N-Europe

PlayStation 4 Console Discussion

Retro_Link

Fair enough will keep an open mind but atm a lot of first person games freak me out, ditto horror ones and I find RPGs way too intricate and intimidating. Action/Adventure, puzzles and platformers or mild third person shooter/RPG like Mass Effect works for me.

Ok so I've narrowed down my first game into my PS eduction to four games: the Order, Watch Dogs, Batman or Infamous SS. Leaning towards the Order for the presentation and more sinplistic game play to get me started. Infamous is also tempting though and Batman third in line in my head atm. Any suggestions would be appreciated ! Not so much quality wise, but what would make a good first start.

Just remember that The Order is a VERY cinematic game and isn't for anyone looking for a deep gameplay experience. Some chapters in the game are consisted of just cutscenes. I personally loved it ( I enjoy cutscene heavy games ) but many people don't.

Out of the 4 you listed I would personally go with Infamous SS. It has a good story, fun gameplay, great replay value ( good or evil ) and it uses the PS pad is some neat ways.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

PS4 to get YouTube broadcasting, Communities and more

The PlayStation 4 will get YouTube broadcasting among other new features, according to various reports.

Japanese website PocketNews (via Gematsu) revealed the main features of the 3.00 beta update for PS4 after beta testers leaked the information online.

These details were then corroborated by a Reddit user who published the English language changelog and an image, right, to the PS4 subreddit to support the find.

Headline additions are Events, Communities and a new layout for the message screen.

Communities is an interesting one. It's a feature that lets you find players who have "similar tastes and interests". According to the changelog, you can also play games, join parties or talk about shared interests with members in the community.

You can go to Now Playing to see what games or parties members of the community are playing, and start a game, join a party or send a request to watch a member's gameplay.

Elsewhere, you can broadcast your gameplay on YouTube, and upload video clips to Twitter, with a 10-second limit.

Sony has yet to announce these features, but we imagine it won't be long before it does.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-08-12-ps4-to-get-youtube-broadcasting-communities-and-more

Fair enough will keep an open mind but atm a lot of first person games freak me out, ditto horror ones and I find RPGs way too intricate and intimidating. Action/Adventure, puzzles and platformers or mild third person shooter/RPG like Mass Effect works for me.

Ok so I've narrowed down my first game into my PS eduction to four games: the Order, Watch Dogs, Batman or Infamous SS. Leaning towards the Order for the presentation and more sinplistic game play to get me started. Infamous is also tempting though and Batman third in line in my head atm. Any suggestions would be appreciated ! Not so much quality wise, but what would make a good first start.

I've got/played all four of those games that you mention.

I'll give you the Pros and Cons of each one:

The Order

Pros:

Fantastic graphics and sounds

Excellent story

Gunplay is pretty satisfying

Cons:

It's very linear

There's no replay value (aside from doing the story again)

It's not the longest game in the world

InFAMOUS

Pros:

It's got a fun combat system + good powers

The upgrading aspect to the powers is pretty cool

It's fun and easy to get into

Cons:

I wasn't a fan of the boss fights

It's a first generation PS game, so it won't seem as graphically amazing as the more recent games, although it still does look pretty great.

Watch Dogs

Pros:

I liked the hacking mechanic

There's multiple ways to approach a mission. You can shoot your way through, or go stealth, or use the hacking to do a bit of both.

There's a good range of side missions

Cons:

If you've played many other open world games, it's probably not doing an awful lot new

The storyline/cutscenes aren't that special, but they're not terrible either.

The biggest complaint for many is that it doesn't look as good as it did in that E3 reveal, although I'd still argue that the game looks great.

Batman

Pros:

Excellent combat system

A good story that keeps you on the edge of your seat

The dual-action sequences where you fight alongside other heroes (Catwoman, Robin, Nightwing) are excellent

Cons:

A bit too much Batmobile focus for my liking, but this is down to opinion.

Some of the side missions can be a bit repetitive, but that's down to how you play the game. You could argue that playing a game in biiiig bursts is going to lead to it becoming repetitive.

You should play all four at some point as they are all great games and they are all different to each other.

Aside from Batman, you can probably get them all for cheap now. I'd be tempted to go for inFAMOUS, then The Order, then Watch Dogs before going for Batman. By the time you get to Batman, it'll become cheaper.

Just remember that The Order is a VERY cinematic game and isn't for anyone looking for a deep gameplay experience. Some chapters in the game are consisted of just cutscenes. I personally loved it ( I enjoy cutscene heavy games ) but many people don't.

I think going in expecting it to be a cutscene-heavy linear storytelling game will help, thanks. Happy with both linear or openworld games (the latter, I've never played before).

You should play all four at some point as they are all great games and they are all different to each other.

Aside from Batman, you can probably get them all for cheap now. I'd be tempted to go for inFAMOUS, then The Order, then Watch Dogs before going for Batman. By the time you get to Batman, it'll become cheaper.

Awesome! Ok I'm gonna go with the order you suggest. Batman seems like the most well received of all of them so it'll be good to built up to that. Does it matter that I've never played any of the other previous entries in the series? I suspect it'll be a bit of a problem.

Get Alien. Even if you don't want to. Just get it!

I can recommend a whole host of digital only indie games if you'd like? When I'm less hungover though. :D

But... but...! Seriously though, I played a bit at Eurogamer, really not my kind of thing. I'm a bit of a pussy when it comes to first person games (never been keen), let alone first person survival horror games.

I wouldn't bother with Alien if you don't like tense first person games and aren't a massive fan of the films. You probably wouldn't enjoy it.

Infamous I think is a great game to start with. So is Tomb Raider though, would recommend it as a great game to start with or play after Infamous. :)

I think going in expecting it to be a cutscene-heavy linear storytelling game will help, thanks. Happy with both linear or openworld games (the latter, I've never played before).

Awesome! Ok I'm gonna go with the order you suggest. Batman seems like the most well received of all of them so it'll be good to built up to that. Does it matter that I've never played any of the other previous entries in the series? I suspect it'll be a bit of a problem.

But... but...! Seriously though, I played a bit at Eurogamer, really not my kind of thing. I'm a bit of a pussy when it comes to first person games (never been keen), let alone first person survival horror games.

If you go into The Order 1886 with what you said in mind, you'll have a good time with it. I'm in the "I thought it was great and had a fantastic time" camp. Think it got reviewed very harshly.

Batman is probably the highest-review-scoring one of those four, but it's also the most recent, so therefore most expensive. It looks stunning and should be played. If you're just wanting to get your PS4 experience to a start, I'd get one of the cheaper games first. InFAMOUS ticks all of the right boxes because it's first party, it's pretty damn fun, it's open world/adventure, quite colourful in places. It's an ideal starting point. After that, the world is your oyster.

Get Tomb Raider, though. It's cheap on PSN right now and you would be a lunatic to pass it up.

Alien is sublime and is one of my favourite games/game experiences ever. It's the game that tipped me over the edge to get a PS4. But, I am a massive fan (fanboy) of the series and I would have sold my own mother to play the game. It completely delivered. It's not for everyone. It's very tense, pretty challenging, unforgiving at times and is not a game you can relax to after a long day at work. I'll always recommend it, but you kinda have to know what you're letting yourself in for before getting it.

Bloodborne is very similar. If you're expecting a game that will hold your hand and go easy on you, neither of these two games will do that. If you're after something that is challenging, something with a bit of grit and a game where just getting to the end is a reward in itself, then both of these will do that. I'd keep them in mind for the future, as they are both games that should be played at some point. Alien's sound design is also brilliant. Think it surprised a lot of people. I was relieved to just get a passable Alien game that wasn't a wreck, but we got something that is god-tier.

As for Batman, I didn't play Arkham Asylum and went straight into City. If it helps, there is some sort of double pack coming out containing both Asylum and City at some point. You may want to wait for that first and experience the the series that way.

There will no doubt be others who will disagree and suggest you play Batman or another game first. It's up to you really. Everybody here will no doubt suggest getting Tomb Raider.

What sorta bundle or deal are you going for?

FYI, Watchdogs is only £1 at GAME if you spend £10 or more on preowned games.

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/watchdogs-1-today-only-when-spend-10-more-any-preowned-games-game-2262338

Edit. That means you can get Watchdogs and Tomb Raider for £16!

Buttt...

If he gets InFAMOUS for £16.99, WatchDogs for a quid, he could the get Tomb Raider digitally.

That's all three for less than £30

Sounds a great deal, I'm constantly staggered how cheap these big budget games get after launch. Must just be used to first party Nintendo games not really going down in price.

I think I'll just go with the basic PS4 model, or maybe the Batman bundle. Shame you can't buy the 20th anniversary ones short of spending a grand, it's a beaut.

Sounds a great deal, I'm constantly staggered how cheap these big budget games get after launch. Must just be used to first party Nintendo games not really going down in price.

Yeah, I don't know whether I'm more surprised at Nintendo's games being the same price years after launch or that the prices of other games drop so quickly. Lego City for WiiU is still at full price for example, hence why I've never picked it up.

You'll find that you can build a collection fairly quickly, especially if you don't mind going down the preowned route. I'm grateful for it as it means I can play more games.

@Ronnie, just so you know, Batman has some pretty intense/scary moments scattered throughout the game. Not so much horror, but stuff that will definitely make you jump. ;)

Great game though, and already starting to drop in price. :)

C'maaaaan, that's at the very end of the scary-scale. You're not that bad, are you, @Ronnie? :laughing:

I know which bits @RedShell is referring to. If it's the bit I'm thinking of, it's really well done and adds a lot to the story.

It's what you'd expect from Batman, I guess. A few moments here and there that are a bit dark. :D

Nah I'm sure that'll be fine, I'm not that much of a pussy. It's just the first person spooky that gets me, I just don't like the viewpoint. Probably stems from not being able to see what's behind you till they're in your face and attacking, freaks me out ever since the Quake/Doom days. It's why I'm not going near Minecraft.

Nah I'm sure that'll be fine, I'm not that much of a pussy. It's just the first person spooky that gets me, I just don't like the viewpoint. Probably stems from not being able to see what's behind you till they're in your face and attacking, freaks me out ever since the Quake/Doom days. It's why I'm not going near Minecraft.

You can change to 3rd Person view in Minecraft.

On a quick side-note, does that mean you didn't get into/play the Metroid Prime games..?

Oh I didn't realise you could do that.

And no, not played any of the Prime games although I think I'd be fine with those. Only Metroid I've played are the NES and SNES ones back in the day.

I only ever really played the most out of the first Prime (played bits of the second when a friend brought it around). It's definitely worth trying at some point. Such a great game.

I'd also check out Fusion, which is also very good.

I know that Axiom Verge is meant to be very Metroid-like in a few ways. @Goron_3, did you play this in the end?

I only ever really played the most out of the first Prime (played bits of the second when a friend brought it around). It's definitely worth trying at some point. Such a great game.

I'd also check out Fusion, which is also very good.

I know that Axiom Verge is meant to be very Metroid-like in a few ways. @Goron_3, did you play this in the end?

It's the best Metroid game you'll play this gen.

Don't get Alien unless you want to age considerably.

I stopped playing it as I just couldn't cope with it anymore.

How far did you get?

Just when I thought I knew the game and that it didn't scare me anymore, it does something else to make you realise, "Nope, I own you, bitch."

Love the game. In about a year when my heart has recovered, I'll be going back for a second playthrough.

Out of curiosity, gameplay wise are Infamous missions mostly just about running around and fighting people? Is that the meat of the game, ie. no puzzle solving or anything like that? As opposed to a game like Batman which seems a bit more varied I think?

Out of curiosity, gameplay wise are Infamous missions mostly just about running around and fighting people? Is that the meat of the game, ie. no puzzle solving or anything like that? As opposed to a game like Batman which seems a bit more varied I think?

Yeah, Infamous is more about the combat and how you traverse the city using your different powers.