Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

CV help

Caris

I've been touching up my CV today as I've been having pretty poor luck on the whole job hunting thing. But I'm still not really happy with it, I'm fine with the first page which has my qualifications, work experience etc on. The second page though, is a different story. There is nothing in particular I don't like, I just have a feeling it could be better.

So if anyone has any input it would be greatly appreciated.

Here it is.

screenshot20110218at170.png

The interests bit make me feel a little concerned.

Your currently reading, it feels that you’ll constantly be changing it to reflect what you’re reading which screams desperation and that you’re trying to brag somehow. Also depending on whoever you’re applying to, whoever reads it could dislike what you’re reading, which may impact their response.

And the “I have been producing video” doesn’t seem to make sense. Video what? Games, consoles, VHS?

I'd get rid of the interests section completely. I've never understood that. The employer doesn't care if you are into the LOTR or enjoy going to concerts. Don't just list things, show what you have got from it and how it makes you a better person/more suitable for the job. If you can't think how it does then it doesn't belong in your CV.

This is quite helpful.

http://www.kent.ac.uk/careers/cv/goodbadCV.htm

Also get rid of those ridiculous bullet points and make the text black (who do you think you are? Daft?).

And there's no need to put the references bit in. They won't be wanting them at the CV stage, and if they want them, they'll ask for them.

And make the layout much neater (or as Daft says, "unugly"). At the minute it looks like you've just typed it out in word.

As everybody has said, scrap the reading part altogether. If I was an employer, I couldn't care if you were reading Lord of the Rings or Spot the Dog...unless you were looking for work in Waterstones but even so, just put that you like to read books.

Other than that, I can't see any problems...

I'd make it unugly. Looks count.

you've also got too many I's me's mine's etc try and limit the amount of times you use them.

These two are the big ones for me. It doesn't look very nice at all, I'm guessing the lines down the side are just layout things but the font/bullet points really do nothing for me. A CV should be third person, I'd get rid of all of the I's, me's etc. Your skills should be a very basic list, or else you need to show why you have these skills. You could write all sorts of things as skills, if there's no backup to it then why should anyone believe you?

Caris, I see thousands of CV's a year and do this for a living. I would recommend starting with the following:

Remove the fancy bullet points. Consistency is key. Also, you are using bullet points with large amounts of text. I would therefore remove the bullet points all together or reduce what you are trying to say.

Third person as others have rightly pointed out. Though I find this this not to be a massive issue.

'Interests' should go if you have plenty of other work-related experiences to talk about.

Talk about how you can benefit a company. A CV gets you the interview, not the job. Talk about the things you have improved in other companies, what you can bring etc...

Mention your SKILLS and demonstrate where you have applied them and any outcomes this has produced. CV's are becoming more skills focused. If you're unsure use something like jobs4u and look for skills and personal qualities in jobs you've previously done.

Finally, ALWAYS have references. An employer will rarely 'seek' them out even if they are available upon request. This can be make or break. I've seen long term unemployed people change this one facet and change their lives.

Also, why have your skills/strengths hidden on the second page? They should follow a personal profile/personal information section. Sell yourself swiftly.

If you are applying for a particular job use a person spec in your skills/strengths field to look tailor made for the job. If there's no person spec use the job description and match it as much as possible.

Remember, it could just be an office temp ticking a checklist against a person spec that is getting you the interview. If the company has put info out there - mimic it. Simple yet super effective.

Also - for anyone job seeking, go see a Next Step adviser. It's free and they can actually help you get you back into work and get you setting your goals (and your life changes) faster and more effectively than a job seekers adviser ever will. They also offer CV support. Your local college/job centre should have one. Up to you though but the support is there and it's free.

Edited by tapedeck

It also needs to be a bit more eye-catching. Nothing fancy. Perhaps a line across the page at the top of bottom with "Curriculum Vitae | Name Here" on the top left (above the line) and bottom right (below the line). Use tables for stuff like qualifications with the header with a grey background.

It also needs to be a bit more eye-catching. Nothing fancy. Perhaps a line across the page at the top of bottom with "Curriculum Vitae | Name Here" on the top left (above the line) and bottom right (below the line). Use tables for stuff like qualifications with the header with a grey background.

I don't see the point in writing Curriculum Vitae. They know what it is. When you buy a book you don't see "Book" written across it.

I don't see the point in writing Curriculum Vitae. They know what it is. When you buy a book you don't see "Book" written across it.

Yeah, it won't help adding Curriculum Vitae on it.

Also a good thing to do is make a different CV for different sectors you apply for, it's key to big yourself up and show what will benefit the company. So have a CV for Web design and a CV for Retail for example.

Another thing to do is give an example when you state your strengths, unless you can back it up then your just bragging.

Edited by Emerald Emblem

It was a suggestion to simply to make it appear more professional. The look of it is important - it's less likely to be skimmed through/thrown aside.

Ah, okay. started my CV all over again this morning and just finished the rough draft. Few things to point out, it hasn't had a full spell check, I'm dyslexic so yes it might contain a few grammar errors. Also I will add my references on later today. Last of all I would like to include one more skill so I can have 4 skills and 4 interests. if anyone can think of something be sure to let me know as I'm struggling on this one last thing. I don't know what to add as I've said a lot in my profile at the start.

ne1l.jpg

redonecv2.jpg