NEurope
darkjak

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Wii U / Switch

There's certainly a lot of potential for the latest incarnation in The Legend of Zelda series which has been adored for a significant amount of time now. Over the course of almost the past twenty-eight years - suddenly I feel old - we've witnessed Link go from pixels to polygons, through different graphical phases and even to different places.

Each entry has managed to bring something unique, offering new styles of play, setting different tones, even taking us on spectacular voyages via a range of strange transportation which we wouldn't have thought possible within such a title until witnessing it first-hand. If I had heard in the nineties that a future Zelda game was going to be styled like a cartoon featuring a talking boat, I don't think I would have believed it and yet now it seems like the most normal thing within the context of games in general.

Whether it was originally the intention for each Zelda game to surprise its audience in all manner of ways or not, it's certainly a series that now has a reputation for it but for a series which is noted for doing so, I would have thought that there was the possibility of us ending up with the exact opposite of what we as fans actually wanted.

It's interesting to see Nintendo opening up to the idea of having a Zelda game with such a grand scale but lest we forget that it isn't necessarily that this is the first time the idea would have occurred; indeed Shigeru Miyamoto originally had the idea with the very first game being geared towards this style before it has gradually become something of a modern-day trend. Now though there is enough power to make something like this a reality, clearly it was at the very least attempted with Twilight Princess and certainly implied that it was to be the game set within this vast landscape where you could travel seamlessly between places across a presumably huge, interlinked overworld unlike any we had seen before.

Ultimately what we ended up with was a reworking of the template set in Ocarina of Time with a grander scope and a graphical style which seemed to sit somewhere between that realistic fantasy flavour of Lord of the Rings which was still popular at the time, mixed with the darker flavour of Majora's Mask which for the most-part is a fusion that works really well, only it lacked that charm which was there in abundance during the N64 games even if it still has its own moments of brilliance.

After seeing the reveal of the latest title, the potential for the majority of our dreams to be realised with regards to Zelda becoming one of the best adventure games of all time once again are almost within reach, no longer will it be significantly held back by the hardware; traditionally this is a series which has made the best of the platform it's on but I always got the impression that especially on the Wii there were times when I have thought to myself, nice as the art style is it's clearly held back but seeing The Wind Waker HD in motion and the last in-game footage we have witnessed belayed any fears I might have once had.

Beyond the look of the game though I for on am excited to see how things will rapidly progress from this point forward as 2015 will surely be a pivotal year not just for Nintendo but for The Legend of Zelda as a franchise. We know so far to expect a title which has a beautifully blended style featuring the protagonist we've all grown to love but in a different guise, riding a horse across a vast world using items and moves of which some are familiar, while others are new, fresh... untested.

What's exciting however is what we don't know, but rather than speculate I'm just going to enjoy the wait for E3 when surely the title will be fully revealed, hopefully it will surprise and delight us all.

Heroes are reborn but legends never die. : peace:

After seeing the reveal of the latest title, the potential for the majority of our dreams to be realised with regards to Zelda becoming one of the best adventure games of all time once again are almost within reach, no longer will it be significantly held back by the hardware; traditionally this is a series which has made the best of the platform it's on but I always got the impression that especially on the Wii there were times when I have thought to myself, nice as the art style is it's clearly held back but seeing The Wind Waker HD in motion and the last in-game footage we have witnessed belayed any fears I might have once had.

Excellent points, S.C.G.

I too feel this development is very natural. Seeing the bigger picture, Nintendo has probably been thinking about this kind of progression ever since Wind Waker, and this is the first time they can implement it.

One thing I hope is that they don't pare-down item usage too much. Playing Wind Waker HD, it's clear most of the weapons and items are there for a purpose, and all are the key to different types of gameplay (let's face it, most of them are from OOT and before - with very good reason). Hookshot lets you reach higher places, Deku Leaf lets you glide to ledges, Gauntlets let you cast obstacles aside... etc.

I just wouldn't like to get rid of all these for the sake of it.

I've been playing some Tomb Raider (the new one) lately and I must say that I hope that Nintendo take on TR's take on puzzle solving.

TR doesen't contain lots and lots of items which only get used in one dungeon and require you to remap your inventory buttons.

Instead there are few items, which are upgraded throughout the game to gain additional abilities. And instead, all items are being used all the time.

To be fair the good Zelda games never did this either. In fact I'd say it wasn't really til that spinning top thing came along in TP that anyone even had this complaint about Zelda. If we go back to the 3D debut, Ocarina of Time, almost everything you got would be used again in subsequent dungeons. In a sense, the Child Link items "upgrade" (slingshot replaced by bow, hookshot succeeding boomerang).

Those items upgrade further too. Adding fire arrows that burn webs or ice arrows that create platforms are not far off getting explosive arrows in Tomb Raider. Similarly you turn your hookshot into the longshot and in a sense even upgrade your boots and tunics to have different attributes.

I'm not saying you don't have a point, but I think Nintendo already know that they've made mistakes on this in the past, that's why SS took a new approach to shields and pouches, and ALBW came up with a whole new system for dungeon-dependent gear.

I take it that those who have played Shadow of the Colossus got such a vibe from the footage shown?

To me, seeing Link ride his horse through this vast landscape especially felt like a more colourful SotC.

Aonuma: Zelda has "as large a world as can be realised" on Wii U

Legend of Zelda producer on fitting the world to the hardware.

In the latest issue of Gamereactor Magazine - out in stores today - we have an interview with Legend of Zelda producer Eiji Aonuma, who discusses not only the remake of Majora's Mask (out last Friday, and reviewed here), but the upcoming Wii U title.

"A huge, seamlessly unfolding world is something that can't be achieved if the hardware isn't advanced enough," he responded when asked how the studio was transitioning to the new world teased in last year's demo. "Ever since we made the very first generation of Legend of Zelda games though, we've had as large a world as can be realised with the hardware, so you could say it was inevitable that we've now done the same with the new Wii U title."

He also commented on claims that the series had finally gone open world.

"When I first showed off the new Zelda game on the Wii U, it seemed everyone was very excited and started proclaiming that a Zelda game had at last become open world! Zelda games have always allowed you to roam and explore a huge world.

"What's changed now is that the hardware has progressed to the point that you can now explore this vast world seamlessly; the underpinning of the game hasn't changed."

And keeping track of where you are in that open world is now easier with the second screen on the Wii U GamePad, which Aonuma says aids with the sense of adventure while paralleling real life.

"Recently, I've taken to relying on the map on my smart phone when I'm out walking in a place I'm not familiar with. A map isn't something you keep tucked away in your bag, it's by holding it in your hand and being able to constantly check it as you move forward step by step that gives you that sense of adventure."

http://www.gamereactor.eu/news/290594/Aonuma:+Zelda+has+"as+large+a+world+as+can+be+realised"+on+Wii+U/

Will it contain enough content though? My biggest gripe with TP was it felt stretched out(second being the criticism touched on by Shorty+Hogge - items being too limited in scope/use).

Having a massive world to explore is nice but at the end of the day it means nothing if the game itself isn't any good. I'm also very disappointed they seem to be using the Twilight Princess character animations, something that's two generations old. It doesn't look great especially compared with Wind Waker's animations.

Having a massive world to explore is nice but at the end of the day it means nothing if the game itself isn't any good. I'm also very disappointed they seem to be using the Twilight Princess character animations, something that's two generations old. It doesn't look great especially compared with Wind Waker's animations.

This is my only gripe with it currently, the animation makes Link look a little stiff (not like that, haha).

This is my only gripe with it currently, the animation makes Link look a little stiff (not like that, haha).

I was going to use that word, but thought better not ;)

Where is this animation talk coming from? Was there a new vid I missed? I've gone back 3 pages and see no new vids unless its hidden from me?

Where is this animation talk coming from? Was there a new vid I missed? I've gone back 3 pages and see no new vids unless its hidden from me?

You don't see the 10 minute in-depth showcase played by Shigsy in a full Link costume?

It's the same vids Mokong. It's the way he runs, as well as the way he hangs from the sailcloth as he floats down off the cliff. He just looks so rigid.

If you compare it with how Link hangs from the Deku Leaf in WW, the difference in his animation is night and day. In Zelda WiiU he just hangs off the sailcloth like a cardboard cut-out, whereas on WW he shifts his weight, pulls from one arm to the other when changing direction... it looks so much better!

We can still consider that trailer as early development though so hopefully the animations will get a touch up before the game is finalised.

It's the same vids Mokong. It's the way he runs, as well as the way he hangs from the sailcloth as he floats down off the cliff. He just looks so rigid.

If you compare it with how Link hangs from the Deku Leaf in WW, the difference in his animation is night and day. In Zelda WiiU he just hangs off the sailcloth like a cardboard cut-out, whereas on WW he shifts his weight, pulls from one arm to the other when changing direction... it looks so much better!

Couldn't have put it better myself. Wind Waker really was beautifully animated.

This is truly impressive, I'm in awe.

GBATcb3.jpg

It took 10 months and 57,344 stitches to create the map for A Link To The Past. :bowdown:

I still have a hard time understanding what is said in Part 2 of that series about the Zoras evolving over time in the Rito....

The lands have been flooded, perfect conditions for us Zoras

Lol, let's evolve into birds.

Perhaps it has something to do with the water being salty?

I still have a hard time understanding what is said in Part 2 of that series about the Zoras evolving over time in the Rito....

The lands have been flooded, perfect conditions for us Zoras

Lol, let's evolve into birds.

Perhaps it has something to do with the water being salty?

Am I right in thinking you've a particular bugear about this? I'm sure you've mentioned it before? Not that I disagree mind, it doesn't quite make sense after all. If anything I'd have expected WW to be flooded with sea-dwelling races.

Maybe the Goddesses forced the change into birds so that the Zoras wouldn't enter contact with Ganondorf, thus keeping everything a secret?

Am I right in thinking you've a particular bugear about this? I'm sure you've mentioned it before? Not that I disagree mind, it doesn't quite make sense after all. If anything I'd have expected WW to be flooded with sea-dwelling races.

You are correct.

Perhaps this was in the Hyrule Hystoria thread...nostalgic times...

I'll try and look for some theories regarding the Zora -> Rito matter.

It HAS to be salt water, since they lived in lakes and ponds in the preceding games leading up to Wind Waker.

They lived in the sea in Majora, but they could have been a sub species.

They lived in the sea in Majora, but they could have been a sub species.

Yeah, and in some of the handheld games as well.

But then we'd be talking about a different timeline in which they might have evolved into also being able to swim in salt water.

So I found these theories:

Why would they do that? The whole continent is a giant ocean; why would fish need to evolve into birds? I've looked for an obvious reason, but there isn't any. Some say that the Zora were a river-dwelling species and couldn't adapt to ocean water, but we see ocean Zora in the Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages and other games. Others suggest that too many predators invaded the Zora's territory, and they took to the skies to survive [I've also seen suggested that this might be due to Ganondorf sending his minions out into the sea in the Wind Waker world in order to find the pieces of the Triforce]. No way to tell, really, perhaps they were just Natural Selection'd into wings.

So far, however, the likeliest theory would be some sort of divine intervention. After flooding Hyrule, the three Golden Goddesses took away the Zora's ability to swim; had they not done that, it wouldn't be hard for a Zora to stumble upon the castle and discover what was once Hyrule. This leaves the Zora as some sort of land-dwelling, grappling hook-wielding creature[2], which eventually recieved flight from Valoo.

However, the following theory speaks to me:

This one is basically the theory in Italic above.

I lasted about 5 seconds listening to that guy speaking before having to stop.

Royal Philharmonic Concert Orchestra - Gerudo Valley

Royal Philharmonic Concert Orchestra - Outset Island

Royal Philharmonic Concert Orchestra - Zelda Shop Medley

Royal Philharmonic Concert Orchestra - Zelda Medley

Royal Philharmonic Concert Orchestra - Ballad of the Wind Fish

It would be nice if all the music in the upcoming Wii U Zelda was orchestrated.