Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Your School Experience?

Happenstance

Dunno why but this morning ive been thinking a lot about my time in secondary school and how I seem to regret a lot about it, both academically and socially.

I had a good group of friends and we all did things every now and again but I always felt like we should have been doing more. Pretty much the same with me and lessons, I always did enough to get along comfortably but looking back I really do wish id put more effort into learning as its something I quite enjoy doing now.

Its probably because I watched (and still watch I guess) a lot of US shows and seeing how their schools were shown with a lot more activities etc I just felt school should have been a better time somehow.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always keep thinking how I'd do if I went back in time and took school knowing all the stuff I know now. Especially with the ladies. I await the jokes.

That and American school. And to be a teacher and tell the athelete's to sit the fuck down, they're not getting out of my classes to "run laps".

I did well academically, but it was still parallel to hell. I went to pretty much the poshest school in the northern part of the country, and I stood out like a sore thumb, mostly because I'm a loudmouth miscreant, and was consistently in some sort of trouble with the authorities. Also; it was an all boys school.

I did well academically, but it was still parallel to hell. I went to pretty much the poshest school in the northern part of the country, and I stood out like a sore thumb, mostly because I'm a loudmouth miscreant, and was consistently in some sort of trouble with the authorities. Also; it was an all boys school.

Where did you go, out of interest? I know you live not far from me in Cheshire.

I often wish I could go back to year 7 with everything I know now, it'd be fun.

I would love to be able to go back to school because I would know exactly how much I could get away with in terms of having a laugh during class etc.

In terms of my experience; I think it got better as it went on. I went to secondary school as a shy wee boy and came out the other end much more confident. I put this partly to getting Xbox Live and having to shout at the noobs in my team (people from here, mostly) to do what I need them to do so we could win the game. I always had some good friends in school but I didn't really do much with them until I was 15/16 (going into town for the town, and then properly at 17 when I started drinking. School events where everyone was there, big parties, discos, Christmas Dance were always the best becauase absolutely everyone was there and they were all steaming.

Where did you go, out of interest? I know you live not far from me in Cheshire.

I often wish I could go back to year 7 with everything I know now, it'd be fun.

I went to Manchester Grammar School. Not far from the Manchester Uni campus actually

My school experience was 50/50 for me. It was good because me and my then-friends had a great laugh in the Summer and is something I'll never forget. It was bad because I was bullied because of my weight. I don't normally regret anything but the one thing I do regret is not doing anything sooner about it. It took me until I was in Year 9 to realise that the only way these guys would stop bullying me was to hit them. So I did. And after a few fights, it stopped. I know I shouldn't have had to resort to violence but teachers had no effect in my school.

In the area of education, I don't regret anything. I tried my best and did what I could. Always done my homework and always studied and, while it's true I didn't get the highest marks, I'm still proud of them because at least I can say I tried my best and gave it 100% which is something not a lot of people in my year could really say since they either missed the tests or didn't study. However, given the chance to go back and do it all again, I'd accept.

I went to Manchester Grammar School. Not far from the Manchester Uni campus actually

Cool, a couple of my friends went there. Don't suppose you know Brian Law or Anthony Lee? Probably a stretch to ask but still. I went to Sale Grammar.

This is a story I often tell, until I one day was complaining about it to my Dad and realised how much he regretted making it happen. Cue epic guilt for bringing it up.

In year 7, I had a best friend who lived over the road, we were both very competitive in everything, including academic stuff. I remember doing my first ever algebra lesson and that moment when it clicks, and you understand how variables replace numbers. After that I really got into maths, used to do homework at said friends and actually enjoyed it. Also was one of the top students in my year in German (pretty good in a school with 8 classes per year), even better than aforementioned friend. He on the other hand was better at science etc etc.

But in Year 8, I ended up changing schools. My next secondary school was nowhere near as good, kids slacked off, didn't have any academically minded friends (most of the smart kids were bullied) and the German department was an absolute joke. I mean, completely, like that class out of Dangerous Minds.

When GCSEs rolled around, I got fairly average grades, some As and Cs, mostly Bs. The friend I had been competitive with in Year 7 got something like 5 A*s and 4 As, and is now studying medicine in Prague. Just can't help but wonder where I would be if I hadn't moved!

School itself was average, friend groups changed a few times, got in a lot of trouble, didn't really enjoy it until years 10 and 11 where suddenly got in with a much better crowd and now I actually kinda miss that from time to time.

I really enjoyed school as a whole. I think it was a pretty unique year-group - sure everyone had their group of friends, but it genuinely felt like everyone was basically even with each other. Like you could talk to anyone and everyone without it being weird.

Most people I tell this to are very suprised. I don't understand if all these american teen shows are exaggerations or not, seems so silly. I have a feeling they aren't, the portrayal of cliques like that is so consistent. :/

Maybe it was just my experience, I felt like I belonged to the year group as a whole. Which is very nice.

It's a private school that was all-boys until 16/17 when girls appeared. Now it's co-ed throughout the years.

EDIT: I don't understand the idea that smart kids get bullied - ugh. Literally the smartest people in our year were usually "cool" too. Though it felt like the majority of the year were pretty intlelligent anyway. And there weren't any "bullies", really.

Edited by Paj!

I was a good student, did the work and nothing else. I wasn't in any 'group' so I spoke to pretty much everyone. I'd go play football with the "cool" kids one day, the next day I'd sit in the art classroom with another group of people, then another day I'd be sat in the computer room with another group of other people.

When it came to the exams in my final year I underperformed. Looking back I regret not living up to the standards my really good looking Science teacher had for me, I feel like I let her down. The only good thing I can take from it is that I managed to take a higher level maths paper and do alright in it.

I used to think about this regularly until recently when I realised there's nothing I can change about the past now, I might aswell get on with changing the future.

In years 8 and 9 I was bullied pretty badly and didn't have many good friends. They wouldn't stick up for me and would sometimes join in to be part of the group, which was why they aren't y friends any more. In year 10 I went to a new form and made friends with people I'm still friends with now. Extra-curricular activities were good at my school and I did plenty of sport and music and stuff, which helped me become more confident. Getting a girlfriend in year 10 helped a lot too, despite the fact she was a bitch :) I certainly would do a few things differently now, but at the same time it's made me who I am so *shrug*

As for studying, I was in a grammar school too (all boys) and was bullied because I was one of the better students. I wasn't amazing, but I was pretty good and left with results I'm really proud of. I beat my predictions at A level and genuinely couldn't believe it. I wouldn't have gotten those results at another school, so I certainly wouldn't have wanted to go somewhere else. And the bullies are now all drug addicts or doing nothing with their lives, while I'm really happy, so in the end I guess I win :)

I miss primary school more. Everyone was friends in primary school but I had a close group of 3 friends (and me) who all lived around a park so we went there pretty much every day during the summer and ended up round someone's house afterwards. Great times.

Had a good group of friends in secondary school but I echo Happenstance's sentiment about not doing enough stuff socially together. I definitely agree with not doing enough in lessons too, I would always get fairly good marks without revising/trying so I wouldn't bother too much. If I'd worked a bit harder I probably could have got more A's but I'm happy with B's and C's :p

And then I moved to Swindon due to my dad getting married again so there goes my group of friends again. Made new friends in college and did more social stuff together than ever before so it worked out quite well, though I do miss my old friends. Things have kind of fizzled out again though but that's probably due to me being at work so much now :(

EDIT: I don't understand the idea that smart kids get bullied - ugh. Literally the smartest people in our year were usually "cool" too. Though it felt like the majority of the year were pretty intlelligent anyway. And there weren't any "bullies", really.

Uh-huh.

I feel the astonishment of logic though. Smart = outcast, Rebel = cool.

Written beautifully by Maddox:

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=dumbassjocks

Although round here the results have been in reverse.

The thing I'm disappointed in is that quite a lot of the dickheads from my school have seemingly managed to do alright for themselves and aren't drug addicts/ living a crap life.

As harsh as that sounds, I always wanted the people to work hard to be rewarded and those scumnags to have a crap life :p

I'm quite bitter about secondary school. I would say I didn't have the stereotypical "terrible" schooldays, but 16 years later I still can't make much sense of it, so perhaps it was worse than I'll admit.

I fitted in until Year 8, when I went off the rails, I suppose. Until then I'd been pretty friendly with the intelligent kids and it was a bit like primary school. I then started drifting away from them and became quite unpopular with a lot of the others. One problem is they started to be interested in more "adult" things like alcohol, clubs etc, and I wasn't interested in that. I wasn't bullied, that would give you the wrong impression, but it was violent at times.

School taught me that if I left my defences open, I'd be attacked. If I left something unattended, it'd be stolen. If I didn't do the same as everyone else, I wouldn't fit in.

If that's what school's for, unfortunately, it worked.

Meh. School was shit. I was bullied a bit/lot depending on how you look at it. Well. Yeah. Well actually, my first secondary school was great, not bullied, had fun, good teachers and some street cred (my older sister was in the "not-losers"/"cool") group in Year 11 when I joined, so (or rather, year 10 when I was in year 7) and I hung out with them occasionally. Had a girlfriend or two. Made some great friends. Could be a nerd and no one cared.

But when we moved to Chesham it changed. At first it was very promising, the group of guys who....introduced themselves/let me hang out with them were nice guys, really nice, and all of them solid guys. A few of the other people in my class were not nice, and one or two were just...disgustingly horrible (to most people who couldn't defend themselves).

I was punched on the arm repeatedly every morning whilst waiting for the form teacher to come in. This got to the point where my mum saw my arm once and it was just covered in bruises so she rang the school up. :/

Cue massively embarrassing moment where the head of year comes into our form room, takes me into a side room, and then emerges showing my arm to the class and yelling at them all.

I mean it stopped it but yeah. The two most dickish people still hit/kicked all through the school life. Apart from that it wasn't too bad, but one time I was spat in the face by a podgy little shit in the year below me. Obv for no reason.

But the worst thing was Art. My favourite lesson, one of the only lessons I gave too much of a shit about, and one of the fewer lessons in which I was with my best friend (who was in a different form), and in that the teacher couldn't massively control the class. Not in a "the whole class was shouty/talky/noisy" but just in a....if stuff happens, he couldn't do anything way. The class was typically well behaved, but the table behind my best friend and I consistently bullied me. Kicking me really hard any time I left my desk, punching, pushing, throwing compasses at my back. That was fun. So they ruined my favourite lesson for three and a half years.

And the school was fucking shit. Terrible. Mostly shit teachers who couldn't control the class and couldn't teach shit. Shit loads of bullying and horrible students.

Only real class where I never ever got bullied was Geography, which was pretty awesome, the class had a laugh AT the teacher, but he must have found some of it funny as he laughed along too a lot of the time (as in, we weren't like shouting over him and stuff, nothing bad like that as we were all pretty intelligent and seemed to want to learn) but we'd do stuff like ~all agree before the lesson started/before he came in, that at precisely 2:16pm, we would all make farm yard noises. It was amazing.

But school was fucking shit.

is now studying medicine in Prague. Just can't help but wonder where I would be if I hadn't moved!

You could be where he is if you wanted to. He's paying for it, you know... Medicine in Prague/Brno is a private Uni. Not saying he had bad grades, but he's kind of dumb if he went to study medicine in Prague as an option... it's usually a last resort...

Nah he just went as placement I believe as part of a course at a UK Uni. And I couldn't be there, my understanding of Chemistry and Biology did a u-turn when I changed schools.

I only wonder out of curiosity, where the other side of that fork in my life might have lead to. Ultimately I'm happy with where I ended up :)

but the table behind my best friend and I consistently bullied me.
Fucking tables. They're so inconsiderate.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!