N-Europe

New Wii Announced. No Gamecube Support (New Colour)

Hero-of-Time

From the desk of N-E.

Not got a Wii yet? Then this might be the perfect Christmas present for you...

Nintendo announced early this morning that a brand new Wii console is coming out in time for Christmas.

The console will be a streamlined version of the current white Wii, which has been altered to be placed lying down rather than standing up, just like the shots of the Wii U that we saw at E3. It will come in a bundle package with a Wii Remote Plus and nunchuk, not to mention two games as well: Wii Sports and Wii Party.

Nintendo has also announced that more Wii bundles will be revealed in the run-up to Christmas. As announced yesterday, Super Mario Galaxy and Twilight Princess are joining the Nintendo Selects range, making the Wii a very tempting (and potentially cheap) option for those who don’t own Wiis yet.

No official pictures of the new console have been released yet, but stick with N-Europe for updates as and when they happen.

What are your thoughts on the new Wii? Too little too late? Or could this be the kick needed to give the Wii a last holiday of decent sales? Leave your thoughts in the comments below!

We have some new information and an image of the console courtesy of our former editor-in-chief Tom Phillips who is now over at Eurogamer. The new console will eliminate backwards GameCube compatibility in terms of hardware and software, meaning you won't be able to use GameCube controllers for games such as Super Smash Bros. Brawl. An image of the console can be found below, thanks to Eurogamer, and it seems that the design hasn't changed too much.

newwii.jpg

I echo what Aaron said...

This would actually be tempting if it wasn't impossible to transfer all your data from one console to another without begging Nintendo over the phone for them to do it.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If this comes out in black and is a reasonable price, I might get one.

I almost picked up a new Wii the other day when you could grab them from tesco for £87, just because for a Motion Plus controller, a new game and a fancy colour for the console, it's not a bad deal. Especially if I sell my old Wii. That deal is still available for £92, if anyone's interested.

But I bottled it because car tax is due soon, however if this comes out at a sensible price, I could certainly be interested :)

Many people have rightly called on the fact that it looks even more like the current Wii U form. It's re-opened speculation about Nintendo revamping the design of its next-gen system, but it's unlikely they'll change the name any sooner than last-minute (a la Ultra 64, if you will), given they officially copyrighted 'Wii U' a few days ago.

Stupid move IMO.

Completely unnecessary and will just serve to further confuse the public regarding the Wii U when it's released. The consoles now look near identicle and will make Wii U seem no more than an update/peripheral... in much the same way Nintendo failed to initially differentiate the 3DS enough to those not clued up.

Stupid move IMO.

Completely unnecessary and will just serve to further confuse the public regarding the Wii U when it's released. The consoles now look near identicle and will make Wii U seem no more than an update/peripheral... in much the same way Nintendo failed to initially differentiate the 3DS enough to those not clued up.

100% agree with you.

Stupid move IMO.

Yep, exactly this.

I know people who still refer to the DS as a gameboy and Nintendo actually marketed against that, specifically saying it was a third pillar and not the next gameboy. So how are they going to fare with this?

I don't understand what they've changed either. It seems all they've done is put it on its side (which you can do with the current Wii I think?) and remove gamecube support. What have they added?

Yep, exactly this.

I know people who still refer to the DS as a gameboy and Nintendo actually marketed against that, specifically saying it was a third pillar and not the next gameboy. So how are they going to fare with this?

I don't understand what they've changed either. It seems all they've done is put it on its side (which you can do with the current Wii I think?) and remove gamecube support. What have they added?

They also turned Wii logo on its side.

Other than that it looks identical. I'd like to see if there's any changes to the actual Wii menu or anything other than the lack of GameCube support

Stupid move IMO.

We must be looking at completely different pictures then. Because what I'm seing at the top of the page is a console nearly identical to the original Wii, apart from the Wii logo being moved.

The Wii U on the other hand is much more rounded in its design. I don't see how they can be confused. And to me, it's the LACK of differentiating features that pisses me off. Look at Sonys small versions. They look completely different from their predecessors.

We must be looking at completely different pictures then. Because what I'm seing at the top of the page is a console nearly identical to the original Wii, apart from the Wii logo being moved.

The Wii U on the other hand is much more rounded in its design. I don't see how they can be confused. And to me, it's the LACK of differentiating features that pisses me off. Look at Sonys small versions. They look completely different from their predecessors.

newwii.jpg

wii-u-console.jpg

They really aren't that different. Not different enough for the casual market to realise they are different generation consoles. Like I said above, I know people who think the DS is a Gameboy.

Is there actually any point to this?

The Wii already hit it's peak long ago and late next year we're expecting another. Maybe if it offered some new accessibility like the DSi and the XL (eShop, ease of reading for older audiences etc), it could work.

But lol, the price has already gone down, save your overheads Nintendo for the love of god. It's already been noted multiple times how most of your casual customers are getting confused as to what your products are and the differences between them.

newwii.jpg

wii-u-console.jpg

They really aren't that different. Not different enough for the casual market to realise they are different generation consoles. Like I said above, I know people who think the DS is a Gameboy.

Regular Wii on its side:

Wiionitsside.jpg

It looks almost exactly the same as the new Wii. Unless you were arguing that the Wii and the Wii U were too similar to begin with, in which case I agree. :heh:

But yeah, I really don't see the point in this. :indeed:

I'm failing to see what is visually different in this new Wii compared to the original?

Might be a little silly with the Wii U out next year... We can only hope the final product of the Wii U will have gone through some changes to what we saw at E3

Nintendo haven't done much wrong in my eyes in the last few years with the Wii and DS.

Sure, they could have released more Wii colours and possibly updated to HD halfway through its life span.

Some would say the DS iterations were unnecessary but I liked them all.

However, lots of moves Nintendo are now making seem to unfortunately be the wrong ones.

In total agreement about marketing the WiiU and how the casual gamers are likely to be confused as to what the difference is other than a big new controller with a screen. :hmm:

If it were me, I would totally scrap the look of that WiiU in time for release, and even change the name and say that was a project title.

This 'family' Wii is all wrong in my opinion. Most people already have one anyway - and don't play it. But expect a big advertising push of a 'new' streamlined Wii for the Christmas period - only to confuse the majority of the public next year when a 'new Wii' comes out again.

Didn't we have one of them at the end of last year?

Oooohh, this ones got a new controller... :nono:

Is there actually any point to this?

Not having to pay for the electronic parts + plastic required for four Gamecube controller ports and two Gamecube Memory card ports? Being able to use a possibly cheaper drive that doesn't read Gamecube stuff and maybe only works horizontally? Maybe even more modifications to save money?

Is "saving money" as reason that hard to see? Why do you people think the PS3 alone has had half a dozen revisions, although the uninformed consumer might only be able to distinguish between the fat and the slim at best?

What Nintendo announces on their site is this:

New Wii Bundle announced with Wii Sports, Wii Party and newly configured Wii

...bla... From October you will be able to pick up a new value Wii bundle, which includes a newly configured Wii console with Wii Sports and Wii Party – a perfect family present this Christmas. ...bla...

They explain "newly configured" later as meaning it has to be placed horizontally. For all intends and purposes, to the uninformed parent hunting for Christmas presents, this is just another bundle and won't confuse any more than the slew of bundles we've had in the past two years or so. They should try to squeeze the price though. A 100€ Wii would be a good impulse-buyer's Christmas present.

I'm just hoping that the golden Wiimote+ won't be only exclusively available in such a bundle with Zelda. >.<

Oh, and am I the only person here, who doesn't see a marketing problem between the Wii and the WiiU? At least no more than there was between the PSX and the PS2? Do you people really want to tell me, that those two are easily mistaken?

wiiupadcomp.jpg

Nintendo just managed to artificially create a problem where none should be, by showing the most stupid sequence of use cases and images they could have at E3:

Hey, it's a wannabe tablet!

padintro.jpg

Hey it's a... Wii game?

nsmbmii.jpg

And there are... Wiimotes (and another Wii game)!

padmotecombo.jpg

This must be merely an addon for the Wii. Has Nintendo lost it? (Actually, going by this presentation, they have. :heh:)

Hey it's Zelda on a wannabe tablet and it looks HD and not Wii-ish at all!

wiiucontrollerzeldademo.jpg

Oh look, there is a new box that goes with the tablet! This must be a new console.

wiiucomplete.png

...expanded audience stuff goes here...

A little change in the order of images shown could've made all the difference in the world towards suggesting that this is indeed a new console - no matter how they would have named it.

Edited by Burny

Because the Wii U console looks so similar to the Wii, I'm expecting the casual market to just assume it's a new controller and the same console - much like Motion Plus is.

But thinking about it, fuck the casual market. They can be confused all they like. The Wii catered to them and as a result I've barely touched mine. The less they have to do with the Wii U, the better.

Clearly this is aimed at people who won't be able to tell the difference. "Family Edition" - it's not aimed at gamers who will care at the lack of Gamecube ports.

Also, at this stage, anybody who will want a Wii will probably have one by now. Same for 360 and PS3, unless this markets at a really silly low price, in which case it might tempt a few people who haven't got it by then.

As for Wii U, it would be nice to have a different design for the console. Purely because it would seem a bit boring to use the same console design twice. Nintendo have never really done that before, definitely not with controllers, so why start now? Something different so that it seems "new" and it doesn't confuse people. Everybody wins.

If it knocks down the price of normal models though, then great :)

It doesn't - it replaces the old models. Buying - and probably even finding - an old Wii will be harder when this one is released.

Aaanyways...

I like it. I'll probably pick one up, if only because I'm running out of save blocks on my other Wii. And it's not like I ever play GameCube games these days anyways - I don't think I've touched one for the last 18 months.

Why are people so annoyed by this, anyways? It's not like Nintendo expect you guys who already have a working Wii to buy this one. It's just a better choice for those who don't (or those who want another one).

Thinking about it, I saw the same problem with the DSi XL - people were annoyed because an option that mainly appealed to somebody else than themselves was being released. I don't get it.

Edited by FireMeowth