NEurope
Cube

Xbox One Console Discussion

I wonder what is going to happen when Xbox Two is released. How long will they keep the online service up so you can keep checking in?

Both funny and true :D ...

Gametrailers: The Final Bosman - 3 things to takeaway from the Press Conference

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/9ezteb/the-final-bosman-go-home--xbox

I had never heard of Kyle Bosman until a few months ago but I've enjoyed everything I've watched him in :grin:

As for that particular video, it struck me again that everyone who presented at the conference seems so unlikeable! It's probably one of the reasons I find Nintendo to be much more appealing..

I've just thought of something else.

If games are activated, could Microsoft stop people playing copies they get early (like on Steam)?

They could, but since preloading is less likely to become a thing on a system still mostly running physical media, I doubt they'd bother putting such a system in place. Even if they did, it probably wouldn't bother most people, only people in small nations like ours tend to get pre-order deliveries early.

And reviewers!

It would be fiddly to manage. Even a company like Nintendo (whose UK PR branch is in-house technically), the PR side works separately from the technical side so it's not like they could just add a 'safe list' of console IDs that won't be blocked from early access. And demo units, store consoles etc.

Last November, the company applied for a patent on an Xbox 360-like achievements system for watching TV.

Achievement Unlocked: Couch Potato!

"Additionally, by tying the awards and achievements to particular items of video or advertising content, viewers may be encouraged to increase their viewership of the content, thus increasing advertising opportunities,"

Achievement Unlocked: Watched an advert, still living in the 90's!

The patent also includes the possibility of detecting how many people are watching, and charging an additional fee per viewer or over a certain number.

Achievement Unlocked: Milking you for all you're worth!

Source and source. Neither are new, and MS has said that they often apply for patents that they never use, but it's worrying that they've thought of these, particularly the latter.

The last one won't be an issue for Cube because he only watches Doctor Who... think about it

Edited by dwarf

Achievement Unlocked: Couch Potato!

Achievement Unlocked: Watched an advert, still living in the 90's!

Achievement Unlocked: Milking you for all you're worth!

Source and source. Neither are new, and MS has said that they often apply for patents that they never use, but it's worrying that they've thought of these, particularly the latter.

In practice I wouldn't mind some sort of meta game around the notion of watching TV, much like foursquare makes a game out of travelling. However this concept of getting points for holding up stuff during adverts and shit. However gimme a medal for finishing Fringe on netflix and I'm interested.

I still can't get my head around them calling it the Xbox One when it needs another box to run.

The latest Giant Bomb Interview Dumptruck is worth listening to they discuss the TV stuff:

http://www.giantbomb.com/podcasts/interview-dumptruck/

He says what they've shown is what they are aiming to achieve internationally with regards to the TV stuff. I'd wager it doesn't happen majorly outside of the US.

For people wondering why it might be more of a big deal over here. TV interfaces SUCK and it's kind of a stagnant area. Everyone has had the same interface for years and its bullshit. As I've complained on here many times it's the same situation as with mobile phones, monopolies and no desire to push prices or services.

This is what my TV interface looks like:

ipg01.gif

This is even a bullshot as the text isn't as clear and nice as that even in HD. Also it's slow as hell and sluggish and a nightmare to use. Never thought I'd miss my Virgin Media + box so much! So now I get why my girlfriend was saying she would welcome all these changes.

Hmmmm funny how America such a despicable country has so much to say about Canada when not a single Canadian gives a shit about American. America could learn so much from Canada about pretty much everything.

Hmmmm funny how America such a despicable country has so much to say about Canada when not a single Canadian gives a shit about American. America could learn so much from Canada about pretty much everything.

Those Canadians seem to have muffled up your grammar eh?

(genuinely, took me a few attempts!)

Those Canadians seem to have muffled up your grammar eh?

(genuinely, took me a few attempts!)

You know the one thing more annoying than American's slagging off Canada? Grammar snobs! :indeed:

I wonder how Kinect will handle all the dialects and different sounds? Voice control on the iphone is clearly not as good for us in the UK compared to the US.

What do you guys think of the whole 'cloud' term that MS are abusing? I have a feeling hardcore gamers are going to be frustrated by this term being abused constantly.

ajj0QOa.png

I know some will say its Forza, but you will probably see this across the board and going into the future. I have a feeling EA will too like with Sim City.

You know the one thing more annoying than American's slagging off Canada? Grammar snobs! :indeed:

What about American grammar snobs?

"It's 'color', not 'colour', you island-dwelling savage!"

I wonder how Kinect will handle all the dialects and different sounds? Voice control on the iphone is clearly not as good for us in the UK compared to the US.

What do you guys think of the whole 'cloud' term that MS are abusing? I have a feeling hardcore gamers are going to be frustrated by this term being abused constantly.

ajj0QOa.png

I know some will say its Forza, but you will probably see this across the board and going into the future. I have a feeling EA will too like with Sim City.

I've wondered about a lot of these issues. The voice thing definitely worries me. I don't know how much work goes into localising these things all I know is that Google Now doesn't recognize me at all!

As for the cloud, yes abusive use it. Lots of rumours flying around that their second hand sales/verifiying all goes back to the cloud. I mean seriously? Does this render the use of the console in the future impossible as soon as they shut off the servers? It is abuse of the term cloud because it's a trendy term people use due to dropbox, google drive etc....and phones syncing data.

Back to the TV subject, Weekend Confirmed did a really discussion on the TV thing this week. Basically Garnett Lee said as much as they've been touting the device as future proof and forward thinking in the way it interacts with TV, as long as they rely on the current cable box system there is only so far it can go. It's tied to that closed system and the limits of what a HDMI through cable can do. Why are they not truly creating a box that's an alternative to that type of service?

What about American grammar snobs?

"It's 'color', not 'colour', you island-dwelling savage!"

LOL! Actually one thing I like about Canada they don't use all parts of American english!

Future proof? Unless SmartnTVs and in built Freeview become more common.

Yeah it's only because of the choice of providers over there that this feature of the X1 appeals. Over here it's pretty pointless.

Region Lock Confirmed

The Xbox One will be region locked, Microsoft has confirmed with Digital Trends. The console will not be able to play games produced for regions other than the one it was produced in.

“Similar to the movie and music industry, games must meet country-specific regulatory guidelines before they are cleared for sale,” said the Microsoft representative“We will continue to work with our partners to follow these guidelines with Xbox One.”

http://www.edge-online.com/news/xbox-one-will-be-region-locked-says-microsoft/

Hardly surprising, but it's not exactly a 'selling point' region-locking never has been, we'll see how E3 goes but I don't think Microsoft are going to do very well at all in Europe - most people in America are clearly going to buy it mainly for its 'TV' capabilities :zzz: - because if it doesn't have any decent games announced, then it most likely won't sell.

Region locking is such bullshit. I still think it's utterly absurd that the 3DS is region locked.

My thoughts:

tumblr_inline_ml0fnfS8tY1qz4rgp.gif

Yeah alright, I'm using too many gifs today.

Honestly, nope, not buying one. There are far too many reasons not to buy one and not enough reasons to buy one. Even with a rainbow asshurt of wonderful looking games, it still wouldn't sway me. I'll be waiting until the hardware changes.