N-Europe

Boring Car Chat

ReZourceman

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My fiesta eats petrol if I even remotely go over 70, it's a bit of a pain as I use the motorway to get to work.

Unless you have a 6th gear most cars do. I average 36mpg in my alfa going to work and back. But when I went from Sheffield to Morley and then back home again (mainly M1 driving for those who don't know), I averaged 24mpg.

Oh dear.

You rarely get up to 70? What do you do on a motorway?

Also the mpg at a constant 70 should be fairly good. Obviously not as good as at 50-60 but still a decent consumption.

I'm hardly ever on the motorways, mainly city driving and small country roads, but when I do I don't go over 70 as it's just too expensive!

You rarely get up to 70? What do you do on a motorway?

Also the mpg at a constant 70 should be fairly good. Obviously not as good as at 50-60 but still a decent consumption.

Have you ever visited Scotland? We're not exactly blessed with an abundance of Motorways.

I do OK in my Scirocco (1.8 litres of fury! It's pretty light too.) when I can be arsed. I don't really drive it fast anymore. Both me and the car are too old for playing silly buggers, although it will still manage it with gusto.

The Polo isn't too bad for a 1 litre. Still pretty slow though.

The Beetle would be pretty quick (well, for a 45 year old car) if it weren't for the complete lack of suspension. You're pretty much limited by how much punishment you can take from the bumpy roads.

I went through my fast era of driving when I had my MR2. I sold it in the end because it was boring to drive unless I drove fast. I enjoy a more sedate pace with the classics now.

So do you go to VW shows, and VW clubs and such?

We're looking into getting a Mini next year, budgeting around £1800 for it, then plan on doing it up to the specifications and standards we want.

(I know Mini isn't a VW, but it's still a classic car :p)

So do you go to VW shows, and VW clubs and such?

We're looking into getting a Mini next year, budgeting around £1800 for it, then plan on doing it up to the specifications and standards we want.

(I know Mini isn't a VW, but it's still a classic car :p)

Yeah I try and get to as many shows as I can. VW Action is the main one I go to. It's not just about VW's, there's plenty of live bands, club olympics, live entertainment etc.

I do go to a few more mainstream ones too. Went to the Fast Car show. It was chavtacular! The show did have fire breathing strippers though, so it was totally worth it.

I think that quite simply this:

Is the worse looking car to be mass produced for a very long time.

I quite like them. At least they've stayed vaguely true to the original. Not like the Mini (Not small), Scirocco (Not a fastback) and Beetle (not an affordable car "for the people").