N-Europe

PlayStation 4 Console Discussion

Retro_Link

Does anyone know if PS4 games will be native 1080p?

Supposedly Killzone is 1080p, but whether or not it's actually full native 1080p or some sort of fakey upscaling, we'll have to see...

BTW, a few tidbits about the Vita remote play...

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2013/02/21/interview-shu.aspx

Q: You showed us how you could use the Vita as a second screen in your living room. Is that local only, or is there any ambition with Gaikai to use that as a server and get further away in the living room?

A: Technically speaking, it works from anywhere, as far as you have a wi-fi connection from your Vita to the PlayStation 4. It needs to be wi-fi. However, for some games, when you play or connect from far away, it accumulates latency. Some games may not be playable, like fighting games or shooting games. But some other slower paced games will be playable. As long as you have home routers anywhere in your home, you can play every PlayStation 4 game. We ask developers when they finish the PlayStation 4 product and submit a master to make sure that they have the appropriate controller mapping to work on PS Vita. All games will work – unless it is a dance game [laughs].

So it's just like the existing Remote Play feature then, the only difference being that every PS4 game supports it and that developers are responsible for custom button mapping to the Vita controls. So there's no secret sauce they have to fix latency issues then and most action titles will suffer in terms of playability, but you can play games over an internet connection if you wish to.

For what it's worth, the native Vita Remote Play (as featured with the GOW and Ico/SOTC collections) is much better than the PSP version. Far from perfect (and 30FPS max), but Ico and SOTC felt playable at least :)

Granted, they're fairly slow paced games and the Remote Play function is no Wii U killer, but the PS4 Remote Play should be useful for slower paced games at least :)

Edited by Dcubed

Supposedly Killzone is 1080p, but whether or not it's actually full native 1080p or some sort of fakey upscaling, we'll have to see...

BTW, a few tidbits about the Vita remote play...

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2013/02/21/interview-shu.aspx

So it's just like the existing Remote Play feature then, the only difference being that every PS4 game supports it and that developers are responsible for custom button mapping to the Vita controls. So there's no secret sauce they have to fix latency issues then and most action titles will suffer in terms of playability, but you can play games over an internet connection if you wish to.

For what it's worth, the native Vita Remote Play (as featured with the GOW and Ico/SOTC collections) is much better than the PSP version. Far from perfect (and 30FPS max), but Ico and SOTC felt playable at least :)

Granted, they're fairly slow paced games and the Remote Play function is no Wii U killer, but the PS4 Remote Play should be useful for slower paced games at least :)

Hence why it will do nothing for the vita. People are not going to buy a vita just for remote play.

Hence why it will do nothing for the vita. People are not going to buy a vita just for remote play.

Those two sentences aren't related. No, it's not going to sell the Vita but it's another string to its bow. With Remote Play and Plus, the Vita is only going to become more tempting.

Those two sentences aren't related. No, it's not going to sell the Vita but it's another string to its bow. With Remote Play and Plus, the Vita is only going to become more tempting.

So Plus has done nothing to increase sales. Need for Speed, COD, ACIII had little effect but now the thing to make it more tempting is remote play?

If thats not going to sell the vita then what is as everything they have tried so far has had such little effect.

No, I'm saying that over time it's going to become more tempting. Can you read?

Not to mention the link with the PS4 means that the Vita is going to have more visibility in terms or marketing. Seriously, as a strategist, your superficial armchair musings make me weep.

No, I'm saying that over time it's going to become more tempting. Can you read?

Not to mention the link with the PS4 means that the Vita is going to have more visibility in terms or marketing. Seriously, as a strategist, your superficial armchair musings make me weep.

Yet the most important thing it needs is console selling games and as long as sales stay in the gutter they are not going to get those titles as publishers wont go near it.

How much time does a console need before it becomes attractive to the consumer. By the time the PS4 drops it would of been out 2 years. I think thats a hell of a long time to wait before you expect people to jump in as well as the PS4 then becoming the core focus.

Edited by liger05

Lots of developer thoughts and opinion here, quite interesting : http://t.co/ONBrZWY5TI - giBIZ

The one that caught my eye aside from dev saying Sony dev tools especially Vita tools, are some of the best tools they have ever used, was the dev who touched on iOS _ Android integration ... tablet those games use swipe and draw controls, so I'm guessing we found the only practical reason that I can see for the touchpad on the controller. It's the Trojan horse into mobile touchscreen Sony development. Could potentially see moderate revenue if they can attach a part licence Indie dev deal on something like say, fruit ninja or angry birds.

Actually, that's another thing that was touched on which could be quite big for a proper console: the open store.

The biggest expense would be the development units, but with the console's hardware very much based on normal PCs, I wonder if there will be a kind of development software which works from a PC for games that are much less complicated (mobile games). Bundle prices set by the developer, and this could potentially be even more appealing than the eShop.

(when we have to clarify if "all platforms" includes the Wii U, you can see it's already starting).

Exactly.

When gamejournalists start answering questions along the lines of 'Will it be on all platforms' with the likes of 'Absolutely, you got PS3 and the PS4, the Xbox 360 and Durango, ....oh yeah and it'll also be on PC further down the road' then that which has been set in motion by the Wii // PS360 gap is still dominant.

Edited by Fused King

Totally agree, and i think its a shrewd move on Sony's part.

the ps4 has become the swiss army knife of consoles, it can do what the wiiu can, and it can do what the next box can, and its only a good thing, and will hurt MS as they have nothing unique anymore, they have become a console of multiplatform games, where as Wiiu and Ps4 will have unique features and unique Ip's

Halo,Gears and Forza cannot carry the nextbox

In a way its like Sony and nintendo have aligned feature wise so they can offer very similar experiences and together put MS out in the cold

I'm a happy gamer, the WiiU is almost everything i want it to be and so is the PS4*

*where the only change i'd have is switched left sticks on the ds4, but who knows that increased bulk might make it comfortable

Not at this stage and it wouldn't be GDDR5. It's more complicated for Microsoft because they don't have a unified pool of RAM. They could up the amount of GDDR3 probably but even that is doubtful, and there's the issue of how much physical space the RAM takes up.

GameSpot asked Sony Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida in a quickfire Q&A not if PS4 would block used games but whether second hand games will require an activation code on the console.

His answer: “It's a publisher decision. We are not talking about it. Sorry.”

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/pre-owned-games-block-on-ps4-is-a-publisher-decision/0111344

Worrying

Sony aren't making it mandatory and I doubt developers would implement it. If Ubisoft are going to respond to a lame hissyfit about a delayed game, do you honestly think a lone developer is going to want to piss off the consumer even more? We've already got online passes and I think everyone is happy with that compromise.

Does anyone know if PS4 games will be native 1080p?

Depends on the game, Killzone is 1080p, but only 30fps. Think of pixels like rupees, you might want to spend your pixels on resolution, or spend them on 60fps, more light sources or explosions and other effects, on screen.

Totally agree, and i think its a shrewd move on Sony's part.

the ps4 has become the swiss army knife of consoles, it can do what the wiiu can, and it can do what the next box can, and its only a good thing, and will hurt MS as they have nothing unique anymore, they have become a console of multiplatform games, where as Wiiu and Ps4 will have unique features and unique Ip's

Halo,Gears and Forza cannot carry the nextbox

In a way its like Sony and nintendo have aligned feature wise so they can offer very similar experiences and together put MS out in the cold

I'm a happy gamer, the WiiU is almost everything i want it to be and so is the PS4*

*where the only change i'd have is switched left sticks on the ds4, but who knows that increased bulk might make it comfortable

Even if the Vita suddenly drops to £100, which it won't, that's still the cost of a ps4 + £100... The Wii U IS the 2nd screen... it's its own ecosystem, right out the box... you can't undermine that.

I can't imagine any game on the PS4 being designed aggressively with a 2nd screen in mind, but like I've said before, it's upto Nintendo to capitalise on the value of that and make the benefits obvious to the consumer.

Are Microsoft now obliged to pack in 8GB of ram in their machine now d'ya reckon?

The rumours already had Durango pegged at having 8GB of DDR3 of which 3GB would be soley dedicated to the OS which is pretty amazing considering the 360 only reserves 32MB of RAM for the OS during gameplay. If anything they would need to add more if PS4 devs have access to 7.5GB at all times.

The RAM on the Durango is still classed as Unified though @Daft - it's like an extension of the 360 already that uses 512 MB GDDR3 and 10MB eDRAM only now it's 8GB of DDR3 and 32MB of sDRAM. The bandwidth limitations of DDR3 though will put even more focus on the sDRAM, like with the Wii U - the eDRAM gave the 360 its edge over the PS3 but this time, it's being used to lessen its disadvantage. And that's where the Data Move Objects come in too.

You say worrying but it's no different to "project 10 dollar" that has been experimented with via 3rd parties for a few years. It's also not something that necessarily applies to PS4 either. Sony may have patented a system for it but its inclusion into the PS4 will only allow devs to do something easier which they could have already done if they wanted anyway.

No matter whether it's just the online side or the full game, the only way to check if a code is valid and not been used is to connect it to an online database and check at which point it matters not whether it's Sony's PSN severs of an independant one licenced by a third party.

that francis video is awesome ilove how he says the share button it sounds like sarah button!

he has a real good point about blizzard

and @madeinbeats, since sony are asking for all games to support remote play and have a vita control scheme, i can see them certainly offering similar experiences, which is a good thing! it means devs will be making games for PS4 AND WiiU, it leave MS and the nextbox as the odd one out, where its versions of games will already have cut features