NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Changes and Opinions

Sorry maybe I'm not reading this correctly, but the next Nintendo Direct do you mean there will be an official thread in general gaming board and not Nintendo board?

No problems with that if it is the case, but just a general confirmation.

What about in the instance that we recently witnessed where Rayman goes from being a WiiU exclusive so warranting it's own thread in Nintendo section to being slapped out multi format... would the original thread in WiiU section be moved to General gaming?

a) Yeah we really want to try and make it the boards for discussion based threads so we'd probably look to create Nintendo Directs in there.

b) General Gaming Discussion is for General Discussions about the Industry as a whole as well as Retro Gaming, and anything else about gaming as a hobby, artwork, music etc. etc.

Nintendo Gaming and Other Console are now largely just games board, so the Rayman Legends threads go there.

That make sense?

Edited by Retro_Link

yeah thats cool dude, gets the majority of the community discussing topics rather that 50/50. makes sense!

I like the current layout. The icons for 3DS/Wii U threads works well and I think the members of this board are smart enough to select the icon manually so it'll actually be useful for seeing which console it relates to.

But, I'm not keen on how we're supposed to split our discussions between Nintendo Gaming and General Gaming (plus I think we should drop the 'discussion' from the board title so it matches the others :heh:). I'm guessing in theory it's supposed to put the 'Nintendo can do no wrong' people in the Nintendo Gaming board and everyone else in General Gaming, right? But we have to remember that Nintendo should be compared against their competitors.

But, I'm not keen on how we're supposed to split our discussions between Nintendo Gaming and General Gaming (plus I think we should drop the 'discussion' from the board title so it matches the others :heh:). I'm guessing in theory it's supposed to put the 'Nintendo can do no wrong' people in the Nintendo Gaming board and everyone else in General Gaming, right? But we have to remember that Nintendo should be compared against their competitors.

Actually, it's just to separate specific game discussion from overall business discussion. Separating the community is the opposite of what this change is meant to do.

New icons? :blank:

He's asking for a 16x16 of that Red 3DS logo you used in your mock-up.

He's asking for a 16x16 of that Red 3DS logo you used in your mock-up.
Oh, I see. :hehe:

Here you go:

BPqxBQK.gif

I like the current layout. The icons for 3DS/Wii U threads works well and I think the members of this board are smart enough to select the icon manually so it'll actually be useful for seeing which console it relates to.

- Really Nintendo Gaming is intended to be a board JUST for threads on Wii/WiiU/3DS/DS games and the console themselves.

- General Gaming Discussion is for the discussion topics.

At the moment there a couple of discussion threads left over in Nintendo Gaming i.e...

'When will we get new Wii U games'

'Your Wii U collection Past Present and Future'

... But these are very WiiU game specific.

Maybe they should be moved?...

As we said this is a transition period and we'd like your feedback. :)

Is this just to continue the week of horrific Nintendo news :)

In all honesty, I really really hate it. Mixing the wii, wii u, DS and 3ds together is an abomination and makes it so cluttered, threads will get lost quicker and its makes it way more cumbersome to read. And then other Nintendo news in general gaming forums... I'm sorry,but I think it's awful.

Other things i don't like are bargains being in general, but little things like that if our get used to.

Everyone else seems to like it though so I doubt there could be an uprising.

and makes it so cluttered, threads will get lost quicker and its makes it way more cumbersome to read.
This really isn't the case though, as with the previous Wii U/3DS boards how often did anyone even have to ever venture on to page 2!

I've been out all day and only about 10 threads in this combined board had new posts. The Wii U/3DS activity isn't really all that high as things stand with the consoles.

---

Hardly anyone ever used Retro Gaming or Wii Channels, ever, so we needed change.

Also sometimes there would be random game related threads in General Chit Chat.

Or people wouldn't quite know which board to post a thread in.

---

If people don't like Bargains in General Discussion we can look to move it, but we're trialling it there at the moment as it helps activity in that Board.

The reason for the changes is largely to increase board activity and allow more opportunities for a more unified community.

Edited by Retro_Link

I think it's great. I only ever occasionally ventured onto the Wii/Wii U thread and never bothered with the 3DS thread. This works multo-better.

The general gaming area is a great bridge between Nintendo and the Other Consoles Board.

And the Other Consoles Board remains a bastion of awesomeness.

10/10 - Would use this forum daily.

For the majority I like it.

Not so keen on mixture of 3ds and Wii U though.

I liked the 3ds forum when it was stand alone as I personally think it deserves separation due to their being a slightly different community who venture there.

It's not like it's the Vita for instance where only 3 people have one in the UK and there's next to nothing to talk about with it.

That aside it's quite good. More streamlined. :)

Well, it's only a matter of time until all gaming threads are poured into one forum...

Well, it's only a matter of time until all gaming threads are poured into one forum...
Being a Nintendo forum they'll always be a separation from the other console games.

Is this just to continue the week of horrific Nintendo news :)

In all honesty, I really really hate it. Mixing the wii, wii u, DS and 3ds together is an abomination and makes it so cluttered, threads will get lost quicker and its makes it way more cumbersome to read. And then other Nintendo news in general gaming forums... I'm sorry,but I think it's awful.

Other things i don't like are bargains being in general, but little things like that if our get used to.

Everyone else seems to like it though so I doubt there could be an uprising.

Number of threads per page have increased from 30 to 50 so that's near enough the first pages of both on one thread.

Maybe it's just me, but something like "Early Wind Waker Designs" or "Fire Emblem Thread" would fit much better in the Nintendo Gaming board. There's nothing general about them, they're Nintendo, and are more likely to be missed by someone browsing the forums looking for Nintendo stuff, who may not think that something like that would be in the middle of all the industry discussion in general. Same with Nintendo directs, Hyrule historia, etc.

Maybe it's just me, but something like "Early Wind Waker Designs" or "Fire Emblem Thread" would fit much better in the Nintendo Gaming board. There's nothing general about them, they're Nintendo, and are more likely to be missed by someone browsing the forums looking for Nintendo stuff, who may not think that something like that would be in the middle of all the industry discussion in general. Same with Nintendo directs, Hyrule historia, etc.
Wind Waker stuff would previously have gone in Retro Gaming... General Gaming Discussion still encompasses Retro Gaming, same with Fire Emblem.

People just need to get into the habit of looking for things related to games in general like books, artwork, music etc... all fall under General Gaming Discussions, it makes sense... and it's far better than them being spread out across 3 boards... Gen Chit Chat, Retro (never used), Wii Channels/Virtual Console (never used).

Nintendo Gaming is intended to just be for games that appear on the Wii U/3DS... it is all there in the Board Subheadings.

Do you think a better idea would be to rename the thread to something from Nintendo Gaming?

Edited by Retro_Link

It doesn't really bother me personally as I just click New Posts at the top and see everything anyway, I'm just thinking of those who browse casually and may miss out as they just wanna look at the Nintendo stuff, so will click on Nintendo gaming and potentially miss out on joining in on a great discussion on something about Nintendo that isn't necessarily a newly released game.

I just think if you're gonna call a forum Nintendo Gaming, and have Wii U and 3DS in the same board, why not have all other Nintendo stuff with it too? For me, if it's gonna be that way, it would be better off renaming "Nintendo Gaming" to "Wii U/3DS".

If someone comes looking for a discussion on the latest Nintendo Direct, for speculation on what games may be announced for Wii U and 3DS, surely the place that they would go to first would be the Nintendo Gaming board??

I know the descriptions make clear what you guys have decided should be in each board and you've decided that retro, memorabilia etc. should be in general, but for so much Nintendo stuff to be excluded from something called Nintendo Gaming seems a bit weird to me.

Hmm maybe the name does need a think.

Definitely don't want to put everything Nintendo in Nintendo Gaming because then I think it would start to be a bit cluttered.

Yeah, renaming it something like "Wii U & 3DS Games Discussion" or something could make it clearer?

And a small suggestion: perhaps putting the General Gaming Discussion boards on top (driving home that that's the place everyone should visit)?

I prefer less to more in general. So I appreciate revisions that condense unnecessary sections.

That said, my main thoughts on making a "Nintendo discussion" section are "Well, I guess it's true there's a lot less to talk about nowadays that gets people excited, so I suppose separate sections are unnecessary".

I don't THINK that's what you were really going for, but it was my first thoughts upon seeing the change. It does kind of come across as an implicit concession of that point.

Anyway, you know what I hate doing on gaming forums? Going across a few pages trying to find a thread for an upcoming game that should probably be on the first page. Yes, I could use search. I think we're all lazy though and prefer to just scroll down the first page if possible.

As long as this format doesn't mean relevant upcoming games are constantly being pushed away to other pages, then I guess it's fine. 3DS/WiiU thread icons are an absolute must though.

EDIT: And I see they are implemented already. Only thing is the 3DS one is too small.

I like all the changes so far.

Hopefully it should help with this divide that has slowly arisen, which 9/10 the animosity seems to come from misunderstanding other users subtitle humor/sarcasm, i know the vast majority of people on here can be sarcastic, but some more so than others, and when they previously didn't venture into other boards much when they did, people who weren't familiar with how they posted took it wrong

other times its just been a whole load of bitchin' :p

we all need a big group hug that will solve it, that or lots and lots of alcohol

I'm gonna be honest not a fan of the fact that the 3DS stuff is now bundled in with the Wii U stuff. I can see 3DS threads getting lost amongst it all, home consoles stimulate more conversation I reckon. I doesn't have a Wii U so don't care about that stuff. Granted the logos by the side do help but you don't get those browsing on a phone using the iphone scheme.

I'm a huge fan of these changes, especially the merging of the WiiU and 3DS boards into one collective Nintendo Gaming Area. The problem beforehand is that you have 2 boards that are about half full, the 3DS board was busier than the WiiU one, but on the whole both boards weren't really thriving.

Going back to the Cube-Europe days, it's sometimes better to have less. It's better to split things up when the areas are much busier, using sub-forums and the like, but it wouldn't work at this present moment in time. It hasn't worked. So, rather than having 2 areas that do have a handful of regular visitors, it makes much more sense to me to merge them into one.

It's quite common on many forums to have threads that slip to page 2 and 3 and still be active. Beforehand, at this place, you would have threads that were last posted in about a week previously that were still on the front page. Yes, the odd thread might slip to page two that is still active, but if it's generating discussion and is an exciting thread to post in, then surely it won't slip? We need to get out of this mindset that anything past page 1 is old and forgotten. If we can do that, then we'll see many more threads.

Lastly, this is a new era for this place. What keeps this place going are the visitors and posters. We need more. If you want to be able to separate the boards up, we need the posters to make this worthwhile. Spread the word, let this place grow and it will thrive.

Although I'm a fan of having the Wii U and 3DS forums merged I still don't like having General Gaming Discussion. It feels like the content of the Other Consoles forum should be included in it too.

I'm guessing at the moment the forums are supposed to be read as

Nintendo Gaming -> specific game threads

General Gaming Discussion -> general nintendo discussion threads

Other Consoles -> general/specific game discussion for other consoles

Right?

Although I'm a fan of having the Wii U and 3DS forums merged I still don't like having General Gaming Discussion. It feels like the content of the Other Consoles forum should be included in it too.

I'm guessing at the moment the forums are supposed to be read as

Nintendo Gaming -> specific game threads

General Gaming Discussion -> general nintendo discussion threads

Other Consoles -> general/specific game discussion for other consoles

Right?

Close it is more like

Nintendo Gaming -> specific game and console specific threads

General Gaming Discussion -> general Gaming Industry news/discussion threads

Other Consoles -> specific game and console discussion for other consoles