N-Europe

Batman: Arkham City Armored Edition

madeinbeats

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually love the Tim Burton films, sadly he never got the chance to direct a third due to parental outcry over the second being too dark and sexually charged!

I still think Nolan's films are better though.

I personally think Nolan's Batman films are sensationally over rated and Christian Bale is a pretty poor Batman (THAT STUPID FUCKING VOICE). They're very good films, but no more than that. Still looking forward to Rises though!

I personally think Nolan's Batman films are sensationally over rated and Christian Bale is a pretty poor Batman (THAT STUPID FUCKING VOICE). They're very good films, but no more than that. Still looking forward to Rises though!

Agreed. Good films but stupidly over rated. I wouldn't mind them so much, but as you said, Christian Bale's voice as Batman is just stupid and over the top.

I too prefer the Tim Burton Batman films (and Batman Forever is a guilty pleasure of mine... :blush:). I just find the new ones to lack in FUN. I mean, these are comic book films! Drop the serious business act and inject some tongue in cheek humour for crying out loud.

I just find the new ones to lack in FUN. I mean, these are comic book films! Drop the serious business act and inject some tongue in cheek humour for crying out loud.
I agree.

And how come Batman doesn't dance anymore?

Remember the Batusi? :heh:

:laughing:

I like the Burton film but there are so many stupid fucking things in those films that just piss me off. TDK and Begins = god tier.

As for Arkham City, best game of the gen so far for me. The city was excellent with plenty to see and do, the game couldnt work properly without it. I'd just glide around for hours and hours collecting trophies, solving riddler stuff and if any good dared call me a chicken as I glide past I'd swoop around and pummel his face in.

• 2 months later...
Im really looking forward to this game, even though I've already played and completed it on Xbox. It's a top notch game, i hope they bring the DLC over.

I'm pretty sure that the DLC (including Catwoman and Harley Quinn DLCs) are on the disc as standard.

It's a quality game! But personally I do prefer Arkham Asylum..the atmosphere in that game is superb.

I loved Arkham Asylum. The atmosphere is amazing, especially listening to the guards and picking up the tapes from the inmates.

I kinda felt the game was a bit like 'Metroid Asylum' as it played just like Metroid with a series of perfectly timed and balanced unlock able upgrades that allowed you to explore new areas and find secrets you couldn't reach in existing areas.

Amazing game - one of the best I've played this gen.

I felt that the "Metroid" aspect was lost somewhat in the sequel. But the plot/story is amazing.

Absolutely it was gone. The intricate interior desire of the Asylum was nowhere to be seen in City. A lot of the buildings weren't very big at all with only a couple of rooms in them. Even the underground sections lacked the complexity even if the asthetic design went a long way to making up for it. Everytime I cam across a grate or hollowed out section in Asylum, it felt like I just stumbled upon it by accident. Most felt like they belonged there and weren't just conveniently put in as access points for Batman but that he was using them anyway - in City, they felt a lot more contrived.

But getting to swoop around Arkham City had it's own sense of wonder and joy too. Creating a believable and fun open world to explore isn't an easy task and it was full of distinct sections that meant you always knew where you were. The ∩ shape to the island didn't always aid navigating around but it was never so big to be a major issue - plus, there were often other things to do whilst on your way to the next objective. In some ways, trying to make meaningful comparisons in the level design is a bit redundant - it's like trying to compare Metroid with Zelda.

I felt the story was a bit lacking after the first - too many characters with not enough characterisation or purpose in the main story. The side quests were pretty cool though except for one - its story was good but at about 30% of the way through it, it became very unclear where you were supposed to go. The biggest improvement is in the combat and variety of moves you have. I recently replayed Asylum and the difference was most apparent.

The game comes with all DLC as featured in the GOTY editions - Catwoman Story Chapters, Nightwing/Challenge Maps, Robin/Challenge Maps, Batman Alternative Costume pack, the standalone Challenge Map DLC and Harley Quinns Revenge campaign. As short as it was, HQR was really good and getting to play as Robin properly was nifty, even if he never could go outside. It served as an excellent epilogue to an already impressive ending.

The game may be coming up to it's 12 month anniversary but it's still an excellent game and something that shouldn't be dismissed/forgotten about. I wonder if the the rest of the launch line up will still be viewed so fondly 1 year after release. Given it's age, Arkham City isn't necessarily a great launch game but that doesn't mean it isn't a great game full stop. So far, it's stood the test of time well and I don't see that changing. Just have to hope they've sorted out the texture loading issues that seemed to plagued the old builds that have been demoed so far.

Edited by Captain Falcon

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!