N-Europe

General Gaming Sales/Charts Discussion

There are also reports that PS4 has already outsold the Wii U in the UK. Quite sad, really, but I'm not too surprised. When I went into Game in Southampton on Saturday, Xbox/Playstation had one wall each, with the till point at the end of the store. And whether it's GAME itself or under policy from Sony/Microsoft, their sections were merchandised really well, with large displays really enforcing the brand of Xbox/Playstation. In contrast, Wii U had a small shelving area in the middle, less space afforded to it than Skylanders. Unfortunately, anyone who walks into the shop without any prior knowledge of the Wii U will really think there are only two options - Playstation or Xbox.

So Mario charted @ 14th in the charts. Was behind knack but knack was included in PS4 bundles.

Still Mario charting @ 14 is not great.

There are also reports that PS4 has already outsold the Wii U in the UK. Quite sad, really, but I'm not too surprised. When I went into Game in Southampton on Saturday, Xbox/Playstation had one wall each, with the till point at the end of the store. And whether it's GAME itself or under policy from Sony/Microsoft, their sections were merchandised really well, with large displays really enforcing the brand of Xbox/Playstation. In contrast, Wii U had a small shelving area in the middle, less space afforded to it than Skylanders. Unfortunately, anyone who walks into the shop without any prior knowledge of the Wii U will really think there are only two options - Playstation or Xbox.

Retail is not interested in Wii U.. It's done in the UK

So Mario charted @ 14th in the charts. Was behind knack but knack was included in PS4 bundles.

Still Mario charting @ 14 is not great.

To be fair, it was the launch day of a new console. If it was even next week, it'd have charted a lot higher...well into the Top 10

Launch days always (except with the Wii U because the UK sucks) dominate the charts, especially as the PS4 is the fastest selling console in UK history. It's only logical.

Knack charted higher because it was bundled, and was the only bundle many places got so if you went in wanting a PS4, it was either that, or nothing at all.

All is lost, Nintendo is doomed, proper high quality gaming is nearly dead as non "AAA" movie games are actively shat on and destroyed at retail.

3DS is our only solace, but that won't last forever.

Pack it up, it's all over :cry: Wii U will be gone by this time next year and Nintendo/Platinum will go down with it as Iwata gets kicked out and the company gets destroyed...

It's indies or nothing from this point onward...

14? A here, stick a fork in it, it's done. Seriously, wtf?

14 on a week where there was a console launch which filled out the Top 10 with its titles. It'd have been higher normally. Chill

All is lost, Nintendo is doomed, proper high quality gaming is nearly dead as non "AAA" movie games are actively shat on and destroyed at retail.

3DS is our only solace, but that won't last forever.

Pack it up, it's all over :cry: Wii U will be gone by this time next year and Nintendo/Platinum will go down with it as Iwata gets kicked out and the company gets destroyed...

It's indies or nothing from this point onward...

Careful, you might over-react :p

PS4 has become the fastest selling console in the UK beating the PSP record of 185,000.

As well as selling more than the Wii LTD in 2 days.

Knack charted higher than Mario.

Sony’s PS4 has well and truly landed, becoming the fastest selling video game console in UK history. It overturns the 8 year record held by the original PSP and eclipses the launch week sales of both PS3 and Xbox One. ‘Call of Duty: Ghosts’ (+33%) returns to No1 outselling ‘FIFA 14’ (-0%) by just over 6,000 units this week.

After being heavily boosted by the Xbox One Day 1 Edition bundles last week, ‘FIFA 14’ has to settle for second place in the All Formats Chart despite strong sales on PS4. ‘Battlefield 4’ (+85%) holds on to No3 ahead of top selling PS4 exclusive title ‘Killzone: Shadow Fall’ at No4.

The official PS4 Killzone hardware bundles help give Sony’s title the edge over EA in the PS4 chart with ‘FIFA 14’ at No2 and ‘Battlefield 4’ at No3, while ‘Call of Duty: Ghosts’ and ‘Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag’ sit at No’s 4 and 5 respectively.

Every title in the All Formats Top 10 is on PS4 apart from ‘Grand Theft Auto V’ (+92%) at No7 and ‘Batman: Arkham Origins’ (+155%) at No10. All Top 10 titles increase sales this week with only sales of FIFA 14 remaining flat. ‘Assassin’s Creed IV’ (+19%) drops one place to No5 ahead of ‘Lego Marvel Super Heroes’ (+39%), a non-mover at No6. It might not be on the latest formats, but sales of ‘GTA V’ still jump by 92% this week, helping it climb one place to No7.

However, PS4 software sales have certainly helped ‘Need for Speed: Rivals’ (+159%) which jumps into the Top 10, up from No13 to No8. ‘Just Dance 2014’ (+127%) is also out on PS4, but it’s a rise in sales on Wii that propels it into the Top 10, up from No14 to No9.

It looks like Black Friday retailer promotions have been working their magic on certain titles with ‘Batman: Arkham Origins’ also back in the Top 10, up from No16 to No10. Other than Killzone, there are three more new titles that make appearances in the Top 40 this week: PS4 exclusive ‘Knack’ debuts at No13, ahead of ‘Super Mario 3D World’ on Wii U at No14 and ‘Injustice: Gods Among Us – Ultimate Edition’ at No38.

Top 40 Entertainment Software (All Prices), Week Ending 30 November 2013

CALL OF DUTY: GHOSTS - ACTIVISION BLIZZARD

FIFA 14 - ELECTRONIC ARTS

BATTLEFIELD 4 - ELECTRONIC ARTS

KILLZONE: SHADOW FALL - SONY COMPUTER ENT.

ASSASSIN'S CREED IV: BLACK FLAG - UBISOFT

LEGO MARVEL SUPER HEROES - WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE

GRAND THEFT AUTO V - TAKE 2

NEED FOR SPEED: RIVALS - ELECTRONIC ARTS

JUST DANCE 2014 - UBISOFT

BATMAN: ARKHAM ORIGINS - WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE

SKYLANDERS SWAP FORCE - ACTIVISION BLIZZARD

MINECRAFT: XBOX 360 EDITION - MICROSOFT

KNACK - SONY COMPUTER ENT.

SUPER MARIO 3D WORLD - NINTENDO

FORZA MOTORSPORT 5 - MICROSOFT

DISNEY INFINITY - DISNEY INTERACTIVE STUDIOS

THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: LINK BETWEEN WORLDS - NINTENDO

DEAD RISING 3 - MICROSOFT

TOMB RAIDER - SQUARE ENIX EUROPE

FOOTBALL MANAGER 2014 - SEGA

ANGRY BIRDS STAR WARS - ACTIVISION BLIZZARD

WWE 2K14 - TAKE 2

RAYMAN LEGENDS - UBISOFT

RYSE: SON OF ROME - MICROSOFT

HALO 4 - MICROSOFT

NBA 2K14 - TAKE 2

POKEMON X - NINTENDO

POKEMON Y - NINTENDO

MARIO KART 7 - NINTENDO

LEGO BATMAN 2: DC SUPER HEROES - WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE

ANIMAL CROSSING: NEW LEAF - NINTENDO

F1 2013 - CODEMASTERS

THE LAST OF US - SONY COMPUTER ENT.

SAINTS ROW IV - KOCH MEDIA

PROFESSOR LAYTON AND THE AZRAN LEGACY - NINTENDO

LEGO THE LORD OF THE RINGS - WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE

TEARAWAY - SONY COMPUTER ENT.

INJUSTICE: GODS AMONG US ULTIMATE ED. - WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE

MOSHI MONSTERS: KATSUMA UNLEASHED - MIND CANDY

TOM CLANCY'S SPLINTER CELL: BLACKLIST – UBISOFT

Wii U is toast in the UK

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/ps4-has-sold-over-250k-ps4s-in-the-uk/0125169

Over 250k PS4 consoles were sold in the UK in the machine’s first 48 hours on sale.

Retail sources have confirmed the extent of PS4’s tremendous performance to MCV following Chart-Track’s confirmation this morning that PS4 is the UK’s fastest selling console ever.

MCV estimates that UK PS4 sales reached approximately £87m during this period.

Xbox One sold in the region of 150k units in its first 48 hours on sale.

This means that the current-gen trio (which until recently referred to as ‘next-gen’) already enjoys an install base of around 600k units in the UK. Both PS4 and Xbox have already comfortably outsold Nintendo’s Wii U, which was released in the UK over a year ago.

Remember those excuses for the poor wii u launch sales. Blown out of the water in the space of two weeks.

Edited by liger05

That's some nice usage of negative space in that there GIF.

I ended up with Killzone, Need for Speed, AC IV, Knack and Marvel Lego for the PS4. Absolutely loving Killzone to an unreal degree. Haven't even opened AC IV yet.

I got KZ yesterday. Graphics are stunning.

I only got it cos digital copy from Amazon.com works out to £36 which I was happy to pay rather than the PSN price or retail over here.

- 1 KILLZONE: SHADOW FALL PS4 SONY COMPUTER ENT. SONY COMPUTER ENT.

13 2 FIFA 14 PS4 EA SPORTS ELECTRONIC ARTS

3 3 CALL OF DUTY: GHOSTS XB360 ACTIVISION ACTIVISION BLIZZARD

- 4 BATTLEFIELD 4 PS4 EA GAMES ELECTRONIC ARTS

36 5 CALL OF DUTY: GHOSTS PS4 ACTIVISION ACTIVISION BLIZZARD

17 6 ASSASSIN'S CREED IV: BLACK FLAG PS4 UBISOFT UBISOFT

9 7 FIFA 14 XB360 EA SPORTS ELECTRONIC ARTS

7 8 CALL OF DUTY: GHOSTS PS3 ACTIVISION ACTIVISION BLIZZARD

1 9 FIFA 14 XB ONE EA SPORTS ELECTRONIC ARTS

16 10 GRAND THEFT AUTO V XB360 ROCKSTAR TAKE 2

- 11 NEED FOR SPEED: RIVALS PS4 EA GAMES ELECTRONIC ARTS

18 12 BATTLEFIELD 4 XB360 EA GAMES ELECTRONIC ARTS

23 13 JUST DANCE 2014 WII UBISOFT UBISOFT

12 14 MINECRAFT: XBOX 360 EDITION XB360 MICROSOFT MICROSOFT

21 15 GRAND THEFT AUTO V PS3 ROCKSTAR TAKE 2

19 16 FIFA 14 PS3 EA SPORTS ELECTRONIC ARTS

5 17 CALL OF DUTY: GHOSTS XB ONE ACTIVISION ACTIVISION BLIZZARD

- 18 KNACK PS4 SONY COMPUTER ENT. SONY COMPUTER ENT.

11 19 LEGO MARVEL SUPER HEROES XB360 WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE

- 20 SUPER MARIO 3D WORLD WII U NINTENDO NINTENDO

15 21 ASSASSIN'S CREED IV: BLACK FLAG XB360 UBISOFT UBISOFT

2 22 FORZA MOTORSPORT 5 XB ONE MICROSOFT MICROSOFT

25 23 BATTLEFIELD 4 PS3 EA GAMES ELECTRONIC ARTS

- 24 LEGO MARVEL SUPER HEROES PS4 WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE

34 25 BATMAN: ARKHAM ORIGINS XB360 WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE

4 26 BATTLEFIELD 4 XB ONE EA GAMES ELECTRONIC ARTS

8 27 THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: LINK BETWEEN WORLDS 3DS NINTENDO NINTENDO

6 28 DEAD RISING 3 XB ONE MICROSOFT MICROSOFT

22 29 ASSASSIN'S CREED IV: BLACK FLAG PS3 UBISOFT UBISOFT

28 30 SKYLANDERS SWAP FORCE WII SKYLANDERS ACTIVISION BLIZZARD

- 31 BATMAN: ARKHAM ORIGINS PS3 WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE

20 32 LEGO MARVEL SUPER HEROES PS3 WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE

30 33 FOOTBALL MANAGER 2014 PC SEGA SEGA

32 34 TOMB RAIDER XB360 SQUARE ENIX SQUARE ENIX EUROPE

10 35 RYSE: SON OF ROME XB ONE MICROSOFT MICROSOFT

33 36 HALO 4 XB360 MICROSOFT MICROSOFT

26 37 POKEMON X 3DS NINTENDO NINTENDO

27 38 POKEMON Y 3DS NINTENDO NINTENDO

29 39 SKYLANDERS SWAP FORCE XB360 SKYLANDERS ACTIVISION BLIZZARD

- 40 MARIO KART 7 3DS NINTENDO NINTENDO

Chart information Copyright UKIE

Thats low for Mario. Outsold by Lego Marvel Superheroes on the 360 which has been out for 3 weeks.

Edited by liger05

That's some nice usage of negative space in that there GIF.

I ended up with Killzone, Need for Speed, AC IV, Knack and Marvel Lego for the PS4. Absolutely loving Killzone to an unreal degree. Haven't even opened AC IV yet.

You should. It's a fantastic game. It looks amazing, too.

That's really quite damning for the Wii U, that the PS4 outsold a year's worth of sales in one day. Those sales are really impressive.

Embarassing and should tell Nintendo people wanted a next gen console and not an underpowered machine which the Wii U is.

Embarassing and should tell Nintendo people wanted a next gen console and not an underpowered machine which the Wii U is.

To be fair the last generation told Nintendo they didn't care about power as long as they had innovation and fun software to play, at an affordable price point.

I would say it has nothing to do with the power of the thing, more that instead of following a successful formula they just couldn't work out what they wanted and left themselves sat in the middle, with no clear direction!

Still, what's more concerning is that the PSP had the biggest launch in the UK before PS4 ;) and @Serebii's sweeping statement about the One being a shoddy piece of kit, it's a good console! :D

Their success with the Wii was down to having a cool method of playing their sports game that no one had ever seen before, which was a lot of fun at the time. Fast forward 6-7 years and now all consoles have their take on it, with Kinect arguably being the most impressive and attractive to the consumer.

With nothing to distinguish them this time, and with the 'must-have' feature of the Wii no longer considered to be as cool, their console will be judged on what else it offers. Aside from the gamepad, which isn't really a must-have feature, it doesn't really have a unique selling point not does it do multiformat games the best. I really do think that when people buy a new console they want a large graphical/processing leap from the previous generation. It's the same sort of buzz people get when they upgrade a new phone or car. You want to feel like what you're getting is newer and more technologically advanced than the last.

To be fair the last generation told Nintendo they didn't care about power as long as they had innovation and fun software to play, at an affordable price point.

I would say it has nothing to do with the power of the thing, more that instead of following a successful formula they just couldn't work out what they wanted and left themselves sat in the middle, with no clear direction!

Still, what's more concerning is that the PSP had the biggest launch in the UK before PS4 ;) and @Serebii's sweeping statement about the One being a shoddy piece of kit, it's a good console! :D

Wii was lightning in a bottle. Wii Sports was the reason and that was impossible take to repeat.

I remember the hype before the PSP launched. It was a big thing and no surprise it flew off the shelves. At that time handheld gaming was very popular and on the back of the PS2 sony was releasing a powerful handheld to take on Nintendo.

I really do think that when people buy a new console they want a large graphical/processing leap from the previous generation. It's the same sort of buzz people get when they upgrade a new phone or car. You want to feel like what you're getting is newer and more technologically advanced than the last.

Consoles are no different to phones, computers, tablets, tv's etc. People like new like to purchase new products which are more advanced than previous entries. This idea which some people seem to have that Nintendo releasing a console similar to the 360/PS3 was fine as only a small percent of people care about graphics is laughable. We have just seen Sony sell 1 mil PS4's in 1 day in the US and 250k in the UK. Now lets imagine the PS4 was released with a minisucle hardware upgrade to the PS3 do people really think they would of shifted so many consoles so early?

People have been starved for a next gen console due to the previous generation being so long. I have said it before but the market was ripe for Nintendo to get a good headstart on Sony and MS, they just needed to realise the right product but they blew it. I fail to see how a console which would of been clearly more powerful than than the 360/PS3 and one which provided services similar to the others being sold for £250 - £350 wouldnt of sold way better than the Wii U has done.

Never going to happen. All Wii U needs is moderate sales and to be profitable, then people will shut the hell up...which is REALLY necessary around the Internet.

I really do agree.

It could be a reasonable boost in sales, but I'm not sure if it would sell enough to steal the thunder from the other consoles once the stock issues are taken care of.

How do you define reasonable boost in sales? As a relative or absolute? Tbh ANY improvement for Wii U saleswise would be huge given the numbers so far. It needs to survive enough that not everybody bar Nintendo give up on it - really don't see what happened to their big helping indies plan(the way forward for wii u content imo).

It has apparently outsold the Wii U in the UK already. One day Vs One year! Crazy.

But...games sell consoles, right? So we just need to get the games on the Wii U and all will be fine...right? RIGHT?

Tbh I am entirely unsurprised and already half expected PS4 to blitz the Wii U sales, supply pending. Didn't think a day would quite get it done, but no more than the xmas period at most.

we could all spend the rest of our lives trying to work out out why Wii U has not sold and PS4 and Xbox1 have. The problem is most of the arguments on here are completely contradictory. There really is no logical explanation to it.

"Wii U is too similar to Wii" - PS4 is too similar to PS3. If they had called it something different and it had not sold, everybody would be saying, they should have kept the Wii name like Playstation or Xbox.

"The gamepad is not a must have feature and made it too expensive" - What must have feature does PS4 have. The gamepad offers something that PS4 and Xbox1 don't and it's the cheapest console. In what parallel universe is having a tablet included in your console not as good as not having a tablet.

Games sell consoles and Wii U does not have any games. What did PS4 launch with that is not already available? I'm sure 1 million people bought one for Knack.

I could go on and on. People on here just come out with anything they want, no matter how nonsensical it is and because the sales figures are what they are, people just assume they must be right.

"Wii U is too similar to Wii" - PS4 is too similar to PS3. If they had called it something different and it had not sold, everybody would be saying, they should have kept the Wii name like Playstation or Xbox.

I'm starting to think this is now being used too much of an excuse and lets nintendo off the hook. I dont belive after 1 year people are that stupid and dont know the Wii U exists and is a new console they just dont care.

"The gamepad is not a must have feature and made it too expensive" - What must have feature does PS4 have. The gamepad offers something that PS4 and Xbox1 don't and it's the cheapest console. In what parallel universe is having a tablet included in your console not as good as not having a tablet.

The 360/PS3 are similar to the Wii U with a bigger library of games and are cheaper.

As for the tablet controller. How about people who dont want that and just want to use a standard controller? Its not a tablet and if you compare it to a tablet it loses. Worse screen, worse battery, lack of multi touch etc etc.

Games sell consoles and Wii U does not have any games. What did PS4 launch with that is not already available? I'm sure 1 million people bought one for Knack.

Its called pent up demand after being starved of a next gen console for the last 2/3 years. Historically a generation would last 4/5 years. This one went much longer than that and people were hungry for next gen machines. I dont think those gamers see the Wii U as a next gen machine.

It's a bad day to be a Nintendo gamer indeed, and whilst I can't really feel for Nintendo with the Wii U (because their marketing has been a complete and utter disgrace) I do think Mario deserved to chart a lot higher, from what I've played, it's fantastic.

But again, what were Nintendo thinking? Oh yeah, let's just release it on the same day as the biggest console release in years.

Jesus christ. I really don't know what happened to them since the Wii era. It's like when 2010 was over they forgot how to do consoles.

I mean really, I knew the Wii U was doing bad, but ONE DAY. At least they made the UK online store, eh? I doubt many other places will want to stock their stuff :p