N-Europe

Wii U General Discussion

Hero-of-Time

Nintendo shares more details on Wii U Web Framework dev tools

Nintendo provided a few more details for its Nintendo Web Framework development program for Wii U at GDC Europe 2013, including a few helpful libraries and third-party dev kits creators of web games can use to port their titles to Nintendo's home console.

The software was first publicly demonstrated at GDC 2013 in March, where it was revealed that the Wii Street U application was developed using the framework. The aim, Nintendo of Europe manager of developer relations Martin Buchholz explained, is to provide web game developers with a simple method of releasing their Javascript and HTML5 games on Wii U with very, very little alteration to their core source code. If successful, the NWF would basically allow titles programmed in Javascript and HTML5 — using applicable libraries — to essentially be copied and pasted onto Wii U.

Today, a handful of those libraries were discussed. Popular programming support libraries like jQuery, Underscore and Handlebars have been tested with the software, as have renderers and artistic tools like Processing.js and pixi.js. Animation and utility libraries like Tween have also been tested for the hardware; but the largest focus during today's panel was all-encompassing development kit libraries; specifically Impact and Enchant.

A representative for Impact showcased how quickly a game programmed in Javascript could be iterated upon using the Wii U dev kit and Web Framework software. The sample game, an 8-bit platformer, was composed of elements divided into discrete layers; collision boxes, art assets and effects. After loading the game using the Framework software, it appeared on the networked Wii U devkit, with the GamePad showing important statistics and debug options for the software. The demo handler showed how valuable a tool the GamePad could be in this method, activating and deactivating layers to go under the game's hood, ensuring everything was working in a live environment.

The demo handler also showed how quickly games run through the Framework could be compiled on Wii U; using the Impact SDK, he quickly painted a new, blocky platform into the world, automatically updating the code in the Web Framework, and then updated the build, refreshing the live game within a matter of seconds.

The demo wasn't especially graphically impressive, but a second demo running in Impact showcased how many elements could run on screen through the Framework. The demo was a bullet-hell shooter, which rendered thousands of enemy bullets without causing a single framerate stutter. That was the sole purpose for why the demo was created; its developer said it only took him a week to get it developed, ported and running on Wii U.

The second dev kit library, Enchant, was not demonstrated during the panel. However, it was announced that Glandarius Wing Strike, an iOS game developed with the language, is currently in development for Wii U using the Nintendo Web Framework.

Developers using the framework will have full access to all the GamePad's functions, including its touch display, gyroscope, internal speaker and so on. They'll also be able to publish their games to the eShop using the same guidelines as a traditional developer; meaning they'll be able to set their own release date and price, bypass any concept approvals and post updates to the game (or post-launch DLC) without paying any certification fees.

Today's panel is one of two Nintendo is delivering in an attempt to court indie developers at GDC Europe — the second, which focuses on the Wii U-optimized tools for the popular Unity platform, will be delivered tomorrow at 7 a.m. ET.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/8/19/4635844/nintendo-shares-more-details-on-wii-u-web-framework-dev-tools

I'm convinced that, as a forum, we could make a better advert for the system than Nintendo can. I'm sure of it.

The advert was OK. It does it's best to tell people what the game pad does and the idea of the system. However it's a long way off the glory days. I was speaking @kav82 and he came up with a great idea for adverts based on the older (and highly successful) Wii ad campaign.

Stage 1: NEW console + Backwards Compatible

You would start with Ant and Dec or two celebrities that have chemistry. One is playing the Wii, the other walks in with the Wii U. Explains it's the NEW console from Nintendo, but states don't throw away your Wii remote, all of the old accessories and games work with the new console.

Stage 2: The game pad difference

Then they start playing it. Ant having trouble on NSMBU, Dec places platforms for him. Ant wants to watch TV, Dec wants to game - shows off screen play. One wants to play using the sword on Zelda, the other with the bow - Nintendo Land asymmetric gaming.

Stage 3: The Games

They then show Ant & Dec playing a montage of popular Nintendo titles. NSMBU, Nintendo Land, Mario 3D World, Mario Kart, Wind Waker HD and Pikmin. All your Nintendo favourites on a NEW console.

Simple, clean, effective and fronted by popular household names that the general public like and trust. Just like the Wii adverts.

The big problem with the advert I've just watched comes from the name of the console. Wii Balance Board, Wii Motion Plus, Wii Play, Wii Zapper and Wii U. It could just be another entry in a long line of add-ons and accessories.

It should have kept the Wii name, but been clear and concise on the fact it was a follow up - Wii 2, simple and obvious.

Send this to Nintendo someone! Haha

Edited by Kav

I have only just managed to bring myself to watching that advert. It is awful. That guy is annoying. I don't know who he is. Not many people will know who he is. It didn't show anything about the console or the unique games that exist on it. Whoever came up with that shit needs to be on the dole and I need their job!

I don't understand. The Wii U has some great things going for it, first of which is an online community that is actually a nice place to be.

There's a great article on gamesindustry.biz by Rob Fahey about how Nintendo might actually be looking to essentially ignore the Wii U until they can lower the production costs and start trying to sell it properly then. It's a bizarre article but it does kind of make some Nintendo sense.

Frankly I'm tired of the rhetoric.

It does have great things...so you wonder why they're letting it flounder so much? Read the article btw, certainly an interesting point of view.

This article from Apr seemed to suggest Wii U was sittnig on hardware sales of 3.45million units with software at 13.42million - does this not mean it's currently in profit with an attach rate of 3.88ish? I thought they only needed to sell one game to turn profit. Even discounting enough for a bundled in game it's still an attach of 2.88ish - that's profit right?

I just don't get it really. It feels like it's a silly man doing a silly thing. Did they get Hound to create the thing himself? Maybe I'm wildly out of touch with the kids but it just makes so little sense to me, feels like a spoof in itself.

I noticed this a few days ago, anyone explain why Pikmin 3 is flashing blue? Its not my most recent game played or most played.

Mine does that as well. It's my "I've been playing" but I don't know if it's related.

I believe the flashing game icon is a SpotPass notification, so probably something to do with the leaderboards.

Ahhh, maybe. I've not even seen the leaderboards in the game yet but that makes sense so it's probably that.

Ok, so Microsoft have lost exclusivity on Minecraft now, considering that it's hitting PS3 PS4 and even the fecking Vita. So why the hell haven't Nintendo gotten Mojang to release it on Wii U!?

The same could be asked of every other 3rd party franchise that the Wii U is currently missing. 3rd parties just don't care and won't until there's a major transformation in Wii U sales.

Ok, so Microsoft have lost exclusivity on Minecraft now, considering that it's hitting PS3 PS4 and even the fecking Vita. So why the hell haven't Nintendo gotten Mojang to release it on Wii U!?

Good question. Minecraft could be amazing on the Wii U, thanks to the GamePad

The same could be asked of every other 3rd party franchise that the Wii U is currently missing. 3rd parties just don't care and won't until there's a major transformation in Wii U sales.

nah I dont think it is just sales. Plays a part but Nintendo dont do enough to get 3rd parties on board. They told us Wii U would be different but same old same old.

Net effect; probably the same.

I'd say net effect

Sony: looks like a company that makes great products and knows what they're doing.

Nintendo: looks like a company that doesn't care about its product at all / is incredibly out of touch.

And yet Vita is getting a version made for it...

Sony's probably paying for these ports, just like Microsoft did. Nintendo are bloody stupid for not doing what's necessary to get that game on Wii U and 3DS!