N-Europe

PlayStation 4 Console Discussion

Retro_Link

What did you think they would change? (Genuine question.)

I don't think you can base anything on the Move bar the basic functionality of the tech because it was poorly supported and not as integrated as it is when it's in the main unit.

Hopefully we'll see gesture on the touchpad for shortcuts. Would be good for JRPGS and games like Skyrim where there are a shit load of spells and crap. A drag and click keyboard too, would be awesome.

Edited by Daft

Unlike you, however, I think the DS3 is a great controller. Never had any issues with it.

I like most of it, I just wouldn't say it's perfect. The left analogue could be switched with the D-pad on account of its far more frequent use. I know from the 360 this feels a lot more natural this way (one of the very few remaining plus points to the 360).

What did you think they would change? (Genuine question.)

I don't think you can base anything on the Move bar the basic functionality of the tech because it was poorly supported and not as integrated as it is when it's in the main unit.

Hopefully we'll see gesture on the touchpad for shortcuts. Would be good for JRPGS and games like Skyrim where there are a shit load of spells and crap.

Same as above regarding the D-pad, additionally I'd take a leaf from the gamecube controller ergonomic design to make it delightfully comfortable to hold. I'd probably add a button that launches the friend list, and make the triggers feel a bit more natural. All in all, not too much.

Edited by Sheikah

But potentially those changes have been made, bar the friends list button.

And the d-pad, I'd rather the sticks not be switch, so it's obviously down to personal preference and I'd much rather Sony stick with a design that has worked for them than bug people who like it the way it is. I actually get why some people don't like it. I used to hate it but now it makes more sense to me than the other way around. I guess I'm used to it. But then I can happily use any mainstream controller from the past 25 years, so I don't really get how people get things like cramp in their hands. My hands are massive, maybe that's an advantage.

Edit: Comparison picture.

A Closer Look at the PlayStation 4 Controller Prototype

Controller_spelling-copy.jpg

Edited by Daft

Also having the PS home button thing on the 'slant' would make it face you when you're holding it in a relaxed posture, wouldn't it?

As a 360-er I think the pad looks plenty comfortable in this bulkier version. Combined with the stupid nextbox rumours, I'm taking a shine to this turncoat option. If I can get PS3 games somehow at a reasonable price, then I'm sold... But only sold in like 3 years time when it's affordable.

It looks fine to me, but I'm wondering how bulky it is. Layout's pretty much the same even with the new additions, so just waiting to hear on whether it's actually comfortable or not.

The only thing I'm not too keen on is the D-Pad. I only really had a problem with the lack of triggers for shoulder buttons and the analog stick placement for the Dual Shock series.

I'm not sure i care what the controller looks like, as long as it's comfortable. It's not like you spend much time looking at it when you're playing.

The bulky thing is only a problem if it's too heavy, but i'm sure they'll have dealt with that.

that controller looks like some of the third party products produced for the ps3 by the likes of Power-A and Gioteck..............

And i love that! my sixaxis is in a box somewhere and i've replaced it with a gioteck GX-2 and/or a GC-2 (the latter allows trigger swapping via a switch so is my fps controller of choice)

my main issues with the DS3/Sixaxis is its small size and stick placement, with a fatter pad the stick placement might be more comfortable for me.

I'm happy, and i'm sure the final version will be a bit more polished

41939-ps-eyepad-1.jpg

So, some speculation. Someone pointed out something kind of interest, that those two little squares either side of the controller aren't buttons and that they are actually cameras...like in the patent above.

244985-ibb.jpg

If this were true, the space above the controller would be able to track movement in 3D space, of say a hand and fingers (the cameras picking up the move can also do body tracking). In combination with the Move integration meaning the controller is pin-pointed by the machine you have a relatively cheap way to do some hand waving, finger sensitive stuff.

Now, yeah, motion blah, waving and shit is utter blah - this is how you integrate something like Wonderbook - which has a lot of positive press and potential into the PS3 without the need for Move.

It also opens up the potential for eye-tracking.

Edited by Daft

They're a bit too set into the controller to be buttons. Maybe they are toying with just having the PS Button and integrating all the functionality into that on an OS level. It would make sense to refine it like that because at the moment there is a grey area between what the start button and the PS button does.

They're a bit too set into the controller to be buttons. Maybe they are toying with just having the PS Button and integrating all the functionality into that on an OS level. It would make sense to refine it like that because at the moment there is a grey area between what the start button and the PS button does.

Start menu - the in-game menu with game-related options.

PS Button - An extremely laggy XMB.

Still, it would be interesting if the PS button brought up the game menu where a button press moved seamlessly to the PS4's options/games list and stuff like that. Although I'm not sure how that would work for games with complex start menus like Fallout (then again, Skyrim moved that to the B button).

I'd be surprised, that'd be one hell of a waste of an input.

Start menu - the in-game menu with game-related options.

PS Button - An extremely laggy XMB.

Still, it would be interesting if the PS button brought up the game menu where a button press moved seamlessly to the PS4's options/games list and stuff like that. Although I'm not sure how that would work for games with complex start menus like Fallout (then again, Skyrim moved that to the B button).

I suspect laggy menus won't be a problem on a new machine. I see what you're saying, I think you're right - I'm just not convinced what everyone thinks is the Start/Select button are actually buttons.

Also, could probably drop the Select button quite easily.