NEurope
Aneres11

PlayStation Vita Console Discussion

I am looking at the Z not S. Pricing is in line with the iPhone.

http://www.sonymobile.com/gb/products/phones/xperia-z/

I suppose the Nexus 4 is a lot less risky for a newcomer like me and will do the job more than adequately given its price. Looking for something exciting though :p

Yeah I meant the Z sorry. But how on Earth is the Nexus 4 not exciting? It is the current must have phone, and the specs are great. Do you really need much better? If so, why?

'In line with iPhone' is the single worse justification for the price of a phone ever. Nothing should be in line with the cost of an iPhone, they're monumentally overpriced.

they're monumentally overpriced.

Not as overpriced as some Android phones. The Nexus is great value as its sold at a loss. I'll look into it as its a nice phone and maybe the best way to get into android.

Not as overpriced as some Android phones. The Nexus is great value as its sold at a loss. I'll look into it as its a nice phone and maybe the best way to get into android.

The Nexus 4 isn't sold at a loss, that was debunked. It's sold without a hideous profit margin.

What android phone is so much more than £530?

You should read up on the Nexus 4, you have got an opinion of it that it's cheap from somewhere, which I don't really think is true.

Could a mod please rename this thread to The Big Thread About Smartphones and Not the Vita?

Shhhhh, there are people in the Vita thread. You'll scare them away.

The Nexus 4 isn't sold at a loss, that was debunked. It's sold without a hideous profit margin.

What android phone is so much more than £530?

You should read up on the Nexus 4, you have got an opinion of it that it's cheap from somewhere, which I don't really think is true.

Its not exactly cutting edge though. Where is my 1080p screen? LTE? card slot? Its a nice device still and I may just go get it due to the price and for the software. I prefer to the other android phones actually.

None of the phone stuff out right now excites me that much. The vita at least is exciting to use, very powerful and polished. Gadget wise you need that x factor.

Its not exactly cutting edge though. Where is my 1080p screen? LTE? card slot? Its a nice device still and I may just go get it due to the price and for the software. I prefer to the other android phones actually.

None of the phone stuff out right now excites me that much. The vita at least is exciting to use, very powerful and polished. Gadget wise you need that x factor.

How is card slot cutting edge? Surely this is over a decade old?

Why do we need 1080p on a tiny screen?! This is the resolution of most current TVs over 32 inches. The nexus 4 has a 320 DPI screen...I don't see how this needs to be higher, let alone if we could tell much difference if if was higher.

Can you really justify these small things for over double the cost?

How is card slot cutting edge? Surely this is over a decade old?

Why do we need 1080p on a tiny screen?! This is the resolution of most current TVs over 32 inches. The nexus 4 has a 320 DPI screen...I don't see how this needs to be higher, let alone if we could tell much difference if if was higher.

Can you really justify these small things for over double the cost?

Its less than double though.

1080p is handy. 443 ppi screen. Even harder to make out pixels. Check this out:

Sony-Xperia-Z-screen-comparison-more-camera-samples-emerge.jpg

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Sony-Xperia-Z-screen-comparison-more-camera-samples-emerge_id38887#3-

Note how the Samsung OLED has an odd pixel arrangement. Thank god the Vita doesnt do this.

Its less than double though.

1080p is handy. 443 ppi screen. Even harder to make out pixels. Check this out:

Sony-Xperia-Z-screen-comparison-more-camera-samples-emerge.jpg

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Sony-Xperia-Z-screen-comparison-more-camera-samples-emerge_id38887#3-

Note how the Samsung OLED has an odd pixel arrangement. Thank god the Vita doesnt do this.

It's more than double. £240 x 2 = 480. You could buy 2 Nexus 4's and have £50 left over.

That image is very, very misleading. All it shows is that if you zoom in far enough to a degree that the eye never could, you will eventually pick out those extra pixels. Since when would you see individual pixels as chunky blocks with your eye?

Sure you'll notice a big jump from say going from the standard to a retina display on the iPhone.

Going much higher than 320 ppi though?

money-to-burn-JPG_120425.jpg

Shhhhh, there are people in the Vita thread. You'll scare them away.

At least when no one's posting in this thread, you don't get your hopes dashed every time you click on it.

"Hey, someone's actually discussing the Vita! Nope, more smartphone talk." :sad:

Hey guys, I was thinking about buying a Vita. Just a couple of quick questions:

How does the operating system compare with the latest smart phones out there?

Is it good at making phone calls?

Is it good at making phone calls?

You can make calls though the Microsoft™ Skype software.

It's more than double. £240 x 2 = 480. You could buy 2 Nexus 4's and have £50 left over.

That image is very, very misleading. All it shows is that if you zoom in far enough to a degree that the eye never could, you will eventually pick out those extra pixels. Since when would you see individual pixels as chunky blocks with your eye?

Sure you'll notice a big jump from say going from the standard to a retina display on the iPhone.

Going much higher than 320 ppi though?

money-to-burn-JPG_120425.jpg

My apps on the iphone take up more than 8gb. It has to be 16gb. there is no expansion slot either. Weird choices. But the internals are top notch otherwise.

Also yes i can see pixels on these phones. Havent seen 1080p but it will be nicer. Look at the ipad.

Also yes i can see pixels on these phones. Havent seen 1080p but it will be nicer. Look at the ipad.

What do you mean by "look at the iPad"? The pixels are easier to see than all those phones, bar the HTC One SV.

What do you mean by "look at the iPad"? The pixels are easier to see than all those phones, bar the HTC One SV.

Its 4 times the res of the next best phone shown there. Its nice. It will do justice to the Chrome logo.

Before we know it there will be 4k phones :p

Anyone wonder what was the point of the Vita 3G?

Higher resolution, yes, but those pictures are comparing PPI, not resolution.

Plus, the Nexus 10 has an even higher resolution, if you want to compare similar devices.

Sony really need to make an official price drop on the Vita, it's been out almost a year and GameStop have a WiFi model + 4Gb + Need for Speed for £140.

Price drop, redesign and a soft-relaunch - pretty much exactly what the PS3 went through - and it could get going.

They need to drop the memory card prices. With how digital-orientated the Vita is, I honestly can't recommend it to anyone with the current memory card prices.

My apps on the iphone take up more than 8gb. It has to be 16gb. there is no expansion slot either. Weird choices. But the internals are top notch otherwise.

Even if you get the £279 version it's still nearly half the price of the Xperia Z.

You can't say whether you can tell the difference or not in those images. That's what you're not getting.

Those images are very zoomed in. So you don't know, if you were to look at say the last 2 phones in real life at a standard distance, whether the pixel difference is really noticeable. I personally don't think there will be much noticeable improvement beyond 320 PPI on a small phone.

Just got an email from Amazon saying that Virtue's Last Reward has been delayed to the 9th of March. :blank:

Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?

Well, Jet Set Radio is free on PS+, so it's ok.

Have been playing Uncharted: Golden Abyss last week. Well...it's boring. Characters are bland, story is predictable and the game is the same as every other Uncharted game. Had enough of those.

Probably won't finish it.

When Drake was pointing the gun at Dante, he should've killed him. THAT would've been something refreshing.

Edited by drahkon

Even if you get the £279 version it's still nearly half the price of the Xperia Z.

You can't say whether you can tell the difference or not in those images. That's what you're not getting.

Those images are very zoomed in. So you don't know, if you were to look at say the last 2 phones in real life at a standard distance, whether the pixel difference is really noticeable. I personally don't think there will be much noticeable improvement beyond 320 PPI on a small phone.

I know what you mean but one is a premium device with premium pricing. The other isnt either. Its still not cheap as you are saying and should i spend so much on another gadget? Which i may not even like? Its not like either product is sold at a loss like the vita which can outperform a new iPad. I do think its wose to not spend so much though. You are right there. Hence I am taking the Nexus seriously. I might as well stream music with my Music Unlimited account. That 16gb can then be free for other stuff.

I'll see closer to the Xperia Z's release. The Galaxy S4 and a HTC One should be announced by then. I do like the Xperia Z's premium approach though its like a direct Android alternative to the iPhone. The Galaxy S are like comparing a HP laptop to a Macbook pro.

Edited by Choze

@Ashley, can we please get a thread rip of all this smartphone talk? I would make it worth your while, obviously.

Just got an email from Amazon saying that Virtue's Last Reward has been delayed to the 9th of March. :blank:

Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?

Import it? That's what I would have done if I'd owned a Vita when the game was released in the US (plus you'd be able to choose between Japanese and English voices). :heh:

I agree that Golden Abyss is Uncharted by the numbers, but that's kind of what I liked about it. If the original Uncharted had had the writing of that game and the gameplay of this, it would have been a much better game.

Does anyone know if there are plans to bring the white Vita to Europe?

Interested in picking one up again as prices seem pretty good right now, and I'd like to make use of my PS Plus membership.

However, the white looks sexy and i'd be gutted if it got a European / UK release just as I buy a black one!

I just beat the Jet Set Radio tutorial. Gaming achievement of the year, right there.