N-Europe

The 'Other' Wii U Thread

Daft

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All Motorstorms have full 4-player local multiplayer.

A quick search tells me that there are 5 games, and the first one did not support local multiplayer. Yeah, that was the one. It doesn't really matter, I just wanted to know.

And then it's the same old Wario, Kirby and Donkey Kong. It doesn't matter that the mechanics are wildly different - if they have that much faith in some new game mechanics why do they play it safe an skin it with their same old tired, nay knackered, imagery.

Isn't that like saying Paper Mario is the same old Mario, though? What difference does a name make when the feel is completely different from the predecessors? I'd argue there are more similarities between Mario Sports titles and Wii Sports than there are between traditional Kirby and Epic Yarn.

Honestly, I have no idea why this is so hard to explain. I mean it is literally hard to explain. Maybe the example of The Last of Us and Beyond being released in the PS3's final year as the current gen console for Sony shows a commitment that Nintendo haven't shown in a very long time.

You know, I'm not even arguing whether what Nintendo or Sony do. All I'm saying is that there are offers on the Wii beyond what is arbitrarily classified as "AAA games". You don't like them, ok, but they're still there, and plenty like them. That's fair.

My point is that judging a console's worth based on the small handful of big-name games is short-sighted. Like I said, it's like judging the PS3 on 3 or 4 arbitrarily chosen games/series from its library. Or judging the entirety of the RPG genre based on Final Fantasy alone (this isn't directed towards you, I've literally seen people say that FF12 was revolutionary because it had real-time battles, and that FF13 marked the death of the entire genre).

I guess those 'other' games are always going to be asides. Like I think Elefunk on PSN is brilliant. Came out during the very early days of PSN and I'm sure 99% of people here haven't even heard of it, but I wouldn't even bother to mention it. If you have the console, yeah, cool, worth a punt, but it's just not...wordsfailingme...Like I said, hard to explain. I get you. I just need games to be more ambitious than can be achieved on the Wii or Wii U.

...or something.

A quick search tells me that there are 5 games, and the first one did not support local multiplayer. Yeah, that was the one. It doesn't really matter, I just wanted to know.

Isn't that like saying Paper Mario is the same old Mario, though? What difference does a name make when the feel is completely different from the predecessors? I'd argue there are more similarities between Mario Sports titles and Wii Sports than there are between traditional Kirby and Epic Yarn.

Ow, ma bad. I rented numero duo and only like the third one.

It makes a difference to me. Paper Mario may have a very different style and play fundamentally different from Galaxy but why the need for so much Mario. It's like only ever having vanilla flavoured food, yeah, vanilla is awesome but after a while it just becomes samey (potentially a horrendously bad metaphor).

And I'd also agree that there are more similarities between Mario Sports titles and Wii Sports than there are between something like trad Kirby and Epic Yarn.

It's all incestuously unimaginative. Nintendo - the house that Mario built and accidentally locked himself in.

I mean, quite a few of the characters are over a quarter of a century old and they have appeared in some form or other pretty much annually. How can that not be boring? Well to some people it isn't, but I have no idea how. But then half way through The Avengers as switch went and suddenly Tony Stark bored me to death.

Edited by Daft

Just to defend Nintendo a bit, why wouldn't they make a new Zelda? Mario and Zelda are two of their best ideas - there's no reason to let go of them. Mario is the character they use for action/platforming. Link is the character they use for adventure. If they invented a completely new platform game, it wouldn't be better for not having Mario in it. Same with Zelda.

Yes, I would like more games of that calibre, but their resources are limited. They only make a few big budget games - 3D Mario, Zelda, Metroid/whatever Retro Studios is working on and whatever Monolith Soft is working on.

Now personally I would stop making things like Wii Fit and Wii Sports so they can have more teams making "big" games, but that's just me. I'd agree that Zelda hasn't been at its best for a long time (some say Majora's Mask was the last great one, I say Wind Waker - either way, it's a long time ago), but I don't think they're stifled by using the same character (Link). He's not even meant to be a "character" as such. Zelda has been on very similar hardware for the last three games. If the next one's not good, I'll change my opinion, but until then I think it has as much potential to be great as ever.

Bar Apocalypse, I'd agree. I think Apocalypse is a riot, though. Racing through a tornado is epic.

Seriously, when was the last time you played it? I played it last month and it looked like a bad iPhone game. Also, motion controls = vomit. It has not aged well at all.

I would say it is either the best or one of the best motion controls on that whole console. The controls are very...precise and specific but they are SO tight. There is little else that is as satisfying as landing a jump at the exact angle and getting a speed bump, the sound through the controller and its just....ridiculously, ridiculously fun. I'm not sure if you could get into it if just playing a quick blitz round someones house.

It is awesome. AWESOME. I have not played it recently, but that doesn't really matter.

Of course they're going to make a new Zelda, and yes Mario and Zelda were their best ideas, but how bloody old are those ideas now? They haven't revamped their games at the same pace as the competition. They need an overhaul. The only thing going for them still is that slightly timeless appeal.

It's a massive problem that they keep churning out new iterations of the same franchises, and keep their best teams working on them. It locks them into using the same characters, tropes, environments, themes/tones, /everything, and it means nothing comes as a surprise. I find it baffling. It would be laughed at in the movie industry if a remake was made every 3 years, simply re-skinned each time. Branch out damn it! I'm not saying these franchises should be abandoned forever, but give them a serious break. Try something darker, with new characters and a serious story. Do something radical. Honestly, I find it ridiculous that people are so couched in their comfort zones when it comes to Nintendo, and always demand the same fucking thing. I've made this point so many times that it probably comes as a bit of a bore-fest by now.

But not as much as a bore-fest as Nintendo's output. Hoho.

@ReZ I agree, bar the controller speaker aspect. Tinny shit.

Edited by dwarf

Tbf I think Nintendo do a good job with 3D Mario each time... 64, Sunshine, Galaxy, 3DLand have all been different enough and there's been some incredible stuff in there! And no doubt the Wii U version will be outstanding too.

The problem with Mario is IMO... he's become boring as a character. I'm so fed up of seeing him in SO MANY GAMES!

Nintendo really need to take a step back with him, which is easier said than done seeing as he's their Mascot... but a Mario game used to be something so special to look forward to, it used to signify something special. I shouldn't ne sick of the sight of the character that's done the most for video games.

I'm not saying these franchises should be abandoned forever, but give them a serious break. Try something darker, with new characters and a serious story. Do something radical. Honestly, I find it ridiculous that people are so couched in their comfort zones when it comes to Nintendo, and always demand the same fucking thing. I've made this point so many times that it probably comes as a bit of a bore-fest by now.

Couldn't agree more. Nintendo need to bring their games up to date, but most of all take some risks, do something new with their tired franchises.

I think Mario sees enough invention and ideas per 3D game that I have no qualms with the rate at which they deliver them. As for all the other spin off games... it's difficult. Most of them hold zero appeal for me anyway, and since they are made by different teams, I know they have no impact on his games I do enjoy, but I can see why a baseball game featuring a bunch of unknown characters might be a bit of a hard sell. So should they devise a whole new set of characters, which no one will care about, to populate the game or should they not even be doing games of that ilk in the first place? I think that slapping the Mario badge on is far the lesser of two evils and maybe one day, one of them will be of interest. Unless it's cash-cow NSMB which should be never be released again.

Zelda is the biggest culprit when it comes to stagnation of a classic series. There has been so little in evolution over the total length of the series that I am sometimes surprised at how popular it is. I think they kinda get away with it because generally speaking, there haven't been that many games that straddle that action/adventure/RPG category in recent times though it seems to be picking up again. But the development cycles on these games are huge and the unwillingness to try new things, or deliver on the big promises of change they boast about in the build up, has seen a decline in the series quality. Zelda used to be the best action game, the best adventure game and the best lite RPG all in one. Now it's not the best at anything it does whereas for me, 3D Mario still is.

3D Mario still holds more sway over me than any other single series whilst it's partner in crime, Zelda, has seemingly gone awol.

I decided to do a comparison of the next few months of releases, bolding the bigger games.

Wii U

02/07 Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage 2

02/15 Dream Pinball 3D II

03/22 Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate

03/22 Need for Speed: Most Wanted

03/28 LEGO City Undercover

03/29 The Croods: Prehistoric Party!

03/29 The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct

04/19 Injustice: Gods Among Us

05/24 Resident Evil: Revelations

PS3

02/08 Dead Space 3

02/12 Aliens: Colonial Marines

02/21 Metal Gear Solid Rising

02/22 Crysis 3

03/05 Tomb Raider

/03/08 Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 3

03/12 God of War: Ascension

03/13 Sniper: Ghost Warrior 2

03/26 BioShock Infinite

03/27 Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time

03/28 Tiger Woods PGA Tour 14

03/29 The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct

04/02 Defiance

04/05 Painkiller: Hell & Damnation

04/05 Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor Blade

04/18 Injustice: Gods Among Us

04/25 Star Trek

05/06 The Last of Us

05/24 Resident Evil: Revelations

05/31 GRID 2

Xbox 360 is the same as PS3 but without God of War, Sly Cooper and The Last of US - it has zero exclusive games (and that's probably true for the rest of the console's life, minus a few downloadables like Full House Poker 2).

And of those Bolded Wii U games...

03/22 Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate - updated port

03/22 Need for Speed: Most Wanted - been out for 5months on other consoles

03/28 LEGO City Undercover

04/19 Injustice: Gods Among Us

05/24 Resident Evil: Revelations - updated port most Wii U owners will have already played.

FULL HOUSE POKER 2?

*Buys an XBOX*

Lulz.

But that is just fucking depressing reading. I really want LEGO City Undercover but...yeah. Definitely waiting now. Well. Waiting....as it stands....indefinitely. I'll buy the console when games are actually out. As in when they are out. Not when they're a week from being out....because there would be no guarantee that it would come. Ha.

But yeah, totally what Retro said....pathetic list. This "3DS port" bullshit craze is utter shit.

Does anyone know where to find an up-to date 3DS/Vita release list? The only retail games that weren't complete shovelware (such as Pet Zombies) that I could find were

Vita

03/22 Dead of Alive 5 Plus

03/27 Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time

04/30 Soul Sacrifice

3DS:

02/08 Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed

02/08 Dr Kawashima's Devilish Brain Training

The 3DS should have Luigi's Mansion next month and Fire Emblem in April, but no specific dates for either. Plus Scirbblenauts, which was delayed just before release.

But that is just fucking depressing reading. I really want LEGO City Undercover but...yeah. Definitely waiting now. Well. Waiting....as it stands....indefinitely. I'll buy the console when games are actually out. As in when they are out. Not when they're a week from being out....because there would be no guarantee that it would come. Ha.
Tbh you could probably pick the Wii U up in 3 years time/in it's last year, at half the price, and have an absolute fricking blast!!! :D

Tbh you could probably pick the Wii U up in 3 years time/in it's last year, at half the price, and have an absolute fricking blast!!! :D

I'd say your probably right.. though I'm actually not sure if I can see the Wii U even lasting 3 years at this rate :nono:

My feelings on Wii U have been strange since receiving it for Christmas. I've been critical on a lot of things, including gaming in general, but sometimes I slip Nintendo Land in and have an absolute blast.. like today :heh:

Nintendo really need to show us some of their own games and a few surprises to start creating some interest. They may be holding out to E3, but that seems an eternity away right now..

Tbf I think Nintendo do a good job with 3D Mario each time... 64, Sunshine, Galaxy, 3DLand have all been different enough and there's been some incredible stuff in there! And no doubt the Wii U version will be outstanding too.

The problem with Mario is IMO... he's become boring as a character. I'm so fed up of seeing him in SO MANY GAMES!

Nintendo really need to take a step back with him, which is easier said than done seeing as he's their Mascot... but a Mario game used to be something so special to look forward to, it used to signify something special. I shouldn't ne sick of the sight of the character that's done the most for video games.

I think people get confused. Were any of those first few games you mentioned awesome because they had mario in them? No, not really. Mario was in them because they were awesome! Mario's a vehicle for gameplay, he's never had a thrillingly brilliant story - he's a fat plumber in what seems a magical world/universe that rescues a princess from a dinosaur, pretty much every single time. For some reason, the absurdity of this has just made him a versatile vehicle - the games are good because they're good. However Mario's always associated with them, so we now expect any Mario to be good, and that isn't always the case - I don't think it's Mario's fault really though. He's become synonymous for good standard, the standard's just fallen and they're still slapping him on, we're just disappointed after our own self-hyping.

Xbox 360 is the same as PS3 but without God of War, Sly Cooper and The Last of US - it has zero exclusive games (and that's probably true for the rest of the console's life, minus a few downloadables like Full House Poker 2).

It has Gears of War: Judgement which I'd argue carries more clout than Sly Cooper does in the sales stakes.

Does anyone know where to find an up-to date 3DS/Vita release list? The only retail games that weren't complete shovelware (such as Pet Zombies) that I could find were

3DS:

02/08 Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed

02/08 Dr Kawashima's Devilish Brain Training

The 3DS should have Luigi's Mansion next month and Fire Emblem in April, but no specific dates for either. Plus Scirbblenauts, which was delayed just before release.

I think you might be getting your regions crossed for 3DS. That Brain Training date is for America where Fire Emblem came out a few days ago, and thus doesn't appear. In Europe, FE has a none descript April release and BT is out on 12th April. Castlevania has a US date of 5th March and 8th March for us... and it can't come soon enough.

Edited by Captain Falcon