Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

General Gaming Sales/Charts Discussion

2nd June 2014 – On 30th May, Mario Kart 8 for Wii U launched simultaneously around the world to global acclaim, garnering some of the strongest review scores in the history of the series. Following this, Nintendo has today reported that the game sold more than 1.2 million* total units across Japan, Europe and The Americas from Thursday, 29th May to Sunday, 1st June.**

"Such positive early feedback for Mario Kart 8 reinforces the great gameplay experiences that Wii U currently offers," said Nintendo of Europe president Satoru Shibata. "With Nintendo set to showcase its future releases at E3 next week, this is a great milestone going into the summer season."

Prior to Mario Kart 8, the seven titles that have launched previously in the series have combined to sell more than 100 million total units, an average of more than 14 million units per title. This includes two of the best-selling video games of all time: Mario Kart Wii for Wii and Mario Kart DS for the Nintendo DS family of systems.

Very healthy start.

Well isn't that great news! Really hope not only has it pushed hardware sales along, but that it keeps momentum up too! Nintendo has to have a big e3 now, capitalise on this...

I'm sure Ubisoft won't be crying into their champagne given the brilliant success of Watch Dogs, but have they missed a Nintendo trick again? This is purely my opinion, but I reckon Rayman Legends would have sold a lot more had it met its original Wii U exclusive release date, as we were crying out for games at the time! (Who said "we still are"?!...)

However with an up turn in Wii U sales this week, how many Wii U versions of the game could they have sold with people picking up Mario Kart bundle and thinking "ooh I've seen Watch Dogs advertised on the telly, I'll pick that up as well." Again, it's done so well I'm sure they couldn't give a hoot, however if they were ever going to sell well on a Nintendo console it would have been a good idea to piggy back off of MK surely? Instead of releasing it months later when all they hype has died down

Well isn't that great news! Really hope not only has it pushed hardware sales along, but that it keeps momentum up too! Nintendo has to have a big e3 now, capitalise on this...

I'm sure Ubisoft won't be crying into their champagne given the brilliant success of Watch Dogs, but have they missed a Nintendo trick again? This is purely my opinion, but I reckon Rayman Legends would have sold a lot more had it met its original Wii U exclusive release date, as we were crying out for games at the time! (Who said "we still are"?!...)

However with an up turn in Wii U sales this week, how many Wii U versions of the game could they have sold with people picking up Mario Kart bundle and thinking "ooh I've seen Watch Dogs advertised on the telly, I'll pick that up as well." Again, it's done so well I'm sure they couldn't give a hoot, however if they were ever going to sell well on a Nintendo console it would have been a good idea to piggy back off of MK surely? Instead of releasing it months later when all they hype has died down

I think you make some good points but unfortunately the sales of Ubisoft titles like Splinter Cell, Assassins Creed and Zombi U told Ubisoft that the Wii U isnt really a viable platform to shift games which appeal to the core gamers.

That's insane!! I was also under the impression it would just get over a million in it's lifetime, given the sales of other big Wii U titles like Mario 3D World and Nintendo Land. I guess it's easy to forget how much of an impact Mario Kart Wii and DS had, I think they really re-invigorated Mario Kart and bought it back into the public eye. Definitely much bigger now than it was in the 64/GC era.

So, is Mario Kart officially bigger than the typical 3D Mario adventure? I think so. Especially considering the Wii sales of Galaxy 1 and 2 to Mario Kart Wii.

I hope it can continue! And wtf, they hope to reveal more stuff at E3 NEXT WEEK? Am I reading this wrong or is E3 really next week? Geez, I've had my head in the clouds lately...

True, they've given the Wii U a bigger go than most and been left with burnt fingers, so it's understandable they focused on the other releases first.

Just reading that apparently Polygon estimated that Mario Kart 8 would sell 1.26 Million in its life time...it took 3 days!

I think MK7 to the 3DS and now MK8 show just how important the franchise is and going forward I would look at getting them out as launch titles for the hardware.

That's insane!! I was also under the impression it would just get over a million in it's lifetime, given the sales of other big Wii U titles like Mario 3D World and Nintendo Land. I guess it's easy to forget how much of an impact Mario Kart Wii and DS had, I think they really re-invigorated Mario Kart and bought it back into the public eye. Definitely much bigger now than it was in the 64/GC era.

So, is Mario Kart officially bigger than the typical 3D Mario adventure? I think so. Especially considering the Wii sales of Galaxy 1 and 2 to Mario Kart Wii.

I hope it can continue! And wtf, they hope to reveal more stuff at E3 NEXT WEEK? Am I reading this wrong or is E3 really next week? Geez, I've had my head in the clouds lately...

SM3DW was never the type of game that was going to sell units though as it was a multiplayer Mario title, much like NSMBU. It's more the type of game that that people that own the console will buy, unlike games single player Mario titles (64, Galaxy) which people rush to buy. In the same vein, Donkey Kong will sell a decent amount overall but it was never going to sell any hardware units unfortunately.

Let's hope E3 brings more system seller announcements :)

The Watch_Dogs sales can be broken down to:

X1: 105k

360: 51k

So Mario Kart 8 sold between 51k and 105k units.

Units, *82%, /666%?

51k,42k WiiUs,6.2k previous sales?

78k,64k WiiUs,9.5k previous sales?

105k,86k WiiUs, 12.9k previous sales?

Ouch, I thought the Wii U would see a bigger bump this week in Japan

Wii U 19,312

3DS LL 18,776

Vita 12,859

PS3 6,922

PS4 6,508

3DS 4,957

PSP 1,421

Vita TV 1,098

Xbox 360 225

Mario Kart did do 350,000ish though but damn.

Ouch, I thought the Wii U would see a bigger bump this week in Japan

Wii U 19,312

3DS LL 18,776

Vita 12,859

PS3 6,922

PS4 6,508

3DS 4,957

PSP 1,421

Vita TV 1,098

Xbox 360 225

Mario Kart did do 350,000ish though but damn.

It’s like the GC. Software can sell very well but hardware sales not really changing that much.

I think the whole ‘Wait till MK8 drops, wait till Smash Bros drops’ talk needs to stop. The GC had those titles and it didn’t do that console much good. The Wii U is toxic and will be lucky to do 20 mil lifetime.

It’s like the GC. Software can sell very well but hardware sales not really changing that much.

I think the whole ‘Wait till MK8 drops, wait till Smash Bros drops’ talk needs to stop. The GC had those titles and it didn’t do that console much good. The Wii U is toxic and will be lucky to do 20 mil lifetime.

Yeah, the Wii brand has been dead for years tbh. No game is going to 'save it', but at least Nintendo can make some money off of it.

Yeah, the Wii brand has been dead for years tbh. No game is going to 'save it', but at least Nintendo can make some money off of it.

Yeah, the Wii U is profitable now, that's the main thing.

Let's not think this is a Wii U issue either, just look at the other consoles. The whole of Japan seems to have given up on console gaming.

Yeah, the Wii U is profitable now, that's the main thing.

Let's not think this is a Wii U issue either, just look at the other consoles. The whole of Japan seems to have given up on console gaming.

Took the PS4 15 weeks to reach a level it took the PS3 two years to get to, and the PS3 didn't start out well.

Japan is dying, with smartphones taking over. It's quite sad.