Red Dwarf

Cube

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, that was a sci-fi spectacular!

Funniest moment had to be the "weapons inventory"

Two forks and a pencil sharpener - absolute genius! "Rumour has it there's a stick and string!"

:laughing:

But overall the aim of the episode was excitement, and the showdown left me with a big, goofy grin! At the risk of sounding sensitive, I almost shed a tear as well! Lovely stuff, really lovely.

Yeah I realised I musn't have seen the end of Series 8 either (must have been that bad), because I could tell it was a huge in-joke by the way the audience reacted, but the closest I could get was the end of Series 6 (but that wasn't how that series ended, but did involve Rimmer).

I thought last nights episode was ok, but not great.

I found the 'chase you across the galaxy until the end of time' guy a bit annoying (went on far too long).

The bit with Kryton coming into the room to ask for his english lessons (or whatever) and then another thing, and another, stupid, because clearly he would be able to tell there was a hull breach.

The Fork joke I'd seen previoulsy in a trailer or something.

Also I thought these Simulants were no where as good as the previous versions (and I didn't really understand why they were kind of a bit wet... and tudor!)

I was also expecting something a little more from the Post Credits scene... maybe a hint at Kochanski or something.

On the whole though I did enjoy it!

Young Rimmer was funny, and the finale was good. I liked them being out on Blue Midget aswell, though would have liked to have seen Starbug in use once this series.

Really hope we get another series, and it kinda seems like we will.

Can you explain that? I never watched that season and felt like I was missing a big in-joke.

This was the alternative ending

The original was the same until Rimmer first came back through the mirror universe. Instead he found the rest gone and he was left on the ship whilst it was eating it away.

With the gag on the series 8 ending, i think they went with the alternative ending. Got "lucky" in a way how they fixed the ship and prevented it from being eaten.

Can you explain that? I never watched that season and felt like I was missing a big in-joke.

Just that we never found out what happened at the end of series 8, along with flameboy saying that we'd find out in this episode, then just as they began talking about it, Cat cuts him off.

Rimmer died. However, Ace came back and saved the day by a fluke. His ship got destroyed in the process, and he was stranded and reverted into his old self as he really wasn't cut out to be Ace.

I'd say that's the most logical explanation as to why this Rimmer is the old Rimmer too, yeah

Just that we never found out what happened at the end of series 8, along with flameboy saying that we'd find out in this episode, then just as they began talking about it, Cat cuts him off.

Yes I was very angry if I'm honest. I heard it on the Dave Weekly podcast and outright Doug said they will address the end of Series 8. Also read it on numerous websties... I was expecting more...

I'd say that's the most logical explanation as to why this Rimmer is the old Rimmer too, yeah

So we are outright assuming it is the original Rimmer....There are views that it could be an amalgamation of both the Rimmer who left to become Ace and a dead version of the series 8 reincarnated Rimmer. Not quite sure how lol.

One thing that did annoy me was when they were talking about Rimmer's death and how he screamed "mummy" when we all know he screamed "Gazpacho soup"!!!!

I also didn't like the stupid moustached simulant guy and it went on way too long and was really dumb tbh. I prefered however his classic simulant design to this new bizarrely more human version that was trying to kill the Red Dwarf crew.

I hope we see more episodes I guess DVD sales may ultimately have some say it that.

Rimmer died. However, Ace came back and saved the day by a fluke. His ship got destroyed in the process, and he was stranded and reverted into his old self as he really wasn't cut out to be Ace.

The writers were planning a similar ending which would have included Ace Rimmer saving Arnie, but they never filmed it.

But it sounds logical enough to be believed.

Just caught up. Oh man. Not sure how I feel about the change to Rimmer's backstory :shakehead

That being said, I did like Hogey :D and it did come through with the belly laughs (the Harakiri scene was funny, even if it did drag a bit)

Overall, it was a great way to end the series; even though they (cunningly :p ) dodged answering the questions that Series 8 left us, it felt like a satisfying conclusion (which makes sense I guess, since it's basically a condensed version of the cancelled Red Dwarf: The Movie script)

If they never got the chance to make another series, I wouldn't be really upset with how it ended here.

Edited by Dcubed

I'm hoping another series will be made, according to Naylor "Dave" have sanctioned 2 series. And Rob Llewellyn was asked recently about another series, he simply said it depends on viewers of this series. So if the viewers were there (which they were) i can't see them not doing another series.

I like Cube's theory on the ending

Overall i liked the episode a lot, and although they have

altered Rimmers character its not by much is it, instead of being pathetically resigned to only being a complete and utter failure, now he thinks he'll be 1 level up from that and he is at his peak!

I don't think they changed it, i think it was just Lister making a joke. That joe wouldn't have worked if he said 'no, your last words were 'Gespatcho soup!'' or whatever because then they'd have to have gone into explaining why they were GS again.

I don't think they changed it, i think it was just Lister making a joke. That joe wouldn't have worked if he said 'no, your last words were 'Gespatcho soup!'' or whatever because then they'd have to have gone into explaining why they were GS again.

Nah it would have been a nice nod to the past. Much like we've seen through out this series.

• 1 year later...