N-Europe

Super 8 (Movie)

Dog-amoto

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Had no intention of seeing this but got to see it see it for free today, so yeah.

It was ok. The child actors were very good, and not annoying. Usually children ruin films. Also written very respectfully, with good dialogue and depth to the characters, even the ones you don't find out much about.

Felt very like a mish-mash of those sorts of films, where children are inexplicably great, but it's fine.

I was over the alien after you found out it really wasn't very interesting at all. Some decent set pieces. The ending was meh.

Not bad, but not really my thing.

I watched it. Really boring. Took waaaaaayyyyy to long to get going.

Really? The big huzzah starts very early on into the film I found. It was paced fine.

Yeah I thought the pacing was fine.

But Paj, I agree with pretty much everything you've said about it. The alien was meh and the ending pretty much sucked, but the kids' movie at the end credits was entertaining, especially watching most of the audience watching it from the aisles.

Felt very like a mish-mash of those sorts of films, where children are inexplicably great, but it's fine.

Apparently, it was supposed to be 2 separate films, one being a kids movie where they make their own film and another monster movie. Not entirely sure about the specifics, but they ended up being put together.

Really? The big huzzah starts very early on into the film I found. It was paced fine.

Yeah I read someone mention pacing issues before I went to see it and I didn't notice. I was even looking for what they meant, but couldn't spot it. Seemed fine.

I really like the film. Not sure why, I just do.

I went and seen it last night with some mates. Two hated it, another thought it was alright and I loved it, which was surprising seeing as i'm not a fan of Abrams work, well apart from the Star Trek reboot.

I thought the kids in the movie were fantastic, especially Elle Fanning. They all seemed to work well together with each of them bringing something different to the group. When they were together on the screen it felt a little like the Goonies in places, usually when they were in a panic or just generally ripping into each other.

What became apparent when watching the movie was how good the kids acting was when compared to the kids in Harry Potter. It was easy to compare them after seeing the last Potter film and this so close together. It's amazing how much better the yanks are.

Another thing that I loved was the music in the film. The main theme that played throughout was amazing and really touching. I will be looking for the soundtrack at some point just for that song. :D

Easily one of the best, if not the best, film i've seen all summer. After the tripe that was Green Lantern, Pirates 4 and Transformers 3 it was nice to watch a film where I geniunely cared for the characters.

I thought that the alien was shown too late. And before that it just got annoying seeing things happening over and over again without knowing what the beast looked like or why it rampaged through the city. When you found out the movie was practically over.

Edited by drahkon

I watched this tonight and loved it. I thought it was brilliant. The kids were great in the film, especially the banter between them - it all felt really natural and not forced. Sounded like how kids would talk to each other rather than how adults think kids sound (except for the director kid - Charles? saying mint about 10 times in 2 minutes).

I thought the pacing was fine, things were revealed when it was natural in the story to do so.

The kids deduce that Woodward's evidence is in his trailer at the school and find out the alien's backstory and that's when we find out more about the alien and the psychic connection thing.

Some of it was a bit unrealistic but no more so than you'd expect from a sci-fi film.

I thought the 2 stories (the kid's film and 'real life') blended really well together and seeing the film in the end credits was a nice bonus.

Definitely going to get this on DVD when it's out.

I thought that the alien was shown too late. And before that it just got annoying seeing things happening over and over again without knowing what the beast looked like or why it rampaged through the city. When you found out the movie was practically over.

The point was the suspense. We've seen it all before really, haven't we? We've seen everything now with the fantastic cgi available. The alien wasn't particularly scary or original, so showing it would really have been a moot point. May as well have the suspense the townspeople have, be put in their place etc. There would have been no reason to show the alien.

The point was the suspense. We've seen it all before really, haven't we? We've seen everything now with the fantastic cgi available. The alien wasn't particularly scary or original, so showing it would really have been a moot point. May as well have the suspense the townspeople have, be put in their place etc. There would have been no reason to show the alien.

Very much this.

I saw this today, and thought it was better than the original Spielberg stuff that it's supposed to be a homage to. Very watchable, good acting, and nice suspense. My only real problems were the overabundance of cliches and cheesiness, but that was to be expected.

Edited by Supergrunch

Damn. I fucking loved this movie. I can't personally remember a better group of child actors/performances. Loved the characters, and how emotional it was from very early on - instantly connecting you to the main kid, and that like....0.5 second glance that director-dad gives director-mum when he politely declines dinner.

And the rest of it was awesome too. Way better than I thought it was going to be.

The alien was cute I wanted to squidge its nose. :)

Spoilers ahead.

Other than that the movie was meh.

The child acting is good, I enjoyed them filming their shizz and their general interactions. Elle Fanning was smooth. The first set piece with the blowing up train was really cool.

Hooked me into the film which built up some good suspense plus fleshed out the characters. Just after the build it didn't go anywhere interesting then ended.

The ending was so quick and lame. THE MOTHERS NECKLACE RETURNING...don't...let...go...

so amused by that. :p

Then its all I'm off now.

Alien out.

PEACE.

Shame I enjoyed the feel and setting of the movie at the beginning but they wasted it.

Oh Coolness you just reminded me of something...

When they're captured in the school, one of the soldiers takes the main kid's necklace from him. Why on Earth would they do that? It seemed so random. Obviously it was to add insult to injury but there didn't seem to be any real reason for the army guy to take it =\ other than he was being a cunt.

Oh Coolness you just reminded me of something...

When they're captured in the school, one of the soldiers takes the main kid's necklace from him. Why on Earth would they do that? It seemed so random. Obviously it was to add insult to injury but there didn't seem to be any real reason for the army guy to take it =\ other than he was being a cunt.

Maybe because they thought it could be used as a weapon? Did seem kind of silly though.

Saw this last night.

Was much better than I expected, and also alot jumpier too. On quite a few occasions I was caught off guard and jumped.

Did really enjoy it, but the bit that killed it for me..

When they are in the caves, and the Alien picks the kid up, then the Alien open's his eyes and then all of a sudden it's as if this big bad motherfucking Alien is like a big soppy eyed puppy.

generally really enjoyed it till the last 15 or so minutes. The kids home made movie was great though.