Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

[Spoiler-Free] Zelda: Skyward Sword

Hero-of-Time

I can, but I've been playing for about 5 hours!!

What's annoying is I was gong to save it a bit ago and bag a break, but I didn't want to because of the retarded. Collection screen.

Pretty confident I've done it. I've gone to faron woods and I can't go anywhere in there, shut off. But I know how to make the sapling grow at least

:)

If faron woods is shut off, have inactivated the glitch?

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can, but I've been playing for about 5 hours!!

What's annoying is I was gong to save it a bit ago and bag a break, but I didn't want to because of the retarded. Collection screen.

Pretty confident I've done it. I've gone to faron woods and I can't go anywhere in there, shut off. But I know how to make the sapling grow at least

:)

If faron woods is shut off, have inactivated the glitch?

You have have to fight The Imprisoned once again. Go there. If you can do that and proceed to the dragon I assume you don't have the glitch.

Edited by Tales

Just finished the game

Loved the game. I loved the lead up to the last two bosses, running down from the Sacred Grounds fighting off hordes of Moblins was just great, seeing dozens suddenly come out of the darkness at you is so amazing. The Ghirahim battle was played out well, didn't really find much trouble with it. Then of course he 'perished' and it looked liked I was about to face good old toenails-furby again, but luckily that turned into Demise, and what a fight that was.

After a few attempts I managed to get a perfect first round against him. Maybe it was because I had the Hylian Shield and just held it up all the time, pushing forward to block his attack, then pummelling him into submission. Took me a few times to figure out the second phase, then Fi told me about the lightning, and I just loved that. It was a big ol' one on one lightning bolt-filled-sword fight. Loved it.

The ending sequences were quite emotional in parts, I think a fitting end to the game.

I assume that Demise wasn't Ganondorf, but some predecessor to him. as he did mention about all future Links having to deal with him.

After the end, the game mentioned about doing a "Hero Mode". I said OK to it, not properly reading that it saves over your normal game, but anywho....anyone know what "Hero Mode" is? I assume it's just going to be a harder mode. I really don't want to be starting again if it's just a harder mode. Not this soon after completing it anyway.

anyone know what "Hero Mode" is? I assume it's just going to be a harder mode. I really don't want to be starting again if it's just a harder mode. Not this soon after completing it anyway.

You take twice as much damage from enemy attacks and there are no random hearts anywhere.

So yeah, probably not worth it. :heh:

You have have to fight The Imprisoned once again. Go there. If you can do that and proceed to the dragon I assume you don't have the glitch.

Huh, a third time? I fought him a second time but that was before all the songs! How do I activate that if so? I've been to the sealed temple (the whole faron is out of action) and got the tree of life but no dragon anywhere, and that old woman tells me to go to the desert!

Okay. No I haven't glitched. Basically once you start one of them (I needed to sort the sapling out) it doesn't activate any of the others. I did the desert first, but no problems. After looking into it; I have no idea why would you would do the full chain of events to cause the glitch. Phew!!

fighting enemies is better, story is alot better, dungeons are better. town and sidequests is better or on par. overall the game is longer and feels less rushed. the art style of windwaker is probably the best in the series but skyward sword is more consistant. (windwaker does not have full lighting, only in some dungeons.)

All subjective and very debatable.

And... finished, at around 47 hours. Phew! Not an easy game, by any means. By far the hardest 3D Zelda, which I accept is what a lot of gamers wanted.

Final thoughts... It's my least favourite 3D Zelda, the only one I don't want to play again. For all Twilight Princess' faults, I played it three times, so it must have done something right. People will say gamers just say the latest one isn't as good as the last, but is it really so hard to believe that TP started the Zelda series on a downward trajectory and Skyward Sword continued it?

The problem is the game just leads you on a trail... "Do this, do that, now do this". It's not that I mind hints & tips - I like them - it's just that Skyward Sword is so incredibly inconsistent and incoherent, you'd have no way of working out what to do next even if they let you.

As I've said, there are some superb moments, but also many, many dull moments, including the most outrageous, blatant and boring fetch quests of the series.

The motion controls themselves were fun at times, but I never got to grips with the "blocking" gameplay. In any group of enemies, my sword was bound to bang against some of their shields, and yet get through with others. It was sheer luck, and I certainly just used waggle with most of them (there were exceptions, which I won't list in this thread). So, I was wrong to think the motion controls would ruin the game for me, but there is absolutely no reason to use them in future Zeldas.

It goes without saying that Wind Waker is still the masterpiece of the series, and personally, Spirit Tracks is still my favourite entry since that game. Really thought they were on the right track with that DS game, but maybe not.

The problem is the game just leads you on a trail... "Do this, do that, now do this".

Like Ocarina, Wind Waker and Twilight Princess?

Sure, it's more in-your-face in Skyward Sword, but it's not exactly a big problem. The main difference is that Fi tells you why she suggests going somewhere, whereas Navi just suggested that you should go there.

Like Ocarina, Wind Waker and Twilight Princess?

Sure, it's more in-your-face in Skyward Sword, but it's not exactly a big problem. The main difference is that Fi tells you why she suggests going somewhere, whereas Navi just suggested that you should go there.

Ocarina is allowed, it was the first 3D Zelda and they had to make it quite accessible. Majora's Mask didn't hand hold you at all, and neither did Wind Waker. It gave you hints where to go, but especially later on, you had to find your own path.

Skyward Sword does seem incredibly linear and 'do this' 'ok now do that'. It's a shame.

I do agree it's the hardest of the 3D Zeldas, and I'm saying that having only finished 3 dungeons.

What I'm trying to say is not that I dislike hand-holding. In fact, I think it's essential in this day and age (as an option, anyway). My point is that the gameplay used to be more clearly defined.

If you go back to Ocarina of Time or Majora's Mask, for example, you'd spend some play sessions in dungeons and some play sessions gaining access to them, travelling round the overworld, doing detective work and gaining clues.

Skyward Sword, on the other hand (and this started with Twilight Princess), sets up a long series of events for you to play, but they're so different, there's no consistency to the gameplay. It's very hard to explain it in the spolier-free thread, but there are so many different modes to this game, it loses all form.

I don't know, when I finished Twilight Princess, I had this disappointed realisation that, though the game felt solid (if low-tech), the Zelda magic was never going to arrive. Skyward Sword gave me a more disconcerting feeling, because many of the elements did very much feel like Zelda, and yet I still didn't like it much.

It's made me question whether this is still the series I truly used to love so much. When I was playing Wind Waker, I was absolutely ecstatic, convinced that the Zelda universe was the ultimate fantasy world for me. Now, though, I don't know whether it's worth getting the next one, or - by extension of that - even the Wii U.

Maybe I'm just tired after a long game. :(

Grazza, I still don't understand what you want from a Zelda game. You want it to be structured and samey after 25 years, to know and predict the exact sequence of events you'll be going through to get to the next dungeon?

If you go back to Ocarina of Time or Majora's Mask, for example, you'd spend some play sessions in dungeons and some play sessions gaining access to them, travelling round the overworld, doing detective work and gaining clues.

Isn't that exactly what Skyward Sword offers? It seems even more structured than OOT anyway.

Grazza, I still don't understand what you want from a Zelda game. You want it to be structured and samey after 25 years, to know and predict the exact sequence of events you'll be going through to get to the next dungeon?

Yeah, I want the same thing (as OOT, MM, WW), but better. You can never know or predict the exact sequence of events, because different games are different games.

I'll tell you what I want: I want atmosphere, I want exploration. I want an overworld that has been designed for pleasure, instead of an obstacle course that impedes your progress at every step.

I want technical brilliance. Dungeons like Wind Waker's, that don't feel like cul-de-sacs. I actually want all the advances in controls that were made up to and including Wind Waker, but then forgotten about as though they never existed, like camera and shield control.

And how about lots of throwaway things just for the fun of it? Like how you could pick up a Darknut's sword in WW and chop down columns? Or ride a hog in Twilight Princess? Extend that to other weapons and other creatures, and you'd actually have a game world with a sense of fun.

Heck, you could even have towns and villages.

Above all, I would just like Zelda to turn back into something more like the games I used to love so much.

That's what it sounds like to me, too. Like he wants a rigid, repetitive structure which repeats throughout the entire gameplay sequence. Grazza, you want to feel grounded and unlock a dungeon in clearly defined stages, one after the other, then repeat? Sounds like you don't enjoy having the formula mixed up! For me that's a great part of keeping you on your toes, and keeping the game feeling vibrant and exciting. You don't get a moment to sit back and say "right, time to do x all over again", instead the story barrels forward and you have something new to do straight away.

The only exception was the trials, which is probably why I found them the weakest aspect of the game after the first one.

That's what it sounds like to me, too. Like he wants a rigid, repetitive structure which repeats throughout the entire gameplay sequence. Grazza, you want to feel grounded and unlock a dungeon in clearly defined stages, one after the other, then repeat? Sounds like you don't enjoy having the formula mixed up! For me that's a great part of keeping you on your toes, and keeping the game feeling vibrant and exciting. You don't get a moment to sit back and say "right, time to do x all over again", instead the story barrels forward and you have something new to do straight away.

The only exception was the trials, which is probably why I found them the weakest aspect of the game after the first one.

Yeah, repetition is part of what games are about, so the player can understand the pacing of it. I'm just looking forward to when I see the Wind Waker formula applied to another Zelda. Not necessarily the Sea (although I very much liked that), just how advanced it felt.

I didn't know we were allowed to mention the Trials, but I didn't enjoy them either. Too much potential to spend a long time on them and then fail. That's the formula for frustrating gameplay.

As I say, I can't explain myself fully, what with this being the spoiler-free thread. Maybe I should have a go though:

Hub world (actually very good)

Dungeon-type overworlds

Dungeons

Trials

Etc, etc...

Sorry if that last post was a bit heated, @Ronnie. I won't delete it, as it wasn't personal and I meant all the things about what I'd like to see. No offence intended, that's all.

Am I the only one who thinks Hyrule Field in OoT was a big, empty wasteland?

Depends if you mean now, or when you first played the game. In 1998, it was this amazing, sprawling landscape, bigger than any landmass you'd ever wandered across in a 3D game. It seemed to go on forever, but before you got bored of forward-rolling from A to B, it got dark and you were attacked by Stalchildren. There was always something new and interesting in the distance (Castle? Mountain? River? Weird plant thing? Poe?) and, when you didn't know the game so well you could draw the map with your eyes closed, all of that was exciting enough to keep it amazing, despite its simplicity.

TP tried to recreate this overworld, but to me it didn't bring it to life enough. They should've made it look like a more plausible world. Taken out the dividers and the chasms and put in some traveling NPCs or some enemy camps. Personally I don't think Skyward Sword resolved this issue, I think it just sidestepped it altogether, the same way Wind Waker did. I'm not sure which I prefer, but the Sea was definitely a more interesting place than the sky. That said, the Sky wasn't so important, and it was quite a nice change to make the central hub less of a necessity.

In a sense, the whole sky is like the equivalent of Windfall Island, which was the natural evolution of Kakariko Village. TP didn't really fit the formula at all.

Edited by Shorty

Every time I think of Wind Waker, I'm reminded of the awesome Mirror Shield puzzle at the end of on of the dungeons where you have to use that winged girl and other mirrors to reflect the light where you wanted it. Took me ages to suss everything out, and it's such a shame that you are unable to control your shield in the same way in the last two 3D Zelda games.

Maybe the Wii U iteration will use a M+ nunchuk? Could be some good puzzles there.

This game is a real contender for worst soundtrack in a Zelda game. The music is so totally lacklustre and forgettable. After Wind Waker and Mario Galaxy, this is what we get?? And is it so much to ask for a few seconds of traditional Zelda music?? There seems to be less and less with each passing game.

The visuals however, are stunning.

This game is a real contender for worst soundtrack in a Zelda game. The music is so totally lacklustre and forgettable. After Wind Waker and Mario Galaxy, this is what we get?? And is it so much to ask for a few seconds of traditional Zelda music?? There seems to be less and less with each passing game.

The visuals however, are stunning.

I'll give you that the soundtrack does miss the mark on occasion (one of two of the dungeons had horrible tracks) but I think in general, the soundtrack is superb. The orchestrations of the classic Zelda songs sound great and the new pieces effortlessly fit in with some of the series' best. That's just my opinion though.

I do feel, however, that clamouring for more traditional Zelda music is another area where future entries could get bogged down. Yes, it's great to hear classic pieces redone, and I'm sure that will never go away, but each title needs to distinguish itself with its own music/style. SS does its own thing, and sounds great just as Wind Waker did for doing its own thing, and I do feel that the music here matches up with the visuals better than any other Zelda game to date.

For me, SS and OoT are the pinnacle of the series, followed by TP then WW then MM... ALttP follows with LoZ and AoL after that.

I just don't get the hate.

I don't get the hate either, but you just put TP ahead of ALttP, WW and MM, so I guess we'll just have to accept that some people are insane :blank:

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!