NEurope
Ike

Mario Kart 8

Could be worse. Someone responded to the NOA twitter last night saying it'll be a bad game because it uses bright colours, which are "incapable of conveying emotion".

Standard.

Can't make everyone happy I suppose.

Besides, how often did you play that mode on Sonic?

Directly, never. But I played online with my girlfriend against my brother, his partner and 3 kids a hell of a lot. It was amazing.

Putting your Mario Kart TV clips on Facebook and Twitter seems unlikely sadly. It seems the only thing you send via Miiverse is game data, which is then rendered on the viewers console. Makes sense really, rather than upload low-res compressed videos which could take ages to upload/download etc

Only 2 player local online... Sonic racing had 5 player local online...

Imo, Mario Kart 8 has a lot to live up to compared to Sonic Transformed. The amount of variety in that game is immense. I'm playing it right now and have forgotten just how damn good it is.

Has it been noted here that the game is confirmed to have online leaderboards?

Such a thing shouldn't need confirming, it should already be a given.

As should voice chat. Nintendo are so behind the curve it's unreal!

Imo, Mario Kart 8 has a lot to live up to compared to Sonic Transformed. The amount of variety in that game is immense. I'm playing it right now and have forgotten just how damn good it is.

Such a thing shouldn't need confirming, it should already be a given.

Come now. Not all online games on other formats have leaderboards. Don't act like it's a standard that Nintendo keep missing.

@Serebii With a game like this, why wouldn't there be leaderboards? It's a racing game, and measures who's the fastest / best driver. Should be a given to include online rankings and statistics of how you're doing in comparison to other people!

@Serebii With a game like this, why wouldn't there be leaderboards? It's a racing game, and measures who's the fastest / best driver. Should be a given to include online rankings and statistics of how you're doing in comparison to other people!

Yeah, and it was a given that it'd be included, like Pikmin 3, DKC etc. All I was doing was providing the details that it had be included. Instead it got the "well Nintendo is behind so this is good news" crap. Basically, the classic back-handed compliment.

Edited by Serebii

I didn't realise you were confirming it, I thought you were asking it.

It was on the Wii version, it'd be a gobsmacking surprise if it wasn't in. But then it stupidly wasn't in the 3ds version...

So it has been confirmed then? Exactly what online functions have they confirmed so far, link, list?

Online (1 Player Local)

Online (2 Player Local)

Up to 12 players racing online at once

Leaderboards

Mario Kart TV - Record and save your races, with some editing tools. Upload to Miiverse.

We don't know the specifics of modes you can do online yet, though.

Edited by Serebii

I hope online runs summarily to MKWii. Drop into a race for VR points and keep going until you get bored.

Putting your Mario Kart TV clips on Facebook and Twitter seems unlikely sadly. It seems the only thing you send via Miiverse is game data, which is then rendered on the viewers console. Makes sense really, rather than upload low-res compressed videos which could take ages to upload/download etc

Where have you got this? Or just logically speaking? I think Nintendo will be making a huge huge error not allowing it.

Where have you got this? Or just logically speaking? I think Nintendo will be making a huge huge error not allowing it.

From NintendoLife

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/04/round_table_lets_talk_endlessly_about_mario_kart_8_just_because

Damien: Mario Kart TV should be really interesting — as we suspected, it doesn't upload videos but rather the game data from your lap, which can then be viewed on someone else's Wii U console using the in-game engine. I can see that being incredibly popular with players.

Anthony: Makes sense really. It sounds like a good idea, we just need to see it in action. If they had servers that could render your clips to mobiles, tablets and desktop computers, that would be fantastic. You could even have a dedicated viewing app on the 3DS!

Mario Kart TV does sound interesting, but its basically the same as downloading peoples time trial ghosts on MKWii by the sounds of it.

Mario Kart TV does sound interesting, but its basically the same as downloading peoples time trial ghosts on MKWii by the sounds of it.

It sounds like it saves everyone's data, not just one person. Which is pretty much how games like Uncharted and Halo do their replays.

Hopefully it has good fast forward, pause and rewind tools.

It sounds like it saves everyone's data, not just one person. Which is pretty much how games like Uncharted and Halo do their replays.

Hopefully it has good fast forward, pause and rewind tools.

Hopefully this is how it does it across Wii us and for miiverse etc, but hopefully we can save and share our favourite videos and still download the actual videos. Have a horrible feeling it's going to be another huge missed opporutnity.

Sorry prob a stupid question, why the second 'official' MK8 thread?

I think it's for chatting about courses and items and characters etc. and this thread will be for people who don't want everything ruined.

Sorry prob a stupid question, why the second 'official' MK8 thread?

All will be revealed in time.

I hope they do end up allowing you to create actual MPEG 4 videos from replays and then let you upload them. Would be a terrible missed opportunity to have replay sharing being limited to just the game only...

I think it's for chatting about courses and items and characters etc. and this thread will be for people who don't want everything ruined.
That's the idea yeah, nothing will be spoiler tagged in the other thread. And everything that's currently known about the game so far is going to be listed in the opening post. :)

I hope they do end up allowing you to create actual MPEG 4 videos from replays and then let you upload them. Would be a terrible missed opportunity to have replay sharing being limited to just the game only...
Well lots of people will still be able to produce actual videos of MKTV action by using a capture device. :awesome: But yeah, it would be cool if there was some kind of video exporting option for everyone.

My guess is they'll let you upload to YouTube or something like that.

Wait a minute... Just looking on the Nintendo store, you can pre-order this game for £49.99 ( :o ) or pre-order it for £49.99 and get a t-shirt and a red shell keyring?

One day Nintendo may sort out their pricing structure... One day...?

Wait a minute... Just looking on the Nintendo store, you can pre-order this game for £49.99 ( :o ) or pre-order it for £49.99 and get a t-shirt and a red shell keyring?

One day Nintendo may sort out their pricing structure... One day...?

I'd have strongly considered going digital for this if it was about a tenner/fifteen quid cheaper. £35 digital, and I'm there.