worthy of a place on the list, in fact I think it was in most GOTY lists that year, including IGN's.

Yeah, I think most sites gave it high praise. Doesn't mean to say I personally have to like the game, though. :p

It may be a great game, but its higher than Pikmin, Splatoon, Xenoblade X and that just seems crazy. Its probably that I have had too many 2D platformers though.

It may be a great game, but its higher than Pikmin, Splatoon, Xenoblade X and that just seems crazy. Its probably that I have had too many 2D platformers though.

Probably the same reason why Tropical Freeze was so low and Woolly World is nowhere to be seen?

I've just noticed that there's no Kirbys Rainbow Paintbrush on the list either! Kick Steam World Dig off there and give Kirby his rightful place in the top 25!