NEurope
Aneres11

PlayStation Vita Console Discussion

Oh please.

Let's agree on the first thing worth mention - the 3DS itself is a shit console. As in, the hardware. Because Nintendo don't like making good hardware anymore. Something to do with profit margins. This relates to the point that multi format releases are almost certainly best on the Vita, and always will be (e.g. Virtue's Last Reward).

The games. Come on now, the vast majority of the top selling 3DS titles are so formulaic; Mario platformers and Mario Kart in particular. Even Professor Layton is recycling the same types of puzzles over and over.

There comes a point where you admit that replaying the same game over and over and over just isn't fun anymore. At least the Vita has some nice original titles, or some titles that aren't in their 6th iteration, and some more coming. Not just the same old shit, year after year.

Fair enough, although NSMB2 bored me senseless, 3D land is utterly incredible. And you mention the franchise games... that's like me solely judging the vita on wipeout, cod, assassins creed, mortal kombat, virtua tennis etc etc

How about Kid Icarus, Rhythm Thief, pullblox, mighty switch force, pilot wings all the software coming like Wright vs layton, project x zone, castlevania etc.

What a ridiculous argument about 3ds just has old games and vita has loads of new stuff, I'd bet there at least double new titles for ads and coming than Vita. You dont like the 3ds games thats one thing, but to say it's just rehashes and vita is full of new original content is beyond laughable.

Oh please.

Let's agree on the first thing worth mention - the 3DS itself is a shit console. As in, the hardware. Because Nintendo don't like making good hardware anymore. Something to do with profit margins. This relates to the point that multi format releases are almost certainly best on the Vita, and always will be (e.g. Virtue's Last Reward).

The games. Come on now, the vast majority of the top selling 3DS titles are so formulaic; Mario platformers and Mario Kart in particular. Even Professor Layton is recycling the same types of puzzles over and over.

There comes a point where you admit that replaying the same game over and over and over just isn't fun anymore. At least the Vita has some nice original titles, or some titles that aren't in their 6th iteration, and some more coming. Not just the same old shit, year after year.

The way nintendo make hardware is similar to how they have always made hardware. You can go back to the snes to see they were never ahead of the curve. It's not a new thing and it's a myth that somehow in the last 5-10 years nintendo made poorer hardware than the competition. It's pretty much always been like that. Just compare the gameboy to the competition in the 90's.

As for criticising a machine because of what games sell the most. That's a ridiculous argument. That doesn't mean there isn't other games to play at all.

Guess what if GT was released on the vita it would sell the most. What's your point?

The funny thing is the vita would kill for a Mario or an animal Crossing right now so people actually bought the damn thing.

Edited by liger05

The way nintendo make hardware is similar to how they have always made hardware. You can go back to the snes to see they were never ahead of the curve. It's not a new thing and it's a myth that somehow in the last 5-10 years nintendo made poorer hardware than the competition. It's pretty much always been like that. Just compare the gameboy to the competition in the 90's.

As for criticising a machine because of what games sell the most. That's a ridiculous argument. That doesn't mean there isn't other games to play at all.

Guess what if GT was released on the vita it would sell the most. What's your point?

The funny thing is the vita would kill for a Mario or an animal Crossing right now so people actually bought the damn thing.

It isn't a myth at all. The N64 was ahead of the PS1 as a 64 bit console, while the gamecube was actually ahead of the PS2, graphically speaking. It's only the last 2 handhelds and consoles where they've been so far behind, to the extent that a lot of multi format titles won't come out on their consoles.

Yet in both cases of the N64 and Gamecube, Nintendo still made choices that "limited" the systems in other ways. Mainly the media type teh games were on.

The N64 stayed using carts, the Gamecube had those smaller than standard discs.

Both things added up to both those consoles suffered from a lack of multiformat titles. As dazzy and Liger were saying this isn't something that started just with the Wii for Nintendo.

They have a way of doing things their own way that's how it has always been.

Liger mentioned the Gameboy which is a great example. It didn't even have colours yet it destroyed the much more technically advanced GameGear because it had more games people wanted to play. Just cause those games now on the 3DS might be a lot of sequels doesn't make the console itself poor. It's those games that are selling the console after all. And there are many more games out there and coming too.

Yet in both cases of the N64 and Gamecube, Nintendo still made choices that "limited" the systems in other ways. Mainly the media type teh games were on.

The N64 stayed using carts, the Gamecube had those smaller than standard discs.

Both things added up to both those consoles suffered from a lack of multiformat titles. As dazzy and Liger were saying this isn't something that started just with the Wii for Nintendo.

They have a way of doing things their own way that's how it has always been.

Liger mentioned the Gameboy which is a great example. It didn't even have colours yet it destroyed the much more technically advanced GameGear because it had more games people wanted to play. Just cause those games now on the 3DS might be a lot of sequels doesn't make the console itself poor. It's those games that are selling the console after all. And there are many more games out there and coming too.

I'm not bothered about the media type the consoles used, just whether they are giving you value for money (which evidently with the Wii U they aren't) and whether their machine is capable of running games that the competition can.

Since it can't, you're often going to be reliant on Nintendo for the top tier titles, which I can honestly say for the most part don't interest me anymore due to their highly conserved nature.

The thing is, the N64 carts weren't a result of Nintendo frugally economising; the cartridges were significantly more expensive to produce than optical disks. The Gamecubes small disks were a result of wanting to curb piracy, so that's pretty much valid, but you're sidestepping the argument here. The Gamecube was not only significantly advantaged over the PS2 in terms of graphical power, but it had almost twice the processing clock speed. Perhaps it didn't help their corporate bottom line, but it did produce things like Wind Waker and Metroid Prime; both games that wouldn't have really been possible on the best selling home console of their time, and also both that are symbolic of a time where Nintendo took creative chances on big budget titles, albeit within the scaffolding of already established brands.

The way nintendo make hardware is similar to how they have always made hardware. You can go back to the snes to see they were never ahead of the curve.

But the Neo Geo was double the price of the SNES, and has since been mostly forgotten.

Vita Plus update!

13th March: Metal Gear Solid HD Collection

20th March: Puddle

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSS!! Reeeeaaaally toyed with getting MGS because 3 is amazing. Now it's free that's £20 saved. BOOOOOOOOOOM.

Plus is the best thing ever.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/02/21/sony-will-not-cut-price-of-ps-vita-outside-of-japan

"When you compare the pricing of PS Vita across regions because of the value of the Yen, in Japan the system has been priced the highest," Yoshida said. "We have been selling the PS Vita for 25,000 Yen — that's more than $250 when you compare the exchange rate. It's a region-by-region based decision, always."

boooooo i want a price cut, especially on those damn memory cards, they need it more than the console

I was about to buy a 32GB memory card just now because of MGS, then I saw the price. I'll wait for E3, if there isn't a price cut I'll bit the bullet...it's just a one off payment, I'll whisper to myself as I cry myself to sleep.

I knew never getting around to buying Metal Gear Solid 2 and Metal Gear Solid 3 would pay off at some point.

Now I just need to either replay The Twin Snakes or play the PS1 original to jog my memory.

And I hear Peace Walker is worth playing.

Maybe I should play the other PSP game too.

And those weird card games, if the stories are any good.

And afterwards, I'd need to play Metal Gear Solid 4, of course.

And there's that new Raiden game out now too.

Maybe I'm just obsessive enough to start with the first Metal Gear game and work my way up.

Oh God.

I knew never getting around to buying Metal Gear Solid 2 and Metal Gear Solid 3 would pay off at some point.

Now I just need to either replay The Twin Snakes or play the PS1 original to jog my memory.

Maybe I should play the other PSP game too.

And those weird card games, if the stories are any good.

And afterwards, I'd need to play Metal Gear Solid 4, of course.

And there's that new Raiden game out now too.

Maybe I'm just obsessive enough to start with the first Metal Gear game and work my way up.

Oh God.

play the first/ one on an emulator so you can use save states it will avoid rage fisting a tv screen - the difficulty curve is immense, its normal mode is like insanity mode on anything else, this was 80's difficult remember

I watched part of a Let's Play for the first Metal Gear, and most of the difficulty seemed to come from having to wander around aimlessly looking for things scattered all over the map.

So I'm not very enthusiastic about playing it.

I actually made it to the final boss in Snake's Revenge back in the day, but it was the nineties and I could never figure out how to beat it. :sad:

Anyway, I'm MegaTen crazy at the moment, so this is very ill-timed.

It's not in the Vita version.

Still, it's great for me, too. I still remember TTS pretty well, but had no idea how to play MGS4 (which I own).

So now having the middle two games is great.

MGS3 has the best ending ever.

Except for Majora's Mask, but then I consider the whole game an ending because it all seemed so final and sad and drastic and brilliant.

Also it was the last flawless Nintendo game.

It's not in the Vita version.

Well, yes, that was my point. :heh:

I still remember having to look through the manual halfway through The Twin Snakes to find out how to perform a specific move to get past an obstacle. The Metal Gear Solid series is a bit of a mess.

I was about to buy a 32GB memory card just now because of MGS, then I saw the price. I'll wait for E3, if there isn't a price cut I'll bit the bullet...it's just a one off payment, I'll whisper to myself as I cry myself to sleep.

I got a 32GB card after suffering with a 4GB for months.

It totally transformed my Vita into something way more useful.

Also, PS+ pretty much makes the 32GB card essential.

I'm on an 8GB that I got with the launch bundle...so it's not amazingly bad. So I can hold off for now. I'm not too bothered about redownloading stuff.

Where did you grab yours from?

I'm on an 8GB that I got with the launch bundle...so it's not amazingly bad. So I can hold off for now. I'm not too bothered about redownloading stuff.

Where did you grab yours from?

I got it from Amazon and used a £25 gift voucher towards it. Even for £35 it made me wince a little. But it is worth it, especially with PS+!

Shock horror. I'm not even sure a BioShock game would be good on the Vita. Unless it were an RPG. I gat time for dat.

jesus i wish Sony would cut the price, get a large user base and then maybe just maybe developers might actully bother with the Vita, its so much of a joke it makes the PSP look like the DS

Need some help with a Vita I just bought from Amazon Warehouse. It arrived today but I can't get it to turn on, and charging doesn't look like it's doing anything (no lights). Am I missing something or is it dead, Jim?

Update: Tried plugging the USB cable into my phone adapter, still nothing which rules that out. Could be the USB cable but the only one who sells them is GAME and their shipping is slow.

Edited by Ike

God damn!

My friend was on HotUKDeals (i sound like an advert here) and found a deal last night for the Vita with Little big planet and a memory card on Amazon.de for......*drum roll*......£135!, which he bought instantly!

and its expired now as its back upto 199 euro's for it from the 147euro something it was up at last night

EDIT the original entry

I'm thinking they should just market the Vita as the Persona 4 machine.