NEurope
Cube

Xbox One Console Discussion

Looks like the Xbox One pre-orders on Amazon shot up for Europe. They made a pretty smart move with bundling it with the Day One edition, but I think it's going to be futile in the long run as I can't see Europe swaying away from Sony for a good while.

So, this has probably been raised a million times all ready, but how long do you think it's going to be before Microsoft launch a Kinect-less SKU? When they originally did their 180 degree turn around, I thought it wouldn't be too long before they get rid of the Kinect from the box but now I'm not so sure if it's going to happen before launch.

One thing I'm sure about though is that it's probably going to happen within a year after launch if the situation is looking bad as bad as I'm expecting it to be. People just do not sound happy about the fact they're paying a significant amount more for a console because the camera, which they don't want to use, is being forcefully included. And the image of the camera gets even worse when the console doesn't even require it any more.

Theories I have heard is that we could maybe see a Kinectless SKU around April time, let them get all the money they can from the people interested enough to just buy the current bundle. I also assumed that we would get another announcement soon about a Kinectless SKU for launch but listening to the Giant Bombcast yesterday they brought up a good point that doing that would probably mess up preorders too much.

They won't do it. They'll take a price cut before they get rid of the Kinect. They are trying to Trojan Horse it into living rooms.

If they released a non-Kinect version, they'll be admitting.

- Kinect isn't really that good.

- It's not useful for gaming.

- The non-gaming features it provides are not all that interesting.

Reversing all the DRM stuff makes sense, but removing a major component (as Kinect is with the XBO, unlike the PS4 camera) does not.

I don't think they'll remove it. They see it as their baby and one of their main selling points.

If they released a non-Kinect version, they'll be admitting.

- Kinect isn't really that good.

- It's not useful for gaming.

- The non-gaming features it provides are not all that interesting.

Reversing all the DRM stuff makes sense, but removing a major component (as Kinect is with the XBO, unlike the PS4 camera) does not.

Or you could say that they have realised that some gamers don't want a Kinect and none of the above.

Their end game is getting Kinect into homes, not simply selling to gamers.

It would essentially be like Nintendo removing the GamePad from the Wii U. Whether or not you think they should, it would be too much of a back step that basically gives a vote of no confidence in their own USP.

Or you could say that they have realised that some gamers don't want a Kinect and none of the above.

This is practically my response to those who are saying it's too much of the desired direction Microsoft wants to take for them to remove it from the packaging.

I can see them more likely dropping the price initially. But after that, if no good recovery is seen, they're simply going to have to make a Kinect-less SKU. There's no point in making too big of a loss on something that might possibly be something completely unwanted by the market. And what happens with those products on the market that nobody wants? They inevitably vanish.

Their end game is getting Kinect into homes, not simply selling to gamers.

CBOAT at neogaf suggested kinectless xbone by Easter. also on neogaf Phil Harrison had an interesting interview where they mentioned they will warm people to the DRM by introducing it to digital purchases at first shortly after launch. They seem to be lacking leadership right now.

A look at the interface when you press the "Guide" button. Apart from the speed, it's a colossal downgrade from the Xbox 360 and is one of the ugliest interfaces I've ever seen.

^ Well that was underwhelming... does the Xbox One have anything good going for it atm? :blank:

Why is that a major downgrade? Maybe it's just me but I use the Home for four things: Return to Xbox Home, see Achievements, see Active Downloads, and sometimes turn off console.

A look at the interface when you press the "Guide" button. Apart from the speed, it's a colossal downgrade from the Xbox 360 and is one of the ugliest interfaces I've ever seen.

Ah...Microsoft's relentless campaign to give everything the Windows 8 layout. No thanks.

Ah...Microsoft's relentless campaign to give everything the Windows 8 layout. No thanks.

Which no-one wants. Microsoft even reversing that with 8.1. The interface is certainly heading in the wrong direction, looks like an early 360 design in beta.

Why is that a major downgrade? Maybe it's just me but I use the Home for four things: Return to Xbox Home, see Achievements, see Active Downloads, and sometimes turn off console.

It's not easy to explain, but it's to do with keeping what you were doing as the "full screen" application. In Windows, if I want to open an app like Notepad, I want to keep the current app in full view while I open it, which is why a small Start menu is better than a full-screen one (Windows 8).

I just think the way the 360 guide handles stuff like achievements, messages and invites is better (as an overlay with the game still full screen) than the PS3, PS4 and Xbox One.

It's not easy to explain, but it's to do with keeping what you were doing as the "full screen" application. In Windows, if I want to open an app like Notepad, I want to keep the current app in full view while I open it, which is why a small Start menu is better than a full-screen one (Windows 8).

I just think the way the 360 guide handles stuff like achievements, messages and invites is better (as an overlay with the game still full screen) than the PS3, PS4 and Xbox One.

So your only real issue is that the game goes into a box and the achievements are full screen, rather than the game going darker in the background kinda like a lightbox? As long as the game remains running in the background and you can presumably get right back to it by hitting guide again, there's really no difference...

I absolutely agree with you regarding Windows 8. In fact, full screen menus etc are the main reason I will never upgrade from Win 7 to Win 8. When people said they wanted the start button back, I think there was a little confusion, what they actually wanted was the start menu back, so they could open it without obscuring/interfering with what they were doing.

However I don't think it really carries over to Xbox the same way... unless you frequently hit the guide button on your 360 and find yourself thinking "thank goodness I can still just about make out paused state of the game I'm playing in these spaces around my achievements menu which is covering 50% of my screen". For me it's OK if a console, with its far simpler nature than a PC, works more like a Smart Phone. If I hit home on my iPhone I can go to any other app, and when I go back into Plants vs Zombies or whatever, it will load instantly and still be where I left it.

I think you're right, Shorty. As long as I can hit the guide, see my friends list and invite them to a party, then hit the guide again to jump back into the game where I left off I'll be fine with it.

i am struggling to see why anybody would buy an xbox1. You would have to be the most ardent Halo fan.

I think the whole industry is in for a big shake up with all next gen consoles selling way under expectations.

So your only real issue is that the game goes into a box and the achievements are full screen, rather than the game going darker in the background kinda like a lightbox? As long as the game remains running in the background and you can presumably get right back to it by hitting guide again, there's really no difference...

I absolutely agree with you regarding Windows 8. In fact, full screen menus etc are the main reason I will never upgrade from Win 7 to Win 8. When people said they wanted the start button back, I think there was a little confusion, what they actually wanted was the start menu back, so they could open it without obscuring/interfering with what they were doing.

However I don't think it really carries over to Xbox the same way... unless you frequently hit the guide button on your 360 and find yourself thinking "thank goodness I can still just about make out paused state of the game I'm playing in these spaces around my achievements menu which is covering 50% of my screen". For me it's OK if a console, with its far simpler nature than a PC, works more like a Smart Phone. If I hit home on my iPhone I can go to any other app, and when I go back into Plants vs Zombies or whatever, it will load instantly and still be where I left it.

I can see what Cube is saying. Imagine if every application on your PC required full screen to run. It would be massively distracting and detracts from the feeling that your computer is really multi-tasking.

It's less of an issue for a console (since on a PC there are more benefits to having multiple things on screen at once, like typing a word document while getting info from a web page) but it's still an issue. A small dialogue box means you can still see what is going on in your game, and like you haven't really gone away from the game. It may sound trivial but I would appreciate it.

i am struggling to see why anybody would buy an xbox1. You would have to be the most ardent Halo fan.

I think the whole industry is in for a big shake up with all next gen consoles selling way under expectations.

I want an Xbox because it's the console I've always had, it has the controller that I like, its the one that my friends buy. Their online system has been fantastic ever since I got it almost 10 years ago ago now. Why would I want to change?

Odd. I thought the FIFA 14 offer would have done amazingly well in stores after release.

I want an Xbox because it's the console I've always had, it has the controller that I like, its the one that my friends buy. Their online system has been fantastic ever since I got it almost 10 years ago ago now. Why would I want to change?

Ah, the appeal to tradition.