NEurope
darkjak

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Wii U / Switch

I agree with the legacy issue, but knowing Nintendo, this will probably be a TP issue.

The new console is probably due by 2017 - and I don't really see this Zelda being completed by 2016. (I feel as time goes by with delays, more ideas want to be implemented and new tech advances added)

And unlike TP and SS, there is no real mechanical gimmick with this Zelda besides the Gamepad map features - which in my eyes makes it very compatible with a traditional, non-waggle-centric, console.

Certainly, the Wii U is capable - but its still not a system I would want the 'ultimate' Zelda to be on.

Little things (for me), like having no real Dolby surround/digital sound and adding Gamepad-specfic things in JUST to add it in. For me, its what makes games like OOT, MM and now WW so timeless and seamless to play.

You do realise that LPCM is actually the highest quality sound you can get right? It actually kicks the crap out of Dolby Digital! (LPCM is pure uncompressed "master" quality audio, while Dolby Digital is a heavily compressed format - in fact, DD is made by downconverting from an original LPCM source) You really need to get a modern HDMI Receiver! I would never want to go back to DD after hearing proper uncompressed 5.1 LPCM!

Edited by Dcubed

It's stuff like this which makes me hold off investing on Nintendo's stuff day one. Because they keep pulling a semi-Molyneux and promising things and ultimately not delivering.

You do realise that LPCM is actually the highest quality sound you can get right? It actually kicks the crap out of Dolby Digital! (LPCM is pure uncompressed "master" quality audio, while Dolby Digital is a heavily compressed format - in fact, DD is made by downconverting from an original LPCM source) You really need to get a modern HDMI Receiver! I would never want to go back to DD after hearing proper uncompressed 5.1 LPCM!

Really? First I've heard of this - will research.

I'm not sure what I should think.

As a fan of the franchise, I think that it's good that Nintendo are trying to make a truly modern, up to date Zelda which can truly compete with what the rest of the industry has to offer.

On the other side, the Wii U's lineup for this year is nothing short of awful. Removing Zelda makes it a disaster.

I'm not sure what I should think.

As a fan of the franchise, I think that it's good that Nintendo are trying to make a truly modern, up to date Zelda which can truly compete with what the rest of the industry has to offer.

On the other side, the Wii U's lineup for this year is nothing short of awful. Removing Zelda makes it a disaster.

Talk to me June 16th and let me know if it's still awful then ;)

Patched that for you

I think that might prove my point more than yours.

Edited by Ashley

Talk to me June 16th and let me know if it's still awful then ;)

I want that to happen as much as anybody here. But I doubt Nintendo will announce any major software for this year during E3. If they have any surprises, we'll see that during an upcoming Nintendo Direct. And besides, to give the Wii U a decent lineup for this autumn and winter alone, they'll need to announce ten games, not one replacement for Zelda.

Naw, E3 will see announcements for 2016. Maybe another 2D sidescroller, minigame compilation or something like that free to play Steel Diver title.

Really? First I've heard of this - will research.

Yeah, basically any modern Receiver will support it.

It requires HDMI (it will not work at all over Optical) and it is the very highest quality sound format there is (all Blurays support either 5.1 LPCM or a lossless equivalent like DTS Master Audio).

All Wii U games only support either 2.1 LPCM or 5.1 LPCM and nothing else. 5.1 LPCM support for Wii U games is mandatory (though a few games have a weird sound mix where they only use the front speakers, like NSMBU, despite actually outputting 5.1 LPCM - probably cause they thought "oh it's a side scroller so we shouldn't have sound coming from behind the player" )

It is well worth investing into it if you really care about the sound quality! I tried out the PS3 version of Resident Evil Revelations (which is DD only) and compared it to the Wii U one and the difference was night and day! : peace:

Not to mention that your Blurays will thank you ;)

Edited by Dcubed

That Miyamoto quote really doesn't hold as much ground as it used to.

I think it certainly does. DLC and patches can't fix a bad game.

Certainly, the Wii U is capable - but its still not a system I would want the 'ultimate' Zelda to be on.

I see where you're coming from here. Personally, the Wii U's graphical capabilities have wowed me far more than I expected.

But for me, the ultimate console would be one where I could play via a tradition pad with analogue triggers (not that Zelda has ever used them, but still...), which I could plug in via USB. The console would also give me the option to turn off the internet connection if I wanted to.

Alternatively, I'd absolutely love to play the ultimate Zelda on a handheld, considering how good handhelds are getting. But it would have to be a handheld that gave the user as many options as the 3DS, rather than the Wii U's "do it my way" approach.

The gamepad is fine. It controls well, it has everything, only thing it's lacking is analogue triggers. It's good for people with large hands. I know it's not quite the same but I remember playing the GBA SP and the hand cramp was unreal. I only use the Wii U Pro controller when things get intense and I fear I'll damage the gamepad. Which would bring up another topic.

Depends what definition of bad you use - bad to play or badly made. One is fixable.

Anyway, it's just by the by really.

The day one patch for Wii U completely changed the OS. You can do a hell of a lot with DLC and patches.

The day one patch was still crap. It took a long while to fix it properly. It's so much better now, it's not something I think about anymore really. It could improve further yes but it's more than acceptable. It was horrendous at the start, those who weren't there for that, count yourselves lucky.

IGN had this response from Nintendo about the delay yesterday, which I don't think got posted here

As Mr. Aonuma announced, The Legend of Zelda game for Wii U is no longer targeted as a 2015 release. Rather than sticking to a specific schedule, the team wants to make this the most complete and the best game it can possibly be. The new launch timing has not yet been determined. Because we’d like to focus on developing the game, we aren’t planning on showing it at this year’s E3, where we will be highlighting games launching in 2015. We will let you know when we’re ready to share more specifics.

I think the E3 comment is particularly noteworthy. Obviously all PR has to be taken with a pinch of salt, but sticking to games due this year sounds a reasonable explanation to me. I don't think we need to panic and assume the game is so broken/unfinished/changing direction that they can't show it, or that it's likely to move consoles. I suspect we'll get an update at E3 either way; the game might not be there but I'd be surprised if they don't mention it at all.

I've been wondering about that statement, with conversation scattered over so many topics I don't know if someone's mentioned it previously but focusing only on 2015 titles. When was the last E3 they focused only on games for the year in question? I think this lends more credence to the idea that a new platform is coming in 2016 and I think it's a console.

Edited by Wii

The day one patch for Wii U completely changed the OS. You can do a hell of a lot with DLC and patches.

But they can't fix a bad game

I agree with @Ronnie if Nintendo believes it is necessary to delay a game then that is their call. They are well aware of the Wii U's dire situation so I respect them for making a decision that benefits the individual game rather than the wider situation.

As a current Wii U owner I don't care if it is released this year or the next. I just want an unbroken game that provides an amazing experience from day 1. Unbroken games on day 1 are becoming increasingly rare with the ability to patch and release DLC on day 1. I'm glad Nintendo believes that they should release a quality product on release.

You cannot polish a turd.

It is disappointing that Nintendo gave an indication of a release date and has had to announce a delay but thank goodness they are delaying it rather than releasing an unfinished product!

Edited by Blade

I think that might prove my point more than yours.

I was amusingly trying to add to yours actually

Depends what definition of bad you use - bad to play or badly made. One is fixable.

Anyway, it's just by the by really.

Patches and DLC can make previously unplayable games (due to glitches) into something more - a recent example FF14, before it was terrible, after patching and relaunching its been a reasonable success. SKyrim on PS3 was equally a bad game until it was patched to be playable

Miyamoto has a point, a badly made game in its premise will almost always be a bad game, but with modern technology games can be incrementally updated

Miyamoto's quote is just a little behind the times now

I agree with @Ronnie if Nintendo believes it is necessary to delay a game then that is their call. They are well aware of the Wii U's dire situation so I respect them for making a decision that benefits the individual game rather than the wider situation.

As a current Wii U owner I don't care if it is released this year or the next. I just want an unbroken game that provides an amazing experience from day 1. Unbroken games on day 1 are becoming increasingly rare with the ability to patch and release DLC on day 1. I'm glad Nintendo believes that they should release a quality product on release.

You cannot polish a turd.

It is disappointing that Nintendo gave an indication of a release date and has had to announce a delay but thank goodness they are delaying it rather than releasing an unfinished product!

Well said, especially the part about Nintendo respecting the industry enough to not rush a broken release out. Unlike what happens on other platforms

Miyamoto's quote is just a little behind the times now

There's only so much fixing patches can do. Yes they can make the game not crash every five minutes and yes DLC can cellotape more content on top, but a badly implemented game from the start in order to satisfy a release date, will always be bad. Nintendo want to make a great Zelda game from the ground up.

Edited by Ronnie
Automerged Doublepost

On the assumption that this isn't a (rubbish) April Fool...

Look, I respect Aonuma and don't really care if the game is delayed, but let's not kid ourselves - this is its "Twilight Princess" moment. The idea that the scope of the game has surprised them is ridiculous. It was as obvious as could be that it was a huge game and going to takes ages to develop... which made the promise of a 2015 release hard to understand in the first place.

It's highly unlikely they're going to put all this effort into a huge Zelda game like this and not have a version that'll run on their next piece of hardware - the NX. Let's just hope that - unlike the Wii compared to the GameCube - the NX actually has as many buttons and as much controller capability as the Wii U gamepad (minus the actual controller screen - I can do without that).

Angry and slightly crushed by the news, putting yet another nail in the Nintendo coffin for me and particularly because I'm worried about exactly what Grazza's speculating.

I think the only game I'm looking forward to now for this year on WiiU is XCX - which, btw, is a massive game is it not? If those guys can manage to do it there, why is Zelda a struggle for the pros...

There's only so much fixing patches can do. Yes they can make the game not crash every five minutes and yes DLC can cellotape more content on top, but a badly implemented game from the start in order to satisfy a release date, will always be bad. Nintendo want to make a great Zelda game from the ground up.

Oh i agree on Zelda, i want it to come out perfect, and totally don't mind Nintendo delaying it, i was just agreeing with Ashley's point, the miyamoto quote doesn't hold up as well these days, you can fix a game

but if its a bad game full stop then yeah you can't polish a turd then

TBH, I have become a little disenchanted with Zelda since Skyward Sword.

Personally, I feel ever since WW, the quality of console Zelda games have been declining.

Case in point: The collection of the Spirits Tears (TP)/Spirit Realm segments and those insanely boring dowsing parts(SS) - the repetitive nature of these events halted the natural continuation of the gameplay and just made the gameplay predictable and too formulaic.

OOT and MM had a formulaic approach - enter new region, understand the problem, journey to the source of the problem (temple), defeat problem (boss) - but the continuity was far more enjoyable as it was still adventuring, meeting new characters and unravelling the story.

I'm not sure what mistakes they have learned from Skyward Sword, but I'm hoping they don't borrow too much from it - particularly the disjointed feel and repetitive boss battles (Ghirahim, that Scorpion and that pre-Demise).

Edited by King_V

@Ronnie @Blade a badly made game can be patched to be fantastic. Battlefield 4 was a broken mess and rushed out to meet it's deadline... plays like a dream now though, you can back me up on that too Blade.

Granted, I prefer a non-broken game to start with of course.

@Ronnie @Blade a badly made game can be patched to be fantastic. Battlefield 4 was a broken mess and rushed out to meet it's deadline... plays like a dream now though, you can back me up on that too Blade.

Granted, I prefer a non-broken game to start with of course.

Yes it can.

But if delaying Zelda means that they can add new gameplay mechanics, polish the graphics etc then that justifies a delay rather than a rushed piece of work.