NEurope
Cube

Xbox One Console Discussion

I dont like the Metro aspect of the dash but that wouldnt stop me getting an Xbox One if I had been interested. What made me switch over to the PS3 last gen and has got me sticking with the PS4 now is more the Japanese aspect. For the most part I know that Western games will appear on both consoles but the Xbox One just wont get a lot of those quirky Japanese games that can shake things up a bit. The Indie scene im sure is also another big pull but as im mostly a PC gamer anyway I'll keep getting them that way.

The one thing I do miss a bit though is the Halo games, used to love playing those co-op with @Goafer and it was a shame that I missed out on 4 and probably whatever is coming next.

Why is good recent Forza 5 footage so hard to find? There's a shit-tonne for DriveClub, I want to see a comparison.

I can totally understand not getting either of these on launch....

...However, not looking forward to Resogun should surely be a criminal offence?

Does everyone have to like Shmups? I find them pretty boring, I haven't enjoyed one since Ikaruga and before that... R-Type :/

Officer, arrest these men. (I've always wanted to say that).

THE MASK!!!!! What a film! One of Carreys old films which doesn't make me cringe with embarrassment!

THE MASK!!!!! What a film! One of Carreys old films which doesn't make me cringe with embarrassment!

The Mask and Liar Liar. Fooking brilliant films. :D

So last night I went to the XB One lock-in party at the GAME store that bluey works at atm and I would say that the experience of the event left a huge amount to be desired. But let's start with the console experience first:

Playtime

Rise

Demo was of a couple of levels of online (in this case directly networked) co-op. With no tutorial type help to get to know the controls, "Hit X to kill things" seemed to be the order of the day. It's a very pretty game with some reasonable lighting but not at any point was I inspired as many of these new visual features just seem to be poorly implemented, like the overly viscous water that reflected things nicely but made it harder to see what was going on. The camera work is atrocious and leaves you feeling really constricted and the controls generally made you feel less of a badass but more someone that could time a good parry.

You progress through the levels by completing a barrage of mini objectives that are fairly arbitrary, most of which are "kill wave 14 of bad guys". After slashing up a baddy, they soon get a skull above their head, telling you that there's an opening for a finishing move which triggers a quick time event in which you can start skewering someone or slicing their limbs off. This links into a mechanic for gaining favour with the crowd that are watching your gladiatorial exploits however this seems to have no impact on the game at all with the exception of the very arcadey score board at the end of each level. It's a potentially interesting mechanic but in reality a massively missed opportunity. The AI could also have been outwitted by a 5 year old, with enemies waiting to be sliced in the face and no sign of any higher cognition than simple attractive movement.

The whole thing seems like a mess without any clear idea of what it wants to achieve from a gameplay or experience point of view. If anything it's a slightly interactive CGI gladiator movie that just comes off as a pretty dull game. If it wasn't for the graphics I could have sworn I was playing a really shit, early PS2 game.

Dead Rising 3

The demo for this put you into a large, free to explore section of a city at night which, you guessed it, is teeming with very sleepy and hungry looking people. You get dumped straight into the fray with an arsenal of weapons already including a pair of wrist mounted guns that spray bullets in all directions (which we affectionately called "Wolverine guns"), a flame thrower and an electric slam hammer that all got us feeling pretty Thor-happy.

Whilst not highly detailed graphically and (frankly) a bit murky on the pallet, you do get pretty impressed by the fact that there is an absolute shit load of mobs on-screen at any time. You trot around a corner and are confronted by a group of not 10 or even 30 walkers but by an army, if not a sea of fully animated, crowd behaving zombies. Now don't get me wrong, their AI was particularly "intelligent" but it was varied and mobbing. There were some great instances where you could see the mob actually take notice of you and the situation change very quickly or other points where you fire flares and huge crowds start to gather around the light. Not bad Capcom (with your horrible new logo).... not bad!

To give my playthrough some context, I've never played Dead Rising.... EVER. So when I got stuck into the combat I started to get the feeling that it was going to be all about hitting X repeatedly again. However the variety of the weapons, from close quarters to projectile or even electrifying, combined with their variety in firing modes makes for an interesting mix. This gets topped off with the hilarious special kill moves that really get pretty spectacular, from sticking a band saw in someone's crotch and slicing them in half from balls to scalp, using a heavy object to hammer one with and explode their head and torso or even "doing a Kratos" and grabbing one from behind, squishing your fingers into their eye sockets and getting enough grip to rip their head clean off. All of this kind of thing splashes goo all over the camera which has some great effects.

As fun as this was, I was worried that this was all going to wear until I started discovering the sheer variety of toys around. Cars to run things over with, diggers to mow into these armies of the undead, motorbikes to zip around in and even a wheel chair to push around at speed and try and "catch" a zombie into sitting in. Then I discovered a whole other level to the game, (which I later found out is not a franchise first) which is the weapon crafting system. When you first jump into things, you see the game suggesting you should pick up all kinds of shitty little objects like a hand bag or a some jewellery, even a toaster. Now these are pretty crap for killing hordes of your ex-next-door-neighbour right? WRONG! Finding blueprints around the city allows you to combo these into making some insane weapons, including a giant ball of spikes and blades that you swing around, exploding teddy bears and (my personal favourite) a mechanical cat made of oil drums and other rubbish that viciously pounces from place to places shredding up any zombies in it's wake.

Great and fun experience with lots to explore. I'm not really much of a sandbox person however this was right up my street. The sizeable amount that was going on on the screen with no noticeable pop-in and very far rendering distance did a great job at showing what the extra muscle in the machine can really do. There were some interesting ideas that were teased, such as the Kinect picking up on whether you were being noisy or not which would get you noticed but, although present, none of the Kinects were turned on!

Killer Instinct

Having played the original and as fan I was quite looking forward to giving this a try although not expecting a huge amount. I played a couple of matches with Glacius and Jago and was happy to find a lot of the old moves still in play however it felt a bit weird on the thumbstick so I switched to the d-pad. Was a little terrified by some 15 year old muscle memory that almost allowed me to do Jago Killer combo off the bat but only got a 10 hit in. It's all there as you'd expect with the combos and the breakers however it's attempted to update itself so little that everyone (even Jago) feels pretty heavy and the game has no sense of agility. The character models are again very pretty but stylised in a way that I didn't really like although Glacius looked sweet as hell with special effect flying all over the place for all of his moves.

From a gameplay point of view this feels pretty dated now and I fear for the new business model that is going to be attached to it as well.

Feel of the console generally

The pad is as you would expect. Ignore the bullshit, it's just a 360 pad really with a non-shit dpad. We did cheekily hit the home button and try and have a look around the dev unit. The interface looks horrible (my opinion) and seems to have no sense of organisation at all. Just a bit random and cluttery, funnily enough just like the metro interface on Win8. This one however you cannot edit I bet. Had a look at the hardware itself too. Pretty damn big and the power pack is external, which is also pretty mammoth.

The Show

So those were the games.... "but what about the event itself?" I hear you ask. Well that was even more underwhelming than the console itself.

Firstly there was a presentation from the events guys. They used a Surface tablet plugged into two HD TVs which visually was fine but for some reason the audio came out of the tablet only and was almost inaudible. The presenter tried to whip us up really poorly at the start which instantly made the crowd think he was a total nob. Then he decided to let us watch some videos of E3... which was nice :/ He then proceeded to show us a really poor MS slideshow whilst reading off a script which was scribbled on postit notes. He didn't look up once to make eye contact with the audience. I wanted to jump over the counter, knock-out punch him and take over just to stop everyone there being tortured by the experience.

Then we were let on the machines. At which point the events guys ignored everyone:

- No help with the playthroughs

- No pointing out interesting features

- No explaining the controls

- No explanation or hype about reasons to buy the platform

- No stories about their experiences

- No attempts to make a mini tournament or anything fun out of the games

The whole thing was a fucking sham. MS and/or GAME are paying these guys to essentially just chaperone the hardware and ignore you. They did nothing to improve the image of the platform or make it desirable. On top of this, there were no demos using Kinect and more importantly: no fucking Titanfall.

I'm sure this event cost someone a reasonable amount of money and as a result simply solidified everyone's feeling of ambivalence towards the platform. If you go to one of these events please give these guys a hard time because the deserve it (but not the guy with gingery hair... he was quite safe).

Xbox One's achievements:

ir4F5kJffCbZM.gif

I quite like the changing text, dont like the Metro-y green and think it maybe stays on the screen a bit too long.

The colour changes depending on your theme.

However, the changing text is dreadful.

So those were the games.... "but what about the event itself?" I hear you ask.

Really? I can't possibly imagine caring less about that :heh: but I appreciate your taking the time to talk us through the games. I also don't understand why anyone would be psyched for RISE in the first place. Where's the market for Roman soldiers, QTE and graphics which get worse the longer the game is in development?

The achievement graphic is also crappy. We really don't need "more information" instruction for every single cheevo, especially not if it's jarringly off-centre.

Starting too feel like both console companies have lost the plot lately. Speak to me, Steam Box...

Really? I can't possibly imagine caring less about that :heh:

You bitch! :grin:

To give it some context, I'd just spent the past day teaching 7 people (5 from the BBC) about TCP/IP and have managed to achieve a small miracle in terms of fitting a huge amount of context into a single day with that course.

This by contrast was harrowing as I'm positive a decent amount of money gets put into this shit and no one ever checks that it's getting spent properly. The aim was to improve the PR image of the XB1 and get people enthusiastic about it. MISSION FAILED.

A pod in the shop with no PR people would have been better.

Decent enough ad, until they actually showed the Xbox One in action. And even then it wasn't too bad except the extremely awkward looking bit with the woman and Star Trek.

Decent enough ad, until they actually showed the Xbox One in action. And even then it wasn't too bad except the extremely awkward looking bit with the woman and Star Trek.

Yeah, that Spock bit looked a bit off. Other than that I think it's a really good advert.

I thought maybe it was gonna show a Star Trek game.... but you know at least that was showed in relation to Netflix (i think).

I also thought the Gerrard bit at the start would lead to the guy playing FIFA or something but then of course.....it had to be TV TV TV TV TV related :heh:

I thought maybe it was gonna show a Star Trek game.... but you know at least that was showed in relation to Netflix (i think).

How appropriate that they pick a film not available on UK Netflix.

In fairness, its a US advert. It just has Gerrard in because Americans love our crazy version of football, right?

I think the ad is awesome!

MS did a good job here. Its all about making the console appealing to the public and I think they did this!

Compared to nintendo's Wii U adverts it is night and day. MS are light years ahead!