Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Wii U's Online

Retro_Link

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well nintendo wifi connection (is that was it's called?) was powered by gamespy, plus I think there were some people involved from the warp pipe project. Perhaps they want to move to a more involved system and get away from the friend codes business.

Well EA's Autolog feature for the Need For Speed games, and the similar ones being used in their other titles, is a robust system keeping you up to date on everything happening online, with your friends or just about anyone playing, so if that's the basis for the WiiU's online setup, something much more open and wide spread, then I'm all for it.

I'm just very happy that they've confirmed cutting edge graphics and power as well as the online we've all been waiting for.

This new console seems everything the 'hardcore' has been asking for but very Nintendo at the same time!

But it's still not good enough for some people, which is ridiculous.

Nintendo can't win it seems with certain crowds.

I personally think it looks fucking awesome, And I can't wait to get my hands on one!

I'm just very happy that they've confirmed cutting edge graphics and power as well as the online we've all been waiting for.

This new console seems everything the 'hardcore' has been asking for but very Nintendo at the same time!

Best description I have read so far! Competitive in terms of graphics and online features, while at the same time retaining that special Nintendo something. It's hard to explain, but with many Nintendo games I get a sort of fuzzy feeling, something which is lacking on the other consoles, and which Nintendo is the master of.

http://n-europe.com/news.php?nid=15687

E3 2011 Breaking: Wii U Ditching Friend Codes

It seems as if Nintendo has done away with friend codes in favour of a unified singular account.

Many fans have been critical of Nintendo for their reliance on 'friend codes', a random 12 digit figure for each game that users must swap to play together. When the Nintendo 3DS was announced earlier in the year it did away with friend codes in favour of just one console code and it seems Nintendo are taking this one step further with the Wii U.

Ubisoft producer Adrian Blunt has told MTV that the friend codes system is coming to an end. When asked about Ghost Recon Online and how suitable it would be for the Wii U Mr. Blunt states that machine-assigned accounts are out and individual accounts are in, equivalent to the gamertags found on Xbox Live.

While Adrian Blunt said he can't confirm whether or not achievement-like features will be include "at the moment" he did comment that multiplayer online gaming will be easier with the Wii U than it ever was with the Wii:

"Also the ability to easily find friends. Rather than using friend codes, which we've had in the past, we're able to connect players in a much easier way, which allows us to have a community that's playing together in the game."

Also from twitter

geoffkeighley

Sounds like each game on Wii-U has to set up its own online network.....no unifying Nintendo service, at least not yet. Box checked?

geoffkeighley

I wonder if Nintendo's online strategy is to let devs control online themselves and they get 100 percent of revenue, not 70?

Wait, wouldn't that mean we'd have to create tons of different accounts for different developers' online space?

How did you get there?

They are saying that the servers are handled by the devs. It's the same on XBL but you use a central account for all of them.

Stop panicking.

How did you get there?

They are saying that the servers are handled by the devs. It's the same on XBL but you use a central account for all of them.

Stop panicking.

No panick, I'm just not as knowledgable about all this online fo'shizzle as some of you guys with a PS3 or an XBOXB360:kiss:

It's also mere speculation by Keighley, isn't it?

Anyway, you're right. We should stop panicking and save that for some time next year, when they reveal their new integrated online system. Complete with carrier pigeon based messaging and rain dance routine for adding friends. ;)

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!