N-Europe

Red Dwarf

Cube

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really enjoyed the episode, certainly better than series 7-9 (back to earth is classed as 9 right?)

I did wonder wear that moose joke was going at first, i thought it was a weak opening joke obviously not realising it was a set up

Kryten was odd.... i can see they have altered him to be closer to season 3 Kryten and i guess address some of they questions of why he looked so different when he became a regular, i can only guess if they address it further it will be an alternate/spare head.

but all in all very good!

I'm not seeing the problem with series 7 to be honest. i thought it was great as well:)

yeah really enjoyed this, really funny and already this episode was better then anything in series 7 or 'back to earth'/series 9.

I don't like the changes to Kryten, I think the way he looked in series 3 and 4 were the best costume design for the character.

628951_L1.jpg

not that i dislike Kochanski as a character, just Clare Grogan is Kochanski, Chloe Annette's portrayal was like a whole other person,

in fact while this issue is up, perhaps somebody could explain this to me

the Chloe Annette Kochanski was from an alternate universe, so when the nanobots recreated red dwarf, along with all the crew, from their ashes......why didn't we get this/our/their universes Kochanski recreated

I suppose i could have missed something because i watched two of the prison series episodes maybe three

I agree Kochanski's whiney Series 7 character somewhat ruined that series, however there's also no denying that series has some incredibly funny/classic moments...

- Ace Rimmer Surfing on a crocodile scene

- Arnold Rimmer Song

- Kyrtens Rambo'esque Pride & Prejudice scene

I agree Kochanski's whiney Series 7 character somewhat ruined that series, however there's also no denying that series has some incredibly funny/classic moments...

- Arnold Rimmer Song

The best one was the kiss.

- Arnold Rimmer Song

Oh yeah totally

Stoke me a clIpper I'll be back for breakfast

not that i dislike Kochanski as a character, just Clare Grogan is Kochanski, Chloe Annette's portrayal was like a whole other person,

in fact while this issue is up, perhaps somebody could explain this to me

the Chloe Annette Kochanski was from an alternate universe, so when the nanobots recreated red dwarf, along with all the crew, from their ashes......why didn't we get this/our/their universes Kochanski recreated

I suppose i could have missed something because i watched two of the prison series episodes maybe three

Chloe Annette's portrayal of Kochanski is like David Ross's portrayal of Kryten. We take Llewellyn as Kryten well, and think he does a great job. But Ross was the original and alas we won't know how good or bad he could have been.

Claire Grogan however, that's a different matter altogether. I think they tried to get her back for series 7, but alas failed. Hence why the "Parallel Universe" was created.

- Arnold Rimmer Song

Ah yes, some great moments. I suppose series 7 missed on the live audience as the other series had before. Who knows, could have been different.

True, there have been rumours flying around about which version of Rimmer that is. Some indicate thats the Rimmer who was originally around from season 1 to 7 (the one that turned into Ace Rimmer). I'm inclined to believe them.

@EEVILMURRAY, thats true. Not hard to beat "Back to Earth" at all. I suppose the live-recorded audience and built sets along with a better script compared to CGI "Back to Earth" isn't hard to beat.

So then why is he still the old Rimmer and not a version of Ace? You can start filling your own hours, its conceivable that they did boot up the back up of same Rimmer prior to him leaving. Which does beg the question why didn't they do this when he originally left? Although perhaps they didn't have a spare light bee and now they are back on and in charge of Red Dwarf they restored him.

Other could relate to the end of 8. Somehow Red Dwarf could have been saved with Rimmer making a sacrifice at the end and then dying before reporting to a hologram.

There really is no telling. All I'm glad of is that we seem to have a return to the bitter "family orientated" Rimmer of old. That's one thing I really did like we had that return to the character focus despite the fact they went off to a new ship etc...

Did anyone else get the feeling that it felt more like a stage show version of Red Dwarf though, rather than a TV show? Got a strange feeling that I couldn't quite shake off about it (not that that's a bad thing, just a bit of an odd feeling)

To me, it hasn't felt right since they changed to film and made it more cinematic. Personally, I wish they would look into high-framerate video, but that's just me.

Anyway, I've watched Episode 1 and... I loved it! Lister's determination to get the Stirmaster and the line about how they just hosed Kryten down (beautifully delivered by Chris Barrie) were my highlights. Generally, it just gave me such a good feeling, like I was back in the '90s.

I thought Red Dwarf got better and better up to and including Series 6 (still don't know how they intended to get out of that cliffhanger!) but then Rob Grant left and it was never the same. They changed to film, used a lot of CGI and it generally didn't feel like the same sitcom any more. Red Dwarf X though? Wow, I never thought it would be this good again. It's easily the best since Series 6, in my opinion. It's funny, it's imaginative sci-fi (but not necessarily "cinematic", in that it doesn't take itself too seriously), it has a studio audience... Bravo! It just goes to show you can get things right if you're careful enough and look at why it worked in the first place. If only they'd get Rob Grant back and, as I say, change to high-quality video, it'd be perfect, but they've done a darn good job nonetheless.

To me, it hasn't felt right since they changed to film and made it more cinematic. Personally, I wish they would look into high-framerate video, but that's just me.
I thought Series 10 looked much more like the previous series than the glossy/cinematic look of series 7 & 8. I thought maybe they had reverted back to some previous techniques.

Series 10 looks like it's shot on hd video to me. Could be wrong.

I thought they absolutely nailed the tone of the early series in this, performances spot on. The writing itself could have been better/funnier - a few strained running jokes etc, slightly lackluster recycled plot etc. I enjoyed it, chuckled a bit, but hope and expect it to get better as the series goes on.

So I forgot last nights episode was on (I knew there was something I was meant to be watching that night), but then handily remembered in time for repeat at 11.30!

Wasn't as good as the previous episode but decent enough! Wasn't really a fan of the new computer character (and the ships Dentist etc... character was also stupid) and I thought those robots with spikes on them were stupid, I mean where had they got their modifications from?... but the stuff with Lister and his 'Dad' was pretty funny and well done/thought out... the bit with his guitar etc! :D

'Chinese Whispers' was this episodes 'Moose'... only not as good. Hope they don't feel the need to do something like that in all of them! :p

Did anyone else think:

That the whole end of the episode was going to be some huge ruse set up by drunk lister dad to teach Lister Jr a lesson and force him to sort his life out or something. Something about the way Lister goes to Pree - 'I've got a job for you' when he first meets, made me think that it was all set up by him from the start.Then it wasn't.....odd.

The chinese whispers joke could have been good if it was more subtle, but it was too forced.

Overall, yeah, not as good as the first episode, i think.

Did anyone else think:

That the whole end of the episode was going to be some huge ruse set up by drunk lister dad to teach Lister Jr a lesson and force him to sort his life out or something. Something about the way Lister goes to Pree - 'I've got a job for you' when he first meets, made me think that it was all set up by him from the start.Then it wasn't.....odd.

I thought that, something sililar to Queeg.

After

bit where B deck was screwed and the new computer said she takes on the personality and competance of the senior officer, and after Lister's dad wanted him to go into the JMC programe i thought it would be a mad dash to have lister pass the officers exam and further make Rimmer have something to glitch with resentment over

but all in all i loved the episode, its all feeling very "old" red Dwarf, just wish they had Holly back, or at the end tried a new computer set up and got Hattie Hayridge

Did anyone else think:

The chinese whispers joke could have been good if it was more subtle, but it was too forced.

Overall, yeah, not as good as the first episode, i think.

Yeah me too. Was hoping that it would somehow end up with Holly coming back in the end too.

Not as good as the first episode but still good. The Chinese whispers joke was a bit forced, drawn out and predictable, but the interactions between Lister and Lister were awesome and totally made the episode! :D

I thought the Chinese whispers joke started out promising. I laughed at the first iteration. But every subsequent one just took too long. It should have been a lot quicker and to the point.

I missed the first 5 minutes of it. Thought it would start at 11:40 like last week, not 11:35. I saw it just as Lister was opening the card from his Dad.