N-Europe

London 2012 Olympics & Paralympics

gaggle64

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a celebration of British Music, there were some odd choices in there. Personally think they should have just stuck with the screens of Freddie Mercury for We Will Rock You as I really don't like Jessie J. She has an annoying habit of stretching out sections of songs unnecessarily and ruining them.

I do think they should have perhaps done away with some of the mainstream/older music and given space to some of the more up and coming artists within Britain. I mean, did we really need to remind the world of the Spice Girls or George Michael? And surely they could have actually got Bowie for his little segment.

I'll leave it there. Could easily complain about it more about who I think should have been included and who shouldn't have been but never mind.

Yeah that's what i thought they were going to do with Freddie. Would have looked cool, but i bet it wouldn't have been as good in the stadium.

I thought Jessie and Russell did quite well really.

EDIT: Apparently Bowie has been in retirement since 2006, so there you go. If they don't want to perform, you can't make them! I suppose that goes for a lot of artists (i can imagine Ozzy Osbourne turning it down)

My favourite bit was Fatboy Slim on the back of an octopus.

Edited by 130131301364

Whoever approved the Russell Brand (probably my most hated British person in all history) and Jessie J parts should be banned from ever doing any kind of event. Or living. The We Will Rock You bit should have been done with screens, or even that fancy lighting trick they did with Tupac/Gorillaz. How the entire stadium was reacting to the bit on the screens showed just how perfect that would have been.

However, Eric Idle's section was brilliant. And insane.

Edit: This whole section: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19238439

Edited by Cube

The problem is that you are all trying to relegate British music history into 1 perfect hour. You can't do it and please everybody, it isn't possible. It's a testament to how broad British music has been over the years. There will be at least one thing everybody liked in there.

The Eric Idle bit was brilliant, as was the opening with John Lennon, with the Lion King Musical-esque recreation of his face. Seeing The Who at the end was fantastic, as was Beady Eye's rendition of Wonderwall. I liked it, loved the whole Carnival feel.

The problem is that you are all trying to relegate British music history into 1 perfect hour. You can't do it and please everybody, it isn't possible. It's a testament to how broad British music has been over the years. There will be at least one thing everybody liked in there.

The Eric Idle bit was brilliant, as was the opening with John Lennon, with the Lion King Musical-esque recreation of his face. Seeing The Who at the end was fantastic, as was Beady Eye's rendition of Wonderwall. I liked it, loved the whole Carnival feel.

The Who were great, Beady Eye were shite.

The problem is that you are all trying to relegate British music history into 1 perfect hour.

I still think that complaints about someone who has absolutely nothing to do with music (we even had a proper "comedy-music" act), and with someone who had already sung her own song (plus parts of three or four other songs) are pretty valid.

Edited by Cube

I still thing that complaints about someone who has absolutely nothing to do with music (we even had a proper "comedy-music" act), and with someone who had already sung her own song (plus parts of three or four other songs) are pretty valid.

Maybe so, but both of them have quite a big following, so it would be great for them. I'm neutral-to-meh about those two. But, there's plenty of other stuff there that I liked.

What a closing ceremony indeed, very well done indeed. Ok i wasn't too fond of George Michael or Jesse J murdering "We Will Rock You". The video of Freddy Mercury warming the crowd up was classic indeed. John Lennon's face appearing in formation was legendary indeed, very well done indeed.

I kept wondering if Lennon was alive now, would he have been the one singing at the opening ceremony instead of that McCartney bloke?.

The tribute to "Fools and Horses" was good, even Eric Idle surprised me indeed.

Overall, it was a fantastic ceremony indeed. Much better than Beijing overall, a very British event and one that i'm proud to say i'm glad to be British.

What a closing ceremony indeed, very well done indeed. Ok i wasn't too fond of George Michael or Jesse J murdering "We Will Rock You". The video of Freddy Mercury warming the crowd up was classic indeed. John Lennon's face appearing in formation was legendary indeed, very well done indeed.

I kept wondering if Lennon was alive now, would he have been the one singing at the opening ceremony instead of that McCartney bloke?.

The tribute to "Fools and Horses" was good, even Eric Idle surprised me indeed.

Overall, it was a fantastic ceremony indeed. Much better than Beijing overall, a very British event and one that i'm proud to say i'm glad to be British.

Indeed.

There are chars of 10

I think the Queen part was ok, didn't mind that whatever-her-name-was-chick singing it. But! It was so short...I mean "We Are the Champions", the ultimate stadium sing-along rock song, and they sang it for about two seconds with the audience? : o Come on now...

Eric Idle? Fuuuuuuuck yeah. Overall, great games guys, I'm totally gonna miss all this : ( Also, really makes me wanna try some new sports, goddamnit!

I loved it. Thought it was a great concert. I don't really like Russel Brand but I thought he did very well.

Highlights for me were:

Imagine

The Who

Eric Idle

Eric Idle in particular was fantastic, the whole stadium was buzzing during that performance.

Disappointed that Robbie didn't join Take That for 'Rule The World' and well done to Gary Barlow for performing after his recent loss. I thought Jessie J did OK for We Will Rock You, but like everyone else, it should have been Freddie's vocals and Brian May/Roger Taylor playing live. I also think the final song should have been Bohemian Rhapsody but obviously My Generation was appropriate given the slogan 'Inspire a Generation'.

Well so here we are the day after the last day of teh Olympics.... anybody else find themselves turning on the TV today and feeling very sad at the lack of sporting activity :cry:

Anyway just wanted to say I think this very 1st Olympics Temp board went very well and I'm very glad we went with this rather than the one thread in Gen Chit Chat. Like with the Footy tournament threads really helped keep variopus conversations intact across different threads rather than having everyone "shouting over each other" with different posts on different topics/teams/events.

Of the 36 threads created for each Sport only 8 remainded unused, which I thought was pretty good... though I must admit I was a bit surprised both Volleyball and Table Tennis remained unused (or did the Volleyball chat just get merged in with teh Beach Volleyball?).

As for the Paralympics which will start on the 29th Aug, we'll leave this board open for those too. Most of the Sports in the Paralympics overlap with the Olympics so we can use the currentyly created threads and continue with those. (eg: 5-a-side Football & 7-a-side Football will just used the current Football thread, Wheelchair Basketball will just use the Basketball thread) I might edit the thread titles closer to the Paralympics to reflect better the Paralympic event. I think only Wheelchair Rugby is the only "exclusive" Paralympic sport so I'll create a thread for that closer to the 29th

Well so here we are the day after the last day of teh Olympics.... anybody else find themselves turning on the TV today and feeling very sad at the lack of sporting activity :cry:

Ha, the EBU stream portal is still working, so I quickly caught up on any missed events, namely wrestling, triathlon, epee fencing, synchro swimming, bmx, canoe sprint and so on. Now I've watched a bit of every friggin' sport there was, awesome!

Anyway just wanted to say I think this very 1st Olympics Temp board went very well and I'm very glad we went with this rather than the one thread in Gen Chit Chat. Like with the Footy tournament threads really helped keep variopus conversations intact across different threads rather than having everyone "shouting over each other" with different posts on different topics/teams/events.

Of the 36 threads created for each Sport only 8 remainded unused, which I thought was pretty good... though I must admit I was a bit surprised both Volleyball and Table Tennis remained unused (or did the Volleyball chat just get merged in with teh Beach Volleyball?).

A lot of stuff was discussed outside the actual event threads as well, so yeah...Anyway, the board was a brilliant idea, it made these Olympics even more better. I also found the FIN twitter community, which seems to be surprisingly active...

Edited by Ville

Getting serious Post Olympic Depression today. Was so sad to leave London. I thought the closing ceremony was brilliant, only personal gripes really were giving George Michael two songs, Elbow being there, no Noel Gallagher. Otherwise I feel they got the balance and tone absolutely spot on.

Can't wait for the paras, fingers crossed that I will be working there too. I've probably just had the two best weeks of my life so far. So proud of Britain right now.

And as mentioned Lead singer Bruce Dickinson is a motherfrakking Pilot... he flies the Band when they are on tour. I'm sure they could have taken Ed Force One back to London for a night then headed back stateside :heh:

BruceEdForceOne6.jpg

Anyway with a bit of luck with the next Olympics in Brazil and since Brazil is one of the countries Maiden are most popular in we just might get to see them and Eddy at the Opening or Closing of the Rio Games :D