Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Your School Experience?

Happenstance

I spent most of my youth in some sort of fugue from about P3 until leaving after my fifth year of secondary. Was bullied for most of it (mostly homophobic bullying for some reason), a problem which eventually followed me through four different schools. Finally overcame that, got a good year and a a bit where everything seemed to go well, then something clicked in my brain during my 5th year and I started to struggle very badly at all my school work including subjects I usually breezed. Finished every day feeling totally and mentally destroyed. Almost did a 6th year but mercifully my mother enrolled me in the local college instead and ended up studying acting for two years - just what I needed. Then finally found "my people" during my writing degree.

I remember being told in secondary school these were the best years of life and thinking that, if that were really the case, I may as well find a ditch to go die in. Luckily they fucking lied to me. My life has been progressively improving since, sometimes day-on-day. I'm not exactly orbiting in the stratosphere (yet) but situation improving steadily, force 6, rising.

Edited by gaggle64

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

School, looking back, felt so irrelevant. Since I always knew things before the teacher taught it. Like, I learned pretty quickly not to put up my hand and answer questions, because ultimately was a masturbatory exercise.

[i remember once we had a trainee-teacher being assessed, for maths, and he was (really badly) introducing us to binomial expansion, and having expanded (x+y)^3 and (x + y)^4 tediously slowly on the board, he asked us: "So, any thoughts?", and I, with such "..." in my voice said: "Well yeah, the coefficients are the entries of the fourth row of Pascal's triangle..."

And instead of him being like "Ah, yes, well done!", he just looked crushed, because he blatantly didn't anticipate anyone would get it so quickly.]

It pretty much wasn't till A-Level that lessons became relevant. I certainly never did any homework till A-Level. [Apart from Latin, which felt stunningly fresh and new, and something I didn't know about.]

I was never bullied, just had run-ins with cunts. "Came out" when I was like 13/14/15, [it was never a discrete event], inverted commas because it was always pretty obvious anyway. Had a fair share of tribulations, enough to be like: "Yeah, homophobia is whack", but realistically nothing bad. A guy got internally suspended for writing "Batty Boy" on my locker -- which I watched/allowed him to do, lol. Pretty much me being evil and manipulative, but cunt deserved it ultimately.

In 5th/6th year, I was 5 minutes late about 80% of the time. I don't understand why. The logical thing would be to get up 5 minutes earlier, but that never happened. I think I enjoyed the ability to break rules, but not enough to actually be punished for it.

Spent the majority of my final year hiding from the rector (Headteacher) because I had an ear piercing illegitimately. Every time I met him he'd tell me to take it out, and see him at some point to talk about it. I never went to see him, because what would he have to say: "We're a cunty right-wing school, and you're a fag, and that's unacceptable." Wasn't articulate enough to come at him with a feminist/trans argument back then.

And (at my first school, the good one) we had to have a shower. As in the teacher would be in the changing room, making sure we had one.

:/

I had this in my school. We used to have a P.E teacher who used to block the doorway out until we all had a shower. It was risky at one time because I was the last one going out and he told me to have a shower. I told him I had one and he called me a liar. I just told him I would have one when I got home because I hate the ones here and he said that I must have a shower now or I'll get a week's worth of detention so I said "fine" and walked off. I didn't get the detentions in the end.

However, in Year 10, he became a cookery teacher and one of the times, my mate got lippy and the teacher threw him into the storage cupboard and locked it. He left him in there for a couple of hours. He apparently had a nervous breakdown and left school.

In 5th/6th year, I was 5 minutes late about 80% of the time. I don't understand why. The logical thing would be to get up 5 minutes earlier, but that never happened. I think I enjoyed the ability to break rules, but not enough to actually be punished for it.

Bastard, I would turn up a few minutes before I was meant to be there, but my tutor would mark me down as late as apparently "students are meant to be in school 10 minutes before registration. Throughout secondary school, I must have gotten at least 100 detentions for lateness, but only went to maybe 5 as my dad dropped be off almost every day on his way to work, and knew exactly what time I got to school.

Yeah, I did this too. It became kind of a running joke, I would never be in school on time in the morning or after lunch. The teacher got to the point where he would just mark me present even if I wasn't there, to save the hassle.

Like a few others, I think it'd be interesting to go back with the knowledge I know and replay my high school days, although I think things would probably still pan out exactly as they have done.

High school (the same as Paj and Chair) was a mixed bag for me, at least in the first year and half of the second. I still remember my first day, walking into the wrong room and having 20 or so people who would eventually become class mates stare at me wasn't the best way to start things off. :laughing: I was bullied in my first year (and I admit, I'm shocked to see just how many people were bullied) but I soon decided to take their joy of it away, initially by kicking a few asses (I was respondible for my entire class getting detention for a week) and then by making the jokes about myself first so they couldn't. With little joy to be gotten from it, they stopped by the end of the first year.

That was the worst of it. Everything else was good (except the teachers particularly the art teachers who became a constant barrier against which I had to struggle and a few run ins with the rector, Mr. Light, who was a scary, scary man). A lot of good memories from there, strangely all involving something getting broken be it the heating in the maths block, the power in the language block or a chair in biology. Some genuinely nice people (my physics teacher, a New Zealander, was bonkers and was so funny), and a lot of stuck up pricks who needed, and still need, taking down a peg or two.

Apart from a lingering regret of missed opportunity with a girl I really, really liked and who liked me also, it was fun for the most part; a necessary part of life that has led me to where I am now. As I said, it'd be interesting to back with the knowledge I have now but realistically, I wouldn't go back and change anything, even the bullying. It was an experience that, try as hard as I might, I'll never be able to forget, mainly because of that one regret. Wonder what she's up to nowadays ;):laughing:

I generally found school a bit rubbish. The only time I was properly bullied was early on in my primary school, which had a stupid "no blame" bullying scheme where you make the bully realise that they're being nasty, which somewhat fails to realise that being nasty and knowing it is the point of bullying. :heh: But once that died down things were mostly okay - I had a good group of friends, although the school was very odd, and I kept getting in trouble for all sorts of bizarre things that weren't my fault. And the vast amount of compulsory sport was rubbish. Secondary school was worse though - while I no longer got in trouble (despite acting the same as before), the atmosphere was a lot more bitchy to the extent where you could only ever really make acquaintances rather than friends. Which was okay I guess, but a bit dull, and I was never in any groups that did much outside school. Things improved in the last few years (including sixth form) when I got more interested in academia (previously my main interest was computer games), and I had one really awesome maths teacher, who taught us all sorts of stuff that was off the syllabus. Which made me a total geek, of course, and lots of people took the piss, but usually not in an awful way. But yeah, on the whole school was a bit boring, and once I went to university, everything got far more awesome, socially as well as academically.

I'm never really able to tell exactly when you're joking, Coolness! :p You're such a strange individual that nothing seems entirely implausible for you. :heh:

True. :heh:

For instance today I managed to lodge a Capri Sun straw cover in my throat and I had to make myself sick to get it out.

Mostly of what I said though is actually true I was just having fun with some of it. :)

Seriously though when I was younger in Year 8 someone took my bag I chased after them took them to the ground and then he became my friend. :D

My school was rather...quiet. There weren't really any bullies and for the most part everyone got on. Sixth form was definitely the best part, and kind of felt like a fresh start as the group of friends I hung around didn't stay on. The entire school seemed to change once I started sixth form. The pupils treat you differently as though you had "authority" - helped by the different "uniforms" (i.e. something fairly smart that was black/white), lessons were different as you had free periods and teachers were much friendlier - you could pretty much talk to them about anything.

The main issue for me at school was that my mum worked there, so I couldn't really get into trouble without her knowing.

I find the whole 'Put up your hand' thing quite funny. Of course my class and I did it when we were like 7/8. Yet, currently it's just a matter of shouting it out. Particularly in our Math's class. I love how it sounds. The cacophony of variables.

I also find that the "cliques" of certain groups holds true in most schools. There's no nastiness in it though. Everyone is generally nice to everyone.

Take today as an example, walking down a street to meet up with a few friends and the equivalent of, say, the "plastics" all asked me if I was alone and wanted to sit with them. D'awww :blush:

I quite enjoyed Primary School. Mostly because everyone seemed to be friends with each other there, and we used to have great break-times. We didn't have a football, so we used to use a small coca cola bottle, with our jumpers as goalposts. I was goalkeeper. Also, we played on concrete, and I used to love diving about on that. We all felt hardcore.

Secondary School started off a bit shitly, before getting better as the years went by. Year 10-onwards was brilliant. Had a great set of mates who I am mostly still friends with, and it started to shape the person I wanted to be. I loved Maths in Primary school, but didn't enjoy it in Secondary, as it seemed to jump up a notch at around year 9. Didn't like that. Didn't seem fun anymore.

It was a good experience. Quite a rough-ish school, but I managed alright. Used to get in a few fights, particularly at around year 8. I once had a fight with a kid in my year group because he threw my deodorant can across the yard. I asked him to get it back, he refused, so I gave it to him square in the face. I had a reeeeeeally short temper, although my fuse gradually got longer as each year went by. Also remember having a fight in Year 7 because some prick painted all over my picture.

Can't say I've really enjoyed any of my school experiences. Primary school was okay because it's mostly just fun, doesn't feel like you need to do any work. Didn't really have friends though; I'd usually be the one to be picked last in PE and all that.

Didn't change much in secondary school. Didn't really have any friends until 9th or 10th grade I think. Was a small group of about six of us. We weren't close but it was nice to finally have a "group" to belong to. Even though right now I don't really see/speak to any of them anymore.

Never really got bullied, just had a few comments here and there, didn't really get invited to anything etc. Guess I got used to it, but still isn't nice to deal with.

Uni was bleh cause I hated the course (animation), the city (Brussels), the people I lived with (arseholes) and there were only about 12 people in my year. Only 6 by the time I left. Got into a depression so left everything behind.

Got onto my Graphic Design course. Had three friends, quite enjoyed doing stuff with them. Don't really see them anymore now, but it's ok. I can still contact them, and we might still meet up a few times in the future. Just happy I didn't have to go through the course all alone, and these people were nice friends. Three completely different people, but we all compliment each other I think.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!