N-Europe

Football Season 2013/2014

Ramar

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know spurs have not had a great run so far in the Prem and harsh losses like yesterday certainly didn't help but I still feel managers need to be given more than just what 5 months at the helm, the constant merry-go-round of managers in some places is just dizzying. Considering AVB's Europa League record so far, winning their group with a 100% record, you'd think he should have been given a bit more time.

I know spurs have not had a great run so far in the Prem and harsh losses like yesterday certainly didn't help but I still feel managers need to be given more than just what 5 months at the helm, the constant merry-go-round of managers in some places is just dizzying. Considering AVB's Europa League record so far, winning their group with a 100% record, you'd think he should have been given a bit more time.

Was it not last summer that AVB joined Spurs though? I think getting rid of him is the right decision. They've only scored 15 goals in 16 matches which is the lowest in the league and they haven't been playing particularly well for the amount of money that was spent on the squad in the summer.

Interesting draw. Arsenal must be kicking themselves for letting the top spot of that group slip right at the last.

Man U and Chelsea should get through at least. I'll also stick me neck out right now and say that City will.

I expect Arsenal to go out but they have a fighting chance. Bayern probably did not want to face them as much as any club.

With regards to Spurs: it figures. While their points tally isn't too bad, they have been playing some dreadful stuff. That whole 'Spurs as title contenders' talk looks very silly now.

With regards to Spurs: it figures. While their points tally isn't too bad, they have been playing some dreadful stuff. That whole 'Spurs as title contenders' talk looks very silly now.

By that logic Mourinho should be out, Chelsea have played dross! (Though admittedly their points are much better)

AVB should have kept his mouth shut about the fans after the game against Hull, but this is reckless from Spurs I think, AVB is a good manager as he proved last season, they were favourites for Europa and winning that or the league cup would have been a great foundation to lay, especially with half a new team in place this season and losing one of the worlds best players. Board should have sacked AVB but kept Bale, letting his best player leave then hanging him out to dry is poor.

Still, as I said yesterday, West Brom would be a fantastic fit for him!

I go away for TWO DAYS and come back to see we've been walloped by Liverpool and AVB's off with another huge severance package.

Have wanted to like the handsome portuguese tyke but this season our play's been even more turgid, not to mention boring to watch, than last season.

Gotta be a mistake not to wait till summer to axe him, though - who's going to come in and do a better job? I look forward to a year in which we don't have middling results blamed on 'being in transition', though I fear I could be waiting a while.

Hmm, I'm in two minds about it. I don't like him or his personality, or the way in which he organises his teams. He seems to be incredibly limited, regardless of the players who are at his disposal. His interviews as well...he just seems to talk shit, but he comes across as sounding more intelligent than he probably is.

Saying that, sacking any manager at Christmas seems wrong in my view. (unless that team are far off the mark, ie relegation fodder) They should have stuck with him til the end of the season and then judged him. Arguably though, they were performing worse and worse as the season went on. But, I can't see who is available and who would want to come in. I'm hearing whispers of Capello or Klinsmann. Either would be excellent.

Edited by Fierce_LiNk

Since when has Klinsmann been regarded a good club manager? Which then begs the question would either want to piss away their hard work 6 months before the World Cup?

An absolutely abysmal time to sack the manager, a terribly Tottenham thing to do.

Since when has Klinsmann been regarded a good club manager? Which then begs the question would either want to piss away their hard work 6 months before the World Cup?

An absolutely abysmal time to sack the manager, a terribly Tottenham thing to do.

Klinsmann is partly responsible for the drastic changes at various level that have happened over in Germany, with the national team benefiting immensely. That's something he's trying to incorporate over in America. He's doing a more than sound job at International Level. The time might be right for him to look at doing it at club level. (he had a brief spell at Bayern Munich, very early on, did pretty well in the Champions League)

On paper, the appointment would seem like a good move. He's popular with the fans, he's known for promoting youth and developing the style of football at a club. I could see him coming over and being successful.

The only reason(s) he probably won't come will be, as you said, because of the World Cup and probably because Spurs will go for somebody else entirely. Rumours of Hoddle taking over, and all that.

Either way, shit move to remove the manager now.

Klinsmann is partly responsible for the drastic changes at various level that have happened over in Germany, with the national team benefiting immensely. That's something he's trying to incorporate over in America. He's doing a more than sound job at International Level. The time might be right for him to look at doing it at club level. (he had a brief spell at Bayern Munich, very early on, did pretty well in the Champions League).

AVB was the next Mourinho, 'Arry was the second coming of Jesus, Christian Gross had an underground travel card.

The only reason(s) he probably won't come will be, as you said, because of the World Cup and probably because Spurs will go for somebody else entirely. Rumours of Hoddle taking over, and all that.

Either way, shit move to remove the manager now.

I can't see any international manager who has qualified for the World Cup wanting to leave their position unless a job came up at one of the top clubs in Europe.

I'm not surprised AVB is gone, people act as though somehow all teams can do well, that somehow they can all meet their targets, realise their ambitions, and not be relegated. So when a cluster of teams all set their sights on the same target, it's always going to end in disappointment for some of the teams.

The pressure and failure in football never goes away, it just moves on to someone else, and when it hangs over a team for too long, the manager gets sacked.

If we weren't talking about AVB and Clarke we'd be talking about someone else. If Spurs beat liverpool 5-0, then City did us 6-0, people would be asking if Rodgers was really the man to take us forward, same discussion just a different team/manager.

Spurs aren't scoring yet they're up there fighting for a position in Europe. The goal difference is clearly in the sale of Bale!

list of length of stay for current managers in the top four flights. I have to admit I was shocked at how few managers had been in the same job for 3 or more years. My assumption was it was a top-flight pandemic, but clearly it's just the way it is, and I have to adjust my head to that.

I bet West Ham wish they played all their games at Shite Hart Lane.

It sounded like a good comeback. Spurs took off Adebayor and then almost immediately conceded two goals. They should have got the second before they went and removed one of their strikers, bit of an amateurish move.

I thought we played pretty well last night. Second clean sheet in a row. Defensively, we looked really solid. Our back give should be De Gea, Evra, Rafael for certain, and then either Evans-Jones or Evans-Smalling. It's strange, but we actually look weaker now when we play Ferdinand or Vidic. Evans should be starting every game and preferably Jones as his partner.

Cleverley actually looked pretty good yesterday, as he did against Villa. He looked like a proper box-to-box player, attacked well, defended well. He's just so inconsistent and I think that'll break it for him at United. Not sure he has it in him to do it week in week out.