NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Changes and Opinions

Oh that's what the 'N' in N-Europe stands for! I did wonder.

It makes no difference to me since i only view the forum by 'new posts' and therefore miss what subforums they're posted in.

Oh that's what the 'N' in N-Europe stands for! I did wonder.

That's a joke right? :heh:

I'm a huge fan of these changes, especially the merging of the WiiU and 3DS boards into one collective Nintendo Gaming Area. The problem beforehand is that you have 2 boards that are about half full, the 3DS board was busier than the WiiU one, but on the whole both boards weren't really thriving.

It's quite common on many forums to have threads that slip to page 2 and 3 and still be active. Beforehand, at this place, you would have threads that were last posted in about a week previously that were still on the front page. Yes, the odd thread might slip to page two that is still active, but if it's generating discussion and is an exciting thread to post in, then surely it won't slip? We need to get out of this mindset that anything past page 1 is old and forgotten. If we can do that, then we'll see many more threads.

I both agree/disagree with your arguments for the case of merging. I certainly think my reasons are purely selfish. I don't post on here any where near as often as I used to and having just got a 3DS I was posting more in there and don't have the time to sift/search because a thread has been buried by Wii U posts. Again I feel it's a shame that Retro got merged into General Gaming (as far as I know) as those threads don't get many posts but are good to read through etc... on a whim but now are going to get buried amongst industry news/issues.

I certainly like General Gaming and hope it brings the two disparate sections of this community together to talk about issues that affect all. For example the THQ stuff was pretty big news and had a thread in the Other Consoles board but I have no idea if there was one in the Wii U boards but it certainly is something that affects all.

That's a joke right? :heh:

I never joke about things of great import.

I both agree/disagree with your arguments for the case of merging. I certainly think my reasons are purely selfish. I don't post on here any where near as often as I used to and having just got a 3DS I was posting more in there and don't have the time to sift/search because a thread has been buried by Wii U posts. Again I feel it's a shame that Retro got merged into General Gaming (as far as I know) as those threads don't get many posts but are good to read through etc... on a whim but now are going to get buried amongst industry news/issues.

I certainly like General Gaming and hope it brings the two disparate sections of this community together to talk about issues that affect all. For example the THQ stuff was pretty big news and had a thread in the Other Consoles board but I have no idea if there was one in the Wii U boards but it certainly is something that affects all.

Exactly, there was too much of a separation, and people seemed to think that general industry news had more of a place in the Other Consoles thread or General Chit Chat when that really shouldn't be the case, especially on a Nintendo forum. That's rectified now.

Regarding Retro Gaming, it's not good for the forum to have 'museum like threads' that people just read occasionally and don't contribute too. If there are some great Retro games in there then discuss them people! :p

I share similar sentiments to Flink, and I'm really really happy to see this as I've wanted a condensing for a while. I've seen one forum I loved half-die a death from too many forums thinning out activity, with the forums essentially being too large for the size of the actual community. I've encountered others in a similar predicament, and not felt like I'd want to post there much because there's too many forums to keep up with.

Flink's right about page 2 onwards too. When I was on my first forums back even in the dial up days(gamewinners.com forums ftr), some would be active through to page 3 or 4! It is a strange mentality here. The other major reason I'm a fan of condensing is the fact that, whilst some have a gripe with it, you end up accidentally seeing threads you wouldn't have otherwise - yet they might actually interest you. It also helps a community form as a whole, as you don't/can't end up avoiding specific forums(and thus sometimes people) because your interests are in the same one, if that makes sense?

Of course, there might still be issues with the new format; but we won't know until we actually give it a bit of time then work around them from there. I can understand the issues raised, but I think potential benefits will outweight that massively. I've wanted this for ages and I'm chuffed it's finally happened.

I like everything regarding the shuffle apart from the messiness of the wii u and 3ds threads in one forum when they should be seperate , sorry to complain I really love this website and am proud to be member .

Oh, I see. :hehe:

Here you go:

BPqxBQK.gif

So did RedShell create this icon for nothing or what? :p

I'd like to remind the admins that it would be very helpful if the thread 'Nintendo Development List' were to become a sticky.

I'd like to remind the admins that it would be very helpful if the thread 'Nintendo Development List' were to become a sticky.
You mean Mods? :p

I don't really think it would be used enough to be a sticky?... it would just sit there unused the vast majority of the time?

You mean Mods? :p

I don't really think it would be used enough to be a sticky?... it would just sit there unused the vast majority of the time?

Yeah, moderators. Sorry about that :laughing:

Well, I think it should have some special place and should be frequently updated. It's just extremely useful to see which developers are working on what and which developers haven't revealed anything of their next project yet.

I like everything regarding the shuffle apart from the messiness of the wii u and 3ds threads in one forum when they should be seperate , sorry to complain I really love this website and am proud to be member .

It'll take some getting used to. But, unless things really go topsy turvy and it doesn't work, then it's here to stay, I'm afraid.

Just looking at the Nintendo Gaming board today, it's refreshing to see it alive and bustling with new threads and replies. If the boards were separate, you would have two boards that were pretty quiet, which is what has been happening for too long now. Even on this board with things being busier, we still have threads on the first page that haven't had replies in them since Monday.

This isn't really the type of place where threads are going to get lost quickly. If you can't find something, use the search function. Even then, unless the thread you are looking for is months old, it won't have dropped too far. I visit some forums where the first 5 or 6 pages have last posts from today, on a daily basis. Now THAT is busy and that is where you need to have separation, to organise things. At the moment, it can't really be justified. Why separate two boards when you can have one board which brings both communities together and looks more alive?

If the forum does grow in size and popularity, then we won't hesitate to change things again, to improve them and to make things better. Give this new look a try and you'll soon get used to it and love it.

Isn't that the point of it being stickied, though? Threads like "General Wii U Discussion" are going to see a lot of discussion anyway, so they'd be always visible, even if they weren't stickied. So, their "officialness" is why they're sticky.

In the "Nintendo Development List", the point is to have a list for everyone to see, even when there's nothing to contribute. In that case, the thread needs the sticky to remain visible, otherwise there's no point.

Yeah, moderators. Sorry about that :laughing:

Well, I think it should have some special place and should be frequently updated. It's just extremely useful to see which developers are working on what and which developers haven't revealed anything of their next project yet.

I've just updated it!

Isn't that the point of it being stickied, though? Threads like "General Wii U Discussion" are going to see a lot of discussion anyway, so they'd be always visible, even if they weren't stickied. So, their "officialness" is why they're sticky.

In the "Nintendo Development List", the point is to have a list for everyone to see, even when there's nothing to contribute. In that case, the thread needs the sticky to remain visible, otherwise there's no point.

I don't think it sends a very good message to have un-active threads as the first thing people see when they enter into the board.

I see stickies as being there to highlight the key go-to threads (or important messages).

I don't think it sends a very good message to have un-active threads as the first thing people see when they enter into the board.

I see stickies as being there to highlight the key go-to threads (or important messages).

But seeing what NINTENDO's empire is upto is in-cre-di-bly important!

If anything the thread could also definitely serve as a thread for all kinds of speculation.

Edited by Fused King

Is there a way threads can sit across forums - so multi format games have just one thread but a thread which appears in "other" gaming and "Nintendo" gaming.

Hahaha, one thread per game. Don't be ridiculous.

Sorry, that sounded really rude, but I wasn't making fun of you.

Everything should be kept in Nintendo gaming, all i was suggesting is that we have a sub forum for wii u and 3ds. The thread is over populated with both systems.

@yesteryeargames if Wii U and 3DS were sub-boards what would the main board be?... Also wouldn't them just be the same as them being separate forums.

When I clicked on Nintendo Gaming this morning, even with the two boards combined there were only about 5-6 threads with new posts in for me... that's really not overpopulated!

Would it be wise to have an indie-game-WiiU-section?

There's tons of 'em and it would be helpful to discuss them in one place instead of some of them getting threads and others being haphazardly discussed in the eShop thread.

There's no reason that indie/eShop games can't have their own thread if you think it's popular enough.

I was thinking more along the lines of a 'section', because practically everyday new indie-games get confirmed for WiiU.

They're pretty much scattered all over this board, which is a shame.

One thread for indie-games wouldn't really work, because we also don't exactly discuss multiple games in one thread now do we?

I was thinking more along the lines of a 'section', because practically everyday new indie-games get confirmed for WiiU.

They're pretty much scattered all over this board, which is a shame.

One thread for indie-games wouldn't really work, because we also don't exactly discuss multiple games in one thread now do we?

Can you give some examples Fused of the games you're talking about?...

eShop games can be discussed in the eShop thread or have their own thread.

I've also recently started a thread for discussing various kickstarter projects in General Gaming, as these span across all console/gaming devices and may or may not get released depending on how they do.

Likewise feel free to start threads for individual kickstarter projects in General Gaming.

What Indie games aren't being covered?

I guess the games I'm referring to could be discussed in their respective eShop threads, it's just that I think it would be quite useful to have a board where indie-games have their own threads instead of some of them getting their own threads and others get discussed in the eShop sections.

8 Bit Boy (Awesomeblade Software)

Aban Hawkins & the 1001 Spikes (Nicalis)

Anima: Gate of Memories (Anima Project Studio)

Armillo (Fuzzy Wuzzy Games)

Biker Bash (Slightly Mad Studios)

Cloudberry Kingdom (Pwnee Studios)

Cosmic Highway (Maestro Interactive Games)

Cryamore (NostalgiCO)

Days of Dawn (Bumblebee Games)

Dusty Raging Fist (PD Design Studio)

Fade into Darkness (Maestro Interactive Games)

Mutant Mudds Deluxe (Renegade Kid)

Noctemis (Lacuna Entertainment)

Oliver and Spike: Dimension Jumpers (Rock Pocket Games)

Pier Solar and the Great Architects HD (Watermelon Co.)

Pokemon Scramble U (Nintendo)

Project Y2K (Ackkstudios)

Scram Kitty and his Buddy on Rails (Dakko Dakko)

Spin the Bottle (KnapNok Games)

Star Beast: The Stellar War (Pixel Entertainment)

Super Ubi Land (Notion Games)

The Pinball Arcade (Farsight Studios)

The 90′s Arcade Racer (Nicalis)

Toki Tori 2 (Two Tribes)

Two Brothers (Ackkstudios)

Unepic (Enjoy Up Games)

Zen Pinball 2 (Zen Studios)

What with the fact that more and more indie-games keep making their way to WiiU and the 3DS, I'd say this could warrant a distinction on the forum between full-fledged games which get retail versions and games of the indie kind.

But maybe I'm complicating things here :laughing: