N-Europe

Eurovision Dusseldorf 2011

Beast

All of the Eastern European countries clearly concentrated on voting for each other, in terms of rigged-up-ness. I mean, Azerbaijan's song REALLY did not stand out (to me, at least).

I'm saying it in general because the decent songs 1/2 the time don't get high on the list. As Eddie said, the Eastern European countries all vote high for each other thus. The songs over in that direction may not be any good, but somehow they win.

I know that Eastern European countries do well (which is one of the reasons results don't matter), but haven't Germany and Norway won recently too? Didn't Italy and Ireland do well now?

It's not a matter of being rigged, it's a matter of voters having bad taste :heh:

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know that Eastern European countries do well (which is one of the reasons results don't matter), but haven't Germany and Norway won recently too? Didn't Italy and Ireland do well now?

It's not a matter of being rigged, it's a matter of voters having bad taste :heh:

I too also believe that countries have bad taste in music, even our own country. How can the UK even give Jedward 12 points is beyond me. It's all this factory driven Cowell product that we have on TV.

But again, the rigging was obvious. Now 50% of the vote comes from Judges and 50% from the viewers, so not so bad with the rigging.

The votes aren't "rigged"... Let's be honest here.

It's just people being idiots and voting for neighbouring countries a lot of the time..

But beyond that you could argue, countries near each other have "similiar" tastes in music for better or for worse.

The votes aren't "rigged"... Let's be honest here.

It's just people being idiots and voting for neighbouring countries a lot of the time..

But beyond that you could argue, countries near each other have "similiar" tastes in music for better or for worse.

Yeah, what I meant by rigged is what Jonnas said about the results not mattering, because people aren't voting objectively. You made a good point about similar tastes too, but I don't think that's as strong as people wanting to support neighbouring countries.

Just saw the final on tape, so I couldn't vote.

I'm okay with Azerbaijan winning, but it was far from my favourite. At least it wasn't Sweden.

My favourites were Germany(I'm in love with that girl), Georgia and Estonia. Too bad about the last one, don't understand why. Also Switzerland, getting last place, totally undeserved.

Guess we will see Italy as a regular again, well done.

Yeah, what I meant by rigged is what Jonnas said about the results not mattering, because people aren't voting objectively. You made a good point about similar tastes too, but I don't think that's as strong as people wanting to support neighbouring countries.

Certainly, but its the argument I suppose the Eurovision themselves could make..

Azerbaijan I believe got 12 from 3 of their neighbouring countries. If you want a Sure-fire result though:

Cyprus will ALWAYS give 12 to Greece and Greece will ALWAYS give 12 to Cyprus.

It's rather sad really. I know it's hard to understand but as cynical Irish people, we'd hardly give full marks to England the whole time and the only reason England did it for us was because of Jedward.

Certainly, but its the argument I suppose the Eurovision themselves could make..

Azerbaijan I believe got 12 from 3 of their neighbouring countries. If you want a Sure-fire result though:

Cyprus will ALWAYS give 12 to Greece and Greece will ALWAYS give 12 to Cyprus.

It's rather sad really. I know it's hard to understand but as cynical Irish people, we'd hardly give full marks to England the whole time and the only reason England did it for us was because of Jedward.

And Portugal and Spain always give 12 to each other!

I read that Azerbaijan only got 12 from those three countries that you mention, so it was in no way a runaway winner like some previous ones have been.

I don't mind neighbouring countries giving each other 12 points. That's not what decides the winner, like Jayseven said, if so the same country would win each year.

NO but it sure as hell helps... An impartial Jury system was always better but it made less money.

They'll never get rid of televoting because of this...and at the same time, the competition will never be properly fair.

But this year it so HAPPENED that a decent song won and I enjoyed the runner ups too.

Best part of this all was the Eurovision drinking game.

Pick a country, 1-7 points take a sip, 8-12 drink half your drink.

The person who picked the country with the most points and the person who picked the country who the least points of the countries picked get the victory/loser drink.

Two players picked Iceland and Hungary and were at the bottom of our list for nearly the entire show.

When Hungary gave Iceland 12 points, Iceland passed Hungary which meant that the Hungary player had to drink the loser drink

It was a mix of sour apple Mickey Finn, Sambuca, Rose Wine and almond liqueur.

I too also believe that countries have bad taste in music, even our own country. How can the UK even give Jedward 12 points is beyond me. It's all this factory driven Cowell product that we have on TV.

I'd say they're the antithesis of that, which is why they amuse us so much. X-Factor 2009... every week Louis Walsh wheeled out his double act, John & Edward. Simon Cowell groaned, but it was very entertaining for a lot of viewers.

And I find it pretty encouraging that the UK got 100 points this year. That means Europe hates us slightly less than they used to. You never know, if we ever enter a good song + good singer, we might even win! ;)

And Portugal and Spain always give 12 to each other!

Actually, we're more like UK and Ireland. Portugal tends to give Spain points and vice-versa (to a lesser extent), but not if the song is worthless.

Andorra, on the other hand...

I read that Azerbaijan only got 12 from those three countries that you mention, so it was in no way a runaway winner like some previous ones have been.

Azerbaijan got 8-10 from everyone, I think. It wasn't just the neighbours.

Azerbaijan was predicted to score highly from the start.

You can't blame it all on neighbouring countries or East-European countries all voting for each other. Besides, the UK and Ireland gave each other high scores too, and both songs were pretty bad. =P

I actually thought it was a really poor Eurovision all round, I didn;t think any of the songs were particularly good or stand out... maybe why there was no runaway songs in the voting.

Blue wasn't that bad, it wasn't great either, maybe deserved to do a little better than it did, and maybe would have if we were liked. :p

I actually thought it was a really poor Eurovision all round, I didn;t think any of the songs were particularly good or stand out... maybe why there was no runaway songs in the voting.

Blue wasn't that bad, it wasn't great either, maybe deserved to do a little better than it did, and maybe would have if we were liked. :p

It has nothing to do with you being liked or not. The song just wasn't good, the singing was horrible.

About the points, they applied a new system this year so it would be more difficult to predict the winner. That way it's supposed to be a bit more "exciting" and less predictable or whatever. I think it was sort of proven with Italy moving from out of nowhere to the second spot heh.

The song just wasn't good, the singing was horrible.
Tbh I'm really not fussed about where we came or Eurovision... but worse songs and singing finished higher... and even won it!

UK music doesn't have the same European feel that a lot of the other songs do anyway, were not really a great fit for the show.

Not that that song is representative of what the UK has to offer mind! :p Although I bet if someone like

Edited by Retro_Link

UK music doesn't have the same European feel that a lot of the other songs do anyway, were not really a great fit for the show.

Almost everyone sends pop songs in English. I don't see the difference in style, honestly.

EDIT: Whoa, Retro_Link ninja'd his own post :heh:

It's a no contest. Our song was much better than Ireland's trash.

Can't complain with the winner. It's been in my head all day.

Anyway, this is just a bit of fun. It doesn't actually mean all that much. So, lets not get too wound up.

Agreed.

As many have said, we only gave Ireland 12 points because it were Jedward. Anyone else, probably not as many points.

Think this is the first time in a while we've used an already established band, and we came 11th for it. Shows the EU doesn't hate us as much, which is probably 1/2 the reason why we ranked lower down the result list in recent years.