Alternative Vote, please vote!

Rummy

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AV is awesome. We have it here already!

Get and vote yes you silly people.

I've just been and done the local and Stormont vote, woo.

My next door neighbour is running for local council in TUV. Voted for him locally but theres no way I'll vote to put TUV in stormont lol

The Conservatives are 'No' because AV will result in them loosing seats.

The Lib Dems, Greens, SNP, Plaid Cymru and various other small parties are backing the 'Yes' campaign because they only stand to gain from AV.

Labour are split because some of the Labour MPs know they'll lose their seats under AV. Overall the party stands to gain, it would weaken the Tory party (whom Labour would beat in almost all Labour/Tory marginals if AV is brought in) and they'd likely be the biggest single party for at least the next few elections.

AV is awesome. We have it here already!

Get and vote yes you silly people.

I've just been and done the local and Stormont vote, woo.

My next door neighbour is running for local council in TUV. Voted for him locally but theres no way I'll vote to put TUV in stormont lol

Unfortunately it seems education standards fell so much under Thatcher that the middle-aged population in this country can't understand what AV is. Honestly, so many of them think it a difficult system to understand. God help us if we ever adopt PR! :laughing:

Eh? Can some explain to me this Betfair stuff?

Obviously 'backing' the Yes to AV means you're betting on it to win. But why the hell has the 'lay' bet have more of a payout than 'backing' the no to AV majority?

I thought lay was voting for something not to win? =S

Low turnout at my polling station, we're talking dozens rather than hundreds of people this year. I abstained from voting in the local council elections, I've heard nothing of/from the candidates so it'd be unfair of me to vote on that.

I'm total opposite to that....Lib dems (who have had Harrogate seats for years) came round with tons of people and the Labour candidate personally come round and we had a chat. Was very interesting to hear his views.

Eh? Can some explain to me this Betfair stuff?

Obviously 'backing' the Yes to AV means you're betting on it to win. But why the hell has the 'lay' bet have more of a payout than 'backing' the no to AV majority?

I thought lay was voting for something not to win? =S

You're right. However, on Betfair the 'Lay' better stakes the 'Bet' better. Lay bets get great odds, but if it goes wrong then you have to pay in more.

As an example, if you place a £10 Lay bet at 32-1 on 'Yes' being the outcome of today's vote and the result is 'No' then you win £320. If the result is 'Yes' then you have to pay in that figure, as the winnings of the 'Bet' better that you were matched to.

In a nutshell, Lay betting is a massive gamble. You get the best chance of winning, but it comes at the risk of massive liability.

Unfortunately it seems education standards fell so much under Thatcher that the middle-aged population in this country can't understand what AV is. Honestly, so many of them think it a difficult system to understand. God help us if we ever adopt PR! :laughing:

Rather, I've been hearing that around and it's slightly frightening. It's all very well arguing against AV because you prefer another system for whatever reason, but if you genuinely think AV is "too complicated" you're probably the sort of person who's sole intellectual contact is with their goldfish.

I voted. :D voting is fun. :yay:

I have this image of the counters opening your ballot and being hurled against the wall by the rainbows and unicorns exploding from within.

So I'm a little drunk. I went to vote a bit inconsequently and caught myself off guard, no constituency vote here so it was just on AV and after all I decided to vote No as voting yes was pointless given the opinion polls and I might as well vote no cos that's how it's going to go anyway. At least now I can say how I was cool and did what everyone else did, rather than being defeated by the system. It was a clear loss from the reported representation of the polls anyway, so at least I can ease my conscience.

So I'm a little drunk. I went to vote a bit inconsequently and caught myself off guard, no constituency vote here so it was just on AV and after all I decided to vote No as voting yes was pointless given the opinion polls and I might as well vote no cos that's how it's going to go anyway. At least now I can say how I was cool and did what everyone else did, rather than being defeated by the system. It was a clear loss from the reported representation of the polls anyway, so at least I can ease my conscience.

:nono: .

Why do people care about 'winning' when you're voting? Surely you vote for what you want and if you don't get it, it's just because more people want the other thing. You shouldn't just guess what the outcome will be and vote that way to look cool...

Oh the folly of drunk people.

Well it's going to be Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales that decide the AV referendum, due to the low turnout in England due to no major elections taking place, so hopefully the fact that all three of those regions already use alternative voting systems to FPTP for electing their local parliament members we'll hopefully see a positive result.

I'm not hopeful though ;)

Please tell me you're joking.

Well it's going to be Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales that decide the AV referendum, due to the low turnout in England due to no major elections taking place, so hopefully the fact that all three of those regions already use alternative voting systems to FPTP for electing their local parliament members we'll hopefully see a positive result.

I'm not hopeful though ;)

I thought Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland used the d'Hondt method of party-list proportional representation? It's not the same as AV.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!