Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

General Movie Thread

Dyson

Beauty and the Beast 2017 trailer. I have officially lost my shit! I've seen the trailer 10 times. The music, the castle, Emma Watson...it gives me goosebumps and IT'S FUCKING BEAUTY AND THE BEAST!!!

I haven't been this excited for a film since Deathly Hallows: Part 2!

Ewan McGregor could be good, could be terrible. Dan Stephens is an odd one though. I wonder if they're going to modify his voice when he's in Beast Mode to make him more...gruff.

I think it'll be fantastic. Quite a few people who did the 1991 film are doing this one. I can not wait! My body, soul and life is ready for this film!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

As I said in my post right before yours @Animal :p...

I am 100% concerned about Ewan McGregor in this film. I find him to be somewhat average anyway, and he's not the best singer. This video does nothing to relieve that...

He also slightly makes it sound like he was cast due to how he'll look as Lumiere at the end of he film...

I also wish they'd given Anna Kendrick the role of Belle. IMO she looks more like her, is a confirmed singing talent, and exudes personality, whilst Emma Watson is to me, rather wooden. It even comes through in the one line and look she has in that teaser... which I won't judge her on, but has me concerned.

I want this to be amazing.

Was everything CGI in that trailer? like Jungle Book? or are they sets (maybe with an effect over them)?

Edited by Retro_Link

As I said in my post right before yours @Animal :p...

I am 100% concerned about Ewan McGregor in this film. I find him to be somewhat average anyway, and he's not the best singer. This video does nothing to relieve that...

He also slightly makes it sound like he was cast due to how he'll look as Lumiere at the end of he film...

I also wish they'd given Anna Kendrick the role of Belle. IMO she looks more like her, is a confirmed singing talent, and exudes personality, whilst Emma Watson is to me, rather wooden. It even comes through in the one line and look she has in that teaser... which I won't judge her on, but has me concerned.

I want this to be amazing.

Was everything CGI in that trailer? like Jungle Book? or are they sets (maybe with an effect over them)?

Ah, my bad! haha. Too excited. Like I said, I lost my shit!

I disagree with you though. Watson makes a brilliant Belle. Watch Goblet of Fire when they go to the Ball and imagine her pink dress as yellow. Definitely Belle!

Kendrick would also be a poor choice, in my opinion. She's good but not Belle. I'd have said Anne Hathaway or Emily Browning even but honestly, Watson will be great.

I can't do it. I need Disney to let me see it now!

Ewan McGregor is awesome. At least he's awesome in everything I've seen him.

Big Fish

Stay

The Men Who Stare at Goats

The Ghost Writer

Perfect Sense

By the way: Everybody should see Perfect Sense. An incredibly powerful movie.

You also get so see McGregor's dick.

@Sméagol based on my following "To-Watch-List", which movies would you recommend/add? You watch 8 million movies every year and seem to know a bit about thought provoking movies.

I Origins - seen

Funny Games

Unusual Suspects - seen

Mystic River

Triangle

Predestination

Her

The One I Love

Anomalisa

10 Cloverfield Lane

Spotlight

Deadpool - seen

The Danish Girl

Foxcatcher

The Big Short

The Revenant

Room

Blue Ruin

High Rise

The Shawshank Redemption

Precious

Solaris

Sicario

The Martian

The Man From Earth

Son of Saul

Filth

Snowpiercer

Midnight Special

The Last King of Scottland

Reality/Realité

Frank

Still Alice

Cop Car

The Lobster

Edited by drahkon

[..]

@Sméagol based on my following "To-Watch-List", which movies would you recommend/add? You watch 8 million movies every year and seem to know a bit about thought provoking movies.

I Origins - seen // Loved this one.

Funny Games // No comment, haven't seen this one.

Unusual Suspects - seen // "Unusual"? Must be the sequel I guess.

Mystic River // No comment, haven't seen this one.

Triangle // No comment, haven't seen this one.

Predestination // No comment, haven't seen this one.

Her // Great!

The One I Love // Make this one of your priorities. Especially this one, I think you'll love.

Anomalisa // Expected more of a Kaufman film.. Was ok, but ultimately didn't manage to excite me.

10 Cloverfield Lane // Cool thriller. People are mixed about the ending, but I personally loved it.

Spotlight // Well deserved Oscar. I think you want to make this one a priority as well.

Deadpool - seen // Was ok, but really made me want to see Deadpool in a good film.

The Danish Girl // Thought this one was good, great to see the impact of a transgender in that timeperiod, lovely acting.

Foxcatcher // Was ok.. I thought even with, I think 2,5 hours? They didn't manage to tell the whole story.. Better suited to a miniseries perhaps. But great performances.

The Big Short // Great.

The Revenant // Good.. But I personally prefer all previous films from the director over this. If you haven't already, I'd watch Biutiful especially.

Room // Great, though I preferred Frank.

Blue Ruin // Great!

High Rise // Another film which didn't really make me feel anything.. Was ok.

The Shawshank Redemption // What? You haven't seen this already? You don't know what you've been missing. It's Escape from Alcatraz but with a great story and drama.

Precious // No comment, haven't seen this one.

Solaris // Not sure if I've seen the remake completely.. No comment.

Sicario // Great action and drama.

The Martian // Great.

The Man From Earth // No comment, haven't seen this one.

Son of Saul // Personally thought this was shit, but I seem to be in the minority.

Filth // No comment, haven't seen this one.

Snowpiercer // Great.

Midnight Special // Saw this a few days ago, haven't posted about it yet.. But I thought it was just ok. Nothing too special unfortunately, had high hopes after Mud and Take shelter.

The Last King of Scottland // No comment, haven't seen this one.

Reality/Realité // Great mindfuck.

Frank // Absolutely hilarious.

Still Alice // Great!

Cop Car // Loved this.. Felt like a grittier kids adventure film..

The Lobster // Yes!

I don't know about "thought provoking".. There are various things I look for in a film, but not all of them have to be present in equal measure or at all even.. So they don't have to be thought provoking, as long as I'm entertained overall.

Of your list, I'd recommend seeing these films first (these are the current favourites amongst my favourites):

The One I Love

Spotlight

The Lobster

Frank

After that:

Realité

Still Alice

Her

Cop Car

The Shawshank Redemption

After that:

10 Cloverfield Lane

The Martian

Sicario

Blue Ruin

Snowpiercer

The Danish Girl

But I commented on each film individually in your spoiler.

Want more?

I've posted my favourites before, 2015 in the 2015 diary thread, and 2013 and 2014 (after I've reconstructed my lists.. I only started doing those properly since last year) in this very thread.. I even linked to them already in the film recommendations thread.

2013 & 2014

5 stars are my favourites, but I recommend 4 stars as well, so those lists should keep you busy. 3 stars depend on your taste, they're ok enough to see once, but I won't remember them, 2 stars are bad but at least I can see some effort has been made, 1 star is simply offensive (to me personally).

Still want more?

I'll try to reconstruct lists for earlier years, I always keep my tickets, so they are around here somewhere. I'll see what I can do in the coming weeks. I did however stumble upon some old text files on my computer, a few lists of my IFFR schedules, but not for every year unfortunately. But if you want some recommendations from those (earlier) IFFR lists:

Zatoichi

La meglio gioventù

Citizen dog

The host

Paprika

[REC]

Dainipponjin

Persepolis

Estômago

Un baisser, s'il vous plaît!

Let the right one in

J.C.V.D.

Rachel getting married

The Chaser

Bronson

I'm sure you know some of these, but not all of them. Citizen Dog I'd describe as the Thai Amélie. Estômago is an Brazilian film. Both are great.

And one more from Imagine Film Festival, then known as Amsterdam Fantastic Film Festival:

Tears for sale

A Serbian Fairtytale.

Though I believe ther's a butchered (US?) theatrical cut, so try to find the original cut.

Thanks @Sméagol : peace: I'll go through your posts in the film recommendations thread later :)

Can't believe I wrote "Unusual Suspects"...It's The Usual Suspects, obviously :laughing:

Sorry for the double post but fucking Christ... Edit: Nevermind, automerge!!!!

@Sméagol, The One I Love was amazing. Even though it could've been so much more, even though some of the conversations, scenes and the humor were annoying and even though the ending was predictable as fuck it was such a great movie.

Probably the weirdest "review" I've given.

I enjoyed the movie a lot. It was right up my alley. :bowdown:

Given that I love mindfuck movies and your comment about Realité was literally "Great mindfuck", I think that this will be my next movie.

Edited by drahkon
Automerged Doublepost

Thanks @Sméagol[..]

@Sméagol, The One I Love was amazing. Even though it could've been so much more, even though some of the conversations, scenes and the humor were annoying and even though the ending was predictable as fuck it was such a great movie.

Ehm, yeah! Glad to be of service! :p

Given that I love mindfuck movies and your comment about Realité was literally "Great mindfuck", I think that this will be my next movie.

If you're more into the weirder side of the film spectrum, I recommend seeing The lobster after Realité then.

I Origins - seen

Funny Games

Unusual Suspects - seen

Mystic River

Triangle

Predestination

Her

The One I Love

Anomalisa

10 Cloverfield Lane

Spotlight

Deadpool - seen

The Danish Girl

Foxcatcher

The Big Short

The Revenant

Room

Blue Ruin

High Rise

The Shawshank Redemption

Precious

Solaris

Sicario

The Martian

The Man From Earth

Son of Saul

Filth

Snowpiercer

Midnight Special

The Last King of Scottland

Reality/Realité

Frank

Still Alice

Cop Car

The Lobster

Just saw your list Drahkon, and I highly recommend 'Funny Games'. Both versions of it are virtually the same because they're by the same director, but seeing as your German it's probably best to go for the 1997 original. I'd say Arno Frisch's performance is a shade better than Michael Pitt's too.

Why is that?

The 1997 version was shot in Austria and is in German, the 2008 one was pretty much a shot for shot remake, but in English and starring more internationally known actors.

The films are virtually identical apart from the language they're in, so I guess it's just your personal preference as to which one you want to watch. I prefer the original one though.

The 1997 version was shot in Austria and is in German, the 2008 one was pretty much a shot for shot remake, but in English and starring more internationally known actors.

The films are virtually identical apart from the language they're in, so I guess it's just your personal preference as to which one you want to watch. I prefer the original one though.

I like the English language more than German so it's an easy choice for me : peace:

• 2 months later...

Watched The Little Prince last night. Never read the book (nor heard of it until someone told me about it recently) but I really enjoyed it.

Apparently the film adds a framing element around the book which seems to have gotten mixed responses, but I think it worked well. The 'real world' (as it were) characters look a bit generic 3D animation-ey but there's nice touches and the story-within-the-story stop motion animation is wonderful:

the-little-prince-animation-2.gif

The little stuffed fox in the real world is really cute too (different from the fox above). Nice movement animation on him (her?). The photography is also really good, some wonderful shots in the film.

I liked that the story itself was still written in French (and apparently the signage but I didn't notice). Nice way to honour the original book.

Anyone watched Jason Bourne? I found it to be surprisingly enjoyable, for all it's ridiculousness and repetitiveness. I find Damon pretty compelling in that role. The third act was real tense too. Ending on Extreme Ways is always a winner - for my money one of the most perfect franchise songs going.

Thought Star Trek was deeply disappointing though. The plot format seemed identical to the previous movie, Idris Elba was totally wasted, and I don't find any of the crew particularly interesting. Also hated, hated Justin Lin's penchant for spinning the camera a minimum of 180 degree in every shot.

Had the pleasure of watching Blade Runner at an arthouse cinema near me a few weeks ago. That film is incredible. Such astounding sets, and so wonderfully paced, with the kind of long, slow scenes that are absent from most big budget sci-fi these days.

New Denis Villeneuve:

Not going to watch anything else until the film is released.

Watched the first 30 seconds and turned it off, I think that's the sign of a good trailer! I'm well and truly sold. I've never seen any Denis Villeneuve but will have to watch some of his films now, makes me excited to see what he does with 'Blade Runner' too.

There seems to be an officialy trailer out now for Arrival, but I'm not going to watch it (or post it).

Something else:

I have no idea what the fuck is going on. The plot synopsis doesn't make it any clearer.. But it looks cool.

Edit: I just watched the red band trailer, and it actually alludes more to stuff from the plot synopsis.. Still though, not sure what's going on, haha. Here it is:

Edited by Sméagol