NEurope
Ike

Mario Kart 8

I loved Sonic Transformed single player, but anyone wanting Mario Kart to follow its footsteps in mutliplayer are insane. It was so glitchy in multiplayer, the framerate was all over the place and the GamePad screen on that game was like a 188p YouTube video.

It's ashame Mario Kart doesn't offer more than 2 people to go online but honestly, if it means it's not like Sonic Transformed, I'm fined with that. Playing a lot of multiplayer on Transformed actually really put me off the game, which is sad because it can be great. It just had that typical Sonic smear of shit over it, sadly.

I loved Sonic Transformed single player, but anyone wanting Mario Kart to follow its footsteps in mutliplayer are insane. It was so glitchy in multiplayer, the framerate was all over the place and the GamePad screen on that game was like a 188p YouTube video.

It's ashame Mario Kart doesn't offer more than 2 people to go online but honestly, if it means it's not like Sonic Transformed, I'm fined with that. Playing a lot of multiplayer on Transformed actually really put me off the game, which is sad because it can be great. It just had that typical Sonic smear of shit over it, sadly.

It was a mixed bag really. :hmm:

The good:

The bad:

The ugly:

In fairness, Sonic was a third party game that was created for multiple systems and was released on launch day for Wii U. It won't and it shouldn't have the same amount of polish that Mario Kart should have, considering that it's a flagship Nintendo title for their own system.

There may be moments of frustration, but SEGA should still be applauded for having the balls to go in there and do something in the first place. 5 player local multiplayer is a great start, for a launch title. The things that they did right far outweigh the things that they did wrong.

I wouldn't want Mario Kart 8 to be anything like Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed as it's a game I never had any affection for any time I played it. Not my style at all :heh:

I did, however, play Super Mario Kart with my brother last night on his Wii U and had an amazing time. We played a couple of GPs and followed that up with a few battles. Completely awesome and still amazing after all these years :yay: There were plenty of hilarious moments too, including a moment where we had both just picked up items in battle mode and as the items were cycling through, we stopped inches away in front of each other awaiting the lottery of the selection. He got a red shell as I got boo and just before he could fire it off I nicked it off him and he had no time to escape. It was a moment that made me angry about how much Nintendo have ruined the battle mode over the years, with the N64 version being the last great one :hmm:

Anyway, last night made me yearn even more for Mario Kart 8.. I can't wait.. It's gonna be great.. 30th May is the date.....

It was a moment that made me angry about how much Nintendo have ruined the battle mode over the years, with the N64 version being the last great one :hmm:

I hope they've sorted it out for mk8.

I think they included my favourite battle track from the snes version on mk wii, but it just didn't work. The balance of items in the original felt perfect, and playing it again just reaffirms that for me.

Just because Sonic Transformed was a launch game, doesn't excuse the ridiculous amount of bugs in multiplayer. There's ambition, and then there is just helplessly punching above your weight.

But then, that's what SEGA is known for. Reading through that history of Sonic book, pretty much every Sonic game seemed to have these ambitious ideas that were rushed for deadlines and ultimately ended up mediocre.

I can see your point, they did make the effort, but when it's such a half-baked result, you have to wonder whether they should have really given it the green light. As I said, it was so poor at times it really put me off the game, and I know I'm not the only one. Launch title or not, there should still be some quality control, though I guess Sonic isn't exactly known for that nowadays, so why change a long-lasting tradition? :p

Just because Sonic Transformed was a launch game, doesn't excuse the ridiculous amount of bugs in multiplayer. There's ambition, and then there is just helplessly punching above your weight.

But then, that's what SEGA is known for. Reading through that history of Sonic book, pretty much every Sonic game seemed to have these ambitious ideas that were rushed for deadlines and ultimately ended up mediocre.

I can see your point, they did make the effort, but when it's such a half-baked result, you have to wonder whether they should have really given it the green light. As I said, it was so poor at times it really put me off the game, and I know I'm not the only one. Launch title or not, there should still be some quality control, though I guess Sonic isn't exactly known for that nowadays, so why change a long-lasting tradition? :p

Online multiplayer wasn't perfect, but it was still bluddy good in a lot of places. It's not like Nintendo have totally nailed the online aspect with their own games, Brawl (for example) was far, far, faaaar worse online than Transformed was. Mario Kart DS was atrocious online, too. (can't remember too much about Wii as I didn't go online much with it) Like I said, SEGA got more right than they did wrong. For a third party title that didn't/isn't going to get the amount of time that Mario Kart 8 is going to get to refine things, I would say it was a success.

Even then, the singleplayer more than made up for it. Local multiplayer was great. I played a few games with some of the N-E folk and had a great time. So, yes, the online wasn't perfect or 10/10 quality, but in large parts it was pretty damn awesome. If there wasn't a rush to get it out for launch, I'm sure more could have been done to refine it. It's common for launch games not to have the same amount of polish or attention giving to it as games later on in its lifetime. We're getting Mario Kart 8 nearly 2 years after Sonic, so it should be much better.

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

The MK8 OT is up and running! :yay:

icon4.gif Once again, if you're staying spoiler-free you should avoid it for now. There be quite a lot of info in there, and it's only gonna get juicier the closer we get to launch! :heh:

But for those that want all the MK8 they can get, check it out!:

http://n-europe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54431

: peace:

It's strange. I was looking forward to Mario Kart 8 immensely...right up until the Smash Bros. Direct yesterday. All the details, information about characters, weapons, custom move-sets, single player modes, online, etc. Mario Kart actually looks pretty boring in comparison.

Besides the shiny graphics, this is really the same old Mario Kart underneath, isn't it? Not sure how I feel about that.

Besides the shiny graphics, this is really the same old Mario Kart underneath, isn't it? Not sure how I feel about that.

It's funny because I had that exact same thought about Smash Bros. Underneath all the HD visuals and a few new characters, it's exactly the same Smash Bros.

It's funny because I had that exact same thought about Smash Bros. Underneath all the HD visuals and a few new characters, it's exactly the same Smash Bros.

To an extent, you're right. Except that Sakurai has absolutely rammed Smash Bros. with content. The upgrade that Brawl got from Melee is astounding, as way the upgrade from the original Smash Bros to Melee. If you're going to do another edition in a games series, that is how you do it. The amount of stuff you could do or collect in Brawl was perhaps too much at times, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

By comparison, Mario Kart is looking barebones. In comparison to Brawl, Mario Kart Wii was almost the bare minimum.

Wow, this game really does look amazing (and prove a huge leap from GC/Wii to Wii U). I just hope there is some sort of "No Weapons" mode, because I really want to race around the tracks, but can't stand the weapons. It's just not fun for me, racing along then getting stopped by a shell. I just don't get it.

FREE T-Shirt with ShopTo pre-orders :-

Medium.png

Let's hope they don't delay our orders if the pre-order bonus arrives late, like they did with Wind Waker HD ...

Let's hope they don't delay our orders if the pre-order bonus arrives late, like they did with Wind Waker HD ...
Damn. Really hope this doesn't slow 'em down. :nono:

Medium.png

Guarantee I'll get a large again.

Thin guys never catch a break with gaming t-shirts :(

I really like those red shell keyrings you get from the Nintendo shop but I just know that I won't get it on release day so will probably just go with Amazon or something :(

Medium.png

I was considering ordering the game with ShopTo but I'm not particularly fond of the t-shirt, or the message that 'SECOND IS BEST'.. it doesn't really suit my vibe :heh:

Medium.png

Second is best? How very apt. Nice to see that Nintendo are establishing themselves as a part of the console race, again. :p

T-shirt looks nice, but not touching it because of that slogan. Only a loser goes around being proud of being second. :D I want the opposite of that t-shirt, one where the blue shells crushes its enemies.

I want the opposite of that t-shirt, one where the blue shells crushes its enemies.

What we need is a new StarFox game with a Wolf O'Donnell t-shirt saying "You're Good, but I'm better!" :heh:

Second is best? How very apt. Nice to see that Nintendo are establishing themselves as a part of the console race, again. :p

T-shirt looks nice, but not touching it because of that slogan. Only a loser goes around being proud of being second. :D I want the opposite of that t-shirt, one where the blue shells crushes its enemies.

I read it as though it's suggesting it's best sticking in second waiting for the one in first to be hit by the blue shell so then you can take over them and win the race... it's best racing in second, not finishing there.

I read it as though it's suggesting it's best sticking in second waiting for the one in first to be hit by the blue shell so then you can take over them and win the race... it's best racing in second, not finishing there.

O Rly?

I know what it means, brah, I'm just fucking around. I know of the power of the blue shell, from many, many experiences. *shudders*

Still, I want one where the person launches the blue shell, cackles as they over-take the corpse of the person who got blue-shelled, and then take first. Or, I'll take Nando's option. :D

Looks like I'll be going to London next week to have a go on the press demo - anything anyone wants me to look out for in particular?