NEurope
Cube

Xbox One Console Discussion

Finally I told my girlfriend about all this new fangled voice tech and she loved it. We constantly have this annoyance of a tv remote, cable remote and ps3 remote/controller in the bed. First world problems I know lol.

Sounds like it's a dildo you need not a new xbox.....

there is also an infra red dongle that has to be lined up with your cable box.

Hmm. I'm going to guess that this is one of those infra-red things you can get in order to put your media boxes inside a cupboard and still use it.

If I had a problem with my remote, my phone is in my pocket. Failing that, my tablet is always nearby. That's three options for controlling my TV (and PS3).

What I really meant was, I like the idea of sitting down to watch TV without having to have my phone, tablet, remote and/or controller there with me ;) Your ease of access to all of the above notwithstanding, I actually hate having so many different devices in my living room.

If I had a problem with my remote, my phone is in my pocket. Failing that, my tablet is always nearby. That's three options for controlling my TV (and PS3).

The heartbeat thing I don't really like the sound of. The vitality sensor sounded stupid and this is no different.

What a wonderful €1000 solution to the problem of looking for your remote.

You know, for someone who constantly complained about journalistic integrity and misinformation about Nintendo, you sure do love jumping on every slight report in the miasma of confusion that Microsoft have created.

Hmm. I'm going to guess that this is one of those infra-red things you can get in order to put your media boxes inside a cupboard and still use it.

I don't know what they are but if there is a second infrared thing pointing back at the tv in the cupboard then yes.

That's what Phil Harrison was touting yesterday but they then denied it.

Personally I think this all looks good for Sony....they are going to likely have to follow the same route. I can't help but feel it's being pushed by the big publishers. By Sony holding back on this Microsoft are taking all the flack. Also EA abandoning the online pass and perhaps the Wii U not having this tech makes me think that has some reasoning behind EA's decision to not support Wii U.

Finally I told my girlfriend about all this new fangled voice tech and she loved it. We constantly have this annoyance of a tv remote, cable remote and ps3 remote/controller in the bed. First world problems I know lol. We've looked at universal remotes and she hates them lol. Also the thought of a more accurate "less shitty" kinect appealed to her. She said a no remote future is the dream. So I guess if there aim is to get into more living rooms then they accomplished in piquing a more casual market, purely single case granted.

vwHuoun.png

So from Small fee to no fee to small fee again to now...full price::shrug:

I like this quote

"I can give that disc to somebody else - maybe my son who has his own Xbox One somewhere else in the house - and he can install and play it on his machine. I can come to your house with that disc, I can install it on your machine and we can play it and while I'm with you we can have all of the capabilities of that game."

Harrison's statement was clarified by Xbox Community Manager Larry Hryb, who said that the player who registered the game on his account can play it on any console he wants as long as he's logged into it.

"The moment I go home and notionally take that disc with me, you no longer have the ability to play that game," Harrison continued. "But the 'bits' are on your hard drive, so if you want to play that game you can buy it - you can go to the online store, buy it and it's instantly unlocked and playable on your machine. All of the privileges I just described in my house would now apply in yours as well."

He described needing to take the disc with you to other peoples consoles and installing it and then you log into your account on your friends X1.

So if that friend then decides (after you leave with your disc) to buy the game and "unlock" the "bits" by buying a full price activation code online... how can they then have all the same "privileges" of being able to play on someone elses X1 without having the disc :heh:

Anyway I only just thought of something, hadn't seen it mentioned (or I missed it)...but is the OS based on Windows 8 then as was expected?

You know, for someone who constantly complained about journalistic integrity and misinformation about Nintendo, you sure do love jumping on every slight report in the miasma of confusion that Microsoft have created.

Please note, I would be doing this if Nintendo were messing up so royally

I don't know what they are but if there is a second infrared thing pointing back at the tv in the cupboard then yes.

That's what Phil Harrison was touting yesterday but they then denied it.

Personally I think this all looks good for Sony....they are going to likely have to follow the same route. I can't help but feel it's being pushed by the big publishers. By Sony holding back on this Microsoft are taking all the flack. Also EA abandoning the online pass and perhaps the Wii U not having this tech makes me think that has some reasoning behind EA's decision to not support Wii U.

No doubt its the publishers pushing this.

Anyway I only just thought of something, hadn't seen it mentioned (or I missed it)...but is the OS based on Windows 8 then as was expected?

Part of it is...It effectively has 3 OS running at once.

Whilst I don't support paying full price again. I do still support them finding ways to make money. I know I'm in the minority of the kind of supporting publishers finding alternative revenue streams. The movie industry has many ways cinema, dvds, tv royalties. Music industry have money spinning tours and mechanise. However videogames don't necessarily have that post product revenue stream and in fact can continue to leak money post launch with servers etc...

It's something the industry was struggling to cope with.

What a wonderful €1000 solution to the problem of looking for your remote.

I'm just going to assume you're not being sarcastic and will actually buy an Xbox One just so you don't have to look for your remote anymore. :p

Please note, I would be doing this if Nintendo were messing up so royally

Jumping on every inaccurate negative report? You're having a laugh. The Wii U is tanking and you still skewer everything to sound positive. A 10 second Google would have shown you just how unreliable the link you posted was.

Hilarious.

If you joined us for the Xbox One reveal yesterday, you'll probably know that amidst all the excitement, we learned that a single Xbox Live Gold membership will cover both the 360 and the next-gen console. Good stuff -- no extra expenditure, subscription sign-ups or other irritations. But, it gets even better, as a couple of Microsoft bigwigs told Polygon that Live memberships can also used by multiple profiles. That means several accounts can be created on one console, for discrete friends lists, personal Home screens and the like, but they'll all be able to feed off the same subscription. We're not sure how this'll work exactly, but it already sounds better than the Gamertag-specific membership model on the 360, which is responsible for far too many amazing kill stats being lost to the dreaded "Guest" account.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/22/x...iple-accounts/

For all we know, shops dealing with used games will be able to buy activation codes for really good prices, and the on-console fee is just so you can't install it and give the game to your friend so he can play it for free.

I'm sure they've thought of relationships with shops. Perhaps they'll even offer gamers the option to buy an "selling code" for a lower price, which would remove it from your console right away, so you can sell it on eBay.

There are still some ways this couldn't be as bad as it sounds.

One thing that is interesting: it sounds like if you trade a game into a store, you'll still be able to play it until someone buys and activates it.

This is what I was getting at in a previous post. They could have a fantastic method up their sleeve.

Although as much as I would love your last point to be true, I reckon you'll have to 'check the game out' of your account upon trade-in.

When online play is free literally everywhere else, you're paying for nothing.

I might be wrong here as I haven't experienced the PlayStation Network in a year an a half. Back then it was awful. It was incredibly disjointed, hard to join people, there was no party system like on the Xbox where you could be doing different things whilst in the same party.

The Xbox Live experience for me, is well worth the money for what is a quality set up. I don't begrudge the little money I pay on it.

As I said, maybe PSN has changed dramatically but that was my experience on it.

vwHuoun.png

Welcome to wonderful world of Scottish accents and voice control.

I might be wrong here as I haven't experienced the PlayStation Network in a year an a half. Back then it was awful. It was incredibly disjointed, hard to join people, there was no party system like on the Xbox where you could be doing different things whilst in the same party.

The Xbox Live experience for me, is well worth the money for what is a quality set up. I don't begrudge the little money I pay on it.

As I said, maybe PSN has changed dramatically but that was my experience on it.

I'm not a massive online gamer - which made paying to play online even more fucking annoying when I just wanted a quick game of L4D out of the blue - but I've never had any major problems with PSN. Yeah, it lacks cross-game chat but I've never noticed these connection issues...since all games handle matchmaking separately and do so with varying success on both platforms (Fuck you Uncharted 3!).

It was most certainly never awful at any point. It worked. Can't say I need much more than that.

I'm not especially discerning when it comes to playing online, so if it never met your standards then that's fair enough. I still don't think that makes it acceptable to charge for it.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-spec-analysis-xbox-one

More than that, the system appears to have been designed with a very specific US focus, where cable TV boxes are the norm. What about TVs with built-in decoders, either terrestrial and satellite in nature? Not everyone wants subscription TV, so not everyone has a set-top box - but they're still enjoying a large range of digital channels and a decent amount of HD programming. Perhaps more pertinently, Microsoft appears to have invested a massive amount in accommodating live TV when the overall trend is moving towards time-shifted viewing and streaming media - something it almost completely ignored in its presentation. It's a very curious decision and a massive gamble

I found this interesting because i'd not considered it, the 3d TV in the living room has freeview HD built in so how will that work on xbox one

I found this interesting because i'd not considered it, the 3d TV in the living room has freeview HD built in so how will that work on xbox one

It probably won't.

I'm not a massive online gamer - which made paying to play online even more fucking annoying when I just wanted a quick game of L4D out of the blue - but I've never had any major problems with PSN. Yeah, it lacks cross-game chat but I've never noticed these connection issues...since all games handle matchmaking separately and do so with varying success on both platforms (Fuck you Uncharted 3!).

It was most certainly never awful at any point. It worked. Can't say I need much more than that.

I'm not especially discerning when it comes to playing online, so if it never met your standards then that's fair enough. I still don't think that makes it acceptable to charge for it.

It was the service and the whole experience I felt I was paying for, not for the privelage of playing online. I don't play games apart from online so I want the process to be as smooth as possible.

Each to their own, if online is an extra to you then I can understand you not wanting to pay for it. Online is exclusively what I do. I haven't even played the single player of the last few COD games.

It was the service and the whole experience I felt I was paying for, not for the privelage of playing online. I don't play games apart from online so I want the process to be as smooth as possible.

Each to their own, if online is an extra to you then I can understand you not wanting to pay for it. Online is exclusively what I do. I haven't even played the single player of the last few COD games.

I just don't know what this 'whole experience' is. I'm not left wanting with PSN. It isn't cumbersome in any way. It just works. I might as well be playing my PC.

Just taken this from the BBC website, regarding Sony's policy:

"Sony, which will show off the PlayStation 4 at next month's E3 event in Los Angeles, has remained fairly tight-lipped on their plans for dealing with pre-owned games.

Its worldwide studios president, Shuhei Yoshida, told news site Eurogamer used games would not be "blocked" on the console, but would not specify whether there would be a fee for using pre-owned titles"

Ah silence doesn't bode well. Anyway that's me speculating of course. Back to Xbox matters, this story is on the BBC main site under a headline "Backlash over Xbox One pre owned games", that's not what they wanted to see!

And also I don't know what's wrong with me, but Don Mattrick's face on the picture and video still on the story just makes me feel so sad, like he's really proud of the One and looks hurt that anyone wouldn't want to support him or it!

...Long day at work :p

Edit: BBC quoting Eurogamer of course, as the exert states!

Edited by Kaepora_Gaebora

On advantage live had over PSN this gen was download speeds. MS didnt bottleneck.