NEurope
Hero-of-Time

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

Good review, thanks for that. Other scores tend to be about 9 or 10 with a couple of low marks. Shame about the sacrifice with the story, but not much they could do about that with the non-linear progression.

Is the ending suitably epic ? (ie on a par with Spirit Tracks?)

Did the overworlds feel small to you? That's one fear I have, it all looks a little claustrophobic.

I'm also happy to answer any questions now I'm not embargoed :)

Two trains are on the same track a distance 100 km apart heading towards one another, each at a speed of 50 km/h. A fly starting out at the front of one train, flies towards the other at a speed of 75 km/h. Upon reaching the other train, the fly turns around and continues towards the first train. How many kilometers does the fly travel before getting squashed in the collision of the two trains?

Good review, thanks for that. Other scores tend to be about 9 or 10 with a couple of low marks. Shame about the sacrifice with the story, but not much they could do about that with the non-linear progression.

Is the ending suitably epic ? (ie on a par with Spirit Tracks?)

Did the overworlds feel small to you? That's one fear I have, it all looks a little claustrophobic.

Yeah, I really liked the ending. it's quite predictable (but not a cop-out), simple, but effective. That's what disappointed me about the story really, I wanted more of it. It only really surfaces at the beginning, mid-point and end and it'd have been nice if there was a bit more development to it.

And yeah, it is quite small. same size as A Link to the Past, and you can get from top to bottom in a minute or two. Most 2D Zeldas are like that, I guess because they're more arcade-y : with a 3D games you can justify a sprawling map more for its cinematic value, with this, it needs to be constant gameplay as you're confined to a small screen. It'd be nice if they tried a bigger map though, with more maze-like, challenging environments to get through. Saying that, there's still plenty to exploration to do, especially with the Lorule variation on top of Hyrule.

And of course, the quick travel/teleport system makes it too easy to just jump from one side to another.

Two trains are on the same track a distance 100 km apart heading towards one another, each at a speed of 50 km/h. A fly starting out at the front of one train, flies towards the other at a speed of 75 km/h. Upon reaching the other train, the fly turns around and continues towards the first train. How many kilometers does the fly travel before getting squashed in the collision of the two trains?

Haha. YOU SO FUNNY.

75km. The trains will hit after one hour, the fly isn't squashed until the trains collide, therefore the fly travels the same number of miles as it travels per hour.

Is the sense of discovery in the dungeons diminished because you already have the necessary item?

Are there only cutscenes at the beginning, middle and end? Are they any good?

To an extent, I guess. It does feel weird going into a dungeon and not getting a new weapon and discovering how to use it. But the dungeons are very good - all so different and some of them actually a little tricky. But I'd say they're all a bit less item-reliant, which does change things a bit. There is a lot of turning into paintings - it certainly isn't a wasted mechanic.

And yeah - very few cutscenes - if there were any between then I can't remember them. Basically all you get between then is a bit of direction from a guiding character. I guess you could say ALTTP didn't have cutscenes, but that was 22 years ago.

I'm actually quite surprised at it being universally praised by reviewers! Lots of places are hailing the return of non-linear dungeons, but personally, that was my major dislike. I don't know if there's a recommended order, and some were trickier than others, but I felt they sacrificed the potential to gradually increase the difficulty as you progressed as well as the potential for a more detailed plot. Some will love it, especially those who hold ALTTP in high regard and those who feel Zelda has gone stale recently. I'm not sure newer gamers will as much.

As the first 2D Zelda for a long while (an especially long time if you're going back to one made in-house - Oracles and Minish Cap were Capcom) I'd have liked it to taken more influence from the modern games in some aspects, especially storytelling - as it is, it is a brilliant game in the style of A Link to the Past, with new graphics and a few modern touches.

That's not to detract from it - I really enjoyed it! :D Just elaborating on what I thought could have been better :)

Reviews seem real positive with a few lower ones, was expecting this to fall in the 7/8 outta 10 range, so to see it hitting 9s and 10s is great.

I think a lot of the criticism comes from the difficulty and lack of epic plot. Modern Zelda has led people to want more expansive narratives and this game seems to be very old school in that department.

Thanks for taking the time to explain all that, it does seem a very old school in the way it does things. Kind of a bummer there isn't any item discovery in the dungeons. That was always the exciting bit for me.

That destructoid review comes across very badly how he is unhappy its in the same world as a link to the past and isn't the same as a link to the past......it just seems like he went in expecting to hate it because it was a sequel to the perfect zelda

whiny is a good discription of it

Edited by Agent Gibbs
i auto corrected a word and just noticed it made no sense

A couple more random thoughts -

1) It might just be me, but Link seems to walk/move around rather quickly in this. Will be interested to see what others think when they get their hands on it.

2) I really like one particular thing you can do with the

hookshot

in this game.

It feels weird that there won't be joy of opening a treasure chest for a new item. I do however like that death comes with the consequence of lost items....

I understand your lack of story criticism, but it's (literally) the character of it that I'm looking forward to. Seems to be a number of NPCs about who no doubt will each be quirky and stuff, right?

Wow 9.8 from Gametrailers is fantastic! And Gamespot gave it a 9! :o

Gamespot gave it a 9. Wow. Has hell frozen over? I love this game, I'm only sorry I don't own a 3DS.

I understand your lack of story criticism, but it's (literally) the character of it that I'm looking forward to. Seems to be a number of NPCs about who no doubt will each be quirky and stuff, right?

Yeah, I felt there was a good amount of character. It never felt dull or soulless. Of course it doesn't live up to Majora's Mask, but what does!?

Cool Game has shipped my copy of The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds Collectors Edition

Just checked on eBay out of curiosity, people are already buying the pre-order bonus chest for £39.99 on its own... :blank:

I would have happily paid £4 but not £40. :laughing:

Just checked on eBay out of curiosity, people are already buying the pre-order bonus chest for £39.99 on its own... :blank:

I would have happily paid £4 but not £40. :laughing:

That's ridiculous, hate people who do this. It's a pre-order bonus item worth probably no more than £5, it's the same principle with DLC for games. People sell the codes for the price of the game sometimes.

GAME sent an email to my friend today (the chap i'm buying it off) saying it's on it's way/processing. He ordered 2 copies, but ordered the EU version for the pre-order bonus. He's also giving me a code for Links Awakening.

What class do they ship? I stuck with ShopTo hoping for a day or two early, but no word on shipping there yet...

Anyone ordered with TheGameCollection? Found they actually had the cheapest price so far - wasn't sure on their general preorder shipping speed tho(remarkable on my recent w101 purchase however).

Cool Game has started shipping my Limited Edition The Legend of Zelda Nintendo 3DS XL Gold with The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds order