NEurope
Cube

Xbox One Console Discussion

Hold up so MS are hoping to use Kinect as standard for voice chat instead of headsets... I thought Nintendo already proved with WiiSpeak that is a bad idea?

Hold up so MS are hoping to use Kinect as standard for voice chat instead of headsets... I thought Nintendo already proved with WiiSpeak that is a bad idea?

Microsoft are the pinnacle company for bad ideas, none of this surprises me one bit to be honest.

Why was it a bad idea? What happened with WiiSpeak?

The current Kinect isn't actually all that bad for voice chat, so i would imagine that Kinect 2.0 has improved on that.

Plus let us not forget Microsoft has a wealth more experience (and the Skype team) when it comes to this kind of thing than Nintendo.

I'm not sure if it will work, but I wouldn't say we should use Wii Speak as some kind of yard stick as they're two different beasts really.

Plus let us not forget Microsoft has a wealth more experience (and the Skype team) when it comes to this kind of thing than Nintendo.

I'm not sure if it will work, but I wouldn't say we should use Wii Speak as some kind of yard stick as they're two different beasts really.

From chatting to some people using the Kinect device, it's not as good as the headset for conversations.

The thing is I don't want to be yelling, head set means you can be much more normal at talking.

I came in here to discuss something else...the reversal of the always online features being withdrawn does bring up some interesting questions.

I wonder how many Xbox One single player games will now suffer as a result of not being able to draw from "the cloud" for AI and such or at least offering an option of their game play cycle where this doesn't exist. How much of this is real and overstated we may never truly know this generation. Will the PS4 being more powerful be more important now?

I wonder how many Xbox One single player games will now suffer as a result of not being able to draw from "the cloud" for AI and such or at least offering an option of their game play cycle where this doesn't exist. How much of this is real and overstated we may never truly know this generation. Will the PS4 being more powerful be more important now?

Cloud gaming has nothing to do with the console. Any developer could implement it on any console that could access the internet (or PC). Mircosoft are simply providing some servers for it.

Cloud gaming has nothing to do with the console. Any developer could implement it on any console that could access the internet (or PC). Mircosoft are simply providing some servers for it.

Yes BUT they are (/were) the console platform right now using the cloud in this way. I don't know of any major services that offset a large amount of data in this way for pure processing. I mean sure tons of services are in the cloud but not in this always online model. I don't think the likes of Dropbox, Chrome OS, Sky Drive/Office Web are quite the same. Outside of Onlive and previously Gaikai offering full hog games, I don't know of any games on PC that offset etc... They were making out that they had a vast amount of such servers and X allotted to each console so that computations etc... can be offset. Can that same promise of experience still be delivered without that extra girth offered by the cloud?

I was never sold on it as a premise but if developers were seriously using this cloud to transfer data back and forth to augment a gaming experience then it will be interesting to see how they manage this issue.

The thing is I don't want to be yelling, head set means you can be much more normal at talking.

I came in here to discuss something else...the reversal of the always online features being withdrawn does bring up some interesting questions.

I thought the reversal referred to the 24-hour check in, but the cloud-supported computing will still be possible (i.e. some games will have to be online to work, but you won't have to connect every 24 hours to make every game work)?

So buy a headset? :blank: If it was bundled in people would probably be saying "look, another accessory you're forced to buy even though Kinect already has a microphone!"

So buy a headset? :blank: If it was bundled in people would probably be saying "look, another accessory you're forced to buy even though Kinect already has a microphone!"

Am I reading this wrong? If a headset was bundled in, no one would be have to buy it as an accessory. That's the point of it being bundled in.

Am I reading this wrong? If a headset was bundled in, no one would be have to buy it as an accessory. That's the point of it being bundled in.

But if it increases the cost of the console...

But if it increases the cost of the console...

What, people would think it would be a factor in defining the nice round number of 500 Euros/Dollars?

Consoles come with bundled in accessories all the time, many of them not actually essential. When this is the case, how often do people complain? Sure, when it comes with a game it's a different story, but I've never heard anybody complain about the presence of an optional accessory, with any electronic device (cameras, TVs, laptops, etc.). They're just extras for those who prefer them.

A mic is essential for any console that has a huge online focus. That shit should come bundled and don't give me the Kinect bollocks either, the last thing people want is having people who might be around having to listen in on a conversation. And a mic wont increase the price much atall, the mics bundled with the 360 are cheap and cheerful to make.

Look at the PS3, doesn't come with a mic, chat is pretty much dead and that sucks no matter how you might feel about the horrible disgusting minority who spout bullshit over live.

Microsoft partners with Time Warner for new TV deal

America only, you still need a cable subscription, the cable box and xbox live gold....I really don't see the point. Sounds to me like all one would get is the ability to not have to switch channels for gaming or cable and kinect controlled television :blank:

Edited by Deathjam

I suppose there's some potential for new interesting features; set an alarm for a show you want to watch while gaming; have the xbox notifications overlaying your TV stream (jayseven NE is online and playing Dead Island 3! Wanna join? press x!); chat with friends whilst watching the big match; opportunity for free-to-play apps to install/play during ad breaks. Basically microsoft can cut into a huge marketing source and offer an additional later of advertising revenue. What's to stop them offering companies the chance to put a graphic on a visual advert? Maybe encourage businesses to invest in another level of advertising by paying more so that they offer an interactive element to their advert? See an advert for domino's and the console offers you a "press A to order your meal now" pop-up.

Again microsoft are going for the business model here, but the social aspect will be worked in. It's an interesting development, but certainly something I'd overlook on purpose.

I suppose there's some potential for new interesting features; set an alarm for a show you want to watch while gaming; have the xbox notifications overlaying your TV stream (jayseven NE is online and playing Dead Island 3! Wanna join? press x!); chat with friends whilst watching the big match; opportunity for free-to-play apps to install/play during ad breaks. Basically microsoft can cut into a huge marketing source and offer an additional later of advertising revenue. What's to stop them offering companies the chance to put a graphic on a visual advert? Maybe encourage businesses to invest in another level of advertising by paying more so that they offer an interactive element to their advert? See an advert for domino's and the console offers you a "press A to order your meal now" pop-up.

Again microsoft are going for the business model here, but the social aspect will be worked in. It's an interesting development, but certainly something I'd overlook on purpose.

Hmm good points but basically I would be pissed if I got notifications every 10-15 mins while engrossed in a footy match or watching Game of Thrones. Can you imagine watching the tense moment of the Red Wedding, only to be told simon has invited you to play dance central or some shit. Dealbreaker right there.

Dealbreaker_zpsa7e7ba88.gif

He could at least ask you to play something more suitable.

Wow! You could not write this stuff! What a perfect choice of company :laughing:

Gives me flashbacks to how Krazy Ken left after the PS3 disaster...

i couldn't think of a better company for him to head...well maybe EA

He has also been linked with EA, he has buddies both there and Zynga.

I just don't want to see his dogged mush again.

You're doing football wrong.

Hmm good points but basically I would be pissed if I got notifications every 10-15 mins while engrossed in a footy match or watching Game of Thrones. Can you imagine watching the tense moment of the Red Wedding, only to be told simon has invited you to play dance central or some shit. Dealbreaker right there.

Perhaps you can turn them off by saying "Xbox, leave me alone!"