NEurope
darkjak

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Wii U / Switch

Looks like NWR have heard similar things. Please be true!

Where'd you hear that?

So? What does it being in Hylian rather than English have to do with that?

Because gibberish is really not much different than having no voice acting. Perhaps Nintendo can include an "off" option for people who don't want it.

There are plenty of examples of quality voice acting in video games now. It's no longer the days of Resident Evil with the hammy acting. Professional voice actors and good direction could make this something really special. If it all goes wrong then they've got no one to blame but themselves, given that many others have pulled it off successfully.

Even Nintendo have had a game with voice acting done extremely well: Kid Icarus Uprising.

Where'd you hear that?

Gaf. A guy from NWR tweeted it.

@Cube. Indeed. A prime example of great voice work when the product is respected and thought about. The tone of the script and execution of the acting were fantastic

I still think they should get Keifer Sutherland for Link

We're more likely to get Justin Bieber.

Although speaking of voice acting, I can fully get behind the campaign for Danny DeVito to voice detective Pikachu.

We're more likely to get Justin Bieber.

Although speaking of voice acting, I can fully get behind the campaign for Danny DeVito to voice detective Pikachu.

His reply to that campaign was hilarious. :D

Do you think we'll get the option to choose between Link and Zelda, or will it be a choice between Link and Linkle? I think the latter would be better, that leaves the chance for the story to stay the same whether or not you play as a male or female character. I can't see Nintendo offering multiple storylines, and with Zelda i'd prefer that they didn't.

The lack of voice acting in Zelda isn't something that's bothered me too much in the past, but like others have said voice acting in games has improved in leaps and bounds over the last few years and it can only help to create a more immersive world. The only thing that worries me is that this is Nintendo's first foray into open-world Zelda and the first Zelda game with voice acting, it's a lot of thing to go wrong.

I think it's been confirmed that isn't Emily Rogers... Some people are very very strange...

As someone who loves anime and foreign films, subtitles don't bother me in the slightest and I certainly don't think it loses anything at all if it's in a language I don't understand. I still connect to characters just as much as I do with languages I do understand.

If they did voice acting in Hylian with subtitles I think I'd prefer that as it gives some authenticity to the world. If it was English voice acting I think I'd feel that it loses the feel that the land is Hyrule.

Edited by Kav

I'm sort of on the fence but I tend to agree with with kav, I think I'd prefer either no voice acting or Hylian/gibberish voice acting.

As someone who loves anime and foreign films, subtitles don't bother me in the slightest and I certainly don't think it loses anything at all if it's in a language I don't understand. I still connect to characters just as much as I do with languages I do understand.

If they did voice acting in Hylian with subtitles I think I'd prefer that as it gives some authenticity to the world. If it was English voice acting I think I'd loses the feel that the land is Hyrule.

English voices were used in Hyrule Warriors and it didn't take anything from the game, in fact I'd argue it added something to the story that was being told.

Meh, voice acting in Zelda isn't new! ;)

Let's not forget about BS Zelda, where you had a narrator telling the backstory throughout your game experience.

If they did voice acting in Hylian with subtitles I think I'd prefer that as it gives some authenticity to the world. If it was English voice acting I think I'd feel that it loses the feel that the land is Hyrule.

Well, let me put it like this: did you feel a lack of authenticity in the Lord of the Rings movies?

Put me in the "Would be nice to hear Hylian language" camp. Games like Shadow of the Colossus did this pretty well, and Zelda is already partially there, anyway (what with the mumblings from Fi and Midna).

A lack of voice acting has never really upset me, but adding it wouldn't upset me either! So what ever they do I doubt it will alter my enjoyment of the game.

Kid Icarus Uprising may be one example (I've never played it, but from the trailers I don't remember it being anything special), but voice overs aren't what Nintendo do, it's something they've never focused on. I'm not sure I'd trust them to get it right.

Other M anyone!?... Mario Sunshine!!?... more often than not they get it wrong/go cheap/goofy.

Zelda is Nintendo's flagship title, it'd be a big risk. Screw it up and they've ruined years of hard work.

I struggle to envisage what accent a Goron/Zora would have. I mean I guess you have LotR's getting it right with Elves, Ents, Orks... but you also need to know which races to keep to their own dialect and have subtitles.

Kid Icarus Uprising may be one example (I've never played it, but from the trailers I don't remember it being anything special), but voice overs aren't what Nintendo do, it's something they've never focused on. I'm not sure I'd trust them to get it right.

Other M anyone!?... Mario Sunshine!!?... more often than not they get it wrong/go cheap/goofy.

Zelda is Nintendo's flagship title, it'd be a big risk. Screw it up and they've ruined years of hard work.

I struggle to envisage what accent a Goron/Zora would have. I mean I guess you have LotR's getting it right with Elves, Ents, Orks... but you also need to know which races to keep to their own dialect and have subtitles.

Other M wasn't made by Nintendo and Mario Sunshine is a 15 year old game.

It's not exactly like Nintendo's broke, nor is it as if they'd be breaking new ground here. If they're not confident, they can employ people who are good and have experience. Hell, they could hire people from Kojima Productions, considering Konami are probably scaring all the senior staff away.

This whole "Nintendo don't have experience in X, thus they shouldn't do it" idea is complete BS. Voice acting is in every major title coming out nowadays, making every game without voice acting feel cheap and dated. If Nintendo are scared, they can gain experience from lesser important games. Like Federation Force. Or their next sidescroller.

KI:U is excellent, but the control scheme is a nightmare. You do eventually get used to it and become an expert...but it's still uncomfortable. The VA is hilarious and really good. But I couldn't see its type working for Zelda.

That bit made me laugh!!

It is actually quite a special game, the controls are decisive but the game itself is great. And the voice acting is excellent.

I don't know how we can judge Nintendo so much when we don't really have examples of it. Although they don't have voice acting, most of their games have extensive character work - even In zelda. Which is sort of more what you're talking about, I think we do get a sense of what Gorons sound like, and Zoras etc And tingle.... And the fish from wind waker etc etc It's the scripts and acting they need to worry about, but what they've showed us, I don't think it's anything to worry about.

That bit made me laugh!!
I was talking about the voice acting - as per the conversation.

The trailers were very voice over heavy, so I feel I have a sense of what they did in it, despite not having heard the entire game.

Tbh I'd probably rather Nintendo just went for it with everyone actually, it's about time, and done well could bring a whole new audience to the game.

That bit made me laugh!!

It is actually quite a special game, the controls are decisive but the game itself is great. And the voice acting is excellent.

I don't know how we can judge Nintendo so much when we don't really have examples of it. Although they don't have voice acting, most of their games have extensive character work - even In zelda. Which is sort of more what you're talking about, I think we do get a sense of what Gorons sound like, and Zoras etc And tingle.... And the fish from wind waker etc etc It's the scripts and acting they need to worry about, but what they've showed us, I don't think it's anything to worry about.

When ever I think of Zelda gamesI actually can hear their voices and till someone mentions that there are actually no voices, I actually forget about it :D.

The trailers were very voice over heavy, so I feel I have a sense of what they did in it, despite not having heard the entire game.

Tbh I'd probably rather Nintendo just went for it with everyone actually, it's about time, and done well could bring a whole new audience to the game.

Ah I see, my apologies. If you have Smash Bros the Palutena guidance are pretty much the same thing actually.

I personally think it's great, though it's quite a specific tone, so some could find it annoying.

Just a quick note: the voice acting in Uprising is much better than in Smash Bros 4. Palutena's voice actress is way more playful.

Rather than going by the trailers, I would suggest watching an Uprising level being played. The banter between Pit&Palutena works pretty well.

To be completely honest, I will always rate the OOT/MM 3D art style as classic and the easier path to follow - save the cartoony/water colours/experimentals for the handheld version.

Not that I'm drugged on OOT nostalgia but all this reinvention for every new Zelda game on handheld is a bit unnecessary and the OOT/MM art style will always be timeless and have mass appeal.,,

I know that Pit himself has a different voice actor than the early trailers so you should check it out, it's really great.

I think it's nothing to worry about though, just get an outsider to collaborate with if they're not confident enough in themselves.