Cube

Xbox One Console Discussion

Recommended Posts

I guess the backwards compatibility just isn't a big draw to me. I'm not much of a retro gamer.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For what its worth, the UI has actually improved a lot. 

Everything is pretty much available when you hit the big X button in the middle of the controller within the sub menu. You don't really have to come out of a game to go 'home' to do anything. 

Party invites, chat, checking achivements, sending messages, settings, it's all there. 

Navigating the UI is still a bit clunky when you are on the home screen, but you don't really ever have to do that. At the end of the day, most people buy one to play the games, not to sift through the UI and it's perfectly serviceable. It also isn't slow like it was previously. Maybe that's just an X thing, or maybe they just improved it? You can really customise what you see on your home screen now and what content you have when you scroll down. So you can 'pin' a certain game underneath your home screen which gives you info on the game itself - where others on your friends list are up to with it, achievements they've unlocked and videos uploaded from members etc. Same with certain friends. Pin them on there and they have their own page / feed. Tells you where they are compared to you on the achievement leaderboard, what their last achievement was, game they are playing etc. 

All good stuff. I think anyway! 

As for exclusives, well there's a fair few but  it depends on what you're after. I know a game like Lucky's Tale will be up your lane @Hero-of-Time you'd eat it up within the day and it's a relaxing yet easy and graphically pretty game that is perfect when you just want something simple.

I'm also a big fan of the game pins on Xbox dashboard too. Having a little thumb nail of all my games looks really good. Particularly for all my Sonic, Reisdent Evil, Forza and Batman games. But I like visual stuff like that. :D 

Also: acheivements >>>> trophies. Soz. :)

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I disagree, it’s still slow even on the X in my experience like loading pictures or the store items, and my internet is quite speedy.

There are some bizarre decisions about it as well. Displaying your email on the dashboard, having to go past Mixer, and like 3 other categories to get to the store. 

Back to saying good things though, I’m off nightshift after tonight and have a 3 day weekend so I’ll probably fire it up and partake in some backwards compatibility. I’ve been wanting to play Black again

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
giphy.gif
You're dead to me.
Fucking hell these GIFs never get old. What a train wreck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Aneres11 said:

For what its worth, the UI has actually improved a lot. 

 Navigating the UI is still a bit clunky when you are on the home screen, but you don't really ever have to do that. At the end of the day, most people buy one to play the games, not to sift through the UI and it's perfectly serviceable. It also isn't slow like it was previously. Maybe that's just an X thing, or maybe they just improved it? You can really customise what you see on your home screen now and what content you have when you scroll down. So you can 'pin' a certain game underneath your home screen which gives you info on the game itself - where others on your friends list are up to with it, achievements they've unlocked and videos uploaded from members etc. Same with certain friends. Pin them on there and they have their own page / feed. Tells you where they are compared to you on the achievement leaderboard, what their last achievement was, game they are playing etc. 

My brother still has one and despite all of the updates I still think it looks a mess. The whole Windows 10 tile thing just doesn't work for me and everything looks too cluttered. You look at the simplicity of the PS4 and Switch Ui's and its something I would really welcome on the One.

9 hours ago, Aneres11 said:

As for exclusives, well there's a fair few but  it depends on what you're after. I know a game like Lucky's Tale will be up your lane @Hero-of-Time you'd eat it up within the day and it's a relaxing yet easy and graphically pretty game that is perfect when you just want something simple.

Yeah, if I had still had a Xbox I would have been all over Super Lucky's Tale. As for everything else, what has there been recently that is exclusive and worth picking up? Nothing really. During my ownership of the One I played through the likes Gears of War 4, Halo 5, Dead Rising 3, Ryse, Killer Instinct, Rare Replay and a couple of Forza games. At the moment, at this has been going on for a while, the system simply doesn't have any killer exclusives. It also doesn't help that Microsoft seem to be pushing the GaaS model with stuff like PUBG, Sea of Thieves and the up and coming Crackdown 3. This model doesn't appeal to me as I much prefer games that are finished and are story driven. Funnily enough Kotaku just wrote a piece about this.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/kotaku-the-difference-between-sony-and-microsoft.35882/

Also, Microsoft seem to have lost a lot of support from Japanese developers this gen. There are a bunch of games which seem to be PS4 exclusive not because of deals that have been made but simply because the developers don't want to support the Xbox platform. 

9 hours ago, Aneres11 said:

Also: acheivements >>>> trophies. Soz. :)

As much as I love them both, there are both equally as pointless as each other. :D Saying that, I do love how the achievement system tracks certain things, like if you need to do an action so many times before the achievement unlocks, the system will keep track and tell you. It comes in really handy for those grindy achievements. I also enjoyed being able to see the achievement friend leaderboard and see who had unlocked the most during that week or month.

 

Despite all these issues, I can see myself getting one. It will just be used for backwards compatibility mainly and then any thing else that may pop up. My mate is also looking to picking one up mainly for the same reasons. He's been wanting to play the likes of Conker and KOTOR for a while now, so now seems like a good time for him to jump in.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I guess the backwards compatibility just isn't a big draw to me. I'm not much of a retro gamer.
Aren't you the guy single handedly keeping the Retro thread alive?
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love the Xbox UI for the exact reasons you hate it lol. I think the PS4 and Switch ones are /so/ simple and boring. I like being able to mindlessly check things out on Mixer and being notified in the corner when there are new deals. Different strokes though. They should definitely let you customise those things in case you do want a simplistic look.

im pumped for them OG Xbox games, especially Conker and it looks so beautiful and is hopefully a bit less clunky than the N64 one in Rare Replay.

How are you all finding GamePass? I liked it before but this month it has been even better. I don’t have enough time to play all the games I’m downloading. I’ve forced myself to stop for at least a few weeks and work my way through lol. I’ve sunk about 15 hours into Cities this month and dabbled in a few others, started up Portal Knights which I’ll be getting knee deep into and been pulling my hair out on Cluster Truck. 

Though I’m glad there has been plenty on offer because it’s done wonders to take my mind off the very underwhelming Sea of Thieves which I was massively pumped for. 

 

Edited by Josh64
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/04/2018 at 10:15 PM, Nolan said:

I disagree, it’s still slow even on the X in my experience like loading pictures or the store items, and my internet is quite speedy.

There are some bizarre decisions about it as well. Displaying your email on the dashboard, having to go past Mixer, and like 3 other categories to get to the store. 

Back to saying good things though, I’m off nightshift after tonight and have a 3 day weekend so I’ll probably fire it up and partake in some backwards compatibility. I’ve been wanting to play Black again

Email on the dashboard? 

Not experienced that personally. Surely that can be turned off? 

Yeah the store being far away is not good. But I disagree that it's slow. 

I do have 200mbps broadband though, not that I think that would make much of a difference to the UI speed. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Aneres11 said:

Email on the dashboard? 

Not experienced that personally. Surely that can be turned off? 

Yeah the store being far away is not good. But I disagree that it's slow. 

I do have 200mbps broadband though, not that I think that would make much of a difference to the UI speed. 

I will add that I've got into 'Achievement hunting' lately and have happily been in the top 3 the last few months but can never quite beat you lol.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Josh64 said:

I will add that I've got into 'Achievement hunting' lately and have happily been in the top 3 the last few months but can never quite beat you lol.

I haven't even really been hunting either ha. I just try and get the most from a game I guess. Plus I've played some easier ones recently like the batman telltale games which are an easy 1000 just for completing the game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I take back what I previously said about 4K Blu-ray playback on the Xbone. It keeps darkening the screen at random now while watching The Last Jedi. Like it’s trying to enter a power saving lowlight mode usually reserved for when the console isn’t being utilized. 

It goes away if I touch the controller, or just ignore it for long enough 15 seconds to 2 minutes, but it might come back in 15 seconds or 15 minutes. Quite bizarre but I haven’t been bothered quite enough to attempt to fix it yet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's April 17th so...

Blinx: The Time Sweeper
Breakdown
Conker: Live & Reloaded
The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
Hunter: The Reckoning
Jade Empire
Panzer Dragoon Orta
SSX 3

All of these games should now be fully playable on your Xbox One. :D

@Hero-of-Time what will you be playing? ;)

Edited by S.C.G
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

None as I don't have a Xbox. :p 

Again?!? I've lost track of how many times you've owned one and gotten rid of it. :p

I bet you pick one up again after E3. :D

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

Again?!? I've lost track of how many times you've owned one and gotten rid of it. :p

I bet you pick one up again after E3. :D

I haven't had a One since the middle of last year. I've also lost track. I honestly can't remember if I've had 2 or 3 of them now...Wait, I think it's 3. I had one at launch, got another for Gears 1 Ultimate edition and then got a S model during Black Friday the year Gears 4 launched.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I haven't had a One since the middle of last year. I've also lost track. I honestly can't remember if I've had 2 or 3 of them now...Wait, I think it's 3. I had one at launch, got another for Gears 1 Ultimate edition and then got a S model during Black Friday the year Gears 4 launched.

So you've sold the console three times? Gee, it's like you don't like it or something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

So you've sold the console three times? Gee, it's like you don't like it or something.

It'll be four times when I buy another one. :D 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

It'll be four times when I buy another one. :D 

I look forward to seeing how you get on with it after you've finished playing your game. Yes, that was meant to be singular. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

I look forward to seeing how you get on with it after you've finished playing your game. Yes, that was meant to be singular. :D

Nah, more than one this time. All the backwards compatability is what has me interested. Plenty of the original Xbox games should keep me busy, plus I wanna play Super Lucky's Tale, Cuphead, Ori and Recore. I should have the thing at least a month. :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Nah, more than one this time. All the backwards compatability is what has me interested. Plenty of the original Xbox games should keep me busy, plus I wanna play Super Lucky's Tale, Cuphead, Ori and Recore. I should have the thing at least a month. :D 

But that's 3 weeks longer than the last one!

Could this be the one you keep? :o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

But that's 3 weeks longer than the last one!

Could this be the one you keep? :o

Probably not. My hatred for it runs deep.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just looking at some screenshots of Conker over on Era. It looks absolutely stunning. The game was always a looker but wow!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites