NEurope
darkjak

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Wii U / Switch

I would also love a chance to play SS without the motion controls. I disliked waggling so much I didn't even finish it. That and that game was a little boring in places.

See, I don't get this. I thought the controls were incredible in SS.

But many, including myself didn't hence...

Miyamoto:

"With the last game, Skyward Sword, that was a game where you had motion control to use your weapons and a lot of different items," explained the creator of the series. "And I thought that was a lot of fun, but there were some people who weren’t able to do that or didn’t like it as much and stopped playing partway through it. So we’re in the phase where we’re looking back at what’s worked very well and what has been missing and how can we evolve it further."

While I did finish the game, I didn't really enjoy it and have no desire to play through it again due to the control scheme.

But many, including myself didn't hence...

While I did finish the game, I didn't really enjoy it and have no desire to play through it again due to the control scheme.

Strange how they divided opinion so much, though I do remember that horrible E3 press conference when they didn't work for Shigsy :grin:. If they do rework the controls, I hope they give us the choice at least to play it with motion plus.

A Skyward Sword remaster!

Only if it involves redoing most of the level design and changing the enemies to make the motion controls a pleasure, rather than a chore.

I feel like this will end up disappointing many, such a long development can only build up expectations to an unreasonable level.

I'm also tempted to think they should just scrap its Wii U version if it is launching at the same time as a NX version, even though that would be a big middle finger to everyone who has bought a Wii U and has no intention of getting an NX.

What a mess they've got themselves into here. And will we get another 3D Zelda before the dying days of NX? Zelda shouldn't be a swansong and even developed to bridge generations. It should have a prime release in the early/middle stages of a console's life.

I look back on Skyward Sword very fondly. I love that it did something very different and shook up the Zelda experience. For that reason I adored the game. I think if it had been another Twilight Princess I'd have been pretty gutted.

Likewise, it's a huge relief that the next Zelda looks to be a different experience too.

Delay the game as long as you want to make the game as good as it can be. However, this latest delay is blatantly to tie it in with NX/up-res it for NX/add NX features. Which is fine. It would be better if it had been built from the ground up as an NX launch title, but maybe you won't be able to tell it hasn't.

Nail Zelda, and you've got an NX purchase Nintendo.

The line about Zelda being the only game playable at E3 to fully immerse people on the world... no Nintendo, it's because that's the only game outside of Mario and Sonic get Down at Dirty at the Rio Carnival that you have.

You know, if they release a Zelda demo at the same time as they show it on the E3 floor, I might just forgive them.

You know, if they release a Zelda demo at the same time as they show it on the E3 floor, I might just forgive them.

I wouldn't want a demo :red: I want the first time I experience the game to be when it finally gets released!

This. Only this. Haha

I don't know if a Zelda demo would really work. From what I recall of the E3 build of Skyward Sword it was just three small segments to showcase specific things (mostly the motion controls). They could do similar (a battle segment, a horse riding segment, an exploration segment) but nine months before the game is due out? Could miss the boat on any buzz it would build as it would die down during that time.

Or to put it another way "that was fun...now just to wait nine months".

Edited by Ashley
forgot to specify I was talking about SS

The 9 month delay is there irrespective of what they show at E3. I would get the same feeling from reading impressions and watching videos. If we had a demo it might in some way help you to feel like you were actually there, and it would toss the fans a bone.

Yeah, one of those cases were a demo would be great because we all want a taste, but in the long run it's better to just have it when it;s ready!!

Nintendo really are testing the patience of its fans - not much to release in 2 years, no information on the next console... They're brave I'll give them that, but no point rushing anything, it has to be right. I doubt they WANT to delay this and zelda to march, obviously end of the year would be ideal, but there must be a reason.

The 9 month delay is there irrespective of what they show at E3. I would get the same feeling from reading impressions and watching videos. If we had a demo it might in some way help you to feel like you were actually there, and it would toss the fans a bone.

Yeah different ways of looking at it I suppose - I was thinking of it as a sales device for the game but yes that's a fair point about it essentially just being a PR stunt.

I feel like this will end up disappointing many, such a long development can only build up expectations to an unreasonable level.

I'm also tempted to think they should just scrap its Wii U version if it is launching at the same time as a NX version, even though that would be a big middle finger to everyone who has bought a Wii U and has no intention of getting an NX.

What a mess they've got themselves into here. And will we get another 3D Zelda before the dying days of NX? Zelda shouldn't be a swansong and even developed to bridge generations. It should have a prime release in the early/middle stages of a console's life.

I think you're wrong. Nintendos reputation is down the toilet and the absolute last thing they should do is to scrap the Wii U version. Nintendo have to understand that the Wii U owners are the most likely early adopters of the NX and if Nintendo piss them off, the NX might do even worse than the WiiU.

In fact, I think Nintendo should launch Zelda U for the Wii U as soon as it's finished, preferably before E3. Then they should take their time until March or even later to make a visually supperior version.

I don't want it to be a Twilight Princess situation, where both versions are identical apart from maybe at best different resolutions and framerates.

I think you're wrong. Nintendos reputation is down the toilet and the absolute last thing they should do is to scrap the Wii U version. Nintendo have to understand that the Wii U owners are the most likely early adopters of the NX and if Nintendo piss them off, the NX might do even worse than the WiiU.

In fact, I think Nintendo should launch Zelda U for the Wii U as soon as it's finished, preferably before E3. Then they should take their time until March or even later to make a visually supperior version.

I don't want it to be a Twilight Princess situation, where both versions are identical apart from maybe at best different resolutions and framerates.

I think you're going to be disappointed there then - they will probably both be pretty identical as it's clear that they moved to dual Wii U/NX development for this a while ago. There's no chance of a Wii U version coming sooner, as great as that'd be.

Skyward Sword HD Remake? *shudder*

There are far too many critical problems with the game outside of the motion controls. It wasn't the frustrating motion controls which made SS the only Zelda I couldn't be bothered to complete but the REPETITIVE nature of everything in the game. (I stopped at battling that toe 'Denise' monster for the third time).

This news doesn't fill me with the optimistic feeling of thinking Nintendo have things back in order.

I'm guessing part of the delay is to do with the new style visuals they have to work on from scratch - why not just have definitive Zelda art style like Mario? OOT and MM were perfect in conveying the Zelda world - why not just work off of that? Why constantly have new visuals for every entry of a series? I was perfectly happy with OOT and MM, and they were both expressively distinct and different.

I don't know if a Zelda demo would really work. From what I recall of the E3 build of Skyward Sword it was just three small segments to showcase specific things (mostly the motion controls). They could do similar (a battle segment, a horse riding segment, an exploration segment) but nine months before the game is due out? Could miss the boat on any buzz it would build as it would die down during that time.

Or to put it another way "that was fun...now just to wait nine months".

If my guess is right and they do go ahead and release the E3 demos of their upcoming Wii U titles on the eShop during E3, I bet they'll put out demos for everything except Zelda. Gives the journos at E3 an exclusive and makes the tease all that much more of a tease to us here at home.

If my guess is right and they do go ahead and release the E3 demos of their upcoming Wii U titles on the eShop during E3, I bet they'll put out demos for everything except Zelda. Gives the journos at E3 an exclusive and makes the tease all that much more of a tease to us here at home.

Can't fault that logic, especially after the success of Nindies@home last year. Can see them making the majority of games playable... to everyone. Except Zelda, obviously. Would definitely be a good way to approach E3.

I think you're going to be disappointed there then - they will probably both be pretty identical as it's clear that they moved to dual Wii U/NX development for this a while ago. There's no chance of a Wii U version coming sooner, as great as that'd be.

I know it's unlikely. I mean, doing what I just wrote would make sense and be appealing to the mass market. And we just can't have that, can we?

WHAT upcoming Wii U titles?

Nintendo announce precisely nada last year. Zelda U and Starfox were the only good remaining titles for the system and those were released at E3 2014. What good stuff can they possibly announce that wouldn't be better off being released for the NX?

Nintendo announce precisely nada last year. Zelda U and Starfox were the only good remaining titles for the system and those were released at E3 2014. What good stuff can they possibly announce that wouldn't be better off being released for the NX?

Exactamundo! What the hell are they doing?!

The only thing I can think is that Zelda is the only hands-on title but they'll be showing NX game trailers, but not the system itself.

They'll want you to play these games hands-on so you "get" them and NX isn't quite ready for hands-on.

So they'll throw their own event when the NX and these games are ready for a hands-on, roughly toward the end of the year.

The hands-on and full details of the NX will build the hype for release.

I hope.

The delay just indicates that Nintendo are done with the Wii U. Their sales forecast for the console is that they'll only sell 800,000 units this financial year, so I don't think the Zelda delay is down to the quality of the game - they clearly just feel that they're going its not going to be a system seller on the Wii U so it makes business sense for the NX version to release at the same time, ensuring that it can be a system sell on the NX. I just hope that the games prominence at E3 means they don't go overboard and spoil everything like they have done in the past.

It's going to feel so weird getting a new Zelda game in March instead of November.

The delay just indicates that Nintendo are done with the Wii U. Their sales forecast for the console is that they'll only sell 800,000 units this financial year, so I don't think the Zelda delay is down to the quality of the game - they clearly just feel that they're going its not going to be a system seller on the Wii U so it makes business sense for the NX version to release at the same time, ensuring that it can be a system sell on the NX. I just hope that the games prominence at E3 means they don't go overboard and spoil everything like they have done in the past.

It's going to feel so weird getting a new Zelda game in March instead of November.

That's my big issue with this plan. They will be giving attention to a single game for the whole of E3. I would have been happy with a 2-3 min trailer and leave it at that. As it stands I imagine a lot of stuff will be spoiled by doing it this way. Saying that, in recent times Nintendo have had a habit of spoiling stuff in their own trailers, so even a trailer wouldn't have been safe. :D

Told you before. There's Paper Mario Colour Splash, Pikmin 4 and probably Retro's new game. A new Animal Crossing game for Wii U also looks likely, going by the press release for the mobile AC game.

I think we need to wait and see what they have to show before saying they have nothing to show. Paper Mario CS came out of absolutely nowhere just a few weeks ago after all!

In fact, the penultimate year of a Nintendo console's life (2004-2005, 2010-2011 etc) is usually its best; so seemingly this is the Wii U's equivalent :)

Edited by Dcubed